Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chargers Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

After the off season he has had i think AJ has bought himself a bit of time. The roster has suffered from lack of depth the last two years but has gone part of the way to resolving it. I'd be happy to give AJ another off season, a lot of players out of contract next year and i'd rather have the person we know in charge. One of the things i don't like about AJ is he doesn't seem to value the OL enough, never drafts them high. His loyalty to Norv is a bit worrying
    Norv is at a point where he has to win big this year, play-offs shouldn't be enough to save his job, a deep play-off run is what he needs.

Rochey18 wrote: »
    I would agree with that, his draft record is pretty solid except for players suffering from injury.

I would love Norv as our offensive cordinator, cant understand why he still in a job.

One problem I have with AJ is free agency, he is far too conservative. Did change it up this year, really like all the signings this year.

I really hope he stays on next year regardless of results because this roster was stacked with talent and our coaches didnt get the job done, while AJ did it perfectly.

Couldn't agree more, was really wishing we could have given Ron Rivera the Head Coach and kept Norv on, obviously wishful thinking but can't help think we'd have been a better team

So thoughts from last night are mostly positive, team came out and for the first time in the last 2 seasons didn’t get bullied by the Raiders at the line of scrimmage (Harris had a really solid game for a rookie and an unbelievable one for someone who went undrafted). The offence struggled to finish off drives but I think a large problem was the lack of a running game, hopefully Matthews will come back and force defences to respect the run because 32yards obviously isn't good enough.

It was great seeing Rivers come out and control the game better than last year, he didn’t seem to feel the need to force plays, I think the WRs we have now will be able to cause a lot of problems. Rivers baited Kelly across the line twice by doing a hard count, media isn’t giving him any credit for it. No interceptions was brilliant and Gates looked good, dropped 2 balls that he should have got but he also made catches that very few others could.

Our front 7 looked really good last night, managed to stop the run which has been an issue and we won’t have to face players of DMC quality too often. Pass rush was poor in the first half but they really went after Palmer in the second. The strength in depth here is going to be a huge asset for us.

Butler is a beast in the centre and Jammer looked back to his old form which is a huge relief. Bigby had a very nice performance, hopefully he can stay injury free. Thought Cason was a bit unlucky with some of the calls against him.

Special teams looked great but even I felt sorry for the raiders reserve LS. Kaeding looked better than ever and I thought we looked a lot more dangerous returning the ball this year.

Overall it was a solid performance to start on and division wins are always important. Not sure how good we are or how bad the raiders are but for the first game of the season I’m happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Just watched the game...

Butler and Jammer impressed, like u said delighted for Jammer, long may it continue. Bigby was around the ball.

O line were v v poor run blocking. I am not liking our interior line already. Harris did a great job all things considered.

Gates had an off nite hopefully no more of those. English wasn't in that often but I watched him closely when he was in, v poor.

Don't like Nate but 5 FGs on the baseball diamond, nice nite.

Leslie91 wrote: »
    Just watched the game...

Butler and Jammer impressed, like u said delighted for Jammer, long may it continue. Bigby was around the ball.

O line were v v poor run blocking. I am not liking our interior line already. Harris did a great job all things considered.

Gates had an off nite hopefully no more of those. English wasn't in that often but I watched him closely when he was in, v poor.

Don't like Nate but 5 FGs on the baseball diamond, nice nite.

Only had watched it live and didn't remember seeing English on the field at all, will be disappointed if he stays healthy and doesn't perform.

I think the OL run blocking was poor but there was no acceleration out of our RBs to take advance of any holes they did open. Brown looked awful and is specifically a 3rd down back, Brinkley has a good top speed but takes him a while to get there. Matthews health is more important than ever.

Wright and Jammer injured, think its time to get a 5th CB on the roster. Any ideas who'd be good to go after? I was thinking we could try re-sign Dante Hughes, he's a FA and knows the scheme, think as a 5th CB he could be ok but i'm not too familiar with who else is on the market.

• Advertisement

OAOB wrote: »
    Only had watched it live and didn't remember seeing English on the field at all, will be disappointed if he stays healthy and doesn't perform.

I think the OL run blocking was poor but there was no acceleration out of our RBs to take advance of any holes they did open. Brown looked awful and is specifically a 3rd down back, Brinkley has a good top speed but takes him a while to get there. Matthews health is more important than ever.

Wright and Jammer injured, think its time to get a 5th CB on the roster. Any ideas who'd be good to go after? I was thinking we could try re-sign Dante Hughes, he's a FA and knows the scheme, think as a 5th CB he could be ok but i'm not too familiar with who else is on the market.

