Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chargers Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Well I'm only a fan and the teams FO would have a lot more knowledge on evaluating players so I'll not write him off. He has huge potential and is physically gifted so if he can make the right reads quickly he'll be a beast. How fast can he learn will determine whether he was worth a first round or not, if he's a slow developer then he should have been a 3rd round pick.
    What kind of has me worried is you don't hear many teammates talking about how good he looks or how great his work ethic is at practice, I always like hearing that because it shows that the veterans like this new player.

I really like BO but don't think he has the physical attributes to be a no.1 back, I have no problem with him splitting reps 50/50.

Brown is only good for pass protection but if Woodhead stays healthy he'll be in on 3rd downs anyway so Brown is redundant. If he wasn't on such a high salary I'd keep him but I'm all in favour of cutting him. We have other players who deserve that money

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

OAOB wrote: »
    Well I'm only a fan and the teams FO would have a lot more knowledge on evaluating players so I'll not write him off. He has huge potential and is physically gifted so if he can make the right reads quickly he'll be a beast. How fast can he learn will determine whether he was worth a first round or not, if he's a slow developer then he should have been a 3rd round pick.
    What kind of has me worried is you don't hear many teammates talking about how good he looks or how great his work ethic is at practice, I always like hearing that because it shows that the veterans like this new player.

I really like BO but don't think he has the physical attributes to be a no.1 back, I have no problem with him splitting reps 50/50.

Brown is only good for pass protection but if Woodhead stays healthy he'll be in on 3rd downs anyway so Brown is redundant. If he wasn't on such a high salary I'd keep him but I'm all in favour of cutting him. We have other players who deserve that money

Yep Brown has to go simples... it's imperative to be honest.

As for BO he was the bellcow in school. I'd happily ride him over Gordon right now. He carried over 300 times 2 years in college. Yes I know it was not the NFL but he can carry the load per se.

Big fan of BO, great attitude and work ethic but I don't think any DC is going to be shaking in his boots if he's our starter. He doesn't have the burst to go outside so they can defend against the run narrowly.

Big fan of BO, great attitude and work ethic but I don't think any DC is going to be shaking in his boots if he's our starter. He doesn't have the burst to go outside so they can defend against the run narrowly.

Yep BO might not be a highlight reel type back ala Gordon in college but BO can certainly keep the chains moving and score from in close. I'm hoping that the mix of the 3 of em works great. Adios Donald Brown please God.

Oh and BTW just watched the 2nd half of the Seachickens game. Javontee Herndon seems to have come on leaps and bounds. He is defo a keeper for me, I can't help but think Inman will be odd one out now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭tripperman

Leslie91 wrote: »
    Yep BO might not be a highlight reel type back ala Gordon in college but BO can certainly keep the chains moving and score from in close. I'm hoping that the mix of the 3 of em works great. Adios Donald Brown please God.

Oh and BTW just watched the 2nd half of the Seachickens game. Javontee Herndon seems to have come on leaps and bounds. He is defo a keeper for me, I can't help but think Inman will be odd one out now.

BO doesn't have the power for outside runs, but his agility up the middle or around the corner in get threw defenders is first class and he his a good receiver back aswell, aka jets last year Seahawks last week doesn't seem to be fluke he can make big receiving plays, how many and which te and wr do yous think will be kept, is Chris Davis the cb cut?

• Advertisement

tripperman wrote: »
    BO doesn't have the power for outside runs, but his agility up the middle or around the corner in get threw defenders is first class and he his a good receiver back aswell, aka jets last year Seahawks last week doesn't seem to be fluke he can make big receiving plays, how many and which te and wr do yous think will be kept, is Chris Davis the cb cut?

Yes Chris Davis was in the first cuts but apparently he is going to IR and Chargers are looking to keep him for 2016 unlike the rest of those injured players released. They will all get a settlement and be gone.

Yes Chris Davis was in the first cuts but apparently he is going to IR and Chargers are looking to keep him for 2016 unlike the rest of those injured players released. They will all get a settlement and be gone.

Thought it was strange he was cut he was good on punt returns and seemed to be progressing into a ok cb,

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭setanta74

I miss LT.

setanta74 wrote: »
    I miss LT.

Haha so so true D. Makes you think about what you have when you have it. I mean v soon we won't have Gates playing for us. We need to cherish these players while they wear the blue n gold.

setanta74 wrote: »
    I miss LT.

