Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The middle aged Irish woman

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

eviltwin wrote: »
    wow you got all that from one post :eek: amazing.....

And I'd be delighted to know from which one :p
    The one where I write about how I love dining out. Or the one where I listed all the expensive brands of clothing and shoes I own. And the make-up I wear. Or diets I'm on .....

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

haminka wrote: »
    eviltwin wrote: »
    wow you got all that from one post :eek: amazing.....

And I'd be delighted to know from which one :p
    The one where I write about how I love dining out. Or the one where I listed all the expensive brands of clothing and shoes I own. And the make-up I wear. Or diets I'm on .....
    Thanks haminka your the epithamy of what this thread is about,I value your contribution being a middle aged woman in Ireland your obviously comfortable with those bingo wings and good for you but we should really get back on topic and debate why is it that foreign girls look after themselves better in middle age.

Sappa wrote: »
    Thanks haminka your the epithamy of what this thread is about,I value your contribution being a middle aged woman in Ireland your obviously comfortable with those bingo wings and good for you but we should really get back on topic and debate why is it that foreign girls look after themselves better in middle age.

Mediterranean women and also most Slavic women may look different with few pounds more because they tend to put on in different areas. While most Irish women would be putting on the extra weight around their waist, they'd be putting on around their hips and tights and chest, keeping the waist relatively slim. If you compared them, weight-wise there wouldn't be much difference, only in the resulting figure. Combined with the very pasty looking skin the Irish are prone to, the result is more about aesthetics and looks. And the foreign girls would be also prone to bingo wins once they are overweight or don't exercise. And please, once again, stop mentioning my figure in terms of denial and bingo wings /which I don't have/ :cool: because if my petite size 6 is overweight for you, I dread to imagine what your ideal figure would look like.

P.S. did you mean epiphany?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Thanks haminka your the epithamy of what this thread is about.I value your contribution being a middle aged woman in Ireland your obviously comfortable with those bingo wings and good for you but we should really get back on topic and debate why is it that foreign girls look after themselves better in middle age.

..and there was me thinking you were big into self-improvement.

Mediterranean women and also most Slavic women may look different with few pounds more because they tend to put on in different areas. While most Irish women would be putting on the extra weight around their waist, they'd be putting on around their hips and tights and chest, keeping the waist relatively slim. If you compared them, weight-wise there wouldn't be much difference, only in the resulting figure. Combined with the very pasty looking skin the Irish are prone to, the result is more about aesthetics and looks. And the foreign girls would be also prone to bingo wins once they are overweight or don't exercise. And please, once again, stop mentioning my figure in terms of denial and bingo wings /which I don't have/ :cool: because if my petite size 6 is overweight for you, I dread to imagine what your ideal figure would look like.

Your talking out of your ass if you think Scandinavian women put weight in differently to Irish,utter codswallop.
    Anything to justify the excess and I do not for one second believe you are a size 6.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭stupidfishy

Sappa while I understand you feel that you put the effort in to be healthy and look well so why shouldn't everyone else, I think your delivery of this point comes across a bit harsh.

You said you lived the life of excess but made a conscious change which is great but would you have liked to be judged so harshly then? Fair play to you for coming to the conclusions that you weren't happy unhealthy but I think hammering your opinions into peoples skulls isn't going to do much in terms of getting them to change their lifestyles!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭kitty9

main question is:

does she spit or swallow?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I judge myself and I set myself goals and limits.
    Food is fuel and yes whilst I enjoy it I recognise it as a necessity and maybe it's the scientist in me but I look on it solely as a means to power my body.
    If it's sad tonwant to keep yourself in tip top shape then I feel for you

What evidence is the scientist in you basing this on? Purely visual observation?
    I wouldn't be overly surprised if there were statistics suggesting higher levels of obesity here (among both genders) due to our somewhat unhealthy diet, but I don't recall you providing any (open to correction on that).

I think you might not have done much observation around the Mediterranean, where the high level of grains (particularly in Italy) in an otherwise fairly healthy diet catches up with people (again, of both genders) around middle age, when rapid weight gain is common.

Do you think Irish men are as trim as men of all other nationalities? I find it odd that you're focussing on women.

General question: Why do you care about other people's weight? It doesn't affect you. Try to be more secure in yourself and only concern yourself with your own happiness and physical fitness. There's no need to compare yourself with others if you're confident in yourself.

Your talking out of your ass if you think Scandinavian women put weight in differently to Irish,utter codswallop.
    Anything to justify the excess and I do not for one second believe you are a size 6.

Well, believe me or not, I have no reason to make up my weight or dress size :) And I didn't know Scandinavian women are from the Mediterraneans or of Slavic origin which I was talking about. Btw - at work I am surrounded by enough Scandinavian women to know that many of them are built like bulldozers.

I think you might not have done much observation around the Mediterranean, where the high level of grains (particularly in Italy) in an otherwise fairly healthy diet catches up with people (again, of both genders) around middle age, when rapid weight gain is common..

+1. The stereotypical Italian 'Mamma Mia' isn't a rotund jolly old one for no reason.

• Advertisement

King of moo stat on topic and stop trying to derail it with attempts to focus on middle aged men,if you want start a threat on that and I will happily contribute.

King of moo stat on topic and stop trying to derail it with attempts to focus on middle aged men,if you want start a threat on that and I will happily contribute.

Mmm, I just love being ordered about!

This post suggests to me you have next to no confidence in your assertions as you're avoiding reasonable questions about them, and you're trying to affect a condescending manner in order to appear authoritative and confident in what you're saying.
    I'm also basing this sense of your lack of confidence in your assertions on a similar insecurity in terms of physical appearance I've inferred from your posts, which seem to suggest you wish to complain about the appearance of others in order to bolster your own self-image.
    Obviously I don't know you so I might be wrong in that assessment; it's just an educated guess.

If you can show me that middle-aged Irish women are definitely in worse shape than women of other nationalities, and that there's some reason why a similar discussion of men's weight is irrelevant, I might take you seriously.

If you can't do that, then good day to you.

Also, for the hell of it, pics or GTFO.

.... I do not for one second believe you are a size 6.

If only you knew what I don't for one second believe about you.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

When they say the thread title, did anyone else picture that "I'm sporty" scene in Intermission?

Mmm, I just love being ordered about!

This post suggests to me you have next to no confidence in your assertions as you're avoiding reasonable questions about them, and you're trying to affect a condescending manner in order to appear authoritative and confident in what you're saying.
    I'm also basing this sense of your lack of confidence in your assertions on a similar insecurity in terms of physical appearance I've inferred from your posts, which seem to suggest you wish to complain about the appearance of others in order to bolster your own self-image.
    Obviously I don't know you so I might be wrong in that assessment; it's just an educated guess.

If you can show me that middle-aged Irish women are definitely in worse shape than women of other nationalities, and that there's some reason why a similar discussion of men's weight is irrelevant, I might take you seriously.

If you can't do that, then good day to you.

Also, for the hell of it, pics or GTFO.
    You seem to have an obsession with derailing the thread.
    Why can't we have a thread solely on middle aged women without the feminists burning a bra and feeling insecure.
    Educated guess ohh please do enlighten me as to your credentials.
    Can you just one time climb down out of your ass and knock that chip of your shoulder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I do put effort into my appearance on nights out all that jazz, do what I can to avoid putting on a lot of weight etc, but that's where it starts and ends. I really don't give a crap what others do - why would I? It's got nothing to do with me. I'll be honest: if I saw someone who'd really, really let themselves go I'd feel a bit sorry for them, but otherwise, they do not impact my life so why wonder about it?

OP, a "debate" on why women (as opposed to people) can let themselves go in middle-age unlike their counterparts elsewhere? Yeah sure, no agenda being pushed, no attempt to just fling out insults. :pac:
    If it were a debate anyway, you wouldn't take such umbrage with people disagreeing with you. Or is a debate to you a discussion where everyone agrees with each other?

I'd say the weather is a factor - not saying bad weather is an excuse to let oneself go, but people are obviously going to be more inclined to get out and exercise and keep a trim bod if it's sunnier and warmer.

Edit: oh the "feminist" ammo has been trotted out. Yes, clearly only a feminist would get defensive about the sweeping statements and insults. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I think you're the only one feeling insecure Sappa. Your comments certainly haven't offended me, if anything this thread has been very entertaining.

