Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***Motors Chat Thread*** Round 1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Toyota are issuing a recall on a load of new model avensis and older rav 4s. They seem to be issuing more recalls than any other manufacturer.

Now why am I not surprised.... Best built cars in the world eh :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭cgal093

Col200sx wrote: »
    I had sills done on my 200sx before, got new jacking points put in, mostly surface rust, but structurally bad enough at the subframe mounting points. Got it done for a few hundered euro, and got it undersealed then too.

While that's pretty cheap and it looks fantastic in the pics, bare in mind a couple of things: you've not got any pics underneath, only small pics of side on sills, coming from UK and being 27 years old it could be absolutely rotten through.

Also, with this sentence in the add: The pictures of the car with its lights on are of the car in its prime.

It could be a total shadow of its former self by now.

Still, if it's a shell that's not completely rotten, it could be a great project :)

Mind me asking exactly how much it cost (if you can remember) and where it was done?

Also, had some old friends from school over. One with an Impreza WRX and an AE86 :cool: Beer and nice cars, nothing better. Until some Guards came along and searched us :/ They were cool about it though.

Epic night :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

dgt wrote: »
    Now why am I not surprised.... Best built cars in the world eh :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

totalrecallsh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

everytime I come to this chipper there is never ever a queue, maybe 1 / 2 people max

and the one proxy time I'm starving there's about 5 and a half million Spanish students in a queue not knowing what they want and all wearing stupid elumanis orange bags on their backs.

>:(

Pub was the same last night, minus the bags!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I should have a set of 18" Mk5 Golf Gti alloys coming my way soon, replica's with about 10000kms done on them! Will be there for handish money if anyone wants them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭gollywog

I should have a set of 18" Mk5 Golf Gti alloys coming my way soon, replica's with about 10000kms done on them! Will be there for handish money if anyone wants them

How much?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

Toyota are issuing a recall on a load of new model avensis and older rav 4s. They seem to be issuing more recalls than any other manufacturer.

do you feel this may be partially because the media is sitting on them waiting for them to issue another recall so they can capitalise on it? i'm sure there are more news forms watching toyotas campaigns and recalls than for example fords or hyundais etc. incidentally have they issued a campaign or is it a full scale recall?
    dgt wrote: »

why are you not surprised?

most manufacturers issue some form of campaign/ recall/ field fixes for cars every day of the week, worldwide. you just never hear of it, it just seems the global media have gotten their teeth into toyota and havn't let go.

not saying toyotas quality isn't dropping as they grow more modern, but they have more than proven the can make a good car. everybody is so quick to criticise a slip up but there are no pats on the back being handed out for the consistant run of quality cars over the last few decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,675 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Still getting recalls on the E60 for the boot / battery thing.

VW issued a "Product Improvement" for the B7 Passat recently. Not sure what it was for, but just a different way of wording a Recall.

andyseadog wrote: »
    why are you not surprised?

most manufacturers issue some form of campaign/ recall/ field fixes for cars every day of the week, worldwide. you just never hear of it, it just seems the global media have gotten their teeth into toyota and havn't let go.

not saying toyotas quality isn't dropping as they grow more modern, but they have more than proven the can make a good car. everybody is so quick to criticise a slip up but there are no pats on the back being handed out for the consistant run of quality cars over the last few decades.

My gran in 1982 and 1983 bought 2 brand new Starlets, KP61 I think? Was 1.3... Either way, with the first one the whole rear end fell apart within a year. Toyota recalled the car and she bought another one the following year. She was assured Toyota had been told of this problem and with development, it was rectified. Same problem, arse fell out again. Malones in Navan were littered with cars with the same problem :rolleyes: she bought an Uno after that

That was 30 years ago. Goodness knows what recalls went before that. You would think that after 30 years, they would iron out the faults. But why do the same things keep coming back? Sticky accelerators, jamming seatbelts, fire enducing sound deadening spring to mind from what I've heard and seen over the years. And I'm sure there are many, many more both you and I have never heard of.

Not saying other manufacturers are not like that, a company that says they haven't had a recall are liars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

everytime I come to this chipper there is never ever a queue, maybe 1 / 2 people max

and the one proxy time I'm starving there's about 5 and a half million Spanish students in a queue not knowing what they want and all wearing stupid elumanis orange bags on their backs.

>:(

5 and a half million? How big is this chipper?

• Advertisement

i dont understand your point dgt.

i mean when you say the back end "fell apart" did the car split in two or what?

what issues have they let re-occur?

every manufacturer as you so rightly say has re-calls, its very narrowminded to knock toyota for their recent recalls when in fact most nearly every manufacturer has ongoing recalls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭cgal093

5 and a half million? How big is this chipper?

LOL :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

every manufacturer as you so rightly say has re-calls, its very narrowminded to knock toyota for their recent recalls when in fact most nearly every manufacturer has ongoing recalls.

But other manufacturers don't rub it in with "best build cars in the world"

i'd just call that good marketing. sure if it works and people believe it then more fool them.

Where the rear axle met the body of the car, it would shear off. There was a weld that wasn't welded correctly or it was very poorly rustproofed. Either way, a problem that was supposedly rectified within a few weeks came back on the following years cars.

I haven't heard of that anymore since, but remember the abs faults over the past few years? Sticky accelerators? People lost their lives in america as a result...

I'm not going to start a debate as I don't have the time, I have to head back to work. You are very passionate about Toyotas and I respect that.

Just accept there is at least one person out there that isn't ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

cgal093 wrote: »
    LOL :D

What? Im just interested how big a chipper could be, to fit in "about" 5 and a half milloin people.

...... D to N should be a tactic any driver should be able to think up should a car runaway with a stuck accelerator. Loads of diesels run away on their engine oil, people don't leave them in gear ......

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Yeah, this is a big issue with the sticky accelerator.
    A huge fault no doubt but why some one wouldn't depress the clutch if the car started running away like that is mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

OSI wrote: »
    Because they were American and didn't have clutches ;)

But yes, there must have been other issues that stopped the driver from putting it in N, or turning off the engine or burying the brakes.

Yep, the Toyotas in question were said to have D-N lockouts at high speed to prevent gearbox damage.

i'd just call that good marketing. sure if it works and people believe it then more fool them.

You workin today? I'll be in tesco in about an hour!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Yep, the Toyotas in question were said to have D-N lockouts at high speed to prevent gearbox damage.

High Speed? We're talking about the Prius here, right!?! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

What I enjoy about this recall is the description of the symptom - "abnormal knocking" from the rear - as opposed to the completely normal knocking noise from every corolla/avensis taxi I've been in.

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    High Speed? We're talking about the Prius here, right!?! :D

I dont think it was affected! :p
    When I was driving in the US I was amused just how aggressive the Prius drivers are. Cutting off Mustangs and trucks etc.

YESSSSSS!
    Found the money I had lost in work last week! Over the fcuking moon! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

gollywog wrote: »
    YESSSSSS!
    Found the money I had lost in work last week! Over the fcuking moon! :D

Lots of petrol money! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Matt Simis wrote: »
    I dont think it was affected! :p
    When I was driving in the US I was amused just how aggressive the Prius drivers are. Cutting off Mustangs and trucks etc.

I love pulling up beside a Prius at the lights in the Trans Am! :D

I love sonic boom overtaking them in the CSi. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I really really hope you put the Clarkson type smug face!!! :D

Gollywog, I am really happy for you m8! Though don't leave is hanging now. Where was it ?!

draffodx wrote: »
    Lots of petrol money! :D

Yup!
    Or a milltek!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Or pay your sister back, no? Haha

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement