Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chargers Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

Michael Gehlkin tweeted he hopes to play sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Malcolm Floyd signed for another 3 years, not sure of the details but no complaints from me about this, good man AJ

Gaither 3 days in a row. Listed as questionable for sunday. Here's hoping

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

Gaithar really improved the Oline, and like I thought the guards improved too.
    Loved seeing Clary curious to why he was taken out for a play :p

Ive been really impressed with Luigit since he came into the league. Lost a good bit of weight and now seems to be able stop the run and get in the back field.

Ingram and Butler love it.

Only real problem is the corners and Rivers cant find Meachem.

Rochey18 wrote: »

Ive been really impressed with Luigit since he came into the league. Lost a good bit of weight and now seems to be able stop the run and get in the back field.

Have to agree with most of that. Charles got a few big plays but its extremely hard to keep a player of that caliber contained for the whole game. Martin had a very good game today as did Liuget, its a real area of strength for us and we managed to knock down a number of passes at the line of scrimmage.

Corners were a weakness again and we had too many pass interference calls against us but 6 turnovers is a good day. I'm more impressed by Bigby every time i see him.

Gaither was a big improvement, his conditioning will improve and the more snaps they play the better unit they will become. Rivers and Meachem is not working well yet, getting VB back can't come soon enough. We had success early in the game going to Gates and Floyd, seemed to stop doing it while it was still being effective.

Brown had a good game, still looked slow but played smart and was used right today. Battle was good today but wasn't getting the yards later in the game when we needed someone to grind them out, a fresh Matthews was good for that but we need him as our workhorse. I like how Norv has handled it, cutting into his carries is a hardline attitude and sends out the right message, he's put it on Matthews to earn back his carries.

Novak looked good and was obviously staying very sharp, i wouldn't be surprised if he gets picked up by someone else soon after we cut him.

3-1 is a good start, still lots of improvement needed but it was a good response after last week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Well lads, we both buried the also rans in the division today so its between the two of us now....

See yee in the Q in 2 weeks! :D

Great game by the defense, hopefully Gaither can get back to his last season form, was a little rusty (as expected). Hopefully they take Mathews out of the bold corner as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

I watched the game until it was kinda decided then went over to the golf, F me what a finish.

Anyhows our Bolts.

What did you love about Clary? I missed that one.

No doubt a game fit Gaither is a huge difference on the O line, although Hali busted him on 1 play. He should improve with more gametime. I'm still not impressed with the effort Vasquez is putting in.

Loved how the D line came to play and the LBs. Butler is immense apart from 1 whiff on the RB, think it was Draughn. SP is cat quick round the edge.

Cason is a disaster waiting to happen, don't know what it is with him. He has all the tools but just ain't getting it done. He'll not be a Charger in 2013, he's the current DFlo, play their contract out and gone. Another busted 1st round pick at corner (that makes 3 AJ). We so need Wright to be that guy who can come in and beat him out.

I'll watch the rest of the game tonite but reading some stuff this morn has me hearing Mathews was great once he got his chance.

Game on the laptop and the golf on the tv, great evening for sport.

If you haven't watched the end of the game your opinions on Cason might get a little bit worse.;)

Matthews looked great but it was a fresh back against a tired defence, i'd have been worried if he didn't gain big yards.

OAOB wrote: »
    Game on the laptop and the golf on the tv, great evening for sport.

If you haven't watched the end of the game your opinions on Cason might get a little bit worse.;)

Matthews looked great but it was a fresh back against a tired defence, i'd have been worried if he didn't gain big yards.

Seriously?....... jeez.

I'll watch the condensed version of the game tonite. Cannot believe how bad he is, really disappointed in him to be honest. We've never had a great corner. Gill Byrd was probably our best ever but he could never have been called a shut down corner. Oh to have a Darrelle Revis type.

• Advertisement

I meant to say in my match comments that i've been completely underwhelmed by McClain, when he's asked to play full back he does not seem to be opening up any holes like we expected him to. As a short yardage back he was called upon twice on Sunday and neither time did he pick up a 1st down, onw was rushing and one was receiving. If nothing else it was something Hester was good at was picking up 3rd & 1s.
    After seeing Bown being utilised properly last week i think i'd keep him over McClain at this point.
    Maybe its about getting on the same page as the RBs and having them all read the field the same but as it stands i don't think he's contributing much

I meant to say in my match comments that i've been completely underwhelmed by McClain, when he's asked to play full back he does not seem to be opening up any holes like we expected him to. As a short yardage back he was called upon twice on Sunday and neither time did he pick up a 1st down, onw was rushing and one was receiving. If nothing else it was something Hester was good at was picking up 3rd & 1s.
    After seeing Bown being utilised properly last week i think i'd keep him over McClain at this point.
    Maybe its about getting on the same page as the RBs and having them all read the field the same but as it stands i don't think he's contributing much

I agree... he has had no impact at all blocking as a FB. On the few occasions I've watched him as the blocking back he's done SFA. He'll probably be kept on over Brinkley though. Brown has a bit more value as a 3rd down back over Brinkley and for that reason might stick. Mathews and Battle are the 1-2 punch at RB now.