Why can't we have a thread solely on middle aged women without the feminists burning a bra and feeling insecure..

Am I included in that?
    Educated guess ohh please do enlighten me as to your credentials..

Have you enlightened us as to the source of all your findings? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Dudess wrote: »
    I'd say the weather is a factor - not saying bad weather is an excuse to let oneself go, but people are obviously going to be more inclined to get out and exercise and keep a trim bod if it's sunnier and warmer.

Weather is definitely a factor. I live in Madrid and within a few weeks of moving here, weight fell off me with little or not effort. I'd come home from travelling just before moving here and put on some weight from eating all the biccies at my parents while I lived there temporarily. It's cheaper to eat healthier here plus the weather is almost always nice enough to go outside for a walk all year round....and it's actually enjoyable and not some kind of torture like it can be back home. Also, I've noticed my appetite is not as big here compared to home. The minute I get home to Dublin, I'm hungry. That kind of ravenous hunger I've only ever felt in Ireland. I don't get that here and I'd be fairly fond of my food and not on any kind of diet.

Can I also make the point that, yes, you'd find more overweight women in Ireland than here (I can only talk about Madrid though...from what I've seen, they've a bigger problem with obesity generally down the South) but my god, they smoke like feckin' chimnys here. Spanish women smoke more than any other nationality in the world. And the bizarre part of it is, the well-known fact that it rots you from the inside out has seemed to go right over their heads. I teach many middle-aged women who looked at me like I'd two heads when I asked them if they wanted to stop. Perhaps they use it to stay slim? Like very slim French women? Yep, very healthy indeed.

And don't get me started on the sun-tanning....

What I've learned here is just because you're slim, it doesn't make you healthy.

And just a by the way, massive problem with obesity among middle-aged men here. Beer bellies-arama. My friend made a comment the last day....seems middle-aged women here put themselves on very restrictive diets while men let themselves go completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

The abuse Irish women get on this forum is fucking pathetic.

I suspect that the chaps slagging them off, wouldnt get ridden into battle.

• Advertisement

Just to add, I don't want to knock Spanish middle-aged women either and I'm not saying they're all massive smoker/sun bathers - just making the point that someone might be slim and well dressed but it does not mean they're fit and healthy.

You seem to have an obsession with derailing the thread.
    Why can't we have a thread solely on middle aged women without the feminists burning a bra and feeling insecure.
    Educated guess ohh please do enlighten me as to your credentials.

I mean "educated guess" in the way it's usually used; to mean " a guess based on some evidence," the evidence being your posts.

Are you including me among the feminists? I'm not sure I'd label myself as such: I just hate to see uninformed bullsh*t being masqueraded as fact, and on many occasions, such as this one, it happens to be bullsh*t from a small minority of men towards women.
    Also, I don't have a bra.* *that belongs me to me

Like I said: we can have a debate solely about middle-aged Irish women being more overweight than all other nationalities if you can present evidence to back up your argument (which I imagine is almost possible if you do your research; we have a generally unhealthy diet and fairly high levels of obesity) as well as logical reasons why the issue of overweight Irish men should be excluded from the debate. So far you've failed to do so.
    Can you just one time climb down out of your ass and knock that chip of your shoulder.

I'm not sure I'm that flexible, which is surprising, apparently, given that I'm not a middle-aged woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

I would have to disagree with you. I think women on the continent actually age worse than Irish women, part due to the fact that they get more sun and take advantage of it a bit too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Borboletinha

If you think irish women are fat take a trip to the states...:D I've never seen so many fat women in my life as i've seen in america. I have an aunt whos obese when while she lived in america it was very good for her self confidence as nobody would stare at her there, as she just ''fit in'' with the other women. She lived in massachusetts.
    I think european women in general are slim compared to other countries as it is very important to be skinny in europe compared to south america for instance where men and even women ''like big butts and they cannot lie!'':cool:
    I have no hidden agenda saying that btw as im not european.

If you think irish women are fat take a trip to the states...:D I've never seen so many fat women in my life as i've seen in america. I have an aunt whos obese when while she lived in america it was very good for her self confidence as nobody would stare at her there, as she just ''fit in'' with the other women. She lived in massachusetts.
    I think european women in general are slim compared to other countries as it is very important to be skinny in europe compared to south america for instance where men and even women ''like big butts and they cannot lie!'':cool:
    I have no hidden agenda saying that btw as im not european.

Not knocking what you said Borboletinha but talking generally has this just turned into debate on fat women again? Seems like all these threads just turn into a discussion about women's weight. Constructive me arse :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I think he meant "epitome", added an aitch cos it sounds more posh in his head and went wrong from there.
    IrishAm wrote: »
    The abuse Irish women get on this forum is fucking pathetic.
    It does kinda get like that alright.
    I suspect that the chaps slagging them off, wouldnt get ridden into battle.
    Indeed and likely wouldn't be within an asses roar of getting a "Latin booord" either.
    Eve_Dublin wrote:
    Weather is definitely a factor. I live in Madrid and within a few weeks of moving here, weight fell off me with little or not effort. I'd come home from travelling just before moving here and put on some weight from eating all the biccies at my parents while I lived there temporarily. It's cheaper to eat healthier here plus the weather is almost always nice enough to go outside for a walk all year round....and it's actually enjoyable and not some kind of torture like it can be back home. Also, I've noticed my appetite is not as big here compared to home. The minute I get home to Dublin, I'm hungry. That kind of ravenous hunger I've only ever felt in Ireland. I don't get that here and I'd be fairly fond of my food and not on any kind of diet.
    +1. It's a lot easier to stay healthy in the better climate. Not saying you can't here, but it can require a bit of a sadomasochist in someone. We're in that stodgy weather bit, between pretty hot and pretty cold. You eat less in the former and while you may eat more in the latter the cold burns it off you faster(as an endothermic animal the majority of our calories go to keeping our bodyheat up). In Ireland we're right in the middle. It's cold enough to want to eat more, but not cold enough to burn it off. Plus more sunlight tends to make people less stressed and get more vit D which helps mood, so comfort eating is likely gonna be less.

I agree with you regarding the smoking. They tend to puff away like feckin steam trains. Nicotine reduces hunger, fecks with your insulin levels and is a stimulant which ups the metabolic rate(something like 300 calories a day for a 20 a day smoker IIRC) so does tend to keep weight off. Like you say you do notice a difference depending on the area of Spain you're in. Ditto for France and Italy. Doesn't seem to be much of a diff here area wise. I'd also agree re the Spanish middle aged blokes with beerguts. Same with Italian men. Walking behind one you can tell their age fairly easily even if you never saw their face. The men seem to be very age conscious compared to here. IMHO you don't get that to nearly the same degree with Irish blokes.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Borboletinha

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    Not knocking what you said Borboletinha but talking generally has this just turned into debate on fat women again? Seems like all these threads just turn into a discussion about women's weight. Constructive me arse :rolleyes:

I didnt mean it like that, sorry.

I didnt mean it like that, sorry.

No problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Fizzlesque

Originally Posted by haminka

Wibbs wrote: »
    I think he meant "epitome", added an aitch cos it sounds more posh in his head and went wrong from there.

I thought he meant empathy.

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

Nothing worse than a fat Irish woman - pasty skin, rolls and rolls of fat, flabby arms like a beached whale, triple/quadruple/even more chins, nasty sense of bitterness and neuroticism, hatred of men who they no longer interest or have any power over often accompanied by a noticeable attitude of passive-agressiveness and/or anxiety disorder/frequent melancholy at their miserable failed lives, usually lazy also and main raison d'etre is to watch Coronation Street or some other $hite reality TV to talk about in between their frequent bltching sessions with their like-minded fat "friends".

Fat Irish women blame the climate, I believe they use the climate to their advantage to camouflauge (by dressing in tracksuit bottoms and other hideous over sized garments) their desecrated bodies and to spare the anguish and despair of the opposite sex at the sight of them.

Also the routine trek to the chipper after a feed of 10 pints doesn't help. The 10 pints probably are necessary though to relive a time in their minds when they were younger, freer, thin and life held so much potential. The same applies to Irish men apart also but the nasty psychological stuff is usually just confined to women.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement