Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chargers Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Well great news to wake up to, Rivers signed up for four more years. Most guaranteed money in the history of the nfl.

$65m

Not bad for a 4 year deal I suppose. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭tripperman

Well great news to wake up to, Rivers signed up for four more years. Most guaranteed money in the history of the nfl.

I'm delighted be mad to risk him hitting free agency, and his play the last two years are worthy of it, now for weddle

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

Weddle is a strange one, seems like we just don't want him.

Now Rivers is signed up we can use the franchise tag on Weddle if we wish

Weddle is a strange one, seems like we just don't want him.

Now Rivers is signed up we can use the franchise tag on Weddle if we wish

How much cap do we have left after rivers deal, we have LG in contract year aswell to think about, seems weddle is going unless this deal and a real sweet deal for him can change his mind

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Yes totally agree, it will be amazing to see Rivers play out his full career as a Charger. It always got me that Junior and LT did not do the same.

I reckon the Weddle thing will be sorted too. I know he said he'd never talk to them again if there was no deal done before camp, but rumour has it both McCoy and TT have spoken to Weddle since and there was even talk of an apology. And what with Philip committed now and he and Eric best buddys I see no reason why Weddle would not come back in 2016 provided he is as good as ever.

Only watched the 1st half so far of Cowboys game. 2 things should out for me. BO and Kyle Emanuel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭setanta74

Delighted. My Rivers #17 jersey is now something I can wear forever. I love the guy. Hope like Leslie says that he will end his playing days with the bolts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

Also Corey Luiget is already signed up so it's only Weddle left and I'd guess we still have plenty of money left... Our cap space in the coming years is very good.

setanta74 wrote: »
    Delighted. My Rivers #17 jersey is now something I can wear forever. I love the guy. Hope like Leslie says that he will end his playing days with the bolts.

Im looking get a new one think the powder blue not sure on tho, rivers, weddle, stuckey, bo, or gates, my current one is just the white no name a present from someone,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Not a Troutman fan but apparently he played 3snaps with a broken arm, the dude is tough.
    Be interesting to see what happens with the back up G position between him Sirles Huey and possibly Watts

OAOB wrote: »
    Not a Troutman fan but apparently he played 3snaps with a broken arm, the dude is tough.
    Be interesting to see what happens with the back up G position between him Sirles Huey and possibly Watts

I must look back at it and see which play the arm break might have happened on cos the play before he came off nothing much happened. I reckon he won't be back as a Charger after this. Fluker will stick at RG and Troutman at best will be a backup. Might have played his last game in blue n gold.

• Advertisement

What do we think of this then?...Amazing stadium and set but come on.....its LA and its with the Raiders. If it happens think I'd struggle staying a Bolt. San Diego was the main reason I started following the Chargers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

San Diego was the main reason I started following the Chargers.
    I don't blame you. It's possibly the best place I've visited. If I could choose a place to relocate, it would be there.

What do we think of this then?...Amazing stadium and set but come on.....its LA and its with the Raiders. If it happens think I'd struggle staying a Bolt. San Diego was the main reason I started following the Chargers.]

I hope they stay in san Diego, I think that video reckes off desperation for a L.A. move, I prefer the look of the new sd stadium design, I was never in san Diego but hope to travel there sometime and take in a game,

I think the best argument for the Chargers staying in SD is the rams. The NFL don't really care what team they get in LA so long as they get one and the rams have a fan base and very deep pockets.

If they do leave SD I don't know whether I'll keep following them. I started supporting them because of SD but now I'm invested in the team. Not a Spanos fan anyway

What do we think of this then?...Amazing stadium and set but come on.....its LA and its with the Raiders. If it happens think I'd struggle staying a Bolt. San Diego was the main reason I started following the Chargers.

cool vid... but that stadium should be in Mission Valley ;-)

how cool would that be to go to a stadium as sexy as that in SD.

I'm mixed on what will happen if they move. I probably can't begin supporting another team so I might just have to accept it.

Do you think the stadium issue will affect the performances on the field this year? I know the players are pros but will their minds wander with all the constant media focus and various agendas. The biggest culprits are probably the owners themselves..surely that vibe will filter down throughout the organisation????