Chris Carr is being signed, hopefully he ends up being another good find in free agency.

I think this coming week we really need to have a good run game to keep Brees off the field.

Carr is an important signing for this week, saints like to spread the ball around so CBs will be tested. We definitely need a good pass rush this week, if Brees has a good pocket to throw from he will pick our CBs apart.

Leslie91 wrote: »
    I agree... he has had no impact at all blocking as a FB. On the few occasions I've watched him as the blocking back he's done SFA. He'll probably be kept on over Brinkley though. Brown has a bit more value as a 3rd down back over Brinkley and for that reason might stick. Mathews and Battle are the 1-2 punch at RB now.

He probably will be kept on over Binkley, not happy about it yet as Brinkley has shown a bit more so far and if Matthews or Battle get injured i'd rather have Brinkley step in than Brown as 1st and 2nd down back. To me if his run blocking doesn't improve McClain should be cut.

Now that Carr is signed who will be cut or is Kaeding going to end up on IR?

McClain has been very poor, at this rate would of been better off keeping Hester.

Wonder could this be a big game for Mathews, run games is a must to keep Brees and them Wide outs off the field.

Congrats to Butler getting AFC defensive player of the week.

Really looking forward to this game. Will have to watch it on the Monday :mad:

McClain has been very poor, at this rate would of been better off keeping Hester.

Wonder could this be a big game for Mathews, run games is a must to keep Brees and them Wide outs off the field.

Congrats to Butler getting AFC defensive player of the week.

Really looking forward to this game. Will have to watch it on the Monday :mad:

Can't say keeping Hester would be better but defo McClain has been a disappointment. He brings what he brings as a runner but that is not needed now that we have potentially 3 backs who can carry the ball. We need him to be a true FB and it looks like he is not that. If he doesn't get his act together he'll be gone.

I'm hoping cutting Spurlock is a temp measure because he's a good player. I'd have cut a no. of guys before him, McClain or Brown or Brinkley for example. This waiting for Nate should only be 1 more week ie. he comes back in or goes to IR. Either way we free up a spot for Spurlock to take (or Wells). I'd still like to see us cut one of the backs and take both these guys.

Vincent Brown will be back before long hopefully a RB is let go when he comes back but I fear it could be Spurlock again.

I'll be watching monday too without knowing the score!!.

Butler is a stud, long may his development continue.

Can't say keeping Hester would be better but defo McClain has been a disappointment. He brings what he brings as a runner but that is not needed now that we have potentially 3 backs who can carry the ball. We need him to be a true FB and it looks like he is not that. If he doesn't get his act together he'll be gone.

I'm hoping cutting Spurlock is a temp measure because he's a good player. I'd have cut a no. of guys before him, McClain or Brown or Brinkley for example. This waiting for Nate should only be 1 more week ie. he comes back in or goes to IR. Either way we free up a spot for Spurlock to take (or Wells). I'd still like to see us cut one of the backs and take both these guys.

Vincent Brown will be back before long hopefully a RB is let go when he comes back but I fear it could be Spurlock again.

I'll be watching monday too without knowing the score!!.

Butler is a stud, long may his development continue.

I think bringing Hester back instead of McClain is a real option unless he shows us something very soon. Hester might not be the best run blocker but he knows Matthews better and can play with him. I'd also see him as an option on 3rd downs.

Spurlock has shown nothing in the first 4games, might be a good player but if we have no plans for him there is no point keeping him around. Carr will replace him as a returner and i'd rather have 5CBs than 5WRs on the roster when facing Brees and Manning. Bye-week then and if Brown isn't looking likely to be back then maybe check on Spurlocks availability.

I like Nate but we can't keep a spot ont the roster for him if Novak plays well. Don't know the extent of the injury but groin injuries can be a tricky thing to heal.

Plan to stay up and watch it on sun, be a long day in work monday

I think bringing Hester back instead of McClain is a real option unless he shows us something very soon. Hester might not be the best run blocker but he knows Matthews better and can play with him. I'd also see him as an option on 3rd downs.

Spurlock has shown nothing in the first 4games, might be a good player but if we have no plans for him there is no point keeping him around. Carr will replace him as a returner and i'd rather have 5CBs than 5WRs on the roster when facing Brees and Manning. Bye-week then and if Brown isn't looking likely to be back then maybe check on Spurlocks availability.

I like Nate but we can't keep a spot ont the roster for him if Novak plays well. Don't know the extent of the injury but groin injuries can be a tricky thing to heal.

