Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chargers Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

I don't think there's any cap saving in cutting him but i'm open to correction on that. I'd be likely to keep him around for the pre-season in case of injuries but i don't think he should be on the roster come week 1. His versatility is his best asset, average runner, blocker and pass catcher.

Actually i wonder how Gordon is at pass blocking? It was always a big knock on Matthews that he never developed the skills or vision for it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

OAOB wrote: »
    I don't think there's any cap saving in cutting him but i'm open to correction on that. I'd be likely to keep him around for the pre-season in case of injuries but i don't think he should be on the roster come week 1. His versatility is his best asset, average runner, blocker and pass catcher.

Actually i wonder how Gordon is at pass blocking? It was always a big knock on Matthews that he never developed the skills or vision for it

I've heard conflicting stories on his pass blocking. For example TT said he was a good pass pro.. others say he never really had to do it but when he did he was keen and had no problem sticking his head in but technique-wise had no clue.

Sounds like something that will need to be coached up. Hopefully he won't be called on too much to pass pro. But we all know how that worked out with Ryan i.e. when he was in the game then it is defo a run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

It was Brown's blocking that got Scrifes injured. La'el Collins would be a sweet addition. Unlikely though given the competition.

Edit: Providing he is cleared.

Blocking on special teams is a lot different to offense, he picks up blitzes and stunts pretty well as a blocker.

Don't think we've a shot at Collins, restricted budget for UDFA so you'd have to put the whole budget towards him. The Californian tax rates work against us too. Only chance would be to sign him and immediately do a new deal at low first round high second money but can't see it happening.

Blocking on special teams is a lot different to offense, he picks up blitzes and stunts pretty well as a blocker.

Don't think we've a shot at Collins, restricted budget for UDFA so you'd have to put the whole budget towards him. The Californian tax rates work against us too. Only chance would be to sign him and immediately do a new deal at low first round high second money but can't see it happening.

I'd still be shocked if he is on the 53. He's a goner unless BO or God forbid Gordon get injured early.

• Advertisement

I just hope if injuries happen we don't pick up Ronnie Brown again

Now that would be funny!...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭tripperman

Rather see one of the two underrated f a rbs get on instead of ronnie

tripperman wrote: »
    Rather see one of the two underrated f a rbs get on instead of ronnie

Or maybe even Marion Grice is he doesn't make it to the 53 in Az.

Leslie91 wrote: »
    Or maybe even Marion Grice is he doesn't make it to the 53 in Az.

Yeah forgot about him, i still think he was worth keeping around last season

• Advertisement

Yeah forgot about him, i still think he was worth keeping around last season

It was close between he and BO I reckon. At the time I was pulling my hair out and Grice has looked ok since but I'm v happy with BO and what he brings.

It was close between he and BO I reckon. At the time I was pulling my hair out and Grice has looked ok since but I'm v happy with BO and what he brings.

i liked grice when he was drafted, I hadn't seen anything about Brandon till he got on the pitch last season and he's now a firm favourite of mine,

I can't get over the stalemate on the Weddle situation. I see Acee saying in his Q&A yesterday that there is pretty much zero chance of Weddle getting an extension. It all sounds v odd to me, yes he is not getting any younger but his presence alone not to mention what he can still bring on the field has to be worth a conversation at least. I'm not sure what the front office are playing at here.

On an another note, great to see all bar Gordon signed. How great is it to have this rookie wage scale. Pity football this side of the pond/around the world can't figure out a way to do something similar in terms of wages, which is pricing the regular fan out of the game.

I wouldn't pay any notion to Acee to be honest, he's a reporter who lost all his sources when TT arrived so now he just tries to create stories.

Disappointed in Weddle, he's a captain so should be leading. He's got another year to play so no need to go crying to the media just yet, lots of time to negotiate

So the vets are arriving to meet the rookies today. The only things I heard out of minicamp (apart from hearing all the draft picks are now signed) that were interesting were that Huey was playing center and Gordon ran away from Perryman on a pass out of the backfield. Anyone see any other interesting tidbits?

Oh and I hear we have another basketball player Richard Ross trying out at TE. We all know how that once turned into Gold for our Bolts.

So the vets are arriving to meet the rookies today. The only things I heard out of minicamp (apart from hearing all the draft picks are now signed) that were interesting were that Huey was playing center and Gordon ran away from Perryman on a pass out of the backfield. Anyone see any other interesting tidbits?

Oh and I hear we have another basketball player Richard Ross trying out at TE. We all know how that once turned into Gold for our Bolts.

San diego state fb making good impression his blocking is supposed to be exceptional

San diego state fb making good impression his blocking is supposed to be exceptional

Who do u mean Tripperman? what's his name?

