Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The middle aged Irish woman

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

eviltwin wrote: »
    Whats middle aged these days? 40+? Nearly there :eek:

I am not a babe or a stunner, I have roots that need doing, I need to lose a stone ( or two :o ), I could do with some decent new clothes, I don't wear makeup. No man would look twice at me but so what?

I am actually in a very happy place, much happier now than when I was obsessing about looks, trying to be something I could never attain. I am probably a lot more crabby these days, work, kids, the recession tend to do that but again so what?

I think my man knows he is lucky to have me and wouldn't swap me for the world ;)
    You see this exactly the point,you wear no make up why not?
    A little overweight then deal with it,cranky because of the recession then it's time to do something about that.
    Your man knows he is lucky,does he or is he just being a saint and tolerating you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Sappa wrote: »
    A little overweight then deal with it,cranky because of the recession then it's time to do something about that.
    Your man knows he is lucky,does he or is he just being a saint and tolerating you.

Ah it's ALWAYS the womans fault:rolleyes: I do wonder what her man looks like:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Madam wrote: »
    Ah it's ALWAYS the womans fault

do you fetch the paper and get beer from the fridge too ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I don't wear make up cause its not practical for my job. I'll wear it on a night out but I have better things to do than spend hours in front of the mirror.

Of course I am cranky about the recession aren't we all?

A bit overweight...I am doing something about it. It takes time.

My man is very happy. As am I. If I was walking around like the unhappy soul you appear to be then he would probably hate to be around me. But he is a realist, he knows what he signed up for. If I didn't look like a supermodel at 18 he'd be a fool to think I look like one now :D

Snowie wrote: »
    do you fetch the paper and get beer from the fridge too ?

Eh?

• Advertisement

Ah it's ALWAYS the womans fault:rolleyes: I do wonder what her man looks like:)
    He may also take the same attitude and think ahh sure a little pot belly is grand,flabby body sure herself has let herself go why bother and exercise no need she likes me the way I am.
    That's the core issue,why is it acceptable to let yourself go in middle age, in my book it's not for both genders.
    My own father has a 6 pack in his 60's and can easily do 50 military chin ups in a row,he eats his food without sauce,never gets desert and I have never seen him drunk,why because he has iron discipline.
    People used laugh at him 30 odd yrs ago because he was so regimental about his diet and fitness now they are amazed he is so active.
    My point being if a man or woman is putting on weight just stop stuffing your face,if a woman is going grey then dye your hair,it's not that hard to make an effort .you see women of other nations looking stunning in their early 40's,it's not handed to them but they work hard at looking good and it pays off,no excuses why you can't keep on top of it all.

He may also take the same attitude and think ahh sure a little pot belly is grand,flabby body sure herself has let herself go why bother and exercise no need she likes me the way I am.
    That's the core issue,why is it acceptable to let yourself go in middle age, in my book it's not for both genders.
    My own father has a 6 pack in his 60's and can easily do 50 military chin ups in a row,he eats his food without sauce,never gets desert and I have never seen him drunk,why because he has iron discipline.
    People used laugh at him 30 odd yrs ago because he was so regimental about his diet and fitness now they are amazed he is so active.
    My point being if a man or woman is putting on weight just stop stuffing your face,if a woman is going grey then dye your hair,it's not that hard to make an effort .you see women of other nations looking stunning in their early 40's,it's not handed to them but they work hard at looking good and it pays off,no excuses why you can't keep on top of it all.

Fair play to him but that kind of dedication takes time. Most people in middle age can't do that.

I would love to be able to spend an hour or two working out but I have a job, kids, college, family. I have a life just like most other people my age...its just not possible to do it all no matter what you might think. If I spend an hour or even half an hour in a gym thats time away from my family and I'm just not prepared to sacrifice that. If that means I have to settle for being a size bigger than I would like so what? Who really cares?

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭noddyone2

I don't wear make up cause its not practical for my job. I'll wear it on a night out but I have better things to do than spend hours in front of the mirror.