Plan to stay up and watch it on sun, be a long day in work monday

Funny, I reckon Hester is a better run blocker than McClain but an inferior runner. I'd rate them about even as regards 3rd down options ie. passing game. If we need a run blocker I say dump McClain and bring back Hester but keep him away from STs, he is far too slow.

We do need corners. I've read today that they've asked Spurlock to stay in SD ie. they will make a decision on kicker asap, cannot see us carrying 2 kickers come next tuesday. Nate will be done in SD if we IR him.

When Vincent Brown comes back hopefully Spurlock sticks (I really like the guy as the slot if anything happens to Royal) and we see a RB go.

Good luck in work monday. I cannot function at all without sleep.

I watched the game live lads... long story but was not going to get to watch it mon evening and I could not have waited until tue so bit the bullet.

In my opinion this was a game we gave away. We should have buried them in the 3rd quarter. While I am not blaming Ingram, that was a 14 point swing right there on that play. He has to learn to not do that. There's no doubt the officials were seeing plenty of issues with the Chargers in terms of playing by the rules, pity it was not as balanced as it could be. Having said that once again we are our own worst enemy. When we were 1st and goal and Norv called 2 pass plays on 2nd and 3rd down I was ready to throw the tablet against the wall. I've read this morning that he apparently called a run play on 2nd down but Philip checked out to a pass play.

Mathews was a v bright spark on a disappointing night. He gashed the Saints every time he touched the ball. We need to go back to him being the feature back getting spelled by Battle and Brown. Liked what I saw from Meachem too esp that first TD, really looked like he wanted it this week. Malcom was great too.

Our corners are a joke. I have to seriously start questioning the coaching back there. Seems like they can't cover anything. Gilchrist was unlucky to be beat by Colston on that play where he was in perfect coverage, just a perfect pass beat him.

Onto the matchup V Denver, a must win now if we are to harbour winning the division.

• Advertisement

Really should have won this game.
    Gilchrist I thought did a really good job not letting Colston get away from him but he was just too big and caught everything.

Crazy stat, I couldn't believe. Cason was in the top 5 corners for pass deflected.

Pass rush again was really good. Not taking Gaithar our of the game was a huge mistake. He was on one leg. Harris had to come into the game for the final drive.
    On to Denver, I'm quietly confident. If they don't sort out their run D and we actually give Mathews the ball I think we will be fine.

The 3 games after that are huge imo. I would expect Denver to win all 3. While we play the Browns, Chiefs and Tampa. 3 game we really should be winning.
    Then its back to Denver at mile high.

I watched the game live lads... long story but was not going to get to watch it mon evening and I could not have waited until tue so bit the bullet.

In my opinion this was a game we gave away. We should have buried them in the 3rd quarter. While I am not blaming Ingram, that was a 14 point swing right there on that play. He has to learn to not do that. There's no doubt the officials were seeing plenty of issues with the Chargers in terms of playing by the rules, pity it was not as balanced as it could be. Having said that once again we are our own worst enemy. When we were 1st and goal and Norv called 2 pass plays on 2nd and 3rd down I was ready to throw the tablet against the wall. I've read this morning that he apparently called a run play on 2nd down but Philip checked out to a pass play.

Mathews was a v bright spark on a disappointing night. He gashed the Saints every time he touched the ball. We need to go back to him being the feature back getting spelled by Battle and Brown. Liked what I saw from Meachem too esp that first TD, really looked like he wanted it this week. Malcom was great too.

Our corners are a joke. I have to seriously start questioning the coaching back there. Seems like they can't cover anything. Gilchrist was unlucky to be beat by Colston on that play where he was in perfect coverage, just a perfect pass beat him.

Onto the matchup V Denver, a must win now if we are to harbour winning the division.

Have to agree with this. Ingram gave away a really stupid penalty but the whole defence just stopped performing after that. Ingram is doing really well in general and looks like a play maker, i think he might be too fired up at times and too eager to make an impression, i'm confident he'll learn. Thought Liuget had another really good game, really showing why he was drafted so high.
    We have faced 2 of the best passing teams in the league and lost both and its mainly due to our corners not being able to stick with elite receivers. Its a good thing Lance Moore wasn't fit to play. I hope Wright is as good as we're all hoping.
    Offence started great but didn't show up properly in the 2nd half. Not running either time from the 2yard line was ridiculous.
    Matthews was a complete beast last night, i'd say we could have given him the ball on every down and he would have made yards. Saints have the worst run defence in the league but Matthews is good enough to destroy any defence. Delighted that he got his first TD of the season. I have to say his attitude is fantastic and i'm sure he has earned his red zone carries back.
    The OL looked ok last night for the most part. They're not world beaters but they're good enough. I hope it was only cramp that Gaither was struggling with and not back problems again.
    Its not a terrible loss to take as the Superdome is one of the hardest stadiums to play in and when we looked at the schedule at the start of the season i would have put it down as a loss. I think the worrying thing is this team appears to have the talent but aren't playing a full 60min game and aren't grinding out the tough wins that real contenders do.