Chad Young is it? I see he is one of the 15 who were tryouts i.e. not even getting a mention on the roster on chargers.com.

Who do u mean Tripperman? what's his name?

Chad Young is it? I see he is one of the 15 who were tryouts i.e. not even getting a mention on the roster on chargers.com.

Yeah young he's great at opening running lanes for rbs that's where trying him with Gordon, he's only a try out but might get a practice spot, I didn't see him on chargers. Com but read about him on nbc

We didn't carry a FB last year but used Johnson as a hybrid FB/TE, guy will have his work cut out for him to make it with us

We didn't carry a FB last year but used Johnson as a hybrid FB/TE, guy will have his work cut out for him to make it with us

I can't remember was it two seasons ago or three that we had a fb on the roster, if he makes practice squad he be doing well, a lot of Gordon's big runs came from behind a fb blocking last year, so they prob just looking at options there for red zone

• Advertisement

Le'ron mcclain I think it was. Think he was signed by AJ.
    Wouldn't mind having a FB on the roster to help out Gordon instead of one of the 4 TEs we carried last year. Would have to be a good special teamer to make the 53 I reckon

Le'ron mcclain I think it was. Think he was signed by AJ.
    Wouldn't mind having a FB on the roster to help out Gordon instead of one of the 4 TEs we carried last year. Would have to be a good special teamer to make the 53 I reckon

For the amount of/quality of blocking David Johnson did I am all for finding a proper FB. Johnson was a big disappointment as has been Phillips since he arrived. I'd be fine with both of em being gone come September.

To be honest i barely remember seeing Johnson in as FB. I like the idea of having versatile players but if they're playing two positions and ineffective at both then get rid of them.
    Philips has been a disaster, i saw a stat a while ago that showed his blocking as below average. He's not a passing threat so might as well play an extra O-line than him

Joe barksdale rt from the rams signed on a one year deal, wonder is dj going guard

Joe barksdale rt from the rams signed on a one year deal, wonder is dj going guard

Gonna b v interesting to see how this pans out. 1 thing is for sure tk God we won't be going forward with Troutman on right side of O line. This is a good signing.

Gonna b v interesting to see how this pans out. 1 thing is for sure tk God we won't be going forward with Troutman on right side of O line. This is a good signing.

I think its great improvement on oline since last season, can't see troutman starting now, rivers must be happy now with this line

Not sure how big an improvement this is. The knock on Fluker is his pass protection but apparently Barksdale is no better. He's a very good run blocker and him and Fluker will move people but in my opinion whoever is the better pass blocker is the starting RT.
    Wonder could Barksdale play RG?

I know we didn't see too much last year but i think if I was to list what i think the top 5 players we have on the O-line I'd have to include Robinson at C. Watt is pencilled in there but if Robinson could earn that and move to RG I'd be happy with that

Not sure how big an improvement this is. The knock on Fluker is his pass protection but apparently Barksdale is no better. He's a very good run blocker and him and Fluker will move people but in my opinion whoever is the better pass blocker is the starting RT.
    Wonder could Barksdale play RG?

I know we didn't see too much last year but i think if I was to list what i think the top 5 players we have on the O-line I'd have to include Robinson at C. Watt is pencilled in there but if Robinson could earn that and move to RG I'd be happy with that

For me Watt is far superior to Robinson, at center & guard. I still think Fluker will get his shot to stay at RT but I won't be shocked if Barksdale ends up at RT and Fluke at guard.

For me Watt is far superior to Robinson, at center & guard. I still think Fluker will get his shot to stay at RT but I won't be shocked if Barksdale ends up at RT and Fluke at guard.

Watt is far better than Robinson but my point is that Robinson is better than Barksdale and Troutman so start him and get the best 5 players on the line.

Barksdale is a cheap signing and risk free so definitely worth trying. I think Fluker will be an excellent G but no point moving him if we're not getting better at RT. Barksdale gives us a competition at RT but we've a lot of prospects at RG that i'm interested in. I'd love to see Sirles or Watts earn the RG and Fluker stay at RT

• Advertisement

Watt is far better than Robinson but my point is that Robinson is better than Barksdale and Troutman so start him and get the best 5 players on the line.

Barksdale is a cheap signing and risk free so definitely worth trying. I think Fluker will be an excellent G but no point moving him if we're not getting better at RT. Barksdale gives us a competition at RT but we've a lot of prospects at RG that i'm interested in. I'd love to see Sirles or Watts earn the RG and Fluker stay at RT

It's a good value deal for chargers gives competition at rt and also may improve rg aswell, read last night rivers is open to short term contract is something needs to be worked on, weedle still holding out, I'm a bit disappointed that now the drafts over there doesn't seem to be progress on his contract, I know age is becoming a factor but he's still a major player for us for few years to come

Advertisement