Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco - world beers - any 5 for €10

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Would anyone happen to know which (if any) of the 'new' beers in this offer are in the Tesco in Galway? I ask as it's a bit of a hike for me and I don't want to make the effort if they only have the usual suspects.

I'm particularly keen to find out if they're stocking: Fuller's Black Cab, Proper Job, and Oxford Gold.

They seem to have a new range included. I picked up the Black Cab and Youngs double choc stout today. Easiest way to see what's included in the offer is to sign into tesco online as if you were shopping online.

Can't vouch for Galway stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

They seem to have a new range included. I picked up the Black Cab and Youngs double choc stout today. Easiest way to see what's included in the offer is to sign into tesco online as if you were shopping online.

Can't vouch for Galway stores.

Thanks for the reply. I'm just wondering about the Galway Shopping Centre store in particular, as there were some beers in this offer last time that were in other Tesco stores for weeks but took their time getting to the west!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

johnnykilo wrote: »
    Yeah I'm with you on that one, only discovered IPA a few months ago and it's my favourite now. There seems to be no IPA (well apart from the so-so O'Hara's "Irish Pale Ale") in this round of World Beers special offers. If it's any consolation to you Superquinn also have a world beers offer; it's 6 for the price of 5 and each beer is around 2.50 so it's more expensive that Tesco but they have a great selection of IPAs:

Goose Island
    Brewdog IPA
    Sierra Nevada
    Sierra Nevada Torpedo
    Brooklyn Lager Special Pale Ale
    etc....

Sadly not, no Superquinn in Letterkenny. I might pop in to Tesco after work and see what's there, knowing my luck though I'd be ID'd if I tried to pick up a bottle or two of goose island.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,848 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Beer Baron wrote: »
    At least the industry(me included) can thank Tesco, in a small way, for bringing flavour to the masses. When I started selling premium beers I was thinking "yeah, these taste fine" etc etc but after a few months somebody offered me a bottle of Heineken and it was so watery and bland I was shocked I was drinking it for so long.

was running low a few weeks ago and had a few corona
    i couldnt stomach it at all and it just made me realise what
    a quality beer is
    asahi all the way
    big tigers
    utenos lovely but its generally 2euro anyway
    found efes nice too

thought the ginger beer was poison
    the banana beer i found sickening altogether
    wasnt even gonna attempt the chocolate beer after those two

fair play to tesco for keeping it going
    it's a bit sad that dunnes couldnt follow suit
    super valu have a crap selection of beers as it is

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Keith186

MOH wrote: »
    Worst. Sale. Ever. :)

Meh, the way I look at it is it's €10 for 4 Sierra Nevada in my offy and 6 for €12.50 in Superquinn so it's not the worst 'sale' ever.

Good few of the SQ beers are overpriced though, I will agree with that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

Keith186 wrote: »
    Meh, the way I look at it is it's €10 for 4 Sierra Nevada in my offy and 6 for €12.50 in Superquinn so it's not the worst 'sale' ever.

I think he was referring to the offer which I had down as 5 for the price of 6 instead of the other way around :o

But yeah I agree with you, selling Goose Island for 2.50 when Tesco had it for 1.50 is a bit much, though then again the Brooklyn Special Pale ale is 6.9% and the Sierra Nevada Torpedo is 7.2% so it's not as if I'd drink a load of them on a night either.

That Ginger Beer from Tesco as another poster mentioned is absolute poison! I love homemade ginger beer but I had to pour most of that stuff from Tesco down the sink. Absolutely undrinkable!

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

Keith186 wrote: »

U missed it, the deal above was written wrong by johnnykilo as a buy 5 pay for 6 instead of buy 6 pay for 5! :o

So, I picked up some
    Banana Bread Beer....find it lovely
    Theakstons old peculier... another fantastic
    Youngs Bitter...another favourite
    Waggle Dance...have not had the pleasure yet

Damn, Johnnykilo beat me to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Would anyone happen to know which (if any) of the 'new' beers in this offer are in the Tesco in Galway? I ask as it's a bit of a hike for me and I don't want to make the effort if they only have the usual suspects.

I'm particularly keen to find out if they're stocking: Fuller's Black Cab, Proper Job, and Oxford Gold.

Was in the one on the Headford road last weekend, very poor selection, did pick up a 6 pack of Sunburnt Irish Red by 8 degrees brewing, which has a nice toasty flavor.
    Can pick up Proper Job in my local off license, one of my Summer favorites, great for BBQ, 20+ degrees today - woo hoo.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Was in the one on the Headford road last weekend, very poor selection, did pick up a 6 pack of Sunburnt Irish Red by 8 degrees brewing, which has a nice toasty flavor.
    Can pick up Proper Job in my local off license, one of my Summer favorites, great for BBQ, 20+ degrees today - woo hoo.

I made it in to that Tesco today and the selection still isn't great. They had Oxford Gold but not the others I was hoping for, such as Fuller's Black Cab; Proper Job and Weihenstephaner Vitus.

What's your local off licence?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

What's your local off licence?

Next Door in Wicklow Town, they bring in a nice collection.
    I was up in Greystones today and picked up a nice few between O'Briens and Superquinn. And they are going down well along with some cremated food :)

191283_4128589987400_1215017063_o.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Newgrange Warrior

Picked up Wychcraft blonde beer today as part of the five, very bland....next on the menu be 2 new organic beers- Oxford Gold & Stinger. At least I 2 no. Paulaner to wash them down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭dorkacle

Had a few Utenos the other night, sampled the Bannana Bread Beer beforehand too, it was nice but I could imagine a little bit sickly after a couple!