Do you think the stadium issue will affect the performances on the field this year? I know the players are pros but will their minds wander with all the constant media focus and various agendas. The biggest culprits are probably the owners themselves..surely that vibe will filter down throughout the organisation????

I don't think it will affect the likes of rivers, woodhead, weddle and flowers that are very experienced and can ignore this, but the younger guys like Gordon, BO, allen etc they might get caught up in the hype/ media bulls###t of it, all they can control is how they play on the pitch so that should be there focus, I want them to stay in San Diego but if they move I'll not change team as its LT and rivers them kind of guys that brought me to following the chargers in the first place, so I'd feel like I'd be letting them down by supporting someone else

Maybe we should ask the browns fans how they handled their move ... don't think that went too well back in the day :P

Maybe we should ask the browns fans how they handled their move ... don't think that went too well back in the day :P

Yeah it's kinda mad how that went down... today's Browns per se are not the original Browns but I guess Browns fans from say 30 yrs ago are supporting the new Browns and never moved with the Ravens?

Having said that just read this..

The relocated franchise's original heritage would stay in its original city, with new personnel eventually reactivating the officially suspended franchise, thus becoming the new personnel of, and officially continuing the supposedly relocated franchise.

So the essence of the Browns in terms of heritage never left. I guess this means no Browns fans became Ravens fans which is kinda mad. 20 yrs ago next year is when they moved.

That is interesting and that is how I would feel about the chargers moving although as an Irish person watching on TV living 3000 miles away its a bit stupid for me to really worry about it isn't it ;-)

I like the way the browns came back around again.

• Advertisement

I watched the first preseason game and so far half of the second one...

I'm starting to think Pettis might beat out Inman if we only go with 5 WRs. I'd like to see us go with 6 because those 2 and Tyrell Williams all look like good wideouts to me and not just an Ajirotutu type i.e. a special teams player only.

I also really like the look of Emanuel, hope he can stay fit because no doubt one if not both of Ingram (who looks like a beast) and Attaochu will go down sooner rather than later.

I'm still not convinced Fluker will be ready at RG for game 1. He prob offers more than Trout right now but I still think we can prob do better in that spot until Fluke knows what he is at. Sirles for me is the best backup G we have.

And what about this kicker competition.... I can't see it happening i.e. us going with a rookie over Novak esp with as conservative a coach as McCoy.

Only seen highlights so far since dont have gamepass not sure if ill get it or just get sky multi room instead, phiilion looks good from what iv seen and gates is hyping up the uda dunzabar, Emanuel looks good put its only pre season wonder if he can cope when regular season kicks off as its a few steps quicker again same for the other two, Ingram looks massively improved so far hopeing he can stay injury free, was it said Novak injured himself missing the pat? I think lambo could be kept, they could be afraid to cut him as he would be picked up fairly quickly as he seems a promising kicker

tripperman wrote: »
    Only seen highlights so far since dont have gamepass not sure if ill get it or just get sky multi room instead, phiilion looks good from what iv seen and gates is hyping up the uda dunzabar, Emanuel looks good put its only pre season wonder if he can cope when regular season kicks off as its a few steps quicker again same for the other two, Ingram looks massively improved so far hopeing he can stay injury free, was it said Novak injured himself missing the pat? I think lambo could be kept, they could be afraid to cut him as he would be picked up fairly quickly as he seems a promising kicker

Forgot to mention Philon. Yes for where he was picked I like the look of him too, so so young as well. Has a bright future ahead of him. Will get lots of opps on this D line too. The ILB Nzubnar is a bit small for me and not that great an athlete. A trier yes, gets as much as he can from himself but at best is PS material. I can't see him making it in the NFL.

