Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***Motors Chat Thread*** Round 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Fiona

150+ cars at the meet hosted by E30 Owners today, 73 of them E30's :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Chuck_Norris

colm_mcm wrote: »
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3663920#

See this yoke, I have the feeling it's not actually a sporting as the broom yellw paint would suggest, but a special edition, it may have been called 'cool'
    Anyone remember these? 1.2 8 valve and 5 speed box but with some sporting bits?

Do indeed remember them. I though they were 16 valve though. And indeed, some "sporting" bits. Some were reasonably kitted out though. Some had a/c, and built in CD changers.

My first car was a C**togetinto Sporting. Feckin loved it. Twas a wee go kart of a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

The sporting is a 16 valve but I'm not sure if that one is a sporting. The seats look the same but the steering wheel is different in the sporting and I think it revved to 8k revs rather than 7

Mine also had the A/C and CD changer, 'twas a well specced lil car

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Chuck_Norris

The sporting is a 16 valve but I'm not sure if that one is a sporting. The seats look the same but the steering wheel is different in the sporting and I think it revved to 8k revs rather than 7

Mine also had the A/C and CD changer, 'twas a well specced lil car

Doesn't appear to be badged as a sporting. Having said that, I didn't think you could get a yellow Punto, unless it was a Sporting? Could be wrong. I'm sure dgt would know.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'm pretty certain it's not a sporting, rev counter usually goes to 80 and door handles would be silver, I remember when that model came out, just wasn't sure if anyone actually bought one

Alloys are also the same as the elegance model and not the sporting ones

I remember this edition was available in yellow, just cant think of the name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Didn't they all have body kits too?

Anyone heard the phrase "Punto bikers"? ie bikers that show up to chopper shows and biker rallies in Puntos because their bikes are mothballed or broken. I heard the phrase and a week later I was at a bike show and the car park was a holy show with bikers in leather waistcoats and back patches emerging from all manner of affordable hatches...

cantdecide wrote: »
    Didn't they all have body kits too?

No, bumpers are the same, some have abarth side skirts, very very few have abarth bumpers

Punto - social welfare car.
    £30/week I think they could be got for when that phrase was commonly heard.

I know a guy who sold fiat around 2000, and you could indeed get a punto on finance if you were on the dole. Think it was a balloon payment deal.

How many classic cars were scrapped because of the mk1 Punto I wonder? I shudder to think...

• Advertisement

A lot of really shoddy cars went off the road when the first scrappage scheme came out. Way different to the last one, there was no nct back then

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

RoverJames wrote: »
    Punto - social welfare car.
    £30/week I think they could be got for when that phrase was commonly heard.

Hence the reason for the often poor reliability due to a complete lack of maintenance.

Lots of them were handed back after 3 years with baldies and the factory engine oil.

A lot of really shoddy cars went off the road when the first scrappage scheme came out. Way different to the last one, there was no nct back then

My mate sold Mazda and Citroen until recently and he scrapped a big modern Lex (might have been an LS430) against a Mazda 2 (I think). The story goes that Mr. had bought a new barge and the Lex went to the Mrs but was scrapped against the 2 when she couldn't get used to the size of the Lex.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3663920#

See this yoke, I have the feeling it's not actually a sporting as the broom yellw paint would suggest, but a special edition, it may have been called 'cool'
    Anyone remember these? 1.2 8 valve and 5 speed box but with some sporting bits?

Punto Active Sport. Basically a 1.2 8v with Sporting bits except the 6 speed box and bodykit (side skirts, spoiler etc). This one has the black dash but not the Sporting dials, a dead giveaway.

I had the real Sporting. It was nothing compared to a HGT.

Puntos aren't my area tbh...

Wasn't the active sport on the mk2.5

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

dgt wrote: »
    Punto Active Sport. Basically a 1.2 8v with Sporting bits except the 6 speed box and bodykit (side skirts, spoiler etc). This one has the black dash but not the Sporting dials, a dead giveaway.

I had the real Sporting. It was nothing compared to a HGT.

Puntos aren't my area tbh...
    Was the steering wheel not also different on the sporting? It's been a few years but I'm nearly sure mine had a nicer wheel!

Some of the sporting wheels were blue I think. That's the same wheel as was on mine anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

There's a blue DC5 around my area I see quite a bit, this would be a nice thing other than the fact that the owner was stupid enough to buy fake AMG alloys on it.
    It makes me sick every time I see it. :(

Wasn't the active sport on the mk2.5
    You are right, that model line up was with the mk2b. Just whatever the equivalent of the Active Sport was, that's what that car is... :)
    Was the steering wheel not also different on the sporting? It's been a few years but I'm nearly sure mine had a nicer wheel!

Spot on, mine had a leather wheel :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

CianRyan wrote: »
    There's a blue DC5 around my area I see quite a bit, this would be a nice thing other than the fact that the owner was stupid enough to buy fake AMG alloys on it.

At least it's better than reading about Punto's. :P

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

CianRyan wrote: »

i demand pics. that must be so rotten looking that it should be putted in hall of fame!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

dar83 wrote: »

Not even Sportings at that! :pac:
    i demand pics. that must be so rotten looking that it should be putted in hall of fame!

Every time I go to take a picture my GF stops me because she thinks I'll be the one that looks mental. :eek:

I'll get a quick snap next time I see it.

dar83 wrote: »

You need to broaden your horizons.... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

dgt wrote: »
    You need to broaden your horizons.... :pac:

My horizon will never include such cars as a Punto. Even at their widest. :D

And I like wide horizons... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

Im still alive 1 day in :p

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Any whiplash yet? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Greyfoot

Antares wrote: »

Seen that car down at the Submarine pub, asked yo man if he wants to swap it for a 99 Focus :D

PS: Car looked absolutely mint.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement