Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(Women) 10 Round Numbers- how many of these can you run in 2012?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Name|400m<70 secs|800m<3min|1 mile<6 min|3k<12min|5k<20min|5mile<35min|10k<40m|10miles<70min|Half Marathon<100mins|Marathon<200min

HelenAnne||||| |||||
    caseyjones1||| |||| |||
    Marthastew|||||||||98:37|

You have to run the time this year.
    Every Jan 1st the slate is wiped clean, and you have to prove yourself all over again...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

RayCun wrote: »
    Name|400m<70 secs|800m<3min|1 mile<6 min|3k<12min|5k<20min|5mile<35min|10k<40m|10miles<70min|Half Marathon<100mins|Marathon<200min

HelenAnne||||| |||||
    caseyjones1||| |||| |||
    Marthastew||||||||||
    You have to run the time this year.
    Every Jan 1st the slate is wiped clean, and you have to prove yourself all over again...
    Oops....well then I have a completely empty slate.....
    It was fun while it lasted:)...
    Off out for a run to console myslef now.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

HelenAnne||||| |||||
    caseyjones1||| |||| |||
    Marthastew||||||||||
    claralara||||||34:47||||

Awesome!! Attempting sub 20 for 5k this Saturday, and sub 1:40 for HM the following weekend. Not sure how successful I'll be but this might give me a kick up the bum...:D

claralara wrote: »
    Awesome!! Attempting sub 20 for 5k this Saturday, and sub 1:40 for HM the following weekend. Not sure how successful I'll be but this might give me a kick up the bum...:D

I think we may need to move you over to the "(Men) 10 round numbers..." to give the rest of us a chance on this chart:D:D:D. If you weren't such a gorgeous super-model I'd be wondering......

Best of luck this Saturday (you'll easliy break 20:)) and we'll see you in the distance in Kildare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Well I wont be on this table any time soon , or ever. :(
    But good idea. Perhaps I could set an equivalent table for my standard( or lack thereof) and age

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭caseyjones1

Well I wont be on this table any time soon , or ever. :(
    But good idea. Perhaps I could set an equivalent table for my standard( or lack thereof) and age

To be honest I'm hopeful for the sub 35 five mile but not sure I'll get any of the others but sure I'll give it a go. What age are you? Is that question allowed? I'm 35.

Nearly 47. late starter and had long time out with recent injury. But chomping at the bit to get back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Give it a go, hot to trot! I really don't think I'll make any this year. I did 48.35 in the samsung 10k the other night, WAY slower than the 40 min target BUT I did 58 mins in my 2nd ever 10k in May 2011, so I'm improving all the time.

The only one I think I could MAYBE do this year is the sub-35 5 mile, but in the next year or so I'd like to try for the sub 20 5k and so on.

I really just have my name in the table to show willing, but also it gives me targets to aim for. Join us!!

(I'm nearly 37, running a bit since 2010, running more regularly and with a running group since Feb 2011)

If we had tables for all the standards and age groups on boards... we would have a lot of tables. If you want to set yourself some different targets that's fine, but I don't want 'M40' threads and 'W50' threads, and 'beginners' threads and 'experts' threads, and so on... The other table has times that an average (or good) male club runner should be able to run (or aspire to). This table has times that a female club runner should target. Two is enough.

There is a Best of 2012 thread that everyone can post in (and more people should). There are no qualifying standards for posting a time there, and everyone gets to enter their category. When you run a time you're pleased with, post it up there. Give other people a time to try and beat, and pick targets for yourself from the times already there...

• Advertisement

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Give it a go, hot to trot! I really don't think I'll make any this year. I did 48.35 in the samsung 10k the other night, WAY slower than the 40 min target BUT I did 58 mins in my 2nd ever 10k in May 2011, so I'm improving all the time.

Well will try to get something written down but wont humiliate myself by putting name down on a table LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

If we had tables for all the standards and age groups on boards... we would have a lot of tables. If you want to set yourself some different targets that's fine, but I don't want 'M40' threads and 'W50' threads, and 'beginners' threads and 'experts' threads, and so on... The other table has times that an average (or good) male club runner should be able to run (or aspire to). This table has times that a female club runner should target. Two is enough.

There is a Best of 2012 thread that everyone can post in (and more people should). There are no qualifying standards for posting a time there, and everyone gets to enter their category. When you run a time you're pleased with, post it up there. Give other people a time to try and beat, and pick targets for yourself from the times already there...