You watched it live!?, fair play.

I had to avoid boards and all other internet yesterday until I got home to watch it. I agree with your point ref acceleration, Brown esp looked real slow. He seems to only run at half speed. Even still our guards were not winning their one on ones. I wonder could Troutman have beaten either of them out were he healthy. Vasquez is in his contract year too, I met the guy in 09 and he appeared v laid back, his play looks that way too unfortunately.

Dante Hughes I've no issue with, he'd be very welcome back. I was hearing that Wright had almost past Gilchrist in the coaches opinion too so this could be a big set back for him and us.

I see we've brought in Reggie Wells as a backup at O line. Scary to think we go the whole of camp with the likes of Schilling, Henderson and others and not one of em is seen as capable as Reggie. I see Reggie was most recently with the Pack.

Other thoughts - what was with the 3 man pass rush, I saw it at least once maybe twice, before we went into prevent giving up the long one at end of game?. I hate seeing a 3 man pass rush, reminds me of Cottrell and Manusky. Jeeez.

All in all though a win away in Oakland I am v happy with and surely we'll have enough for Tennessee. I fear for our chances against Atlanta week 3 though.

You watched it live!?, fair play.

I had to avoid boards and all other internet yesterday until I got home to watch it. I agree with your point ref acceleration, Brown esp looked real slow. He seems to only run at half speed. Even still our guards were not winning their one on ones. I wonder could Troutman have beaten either of them out were he healthy. Vasquez is in his contract year too, I met the guy in 09 and he appeared v laid back, his play looks that way too unfortunately.

Dante Hughes I've no issue with, he'd be very welcome back. I was hearing that Wright had almost past Gilchrist in the coaches opinion too so this could be a big set back for him and us.

I see we've brought in Reggie Wells as a backup at O line. Scary to think we go the whole of camp with the likes of Schilling, Henderson and others and not one of em is seen as capable as Reggie. I see Reggie was most recently with the Pack.

Other thoughts - what was with the 3 man pass rush, I saw it at least once maybe twice, before we went into prevent giving up the long one at end of game?. I hate seeing a 3 man pass rush, reminds me of Cottrell and Manusky. Jeeez.

All in all though a win away in Oakland I am v happy with and surely we'll have enough for Tennessee. I fear for our chances against Atlanta week 3 though.

I'm off work this week so was able to watch it live, wouldn't stay up if i'd work.

Vasquez seems to have all the skills but as a guard his aggressiveness seems to be lacking, especially for someone his size. Is Troutman & Dombrowski available to be put on the roster after week 6?

Just saw about the Wells signing, know nothing about him but added depth there is good, probably means Gaither isn't coming back anytime soon.

Yeah our defence was really annoying for the raiders TD, we had been collapsing the pocket on all their drives in the second half and then we just sat back and let them drive down the field and score, thankfully we were far enough ahead. I guess i just like aggressive defence.

I think Tennessee will be a better version of the raiders and it'll be good to see Wimberley against Harrris to see how secure he is. Our offence need to click next week because in all likelihood it'll be a shootout in Atlanta.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

First game I missed in a long time, god damn BBC :mad:

Was reading a blog and Wright was meant to play the slot ahead of Gilchrist.
    I know ive been reading all camp that both have improved massively, so this is great that Wright is like getting a new play because he never played last year.

Really need a corner on the roster. I always thought going with 4 was too short to begin with.

Acce said he expects Jammer to play this weekend.

I love Butler delighted he had a big game, seems to have matured so quick.
    Fantastic new that Bigby played well too, was expecting to wake up Tuesday to the news he had got injured.

Really need Mathews back, im sure he will help in the redzone too.
    Hopefully Gates shakes off the cobwebs.

First game I missed in a long time, god damn BBC :mad:

Had to stream the game because i'm with UPC, can't believe ESPN America wouldn't pick up the rights.

Gilchrist and Wright have come on a lot and look like they could contribute big time this year which is something we need from them. Jammer is a broken hand so it shouldn't affect his play.

Now that we've signed Wells someone will have to be cut to get a 5th CB, i'd imagine Spurlock might be in trouble as Goodman was ahead of him for returns and i didn't see much of him on offence

Had to stream the game because i'm with UPC, can't believe ESPN America wouldn't pick up the rights.

Gilchrist and Wright have come on a lot and look like they could contribute big time this year which is something we need from them. Jammer is a broken hand so it shouldn't affect his play.

Now that we've signed Wells someone will have to be cut to get a 5th CB, i'd imagine Spurlock might be in trouble as Goodman was ahead of him for returns and i didn't see much of him on offence

U don't have gamepass?

If we go after a 5th corner I could see us cutting Lynch, Battle/Brown or Rosario. I like Spurlock alot, I'd cut any of those 3 before him. Ronnie Brown looked real old out there. With Mathews back, one of those guys is history.

• Advertisement

I don't see the value in gamepass at all, with so many good streams around, reason I missed it was laptop was getting repaired.

Im sure we will cut one of the running backs when mathews is back.
    I could see us maybe cutting Lynch and then trying to resign him when Mathews is back.

I seen a tweet, not sure if its true that Kaeding broke the record for most touchbacks in a game out side of Denver.
    I remember he couldn't reach the endzone kicking from 30 and just got it in the endzone last pre season.

I don't see the value in gamepass at all, with so many good streams around, reason I missed it was laptop was getting repaired.

Im sure we will cut one of the running backs when mathews is back.
    I could see us maybe cutting Lynch and then trying to resign him when Mathews is back.

I seen a tweet, not sure if its true that Kaeding broke the record for most touchbacks in a game out side of Denver.
    I remember he couldn't reach the endzone kicking from 30 and just got it in the endzone last pre season

I was noticing this during the game and a number of times the Raider returner either didn't try v hard to catch the ball or caught it and took a knee ie. decided to not return it. Hopefully Nate is kicking it further but quite a bit of what happened mon nite had to do with the Raiders returners being so poor/conservative.

I couldn't justify splashing out on gamepass and as Rochey18 says lots of good quality streams so they'll do me.

I don't think we'll cut a RB/FB, think 5 is about the right number to carry. I do think Brown should be cut, he looked so bad i wouldn't trust him as a 3rd down back. Is Hightower still a FA?

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Shane.C

Is there a website where i can watch the entire game?

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

Raiders fan here, and saw the game last on Monday night. First of all Congrats to the Chargers, I think that there's issues with your team, but they'll get better. I didnt think much of the Running Game and obviously there's work to be done finishing off drives but these things will improve. Best of luck for the rest of the season!

Shane.C wrote: »
    Is there a website where i can watch the entire game?

A free one you mean?, not that I'm aware of Shane but I've heard of games being available on torrent sites and the like.

Raiders fan here, and saw the game last on Monday night. First of all Congrats to the Chargers, I think that there's issues with your team, but they'll get better. I didnt think much of the Running Game and obviously there's work to be done finishing off drives but these things will improve. Best of luck for the rest of the season!

Welcome to our thread. Thanks for the good wishes, you too, beat Denver and KC for us will ya?

No doubt about it our running game stinks. That's a combination of poor run blocking (our guards were esp poor) and our LT is concentrating so hard on pass protection right now I'm giving him a mulligan ref run blocking up to say week 5. Also, Ronnie Brown looked dog slow mon nite. We were being led to believe he still had plenty of gas in the tank. He'd better show this week 2 or he will be gone. We should have Mathews back latest week 3, he is lightning (excuse the pun) quick over the first 5 yds and not too shabby after that, so he will make a difference.

I was most impressed by our D, looks like our new D coordinator has them playing faster and our new additions Ingram, Bigby and Reyes look like real players.

What's your opinion on Dennis Allen?... if I was a Raider fan the jury would be out for me right now.

Ryan Mathews is back in pads, great news.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

What's your opinion on Dennis Allen?... if I was a Raider fan the jury would be out for me right now.
    Well I think that this season is more about getting the organisation up to par with the rest of the NFL, Leslie. The Raiders organisation has been dysfunctional for years and its going to take a season or two to get the house in order. The results on the pitch, for me at least, are almost incidental. Because of Al Davis, We had a terrible squad with real salary cap issues and that will take 2 or 3 seasons to iron themselves out. All these panic buys and paying of ridiculous contracts to players that didnt deserve them, bringing in "Big" names to try and guarantee instant success, drafts that put speed over all else......... the list goes on. Sorry, you asked me, my opinion of Allen and I suppose I'm trying to give a bit of a background before I give you my answer. I'm indifferent to him at the moment. We dont look like a great team at the moment but there are reasons for that and he needs time to rebuild the team. To be honest, I'm not sure that if you got Bill Bellichick in there, that he'd do a better job. We are looking better on Defense and the long snapper issue could happen to any team. But the Offense is looking poorly and that needs to be addressed pronto. Allen came highly recommended and he certainly has been saying all the right things preseason, so I hope he can get us back to a strong, winning team. All I have anymore is hope.... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Shane.C

Well done Jackie Battle, Brinkley and McClain :D Was advantage to whoever got the running game going! Great win, 2-0 could not have asked for more! Let's go Bolts!