Have a few Firsty Ferrets and something else (can't remember the name just now) in the fridge now for my next 'sampling' session :)

The Utenos is pretty mild so I'm looking forward to some Firsty Ferret, but must say I felt much worse than I normally would after a few 'typical' beers though... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,452 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Picked up Wychcraft blonde beer today as part of the five, very bland....next on the menu be 2 new organic beers- Oxford Gold & Stinger. At least I 2 no. Paulaner to wash them down.

Don't expect anything from the Stinger - I thought it was awful and poured most of it down the sink. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

the ferret is like tanglefoot, fairly ropey!

Anyone try the london gold rush beer from bishops finger makers, in lidl at moment for 1.49 a bottle, nice stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Liverpool1975

Had these 5 this weekend :D

Stinger: interesting, tingles but lacks flavour
    London Pride: my safe bet and still ticks the box.
    SA Gold: Much much better than SA
    Oxford Gold: very nice indeed
    Belfast Lager: lovely lager, plenty of flavour

Going to do the germans this weekend, anyone tried the "world's best beer"? 7.7%:eek: defo a weekend beer!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭CLARiiON

Went into O'Briens and they had a similar offer. 6 foreign beers for 10 quid.
    Smaller range of beers, but cheaper.
    Just an FYI! [Apologies if this was already mentioned - I didn't spot it, if it was]

I only got 2 different types:
    Spaten
    Warsteiner

and they were grand!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,231 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

tried Curim beer, from Co. Carlow , only fair, would not be getting it again.

had 2 bottles of O'Haras Stout, not bad at all. But i would only drink a few I think.

Also had a few bottles of Budwar, very nice , but i have had many of these in the past :D

tried a bottle of Bulmers Spiced Apple and honey. it was fairly nice. then again i am a big fan of cider in general. there was also a rhubarb flavour that i will try next time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Going to do the germans this weekend, anyone tried the "world's best beer"? 7.7%:eek: defo a weekend beer!!

yes extremely good, the strengh of the 7.7 doesn't kill the taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭kindalen

Which beer is the 7.7?

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭writhen

Weihenstephaner Vitus

• Advertisement

writhen wrote: »
    Weihenstephaner Vitus

It's a nice brew - solid weissbier flavours amped up a little. I wouldn't read too much into the "best beer in the world" blurb though. It certainly wouldn't be in my top 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭ronano

anyone know if clare hall tesco in dublin have a good selection?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Keith186

ronano wrote: »
    anyone know if clare hall tesco in dublin have a good selection?

Severely limited last time I was there, none of the ones that took my fancy were left. Tesco basically let all the stock lines dwindle and only seemed to restock a few types.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Chris.Buckley

2smiggy wrote: »
    tried a bottle of Bulmers Spiced Apple and honey. it was fairly nice. then again i am a big fan of cider in general. there was also a rhubarb flavour that i will try next time

I had that spiced apple and rhubarb one last weekend, was lovely. It didn't have the crispness and tang of a usual bulmers, and tasted abit like christmas. I'd recommend it in front of the fire watching telly, over than drinking it with a bbq.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

It's a nice brew - solid weissbier flavours amped up a little. I wouldn't read too much into the "best beer in the world" blurb though. It certainly wouldn't be in my top 10.

so what is your top ten ?, would love to know.

duckysauce wrote: »
    so what is your top ten ?, would love to know.

That's a tough question. I've never sat down to draw up a list, and although I've tried a significant number of beers there are many more that I haven't gotten to yet. Off the top of my head, some of my favourites would be:

Westvleteren 12 (Belgian)
    Lagunitas IPA (American)
    Schneider Weisse Tap 6 - Aventinus (German)
    Gandavum Dry Hopping (Belgian)
    Gouden Carolus Classic (Belgian)
    Chimay Red (Belgian)
    Goose Island IPA (American)
    Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen (German)
    Big Daddy IPA (American)
    Payback Porter (American)
    O'Hara's Leann Follain stout (Irish)
    Galway Hooker (Irish)
    Odell's IPA & Odell's 90 Shilling Ale (American)
    Brewdog Hardcore IPA (Scottish)

That's more than 10, but you get my drift. Most - but not all - of them can be purchased in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I've tried quite a lot of these

The only one I'd recommend is the Jap beer

I think the name is Asisha, something like that

Grey label, it's very nice

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

mikemac1 wrote: »
    I've tried quite a lot of these

The only one I'd recommend is the Jap beer

I think the name is Asisha, something like that

Grey label, it's very nice

It's calles Asahi :) It's delish :P

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Yittisay

I've always been a stout man who drank beer at home so I've enjoyed the varierty this has brought to my life, especially the ales. I'm an awkward man who likes diff drinks depending on the mood/weather/occasion and of the diff ones across the board that I've tried so far my favs would be:

O'Hara's Leann Follain (Don't be put off by the look of it when poured!)
    Coopers Pale Ale (only 4.5% so nice when looking for something refreshing, i didn't take to the stronger sparkling ale strangely though)
    Goose Island (nice strength for when I need to unwind quickly, I have Sierra Nevada in the fridge waiting to be tasted too)
    Pilsner Urquell (can't go wrong with this)

For me though the go to beer has to be 8 Degrees Howling Gale at the moment, found myself drinking lot of these over the BBQ this summer, smashing stuff really.

There are inconsistencies in what I like and don't like but there you go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭writhen

Yittisay wrote: »
    For me though the go to beer has to be 8 Degrees Howling Gale at the moment, found myself drinking lot of these over the BBQ this summer, smashing stuff really.

They were selling off 6 packs of these for €5 at the weekend.:D Lovely beer.

Advertisement