Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(Women) 10 Round Numbers- how many of these can you run in 2012?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

claralara wrote: »
    Count me in - I ran a 3.12 800m in training last night and would definitely like to push it to get on the table... Competitive much.. :rolleyes:

The 70second 400m is another ball game altogether - I'd say I'd be well into the 80's flat out!

You should easily run under 3 minutes. Aim for sub 2:45 instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭househunter

Name|400m<70 secs|800m<3min|1 mile<6 min|3k<12min|5k<20min|5mile<35min|10k<40m|10miles<70min|Half Marathon<100mins|Marathon<200min
    HelenAnne||||| |||||
    caseyjones1||| |||| |||
    Marthastew||||||||||
    claralara||||||34:47||||
    househunter||||||||||

OK, so I am quite a bit off any of these times but I'm working on getting my 5k times down at the moment. Last 5k was 23:50 XC back in October towards the end of marathon training so hopefully should break 23 mins this Saturday - as I said - a long way off :D
    Am just 4 weeks into a 12 week plan so hopefully by the end of that I might get down to closer to 22 mins
    Some times to aim for in longer term though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Well doen Helenanne for starting this, for me it'll help make the shorter distance running more fun and give it more of a focus.

Seriously, you'd have no problem with running under 3 minutes for it. I'm slow as hell and I ran 3:10 for the first 800 of my mile PB, with a massive headwind down the home straight...

RK you are not slow as hell and you PB every time I race with yousmile.gif thanks though, I will definitely give that one a shot.
    Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Course you can. Nothing wrong with a stopwatch and a track. Timetrials are fine. It's all about getting runners to try a few more distances, rather than just ticking a box.
    RayCun wrote: »
    BHAA have a track evening in Trinity next month, an 800 and a mile. Ideal opportunity to tick off the 800 time.

It's only official race times for the table. If you run a marathon and get a split at halfway, that's fine to use. But you can't just take your Garmin reading, they're not accurate enough.

So official times or timetrials? Timetrials would be great as it might encourage more of us to give it a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Marthastew wrote: »

So official times or timetrials? Timetrials would be great as it might encourage more of us to give it a go.

When all this stuff was chewed over and spat out a couple of years ago, time trials were decreed to be acceptable by the Overbearing Nazi Despot moderator at the time. Since this challenge is all about getting joggers who would normally go Couch->5k->Marathon->Faster Marathon to try a few different events, that might suit them better, there can't be any hassle with anyone stepping on a track to measure their time over anything up to 10k. Certainly time trials for the shorter distances will suit an awful lot here, and its all about having a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Yep, time trials are grand, and handy for the shorter distances as you say.

The only thing that's dodgy, really, is setting your Garmin for 5 miles and going out to run that (or doing a 10 mile race and saying "my Garmin gives me 34.50 for the first 5 miles") One, they're not that accurate. Two, in a real race you'll nearly always run over distance because of dodging around people.

But if you can run a track, or some other properly measured distance, that's grand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Timetrials are fine but I still feel you would get a better result in a race environment. There are plenty of opportunities of shorter races over the summer.

For Club members near dublin check out the graded meets:
    There is a 400m and 1 mile race (womens only) on the 23rd may and a 400m and 800m on June 6th. There are then loads more opportunities over the summer with 4 more meets over the following 6 weeks.

For non Club members, the BHAA have an 800m race in trinity on June 14th and a mile race in santry on september 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭caseyjones1

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Are any of you (my table-mates!) doing specific training for any of the distances? Whne it comes to 10 miles & 1/2 marathon (which I have never raced before) I'll be just planning to finish at my races this summer, but I suppose I could try some 5k training ... are any of you doing speed training sessions?

looking forward to seeing people posting times over the next few months.

I wish there was a 2 mile in the table as I'll be doing the Raheny Lord Mayor Series this summer & they are all 2 miles.

Hi HelenAnne,
    I am doing speed training twice a week at the moment with our club, it changes every five weeks but currently on Tuesdays we do 4x800, 5 min jog, 3x200, 3min jog, 1x600, and on Thursdays we do a pyramid session, 200,400,600,800,1000,800,600,400,200. We are due a change again next week. I'm supposed to try to include a tempo and a long run, but I do kung fu at least once a week so rarely get the four runs in for the week.
    What kind of training are you doing yourself? I can't see myself hitting the half marathon target and I won't do the marathon, but I'm going to try for the shorter stuff, with the exception of the 10k target which way too hard for me I'd say. But in saying that no harm trying eh :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Hi HelenAnne,
    What kind of training are you doing yourself? I can't see myself hitting the half marathon target and I won't do the marathon, but I'm going to try for the shorter stuff, with the exception of the 10k target which way too hard for me I'd say. But in saying that no harm trying eh :D

I'm not doing any real speed training, though I keep meaning to. I run with my Fit for Life group on Wednesdays and that's one of my club's speed training days. Firstly, I don't want to miss Fit 4 Life as I love the social aspect & running with friends and secondly I am a bit afraid of going to speed training as I would be the slowest there! Generally I just try to run 4-5 days a week, with one of them being a LSR, which I am increasing every week or so.

In terms of informal speed training, I try to run shorter distances (5k ish) with my husband as often as he'll have me as he's faster than me, and I usually seem to be signed up to a league of shorter races, so I'm usually running fast every week or two!

I haven't run a 10 mile or 1/2 marathon race yet, but I've signed up for some this summer.

Definitely the targets are great to aim for. I think the 5 mile is one I might do some day, and I'd hope to do the 5k one but probably not this year.

A suggestion with regards the 400 and 800. If you are all based near each other, why dont you all meet up some evening and have a race over both distances. It would push you on to a faster time than merely doing them as a time trial. A sort of women's boards graded meet if you will.

Well have just signed myself up for the 800m at round 1 of the Kildare Track & Field championships so that'll give me my first chance to race that distance. Kind of afraid now. Never raced in a track event before :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

5 pages in this thread, and only one time posted up!!! Less talking and more racing please :P

I'm doing plenty of racing (last Sunday, next Tuesday, Sunday week ...) just not hitting the times yet! Patience, patience!

Got the sub 35 for the 5 mile today at the RTE Bhaa Race, 34.20. Gonna see can I stick it on the table now.

Name|400m<70 secs|800m<3min|1 mile<6 min|3k<12min|5k<20min|5mile<35min|10k<40m|10miles<70min|Half Marathon<100mins|Marathon<200min
    HelenAnne||||| |||||
    caseyjones1||| |||34:20| |||
    Marthastew||||||||||
    claralara||||||34:47||||
    househunter||||||||||

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

HelenAnne||||| |||||
    Marthastew||||||||||
    claralara|||||19:54|34:47||||
    househunter||||||||||

Hopefully that worked... Logged in on the old smart phone when I'm a PC girl at heart ;)

Got my sub 20 5k in the Le Cheile 5k yesterday. It was a great race. Left it all in the last 500m and wanted to vomit crossing the finish line... But can't help thinking I left it a bit late to really crack on. Oh the mind plays funny games!

Heading away for a few days now so will look after a race report when I'm back. :)

Congrats on the 5mile Caseyjones!

Congratulations, Claralara & Caseyjones! I'm doing the Docklands 5k soon enough, so I'll continue trying to inch towards 20!

Any of you gals racing this weekend? I'm hoping to get a time up on the table from the Kildare HM on Sunday.

My current PB is hanging around 1:53, from the final third of the Connemara Ultra in April.

So really it's a big ask, but no harm I'm giving it a lash...!

I'm racing my first 800m this weekend. No idea what time I would do it in but if I pay attention to McMillan I should get in under 3 mins based on last weekends 5k :)

Any of you gals racing this weekend? I'm hoping to get a time up on the table from the Kildare HM on Sunday.

My current PB is hanging around 1:53, from the final third of the Connemara Ultra in April.

I'm doing the HM, but it's my first one, so I've no idea what to expect. I'm going to be very conservative as my main aim is not to collapse half way through and have to be rescued by St John's Ambulance. If I do under 2 hours I'll be very pleased.

I'm still no nearer to putting a time in the table, but I got my 2 mile PB down from 13.52 to 13.44 in the Clonliffe 2 Mile this week, so at least my times are going in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ladytri

Good luck with the races this weekend ladies, it's great to see some wicked times going into that table!

• Advertisement

With a bit of luck I'm hoping to make my entrance onto the table this Sunday, Kildare Half for me also. My half PB of 98.37 is from Clontarf last year, I'll happily take 97.XX, fingers crossed:D

I reckon you'll shave at least 20 Minutes off that time...
    Looking forward to seeing you on Sunday.... as you race ahead in the distance, what does the back of your running singlet look like so I know who to try and chase??:)
    I'm racing my first 800m this weekend. No idea what time I would do it in but if I pay attention to McMillan I should get in under 3 mins based on last weekends 5k :)

Very, very best of luck with the 800, you'll have to let us know what the strategy is for an 800, I'm assuming it's just run as fast as you can, but maybe you'll discover a strategy
    HelenAnne wrote: »
    I'm doing the HM, but it's my first one, so I've no idea what to expect. I'm going to be very conservative as my main aim is not to collapse half way through and have to be rescued by St John's Ambulance. If I do under 2 hours I'll be very pleased.

I'm still no nearer to putting a time in the table, but I got my 2 mile PB down from 13.52 to 13.44 in the Clonliffe 2 Mile this week, so at least my times are going in the right direction.