My man is very happy. As am I. If I was walking around like the unhappy soul you appear to be then he would probably hate to be around me. But he is a realist, he knows what he signed up for. If I didn't look like a supermodel at 18 he'd be a fool to think I look like one now :D
    I have to say, fair play - you sound like you have it sorted. My wife spent years on diets, gave up a year ago, put on a little, now pleasantly plump, far happier. Still goes hill-walking, gardens, etc. Takes a glass or two etc, without guilt. Life's too short for going around with a head full of crap.

Wearing makeup
    Does not take hours,surprisingly my missis can apply it in a record 15 minutes and it looks great minimally applied.
    Yes we all could do without this recession but hey just accep the fact that the paper money was never real.
    Being overweight good for you that your addressing the issue.
    Your husband does not expect you to look the same as you did at 18 or 28 but he expects a certain amount if upkeep as you should of him.
    It's a two way street and both partners need to pull that chain or it's just going to lead down a slippery rope of self neglect.

.My own father has a 6 pack in his 60's and can easily do 50 military chin ups in a row,he eats his food without sauce,never gets desert and I have never seen him drunk,why because he has iron discipline.

Are you my brother? That describes my dad to a 'T'(he was in the Irish Guards when he was young)? :)

Btw way I don't have to make much of an effort I'm naturally goodlooking(ish) and quite slender(good genes don't you know, as my dad was fond of saying 'you can't fatten a thoroughbred')!

Your wife takes 15 minutes to put on her slap? Get her into Bare Minerals - she'll have that down to around 8!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭tempura

noddyone2 wrote: »
    I have to say, fair play - you sound like you have it sorted. My wife spent years on diets, gave up a year ago, put on a little, now pleasantly plump, far happier. Still goes hill-walking, gardens, etc. Takes a glass or two etc, without guilt. Life's too short for going around with a head full of crap.

I agree to an extent about the life being too short thing. I just wanted to advise you , never, ever, say to your wifes face that she is pleasantly plump. That is one descripition no woman ever wants to hear, it immediatly conjures up images of head scarf wearing, 1970's, swollen ankled, sponge baking, coddle on the hob, Irish mammy.

I can't stress this enough, keep it to yourself.

Other then that, fair play, glad to hear your a happy couple enjoying life.

Wearing makeup
    Does not take hours,surprisingly my missis can apply it in a record 15 minutes and it looks great minimally applied.
    Yes we all could do without this recession but hey just accep the fact that the paper money was never real.
    Being overweight good for you that your addressing the issue.
    Your husband dies not expect you to look the same as you did at 18 or 28 but he expects a certain amount if upkeep as you should of him.
    It's a two way street and both partners need to pull that chain or it's just going to lead down a slippery rope of self neglect.

Maybe that works for you and your other half but I am perfectly happy. I think its quite easy to see when the person you live with is really happy or just putting up with a situation they hate and I agree if something is causing a problem it has to be addressed not ignored.

But as hard as it is for you to believe people can actually be happy without looking like a vision of perfection. Beauty is a very subjective thing after all.

I'm no oil painting but the people around me don't care, more to the point neither do I :D Happiness doesn't come from knowing you look good, it comes from feeling good.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

Hang on, I talked to 4 Irish guys in Germany who all agreed with me. None of them have ever been on a date before in their lives and they were all in their early 20s, and all of them talked about how much more genuine, authentic, down-to-earth and easier to meet German women were than Irish women, and that's even if you can only speak basic German and are speaking with them in English. Only a minority of German women speak English, yet at that time when I spoke little German, I was meeting loads of women who I could communicate with in English. How do you explain this?

I know lots of German women and their grasp of English is actually very good.
    So either you were moving in the circles where education is not important or your relationships and especially one night /hour/ stands must have cost you loads of money.

.My own father has a 6 pack in his 60's and can easily do 50 military chin ups in a row,he eats his food without sauce,never gets desert and I have never seen him drunk,why because he has iron discipline.

Your wife takes 15 minutes to put on her slap? Get her into Bare Minerals and she'll get that down to around 8.

Your wife takes 15 minutes to put on her slap? Get her into Bare Minerals - she'll have that down to around 8!