First round of cuts on going,as Leslie said Titus Davis failed to make it, all really were expected to fall short its next Saturday the shock cut will come, Donald Brown is my guess, near had a heart attack yesterday morning reading the report from chargers v Seahawks to read rivers got injured, thankfully seemed just a precaution to take him for an xray, 1st team defence looked very good against 1st team offence of Seahawks, don't think our new oline is settling in yet, Gordon is struggling still think he needs time, I'm not saying to drop him down the depth chart totally, but they should consider giving BO more reps on first team against 49ers and lions to help Gordon out, let him come in slowly like BO last year, I know the situation is very different haveing been our first round pick, but results should come first while they wait on him to get up to speed

tripperman wrote: »
    First round of cuts on going,as Leslie said Titus Davis failed to make it, all really were expected to fall short its next Saturday the shock cut will come, Donald Brown is my guess, near had a heart attack yesterday morning reading the report from chargers v Seahawks to read rivers got injured, thankfully seemed just a precaution to take him for an xray, 1st team defence looked very good against 1st team offence of Seahawks, don't think our new oline is settling in yet, Gordon is struggling still think he needs time, I'm not saying to drop him down the depth chart totally, but they should consider giving BO more reps on first team against 49ers and lions to help Gordon out, let him come in slowly like BO last year, I know the situation is very different haveing been our first round pick, but results should come first while they wait on him to get up to speed

Surprised to see them talk about IRing Hekking. Seemed to me all he was was a Boz haircut lookalike and nothing else.

I've the fingers crossed for the Donald Brown cut too Tripperman, he simply cannot stick. We've 3 more than capable guys ahead of him now and Smith will make it to PS so there is the injury call up sorted. Adios Donald.

Agree on Gordon though. He has disappointed me. He was resp for a missed block on pass pro that nearly got Philip killed. If he can't pass block yet he better be able to run the ball and so far BO has completely outplayed him. I'm not happy thus far.

No surprise cuts in this round, the interesting ones are still to come

My expectations of Gordon were really low, thought he was an average back with above average physical attributes. He will be a good player in the league but he has a lot of work to do. I don't think he'll be effective this year

I hope i'm forced to eat these words in around 2months but that's how i feel

No surprise cuts in this round, the interesting ones are still to come

My expectations of Gordon were really low, thought he was an average back with above average physical attributes. He will be a good player in the league but he has a lot of work to do. I don't think he'll be effective this year

I hope i'm forced to eat these words in around 2months but that's how i feel

Really?, average back?... who would u have compared him too in the NFL when u he was entering the draft?, by all accounts he and Gurley were the best 2 to come out in ages. I don't watch college ball so I can't comment but I sure expected better than what I've seen from him. Like u said hope we are all eating heaps of humble pie in a couple of mths.

He looked great in college but he had a huge dominant line in front of him and he was faster than most defenders so was able to get the edge most times. Also he often broke off huge runs which made his yards per carry look a lot more impressive.
    I only saw a few of his games but just didn't seem to be a player that made stuff happen by himself

He looked great in college but he had a huge dominant line in front of him and he was faster than most defenders so was able to get the edge most times. Also he often broke off huge runs which made his yards per carry look a lot more impressive.
    I only saw a few of his games but just didn't seem to be a player that made stuff happen by himself

Wow very informative take thanks OAOB so even more reason to cry at the fact that we picked him in the 1st round. When lads like Cam Erving, Malcom Brown (would have traded down to get him), the corners, Collins the S (again a trade down) etc.

I did not like the pick at the time and am disliking it more and more each day.

He better prove us all wrong. If we cut Donald Brown I'll be more likely to get over the Gordon pick mind you.

• Advertisement

Leslie91 wrote: »
    Wow very informative take thanks OAOB so even more reason to cry at the fact that we picked him in the 1st round. When lads like Cam Erving, Malcom Brown (would have traded down to get him), the corners, Collins the S (again a trade down) etc.

I did not like the pick at the time and am disliking it more and more each day.

He better prove us all wrong. If we cut Donald Brown I'll be more likely to get over the Gordon pick mind you.

I'm going say give him time,by week 11 we should have a true idea of how he will turn out, hopefully he comes good be a waste to see him tank, but BO can carry the run game I think he could have a break out year if he gets enough of a chance, look at his td against Seahawks,
    did i read that Gordon bo and woodhead combined are the same against the cap as brown in the last two years of his contract, that's the 11th best paid rb,

Advertisement