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,505 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

but I don't want 'M40' threads and 'W50' threads, and 'beginners' threads and 'experts' threads, and so on...
    Surely what 'you' want is not very relevant? I thought we were all about the 'we'. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

but I don't want 'M40' threads and 'W50' threads, and 'beginners' threads and 'experts' threads, and so on...
    Surely what 'you' want is not very relevant? I thought we were all about the 'we'. ;)

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Good to see this challenge taking off. Anyone have any aspirations of doing the shorter distance events, the 400 and 800?

The 400 time is challenging, but I think everyone here should be able to knock off that 800 time.

04072511 wrote: »
    Good to see this challenge taking off. Anyone have any aspirations of doing the shorter distance events, the 400 and 800?

The 400 time is challenging, but I think everyone here should be able to knock off that 800 time.

Presumabaly these have to be run in a race, you can't just head down to a track on your own with your Garmin and then pop your time in after?

I'd definitely give the 800 a shot, but that's only because you keep saying it should be easy:)

BHAA have a track evening in Trinity next month, an 800 and a mile. Ideal opportunity to tick off the 800 time.

It's only official race times for the table. If you run a marathon and get a split at halfway, that's fine to use. But you can't just take your Garmin reading, they're not accurate enough.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Marthastew wrote: »
    I'd definitely give the 800 a shot, but that's only because you keep saying it should be easy:)

Seriously, you'd have no problem with running under 3 minutes for it. I'm slow as hell and I ran 3:10 for the first 800 of my mile PB, with a massive headwind down the home straight...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Marthastew wrote: »
    Presumabaly these have to be run in a race, you can't just head down to a track on your own with your Garmin and then pop your time in after?

Course you can. Nothing wrong with a stopwatch and a track. Timetrials are fine. It's all about getting runners to try a few more distances, rather than just ticking a box.

Ray I said I should do table for myself , Didnt suggest I would put it up here. Relax man :cool:

• Advertisement

Count me in - I ran a 3.12 800m in training last night and would definitely like to push it to get on the table... Competitive much.. :rolleyes:

The 70second 400m is another ball game altogether - I'd say I'd be well into the 80's flat out!

I dont see anything wrong with using a stop watch to time your 400 or 800 run on a proper 400m track. Just be honest with yourself and be wary of dodgey hand times. For 800 it's fine, but for 400m if you run a hand time which is timed by a knowledgeable qualified timekeeper (i.e. a proper race) then you add 0.14 onto your time. If it's your mate who is doing it, without any real notion of what he/she is doing, then I'd add 0.4 to be safe.

It's fine on a track, where you know 400m really is 400m.
    But over 5k, for example, your Garmin will be wrong.

It's fine on a track, where you know 400m really is 400m.
    But over 5k, for example, your Garmin will be wrong.

A 5k on a track is fine also... that is if you want to mentally torture yourself like that!!

Make sure you have somebody counting your laps though as you will lose count!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

A 5k on a track is fine also... that is if you want to mentally torture yourself like that!!

Make sure you have somebody counting your laps though as you will lose count!

Total torture, I ran 19'52 a few weeks back on the track and I hated every single lap of it, I even wished some laps away but the guy with me was counting correctly :D

Woddle wrote: »
    Total torture, I ran 19'52 a few weeks back on the track and I hated every single lap of it, I even wished some laps away but the guy with me was counting correctly :D

Why would you do that to yourself? :eek:

Why would you do that to yourself? :eek:

I'd never run 5k on the track before so didn't know what I was letting myself in for :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Are any of you (my table-mates!) doing specific training for any of the distances? Whne it comes to 10 miles & 1/2 marathon (which I have never raced before) I'll be just planning to finish at my races this summer, but I suppose I could try some 5k training ... are any of you doing speed training sessions?

looking forward to seeing people posting times over the next few months.

I wish there was a 2 mile in the table as I'll be doing the Raheny Lord Mayor Series this summer & they are all 2 miles.

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Are any of you (my table-mates!) doing specific training for any of the distances? Whne it comes to 10 miles & 1/2 marathon (which I have never raced before) I'll be just planning to finish at my races this summer, but I suppose I could try some 5k training ... are any of you doing speed training sessions?

looking forward to seeing people posting times over the next few months.

I wish there was a 2 mile in the table as I'll be doing the Raheny Lord Mayor Series this summer & they are all 2 miles.

You could check this out, it'll get you in great shape from 5k up to 10 mile races and you can start building up towards it by doing 3x1 mile, then next week 4x 1 mile until you feel ready to start it. Dunshaughlin 10k on the 23rd of June would be a good target for this program.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71559735&postcount=1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

claralara wrote: »
    Count me in - I ran a 3.12 800m in training last night and would definitely like to push it to get on the table... Competitive much.. :rolleyes:

That would have been much quicker if you didn't have to play hopskotch with puddles and potholes and just a single 800m rather than 4 x 800m and 4 x 600m ;)

Advertisement