• Advertisement

Shane.C wrote: »
    Well done Jackie Battle, Brinkley and McClain :D Was advantage to whoever got the running game going! Great win, 2-0 could not have asked for more! Let's go Bolts!

I'm not getting too excited considering the teams we've beaten (Tenn are v poor) but having said that what's not to like about 2 and 0.

The O line is going to be the reason we don't succeed this yr. Our tackles are not quality NFL starters. I'm looking more at Clary as he has no excuse but were Gaither to ever return I'd put Harris at RT. The guards have not covered themselves in glory either. All in all we will pay again for not drafting O line where they should be drafted.

I'm liking the way our D is playing under Pagano. Donald Butler is becoming Patrick Willis and the depth means we are generating a good rush and are stopping the run. Cason is still a weak link, would love to see Wright come back and beat him out.

The running game may improve with the return of #24 and perhaps even the realisation by Norv that Ronnie Brown is done as a runner. Decent pass blocker and receiver but he's as slow as dial-up.

Love the passing game if only Philip could get the time he needs. We've so many weapons which is normally the case in Norv offenses.

Run game finally got going thanks to Battle who really stood out last night when given a chance, showed a much greater burst than Brown or Brinkley and he fought hard to break tackles.

I'd agree that out OL is by far the biggest worry, as much as Gaither is acting the bollix he is vital to us, he made a huge difference to the line last year and we need the same result from his presence now. If we could establish a half decent pocket for Rivers he'll do the rest. I think Matthews is going to be good enough to establish a running game for us even with this line in front of him.

Cason is currently looking like the weakest link on defence but they have been looking like a very good unit so far, next week against a top class offence will show how good they really are.

I really like our special teams play this year, they allowed one long return yesterday but every other time they stopped them inside the 20. Bisaccia has them well drilled and they really look aggressive in making the tackles.

So far this year we've beaten 2 poor teams but looked good doing it so plenty to be optimistic about but our next 4 games will be a step up and will tell us how good a team we actually are

Run game finally got going thanks to Battle who really stood out last night when given a chance, showed a much greater burst than Brown or Brinkley and he fought hard to break tackles.

I'd agree that out OL is by far the biggest worry, as much as Gaither is acting the bollix he is vital to us, he made a huge difference to the line last year and we need the same result from his presence now. If we could establish a half decent pocket for Rivers he'll do the rest. I think Matthews is going to be good enough to establish a running game for us even with this line in front of him.

Cason is currently looking like the weakest link on defence but they have been looking like a very good unit so far, next week against a top class offence will show how good they really are.

I really like our special teams play this year, they allowed one long return yesterday but every other time they stopped them inside the 20. Bisaccia has them well drilled and they really look aggressive in making the tackles.

So far this year we've beaten 2 poor teams but looked good doing it so plenty to be optimistic about but our next 4 games will be a step up and will tell us how good a team we actually are

Or bad!!.

I forgot to give the special teams a mention also. Apart from that one big return you are right they've been solid and seemingly getting much closer to blocking a punt (Ingram shoulda had one last nite). Goodman is gona break one too, love to see Spurlock leading him out and not Hester.

Speaking of Hester last nite perfectly illustrated why Battle was kept over him. No way Hester has the athletic ability to do what Battle did. Cutting Hester was the right call. Btw he is still without a team right?, no surprise there then. I heard Jacques was on NBC last nite and did v well in his first stint on TV.

My two cents worth.

Might aswell start with OLine, I thought the guards did a decent job especially Vaquez on run plays,
    Harris did better then I expected.
    Mathews will help slow down the pass rush with screen passes.

Meachem has had his knee drained now three times, has clearly got issues. I think we should be using him on slants and short routes instead of trying to get the hone run with him.

I know he only had one catch, but great run from Green, really hope he develops.
    Rosario did very well, shocked how well he done.

Im not convinced on Battle, have to consider yesterday there where record temperatures. He comes in on a tired Titans DLine, also he looked wrecked after his cameo. Not sure he can run that hard the majority of the game.

Defence is looking really good, we god a good pass rush.
    Ive been beating the drum of Butler since he was drafted. Just believed he was and is going to be a star.
    Going be a great test for him against Gonzalez.