Congratulations on the PB! Are you also doing Kildare? Best of luck for your first half and conservative is a great plan, you'll really enjoy it. Looks like we just might be lucky with the weather, see you there

Very, very best of luck with the 800, you'll have to let us know what the strategy is for an 800, I'm assuming it's just run as fast as you can, but maybe you'll discover a strategy
    Well let's just say, I learnt how NOT to run an 800m race
    Went out too fast and realised that pretty quickly when I saw I was behind the lead group of 19 year olds :) (it was a mixed seniors/masters/inter race)
    Found the 2nd lap tough as a result and only finished in a time of around 3:10 and I think second last. It was a lot of fun doing the track races though and I would do it again (also ended up running the 100m!!).

Went out too fast and realised that pretty quickly when I saw I was behind the lead group of 19 year olds :) (it was a mixed seniors/masters/inter race)
    Found the 2nd lap tough as a result and only finished in a time of around 3:10 and I think second last. It was a lot of fun doing the track races though and I would do it again (also ended up running the 100m!!).

Good on ya. You'll learn from your bad mistakes. 800 is an unforgiving event. How did you get on in the 100?

Think I came 2nd last in that too :o I am definitely not a sprinter! Came 2nd in my category. I think everyone got a medal as there were so many categories :) I got a 3rd place in category in the 800m too, haha
    Still though, i thoroughly enjoyed the day

Thanks girls, I really enjoyed the RTE 5 mile, it was a nice course with no real hills.
    Well done Claralara on the 5k, I really need to apply myself to that one, I'm aiming for the Bohermeen 5k in June, I was meant to be away but had to pull out of something else so might as well do it.
    I'm gonna take a break from the races for a week or two, just back from New York and I did a hilly and hot 10k over there but think I've strained my calf slightly so need to mind that.
    Marthastew how did you get on in the half?
    Househunter, very bad luck with the 800 but as someone else said I think it is a hard one to call, better luck next time.

Well done on trying it, it takes real guts to try something new and to venture into the unknown. It sounds like you really enjoyed it which is the most important thing. I'd say it won't be long before you'll be filling in that 800 spot:)
    Thanks girls, I really enjoyed the RTE 5 mile, it was a nice course with no real hills.
    Well done Claralara on the 5k, I really need to apply myself to that one, I'm aiming for the Bohermeen 5k in June, I was meant to be away but had to pull out of something else so might as well do it.
    I'm gonna take a break from the races for a week or two, just back from New York and I did a hilly and hot 10k over there but think I've strained my calf slightly so need to mind that.
    Marthastew how did you get on in the half?
    Househunter, very bad luck with the 800 but as someone else said I think it is a hard one to call, better luck next time.
    Best of luck with your traning for the 5K, that is one I would really love to achieve. I'd love to give it a proper shot with a strong 5K training plan after my Autumn marathons, so make sure to pop on here with your tips.
    I was very lucky in Kildare, the wind was tough in parts but was at our backs for the last couple of miles, a PB of 1.35.50 for me:)

HelenAnne||||| |||||
    Marthastew|||||||||95.50|
    claralara|||||19:54|34:47||||
    househunter||||||||||After my false start with out of date results I'm finally here:), only 9 more to go now....

HelenAnne||||| |||||
    claralara|||||19:57|34:47|||93:35|
    househunter||||||||||

Just realised I've been lying to y'all for a week. My 5k time is actually not 19:54… it's 19:57. Apologies for the typo!!

Delighted with my HM time from Kildare yesterday. I really wanted it but didn't really expect to get it! :)

Berlin marathon training starts today. It'll most likely be only chance to fill out the marathon section of the table, but there's a lot depending on that! We shall see in a few months. In the meantime, I'll keep my eye on the table and any races and see what I can do.

HelenAnne||||| |||||
    claralara|||||19:57|34:47|||93:35|
    househunter||||||||||

Just realised I've been lying to y'all for a week. My 5k time is actually not 19:54… it's 19:57. Apologies for the typo!!

Delighted with my HM time from Kildare yesterday. I really wanted it but didn't really expect to get it! :)

Berlin marathon training starts today. It'll most likely be only chance to fill out the marathon section of the table, but there's a lot depending on that! We shall see in a few months. In the meantime, I'll keep my eye on the table and any races and see what I can do.

Super times both Marthastew and Claralara, hats off to ye girls.

• Advertisement

Well done, Clara Lara & MarthaStew! Fantastic times, the table is really filling up. I really enjoyed the half yesterday too, I was nowhere near the table time (1:52:43) but I'm delighted with how it went. It didn't feel too long, I loved the course, didn't mind the wind, and didn't feel like stopping at any point. So for a first half I'm pretty pleased.

well done again to everyone hitting the numbers, and to Househunter for trying the sprints -- I've never done anything like that!

Advertisement