Are you my brother? That describes my dad to a 'T'(he was in the Irish Guards when he was young)? :)

Btw way I don't have to make much of an effort I'm naturally goodlooking(ish) and quite slender(good genes don't you know, as my dad was fond of saying 'you can't fatten a thoroughbred')!
    Ha ha good for you with your lucky good genes,yepp my dad is ex army ranger hence the regimental attitude but he does not let it dominate his life just fits it in nicely.
    I'm not having a go but it does amaze me when I see cousins etc as big as a station wagon purely from lack of self discipline.
    I'm early 30's and cannot eat the crap I used to eat as I would just balloon in weight,my wife never eats junk and as a snack would rather eat savoury over sweet,I am the opposite but I know it's just shyte for me so I just sacrifice and go without.
    I bumped into an old school friend last week,had not seen the guy in12 yrs and he was as grey as mercury,huge belly on him and an aged face.
    Now I literally did not recognise him and had to think who's this until it clicked.
    All I am saying is 45 mins a day upkeep
    Is all it takes and the discipline to say no the food or dink is toxic to my body I don't need that and you are well on your way to looking good and feeling good.

Ha ha good for you with your lucky good genes,yepp my dad is ex army ranger hence the regimental attitude but he does not let it dominate his life just fits it in nicely.
    I'm not having a go but it does amaze me when I see cousins etc as big as a station wagon purely from lack of self discipline.
    I'm early 30's and cannot eat the crap I used to eat as I would just balloon in weight,my wife never eats junk and as a snack would rather eat savoury over sweet,I am the opposite but I know it's just shyte for me so I just sacrifice and go without.
    I bumped into an old school friend last week,had not seen the guy in12 yrs and he was as grey as mercury,huge belly on him and an aged face.
    Now I literally did not recognise him and had to think who's this until it clicked.
    Is all it takes and the discipline to say no the food or dink is toxic to my body I don't need that and you are well on your way to looking good and feeling good.

You are talking obesity there and yes thats a problem.

There is a big difference between being very obese and having a few extra pounds though.

As for the other thing, who are you to judge a woman with grey hair who doesn't wear makeup.

You seem very critical, I can't imagine its much fun to be so self obsessed. I hope you tone that message down for your kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭noddyone2

tempura wrote: »
    I agree to an extent about the life being too short thing. I just wanted to advise you , never, ever, say to your wifes face that she is pleasantly plump. That is one descripition no woman ever wants to hear, it immediatly conjures up images of head scarf wearing, 1970's, swollen ankled, sponge baking, coddle on the hob, Irish mammy.

I can't stress this enough, keep it to yourself.

Other then that, fair play, glad to hear your a happy couple enjoying life.
    Thanks for that advice. But she does bake a sponge now and then!

You are talking obesity there and yes thats a problem.

There is a big difference between being very obese and having a few extra pounds though.

As for the other thing, who are you to judge a woman with grey hair who doesn't wear makeup.

You seem very critical, I can't imagine its much fun to be so self obsessed. I hope you tone that message down for your kids.
    As a preference I just dislike grey hair on a woman especially when you have so many options to deal with it.
    I don't have kids just a dog who thinks he is one :)
    I wouldn't push my own opinions on them if I ever have them but I would try and steer them in the right direction to maintain themselves accordingly,I look at the body as a car,it need regular upkeep constant attention,put the right fuel into it.
    There is no excuse for a lack of exercise,30 mins when the tv is in you can be exercising.
    I don't think I am overly critical but I see my older siblings,hectic lives kids etc and they cram in exercise daily,never eat crap etc.
    I just have standards and won't tolerate self neglect,if my wife suddenly balloons in size I would help her lose it mainly for health reasons but also for my own benefit.
    She is also the first to tell me if I put on a little weight as are her friends,one commented a few months back ohh your feeding him well and I thought right time to
    Nipp that little excess in the budd and it's gone.
    My wife has friends in there 40's and 60's who just look amazing for there age and 90% of it is down to the food they consume.

Well, I am 40, wear no make-up because my skin doesn't like it. I am not overweight, not even having the few extra-pounds /size 6, actually/, I exercise regularly /I run marathons/ and love my junk food from time to time, including fish and chips and chocolate. I don't think there is food or drink that is toxic to my body, I just firmly believe, that too much of everything can be toxic and that includes too much restrain because it makes you think about it all the time /as it shows in your posts as well/. How about getting out and get some life instead of having a go at others? You come across as very bitter and obsessed with superficial things and prone to look for mistakes in others to make yourself feel better.