The reason I became a chargers fan,

• Advertisement

Seems tt and McCoy don't want save cap space and cut brown, but cutting Novak is a big risk imo

So how are people feeling about the roster?

The big shock is replacing Novak with Lambo, ballsy call but i have to say we didn't look great on STs coverage in the preseason so if he can kick it dead that'll benefit us greatly. Feel bad for Novak, he's been one of the leagues better kickers

Donald Brown made it, no surprise but it's disappointing. He must be a good locker room guy

Was happy to see Philips beaten out of the TE spots, he never offered much. I do think our TEs are our weakest group at the moment

Our wideouts looklike a good group, no standout player but lots of guys for Rivers to spread it to. Hope they split the snap counts pretty evenly as they all offer different skills

The biggest shock was Burwell making it. I have no idea what to think about it as no one was even talking about him as on the bubble. Reality is he might be needed as a G in the coming weeks as Troutman won't be healthy week 1
    Good to get a draft pick for Sirles as we were never going to get him to the PS, still think he's better than Troutman and would have been better keeping him

DL is no surprise but i think we'll be keeping an eye out for who has been cut from other teams so may see change

Really like our LBers and good to see Tourek being given the chance to get healthy. Nzubnar played his way on to the roster so good for him. I think our LBers will have to contribute heavily on STs as we're carrying so many

DBs are as expected and look good. Still not convinced by Steve Williams, i wonder would he have beat Davis out if he hadn't got injured

So our roster is pretty good. We now have to think about who gets cut when Gates returns, most likely Kyle Miller.
    I also think Craig Watts gets on the 53 after his suspension and i think Burwell might be short lived, probably PS him.

The practice squad is as expected with 7 of 10 filled so far. I have to think Ducre and Philips would have a good chance of making other rosters as they are competing for places where we have our best depth

The big shock is replacing Novak with Lambo, ballsy call but i have to say we didn't look great on STs coverage in the preseason so if he can kick it dead that'll benefit us greatly. Feel bad for Novak, he's been one of the leagues better kickers

Donald Brown made it, no surprise but it's disappointing. He must be a good locker room guy

Was happy to see Philips beaten out of the TE spots, he never offered much. I do think our TEs are our weakest group at the moment

Our wideouts looklike a good group, no standout player but lots of guys for Rivers to spread it to. Hope they split the snap counts pretty evenly as they all offer different skills

The biggest shock was Burwell making it. I have no idea what to think about it as no one was even talking about him as on the bubble. Reality is he might be needed as a G in the coming weeks as Troutman won't be healthy week 1
    Good to get a draft pick for Sirles as we were never going to get him to the PS, still think he's better than Troutman and would have been better keeping him

DL is no surprise but i think we'll be keeping an eye out for who has been cut from other teams so may see change

Really like our LBers and good to see Tourek being given the chance to get healthy. Nzubnar played his way on to the roster so good for him. I think our LBers will have to contribute heavily on STs as we're carrying so many

DBs are as expected and look good. Still not convinced by Steve Williams, i wonder would he have beat Davis out if he hadn't got injured

So our roster is pretty good. We now have to think about who gets cut when Gates returns, most likely Kyle Miller.
    I also think Craig Watts gets on the 53 after his suspension and i think Burwell might be short lived, probably PS him.

The practice squad is as expected with 7 of 10 filled so far. I have to think Ducre and Philips would have a good chance of making other rosters as they are competing for places where we have our best depth

I was amazed that they went for Lambo. I'm also amazed that another team has not picked up Novak already. I hope Lambo isn't another Wade Richey (the last big leg we had who could not kick it thru the posts).

Disgusted Donald Brown is sticking. It's like he is TT's kid or something.

John Phillips was always 'that' player on paper. Never did anything on the field for me, glad to see the back of him. Miller has looked a far better prospect. I'd also like to think he might beat out Johnson when Gates returns.

Burwell has grown on me, the thing about him is his athleticism. He was a TE not so long ago. He looks like a promising Marcus McNeill type but I have to think he'd be on the PS had Sirles not left. Burwell will only ever be a Tackle though so wouldn't see him competing with Trout (who I'd like to have seen dumped too to be honest).

I agree on Tourek Williams he seems to have come on leaps and bounds and is the heir apparent to JJ. I was surprised to see Dzub make it, yes he's done well in his chances but he does not look like an NFL ILB to me. He might well end up as something like a long snapper were he to start practicing that.

Your'e right on Williams he is lucky to make it. Pity Ducre was hurt most of the preseason because I'd like to have seen him get a shot at winning that job. They like Davis I've read that they plan to keep him and have him go again in 2016.

It will be interesting to see who is gone after Gates gets back.. Will it be a straight swop with one of the TEs? or someone else. Interesting to see that only 1 of the guys we cut got picked up by another team i.e. TE Brian Parker. Was amazed to see Herndon survive to the PS, he won't be there for long imho.

I'm shocked at Novak been cut, thought the points on the board with a reliable kicker in clutch moments would have swung it his way, sure lambo has stronger leg for kickoffs, but has he the bottle to make a high pressure long fg kick in last play like against 49ers last season to win a game,

the Donald Brown cap hit is enough to cut him, he only functions for us as a blocker, the cap could be used to improve another position on the team,

te is interesting, Phillips gone no loss there, millier in high celling in belive in potential, green seems to have improved and set to contribute on reasonable scale (not gates scale, but that's to be expected), think all will be kept when gates is off his ban,

wr looks promising think keeping Williams was good move don't think he would clear waivers, his speed is amazing dodnt realise he was so quick, few drops but that can be worked on in practice,

I had to look up burwell had no idea he would be kept, think he cut to ps for gates or watts return for bans,

d line needs improvement I think, no real surprises in defence think that dzunbar will be ps to make room same burwell for gates or watts, tourek and Ingram seem to have really improved and could be serious trouble to opposing qbs when fit,

Overall fairly happy with it playoffs could be reasonable goal deoending on injusrys of course and read on bftb that this roster has only 7 players 30 or over and only one of them on defence weddle and none on o line so tt is working into a young team for the future

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭carmanard

No major surprises here I guess..

http://www.chargers.com/news/2015/07/30/lightning-report#LR065

Many a slip between cup and lip though, wouldn't be amazed to see a change or two when the team actually lines up on the field. Can't wait for the weekend now, it's worse than waiting for Christmas to come around each year!!

carmanard wrote: »
    No major surprises here I guess..

http://www.chargers.com/news/2015/07/30/lightning-report#LR065

Many a slip between cup and lip though, wouldn't be amazed to see a change or two when the team actually lines up on the field. Can't wait for the weekend now, it's worse than waiting for Christmas to come around each year!!

Yep there will defo be changes to the roster in the first couple of weeks. Good to see them quitting the BS and show Fluker at RG. They had Trout there up until this depth chart. Imho Trout should not even be in the 53. It will be v interesting to see who they do not dress Sunday. Remember only 46 can be dressed to play on gameday.

There are are few defos - Tourek, Trout and Burwell. After that it is anybodys guess. Donald Brown might be one of them. Imagine paying him that money to wear sweats on game day, feckin waste of a roster spot that lad.

Yep there will defo be changes to the roster in the first couple of weeks. Good to see them quitting the BS and show Fluker at RG. They had Trout there up until this depth chart. Imho Trout should not even be in the 53. It will be v interesting to see who they do not dress Sunday. Remember only 46 can be dressed to play on gameday.

There are are few defos - Tourek, Trout and Burwell. After that it is anybodys guess. Donald Brown might be one of them. Imagine paying him that money to wear sweats on game day, feckin waste of a roster spot that lad.

I reckon trouek, troutman injured and joined by burwell, Brown, Tyrell Williams, dzunbar, that's what I think but I could a million miles away, I just think Tyrell needs a few weeks before being ready for game day,

tripperman wrote: »
    I reckon trouek, troutman injured and joined by burwell, Brown, Tyrell Williams, dzunbar, that's what I think but I could a million miles away, I just think Tyrell needs a few weeks before being ready for game day,

U need to sit 1 more Tripper? who will it be?

U need to sit 1 more Tripper? who will it be?

Sorry hadn't counted them, probably a cb maybe mager he is the last listed cb I belive, a little raw yet, the last one is a tight call imo

When we get Gates back, that depth chart is going to look even sweeter too. There's obviously going to be a lot of spotlight on Melvin Gordon, starting the season against serious run-stuffers like Detroit is hardly ideal but I'm hopeful he can show up well. I'll be keeping fingers crossed that Ingram, Watt and Woodhead can make it through without injury, that Addae can banish the horrors we endured with Gilly at safety, that our CB one-two make a serious statement by shutting out Megatron et al, Lambo nails any & all kicks that come his way and that Phil gets plenty of time to wreak havoc behind the re-jigged line. Not asking for much I guess!!!