Not sure about the rest of you but i am wrecked today, early night tonight

Gilchrist I thought did a really good job not letting Colston get away from him but he was just too big and caught everything.

Crazy stat, I couldn't believe. Cason was in the top 5 corners for pass deflected.

Pass rush again was really good. Not taking Gaithar our of the game was a huge mistake. He was on one leg. Harris had to come into the game for the final drive.
    On to Denver, I'm quietly confident. If they don't sort out their run D and we actually give Mathews the ball I think we will be fine.

The 3 games after that are huge imo. I would expect Denver to win all 3. While we play the Browns, Chiefs and Tampa. 3 game we really should be winning.

Huge game against Denver next week. I'd be the same as yourself and quietly confident about winning. If we can win this i think it puts us odds on for the play-offs, a bit early to predict that i know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Only times the run D has been lit up was by Arian Foster and Stevan Ridley/Brandon Bolden/Danny Woodhead. One is the league's premier run game the last few years, the other is incredibly hard to shut down because you have to watch out for Brady, Lloyd, Welker and Gronk as well. Not only that but they ran the no huddle with such speed and precision that they literally could do what they wanted. Wouldn't read too much into our struggles against the run, the flipside is that we kept Turner and Mcfadden very quiet when we played them. Could go either way

spiralism wrote: »
    Only times the run D has been lit up was by Arian Foster and Stevan Ridley/Brandon Bolden/Danny Woodhead. One is the league's premier run game the last few years, the other is incredibly hard to shut down because you have to watch out for Brady, Lloyd, Welker and Gronk as well. Not only that but they ran the no huddle with such speed and precision that they literally could do what they wanted. Wouldn't read too much into our struggles against the run, the flipside is that we kept Turner and Mcfadden very quiet when we played them. Could go either way

Thats how I feel about it too, I probably wouldn't be as confident as the lads above. No doubt about it though, the winner is in the driving seat when it comes to where the division is going.

Have I shared this group with you lads?

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!forum/alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers

U can read all the UT articles via this link, unless you subscribe to the UT you can only read a few a mth now.

I see they expect Gaither to play against the Donks. And Vincent Brown and Shareece Wright coming back, happy days!.

So the stadium in LA got approved.

Would you still support the Chargers if they went to LA?
    Wouldn't make a difference to me.

I would be very surprised if they did move with such a huge following in that city for the Raiders.

Hard to know what to say after that, watched a game when we’re up 24-14 in a game and its already obvious we’re going to lose. A defeat within the division sucks but I think that’s the least of our worries after that game.
    We’ve our bye week now and to be honest I’d just fire Norv right now. This team will win the easy games but they’ve no fight in them when the game gets tight. I don’t know if Norv is the real problem but he’s definitely one of them, we should just fire him now and see how the players react, who steps up and who doesn’t. There’s talent on this team but no hunger. Next games are @ Cleveland, KC, @TB & then Denver again. Fire Norv now and give a new guy 4 weeks to get this team ready to go for the rematch and hopefully just freshen the whole team up, bring something new in.
    Rivers is in a make or break position now. Love the guy, his passion and leadership but he’s just not playing at any sort of acceptable level. Matthews was crucified for turning the ball over this season but Rivers is killing us in nearly every game doing it. I know the OL don’t help him out much at times but he has to be better than this.
    I could go on and criticise nearly every member of the team but what’s the point, just FIRE NORV.

No point going on about how bad that was but Rivers was so poor. He was been playing below par for too long now.

I thought was quite funny how people making out if the Broncos won the Division. Both teams I think will be level or one game between them when they meet again. The game at Denver is huge, playoffs are still very possible.
    Norv needs to go if we dont reach the AFC championship game.

Also dont see how Denver have a easier Schedule from now on, they have nearly exact same as we do.
    Only difference is we play the Steelers and Jets while they have to play the Saints and Chiefs twice.

• Advertisement

No point going on about how bad that was but Rivers was so poor. He was been playing below par for too long now.

I thought was quite funny how people making out if the Broncos won the Division. Both teams I think will be level or one game between them when they meet again. The game at Denver is huge, playoffs are still very possible.
    Norv needs to go if we dont reach the AFC championship game.

Also dont see how Denver have a easier Schedule from now on, they have nearly exact same as we do.
    Only difference is we play the Steelers and Jets while they have to play the Saints and Chiefs twice.

At this point i think even thinking about playoffs is ridiculous. Team haven't had a come from behind scoring drive since 2009. We've beat 3 poor team and lost to 2 average teams and 1 good one. Its the manner of the defeats which is the problem, we buckle in the face of adversity.

Advertisement