As a preference I just dislike grey hair on a woman especially when you have so many options to deal with it.
    I wouldn't push my own opinions on them if I ever have them but I would try and steer them in the right direction to maintain themselves accordingly,I look at the body as a car,it need regular upkeep constant attention,put the right fuel into it.
    There is no excuse for a lack of exercise,30 mins when the tv is in you can be exercising.
    I don't think I am overly critical but I see my older siblings,hectic lives kids etc and they cram in exercise daily,never eat crap etc.
    I just have standards and won't tolerate self neglect,if my wife suddenly balloons in size I would help her lose it mainly for health reasons but also for my own benefit.
    She is also the first to tell me if I put on a little weight as are her friends,one commented a few months back ohh your feeding him well and I thought right time to
    My wife has friends in there 40's and 60's who just look amazing for there age and 90% of it is down to the food they consume.

Your posts come across like image is an obsession...maybe thats just how it reads but it looks like you put a lot more thought into your image than most people and while its admirable to want to be the best you can its a fine line between that and an unhealthy mental attitude.

What happens when you have kids and you are tired and stressed and surviving on little sleep? Do you really think your priority is going to be touching up the grey or wearing mascara?

haminka wrote: »

Well, I am 40, wear no make-up because my skin doesn't like it. I am not overweight, not even having the few extra-pounds /size 6, actually/, I exercise regularly /I run marathons/ and love my junk food from time to time, including fish and chips and chocolate. I don't think there is food or drink that is toxic to my body, I just firmly believe, that too much of everything can be toxic and that includes too much restrain because it makes you think about it all the time /as it shows in your posts as well/. How about getting out and get some life instead of having a go at others? You come across as very bitter and obsessed with superficial things and prone to look for mistakes in others to make yourself feel better.
    Ohh classic denial but hey whatever floats your boat.
    If I come across bitter then I am at a loss as I certainly don't feel bitter and am in a damn good place at the moment.
    I have a life,I have partied excessesd to the max with everything but that's no longer an option for me anymore and I got to look at how I consume fuels and I how I burn them.
    If you believe that you can put whatever into your body without it having a toxic effect then you are being naieve.
    Yes it does bother me when I see people neglecting themselves as it should be a basic priinciple in our lives to maintain our body.
    I'm not talking supermodel looks just some daily upkeep.

• Advertisement

Ohh classic denial but hey whatever floats your boat.
    If I come across bitter then I am at a loss as I certainly don't feel bitter and am in a damn good place at the moment.
    I have a life,I have partied excessesd to the max with everything but that's no longer an option for me anymore and I got to look at how I consume fuels and I how I burn them.
    If you believe that you can put whatever into your body without it having a toxic effect then you are being naieve.
    Yes it does bother me when I see people neglecting themselves as it should be a basic priinciple in our lives to maintain our body.
    I'm not talking supermodel looks just some daily upkeep.

Denial of what exactly? :D
    I look younger for my age, little wrinkles, no grey hair, I barely ever drink, don't smoke so no skin damage from that and once again, I am a very petite size 6, so I don't need to kid myself about my weight because I kept the same one for the last 22 years /except for the pregnancy/. I eat normally and low-fat stuff and diets are not welcome in my house or my kitchen /as I love cooking and baking from scratch/. I don't keep my weight or exercise out of vanity, because I am obsessed with how I look, I do it because I like feeling fit and don't compare myself with others.

Your posts come across like image is an obsession...maybe thats just how it reads but it looks like you put a lot more thought into your image than most people and while its admirable to want to be the best you can its a fine line between that and an unhealthy mental attitude.

What happens when you have kids and you are tired and stressed and surviving on little sleep? Do you really think your priority is going to be touching up the grey or wearing mascara?
    I look at my wifes friends,they have kids and manage to pull it all together still looking great and surviving as you put it.
    My best mate has a young son and the guy is in impeccable shape,gets in his cycles every weekend and has great discipline.
    So yes if I ever choose to have kids I will prioritise exercise and good nutrition even higher to combat the lack of sleep and daily stress as will my wife I am inno doubt.
    Having kids is no excuse to let yourself go.