• Advertisement

carmanard wrote: »
    When we get Gates back, that depth chart is going to look even sweeter too. There's obviously going to be a lot of spotlight on Melvin Gordon, starting the season against serious run-stuffers like Detroit is hardly ideal but I'm hopeful he can show up well. I'll be keeping fingers crossed that Ingram, Watt and Woodhead can make it through without injury, that Addae can banish the horrors we endured with Gilly at safety, that our CB one-two make a serious statement by shutting out Megatron et al, Lambo nails any & all kicks that come his way and that Phil gets plenty of time to wreak havoc behind the re-jigged line. Not asking for much I guess!!!

It will be the old case of running backs by committee the first few weeks methinks until Gordon gets his legs under him. Which for me is disappointing. If you pick a RB as high as him I'd expect him to beast it from day 1 and he has not. Like u say though all we can hope for is no injuries to the 'band-aid' brothers - Ingram, Attaochu, Watt, M80 and Woody.

If Philip gets the protection he needs he will torch the Lions I reckon. Stevie Johnson is uncoverable and what with he M80 and Keenan all being on the field at the same time along with Woody & Green watch out. Perhaps the pass will open up the run somewhat too. Would love to see Gordon gash them for a big one, something we never got from Mathews. Verrett and Flowers et al will have their work cut out with Megatron but bring em on.

Anyone else slightly concerned about ladarius been evaluated for possible concussion after training yesterday, hope its only been extremely cautious, would be big blow if he were to miss out on sunday

That's the first i heard about it but if i'm honest i don't think he's going to be a big part of our offense anyway. The coaches just don't seem to have faith in him and while he's looked brilliant at times he hasn't forced his way into the offense.
    If Gates wasn't banned we probably wouldn't be too concerned about him missing a game

It's worrying yes but I'm a bit like OAOB in that how much of a threat is he anyway? he does look like he has the tools and potential but he needs to bring it bigtime now that he might be the focus of attention while Gates is out. Miller has looked reliable enough too certainly in terms of being a pass catcher. Like Green not sure how much of a blocker Miller is. Some are even talking about bringing John Phillips back already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

Interesting day. Hope Fluker is okay. Also looks like we got a steal on the 5th round

Was sorely tempted to switch off and go to bed with 25 minutes gone last night, very glad I didn't though!! Great performances from Phil & from Keenan, Stevie Johnson & Green making YAC was downright inspirational, Kyle Emmanuel could hardly have dreamed of getting a start like that to his NFL career.. Great to see Ingram, floyd & woodhead all showing up well, all 3 running backs had some highlight moments to be fair.. Injury curse striking already is a downer, hopefully Fluker heals up in record quick time as we'll need him for the challenges ahead in the divisional games.. I get the feeling last night could be somewhat typical of our season, that when we are good we are very very good, but when we are bad we're horrid!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Superbowl bound......

Even when we were down 21-3 I had a funny feeling all would be OK. Can't explain it. I was even tweeting with another lad at the time who felt the same way.

Our passing O is unstoppable if we can give Philip time. Keenan looks energised and motivated. Stevie was a great pick up and Rivers even passed it to Green who is a beast with that size/speed combo. Let's forget about him as a blocker and just have him play wideout for chrissakes.

Thought the corners were outstanding. Verrett is a star already.

Te'o and to lesser extent Butler were not good. Might not be long before we see Perryman, I hope.

Killed me to see Fluker go down. Hoping it is not too bad.

Emanuel was a total steal in round 5, the lad just gets it. Fantastic debut.

1 and 0 baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭setanta74

That was so Chargers. We are a mad mad team. Mixing the ridiculous with the sublime. Never a dull moment.

• Advertisement

It was tough game listening on radio at work, the defence played well to get three interceptions and a few sacks, very early to say it after one game but Kyle looks like a massive steal from fifth round, we must remember he was a defensive end in college so makes the change to olb in pro even more impressive though, rivers there's no way you can undervalue him, its great that contract is in the bag with performances like that, think woodhead was great two tds on comeback, think Gordon is improving was it or was it not a td for him?, green is just another wr no pass block, but great speed and good hands only thing think he quit on a route that gave an intercept up, hope dj is not serious injury he made a td for woodheac with a massive block, 1-0 good start Bengals going be very tough road game,

Advertisement