Wouldnt worry too much about Cason, he is solid enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Have to say I am mad about the Chargers after week 2. Looking like one of the NFL's premier teams, making the AFC even more stacked. We know the Broncos, Texans, Ravens, Patriots (they'll get it together) and Steelers are top teams, and the Chargers look ready to join the party.

My two cents worth.

Might aswell start with OLine, I thought the guards did a decent job especially Vaquez on run plays,
    Harris did better then I expected.
    Mathews will help slow down the pass rush with screen passes.

Meachem has had his knee drained now three times, has clearly got issues. I think we should be using him on slants and short routes instead of trying to get the hone run with him.

I know he only had one catch, but great run from Green, really hope he develops.
    Rosario did very well, shocked how well he done.

Im not convinced on Battle, have to consider yesterday there where record temperatures. He comes in on a tired Titans DLine, also he looked wrecked after his cameo. Not sure he can run that hard the majority of the game.

Defence is looking really good, we god a good pass rush.
    Ive been beating the drum of Butler since he was drafted. Just believed he was and is going to be a star.
    Going be a great test for him against Gonzalez.

Wouldnt worry too much about Cason, he is solid enough.

The glass is always half full for you Rochey!.

Cason is an enigma, he seems to have all the tools but just plays stupid at times, and he is losing more than he wins. Put me down as a doubter. I think I've said it already but would have loved to see Wright get a shot at that position.

Until the 4th Q when the Titans D were out on their feet, our run blocking was poor. I remain unconvinced by Vasquez. Like Cason he is in a contract year. For such a big guy he doesn't dominate or maintain blocks long enough for me. I like Green and were he 2 inches taller I'd have him playing LT. Harris is doing fine considering where he has come from, pretty amazing really. If/when big lazy comes back I'd look at Harris replacing the dud that is Clary.

I must say I like Battle. It is not often you see a Chargers runner punishing would be tacklers. He won't have to play a whole game ever so he'll be fine coming in when the D are tired.

Meachem just needs to be given shorter routes, if he can his hands on a few balls, that will mean more confidence and thus more opportunities to go long.

We've a great set of TEs, in fact we may have the best stable in the NFL, now that Hernandez is down in NE.

I think the problem with Cason is that he plays 90% of snaps very well but on the other 10% that he messes up he becomes a huge liability and likely to give up a TD. At this stage of his career he shouldn't be making these stupid mental errors and especially not in a contract year.
    Not sure about swapping him out for Wright just yet, we were calling for Gilchrist half way through last year and that didn't work out too well

I think the problem with Cason is that he plays 90% of snaps very well but on the other 10% that he messes up he becomes a huge liability and likely to give up a TD. At this stage of his career he shouldn't be making these stupid mental errors and especially not in a contract year.
    Not sure about swapping him out for Wright just yet, we were calling for Gilchrist half way through last year and that didn't work out too well

By all accounts Wright had the best offseason of all the corners. Not saying he should be starting, just that it'd have been good to see him get a chance to compete for that spot. He is now out up to 6 weeks so that ain't gonna happen.

Wonder what the plan is now that Gatson is back to PS and Wells is back in?, I hear Chris Carr is getting worked out. He had a poor 2011 with the Ravens. He is not starting material no more but he might provide some depth at nickel/slot.

The question is who gets cut if we bring in another corner, will Ronnie be the one to go I wonder?

When I said the run blocking was good, I should have said was, it was no worse then it has been. I wonder would Vasquez improve with a better RT.

What a great result last night was for us. Win or lose against Atlanta, we should expect a win against the Chiefs even if it is in Arrowhead.
    Cant expect a win in the super dome. That would leave us with a huge game against the Broncos before the bye

We should have a 3-2 or 4-1 record before we meet Denver.
    They have a game against the Pats and Texans before we play them.
    They could end up at 2-3, fingers crossed.

• Advertisement

By all accounts Wright had the best offseason of all the corners. Not saying he should be starting, just that it'd have been good to see him get a chance to compete for that spot. He is now out up to 6 weeks so that ain't gonna happen.

Wonder what the plan is now that Gatson is back to PS and Wells is back in?, I hear Chris Carr is getting worked out. He had a poor 2011 with the Ravens. He is not starting material no more but he might provide some depth at nickel/slot.

The question is who gets cut if we bring in another corner, will Ronnie be the one to go I wonder?

We have to keep a 5th corner on the team so putting Gatson to the PS made little sense at the moment, someone has to be cut because we need Wells (or someone similar) on the roster too. In terms of cuts i'd say Ronnie is safe enough until Matthews proves his shoulder can take a solid hit.

Advertisement