I look at my wifes friends,they have kids and manage to pull it all together still looking great and surviving as you put it.
    My best mate has a young son and the guy is in impeccable shape,gets in his cycles every weekend and has great discipline.
    So yes if I ever choose to have kids I will prioritise exercise and good nutrition even higher to combat the lack of sleep and daily stress as will my wife I am inno doubt.

Never said it was but different people have different priorities. Its not always possible to devote an hour to exercise or the hair salon or whatever.

Not everyone wants to either and so what. Who are you to judge what anyone looks like? You come across as a sad, shallow person too busy comparing yourself against others. Are you really happy in your own skin? Do you think being fitter, better looking, etc than the next person makes you better than them?

It comes across like its a competition for you in some ways to outshine everyone else and thats quite sad really.

No, no, no!!!!! Food is not fuel(it is but.....), food is to be enjoyed, with friends at home or in a restaurant, sitting watching telly with a bag of crisps or a bag of Doritos and dip, food fights(I'm not so old I don't enjoy a good bun fight). I just can't get it into my head why anyone would refer to it as 'just' fuel:(

Chocolate Digestive anybody?:)

Never said it was but different people have different priorities. Its not always possible to devote an hour to exercise or the hair salon or whatever.

Not everyone wants to either and so what. Who are you to judge what anyone looks like? You come across as a sad, shallow person too busy comparing yourself against others. Are you really happy in your own skin? Do you think being fitter, better looking, etc than the next person makes you better than them?

It comes across like its a competition for you in some ways to outshine everyone else and thats quite sad really.
    I judge myself and I set myself goals and limits.
    Food is fuel and yes whilst I enjoy it I recognise it as a necessity and maybe it's the scientist in me but I look on it solely as a means to power my body.
    If it's sad tonwant to keep yourself in tip top shape then I feel for you

Food is fuel and yes whilst I enjoy it I recognise it as a necessity and maybe it's the scientist in me but I look on it solely as a means to power my body.

Well I don't understand it but if it makes you happy then I'm happy for you

Now I'm off to enjoy my toasted sambo and soup and a generous cup of caffine to follow...bliss

Sappa, you sound more like you need to judge yourself by primarily looking at faults in others and also like you are obsessed with your looks. Keeping in tip top shape is nice but it's not everything, people may have other priorities.
    I'm not blind to the fact that people are getting heavy and some women and men let themselves go after they hit a certain age, however, it's not all of them. You seem to be really observant about other people's faults which leads me to the conclusion that you seem to feel the need to reaffirm your subjective superiority by pointing out at other people's mistakes and faults.

haminka wrote: »

Sappa, you sound more like you need to judge yourself by primarily looking at faults in others and also like you are obsessed with your looks. Keeping in tip top shape is nice but it's not everything, people may have other priorities.
    I'm not blind to the fact that people are getting heavy and some women and men let themselves go after they hit a certain age, however, it's not all of them. You seem to be really observant about other people's faults which leads me to the conclusion that you seem to feel the need to reaffirm your subjective superiority by pointing out at other people's mistakes and faults.
    I'll send the cheque later for that consultation haminka,thanks so much for your cosmo psycho analysis.
    You sound like the stereotypical sex and the city gal but inside your just craving that other persons life,you know that friend without the responsibilities who can do as they please without recourse and still manage to look good.

I'll send the cheque later for that consultation haminka,thanks so much for your cosmo psycho analysis.
    You sound like the stereotypical sex and the city gal but inside your just craving that other persons life,you know that friend without the responsibilities who can dinar they please without recourse and still manage to loom good.

wow you got all that from one post :eek: amazing.....

• Advertisement

You sound like the stereotypical sex and the city gal but inside your just craving that other persons life,you know that friend without the responsibilities who can dinar they please without recourse and still manage to loom good.

Believe me, I'm as remote from the sex and the city type of woman as can be /even to the extent that I have never watched it, only know it from the occasional reference in the newspapers :)/. And no, I would never want to go back to the nice and easy careless childless life I had before, even though I had more time for my exercise and going to the cinema but my daughter and my husband are the most important persons in my life. So sadly, you rather missed the point here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement