Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tennessee Titans Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Michael Oher signed to 4 years 20 million and he'll spend 2014 on the bench?

Oh dear. Good depth I suppose

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Yeah seems odd mike, I think it's obvious that the first 10 picks didnt go as planned and the titans went bpa after the supposed trade with the browns fell through.

There seems to be a view that they will trade roos, I would not like that at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

I hope we can trade back and pick up a third, I know I keep on saying it but it would make my night if it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Heffo001

I hope we can trade back and pick up a third, I know I keep on saying it but it would make my night if it happens.

I'm the same. Unless there's a defensive player they are really high on I hope they really try to trade back. I think there's too much depth at RB to take one at this stage imo and I'm not sure I'd take any QB other than Carr who I reckon will be gone.

Heffo001 wrote: »
    I'm the same. Unless there's a defensive player they are really high on I hope they really try to trade back. I think there's too much depth at RB to take one at this stage imo and I'm not sure I'd take any QB other than Carr who I reckon will be gone.

Yessss we're trading back!!!!!!!!!!!!

Logan thomas in the 4th and I'll be delighted!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Yessss we're trading back!!!!!!!!!!!!

Logan thomas in the 4th and I'll be delighted!!!!!!

Wait to see what we get first. Probably compiling picks for next year :pac:

only a 4th.................... **** trade :mad:

4th rounder. Not the 3rd I'd hoped for, gives us ammo to move into the 3rd if there's someone the staff really like though. I'm thinking RB or QB. Personally I'd love Tuitt or Nix if they were still there.

only a 4th.................... **** trade :mad:

Position was possibly weakened due to the other trades that had just happened. Less trading partners. Rams only got a 5th to move back 4 or 5 places.

Position was possibly weakened due to the other trades that had just happened. Less trading partners. Rams only got a 5th to move back 4 or 5 places.

12 places is a lot to drop back to only gain a 4th.

• Advertisement

12 places is a lot to drop back to only gain a 4th.

It's not fantastic, but I'd prefer the trade and the extra pick than staying at 40 and picking someone. I think if they're targeting QB or RB they might still have their pick of the players currently available.

we needed running back but I would have preferred a different HB, I suppose have to trust whiz here.

we needed running back but I would have preferred a different HB, I suppose have to trust whiz here.

Who would you have gone for? I liked Storm Johnson in the 4th or 5th, has ball security issues though. I think Sankey could be a good compliment to Green and Battle.

Who would you have gone for? I liked Storm Johnson in the 4th or 5th, has ball security issues though. I think Sankey could be a good compliment to Green and Battle.

Hill or Hyde!

or if u want the scat back go for archer.

Hill or Hyde!

I would've like Hill. But like I said earlier, with Webster being someone who steers away from guys with questionable character I didn't see it happening.

I not completely sold on Hyde, probably just my dislike of Ohio State though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Don't know much about this guy but will take a look at his tape..

Thought we might have got a better pick but agree all of the trading left us in a weakened position

I think we've had a solid draft considering our lack of picks but, I don't think we are a better team than last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Don't know much about this guy but will take a look at his tape..

Thought we might have got a better pick but agree all of the trading left us in a weakened position

Sankey is superb, best RB this year. He has all round ability as a runner, protector, pass catcher. No reason why he can't be really helpful to Locker

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Sankey is superb, best RB this year. He has all round ability as a runner, protector, pass catcher. No reason why he can't be really helpful to Locker

Agree with that after watching him this morning. I watched a load of RB tape yesterday thinking that was the direction we might go in. Of course one of the only players I didn't get around to watch was Sankey. After watching about 10 of his games this morning he has the most impressive tape of any of them imo.

Runs tough for his size, good vision, good receiving ability and cuts really, really well.

• Advertisement

I think we got the worst of the 'draftable' qbs. I don't hate the dt and ilb we took which is something I suppose. Should have taken logan....

I think we got the worst of the 'draftable' qbs. I don't hate the dt and ilb we took which is something I suppose. Should have taken logan....

I don't mind Mettenberger, I'm happy enough taking him there. I didn't really have a preference between Savage, Mettenberger or Thomas who I think are all physically gifted QBs but need quite a bit of work. Then you've got a McCarron or Murray who I think could be good back-ups or stop-gaps but probably don't have the upside of the previous three.

I really like the Jones pick-up, don't know any of the other guys so I have no opinion on them at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

I don't mind Mettenberger, I'm happy enough taking him there. I didn't really have a preference between Savage, Mettenberger or Thomas who I think are all physically gifted QBs but need quite a bit of work. Then you've got a McCarron or Murray who I think could be good back-ups or stop-gaps but probably don't have the upside of the previous three.

I really like the Jones pick-up, don't know any of the other guys so I have no opinion on them at the moment.

If it had not been for the failed drugs test at the combine Mettenberger would probably have gone in the 2nd round so it's good value. He is also a bit more polished than Logan Thomas & the upside with both is pretty similar.

HigginsJ wrote: »
    If it had not been for the failed drugs test at the combine Mettenberger would probably have gone in the 2nd round so it's good value. He is also a bit more polished than Logan Thomas & the upside with both is pretty similar.

And mettenberg had 2 serious injuries. Back and acl.

Gonna give my thoughts on the titans draft and each individual pick when I get on my pc.

1.11 (11) Taylor Lewan, OT:

In isolation I really like this pick, We got the 3rd best OT quite a bit lower than he was expected to be taken.
    I understand that the Titans thought they had a trade partner with the browns to drop back to 22 where they intended to take Carr. I think that would have been a better outcome but even though it didn't work out I'm happy they tried, it gives me confidence the front office were approaching the draft in the right way and taking Lewan was the back up plan.
    However, I worry now that we are going to have too much money tied up in our Offensive Line. That being said considering we couldn't trade out of 11, I think other than Mosley, there was no one else I was comfortable taking at 11 considering the premier pass rushers had already been taken and although a deep class at CB, I don't think any including Gilbert are worth the 11th pick.

2.22 (54) Bishop Sankey, HB

When this pick initially happened I was far to reactionary in claiming my distaste. I was annoyed about the terrible value we got in trading back and didn't look at this pick clearly enough. Contrary to what I said earlier, we took the most suitable HB for us. Now I still don't believe like some that he is the best HB in this draft, but I do think considering who we already have on our roster, and considering Whiz is going to want a HB that can block and catch, Sankey is the right choice with this pick.
    With Carr off the board the Titans were right to trade back and take whatever they could get. Sankey is very good pick, he is going to be a 3 down back, will be great on screens and catching out of the backfield. He plays tough and will be a threat both between the tackles and to the outside. I really do like this pick.

4.12 (112) Da'Quan Jones, DT

This very well might be our best pick in the draft. We got second round talent in the 4th round. Now I don't know why he dropped so far, but I'm happy he did.
    From what I hear, we will be playing both 3-4 and 4-3, Jones can play in both schemes which gives us flexibility with whatever scheme we want to play at any given time. Jones and Casey together is a very exciting prospect!

4.22 (122) Marqueston Huff, DB

This is not a particularly good pick, he won't start but he'll be a good back up to both our safeties and corners. Can play numerous positions, better at corner but a good safety all the same. Technically not great but makes up for it with his physicality and speed.
    This is the pick that should have been used with our 7th to move up and take Logan, for that I'm disappointed with how this pick turned out.

5.11 (151) Avery Williamson, ILB

This is a position of need for us that I was hoping would have been addressed much earlier. Williamson is a 5th round talent, so there is a reason he was taken now and not before. He is very poor in coverage, has no versatility, he can not play the outside, and is not good enough to play ILB in a 4-3. Now, with that being said, he is a very very good tackler and will excel with the run-stopping roll as 3-4 ILB. He may be a one trick pony but that trick is very good! He is also a good leader, great football intelligence and is capable of calling the adjustments for the titans if he gets on the field.

6.2 (178) Zach Mettenberger, QB

I wish he was as good a QB as he was at sexually assaulting young women.

I don't like this pick, but it's a 6th rounder so if he fails, which he will, it doesn't matter.

Mettenberger is a better QB than Logan, but with less upside. His arm isn't as good but he is a more polished QB in other areas.
    I suppose it's not his talent, that puts me off Mettenberger, he has got a lot of talent, but he's a low character guy, not the first player to be drafted who's been convicted of a crime, but "sexual battery" is a quite a bit worse than drugs or fighting in my opinion. On top of that, he has had two serious injuries in college, so his health is also in question.
    With all that being said, if I was to ignore everything else, and just look at talent this would be a good pick. He has a good arm, can make all the throws but has a slow release and his footwork is not great.

I think we've had a good draft, I think it makes us a slightly better team, but we have lost a lot of cornerstone players in FA, so it was always going to be hard to improve.

I think we've found starters in the late rounds and added some depth.

Sankey, and whoever start's at QB have no excuses. we should have a phenomenal Offensive line that should be making lanes for Sankey and giving our QB a lot of time in the pocket.

I think we've had a B- draft.

1.11 (11) Taylor Lewan, OT:

In isolation I really like this pick, We got the 3rd best OT quite a bit lower than he was expected to be taken.
    I understand that the Titans thought they had a trade partner with the browns to drop back to 22 where they intended to take Carr. I think that would have been a better outcome but even though it didn't work out I'm happy they tried, it gives me confidence the front office were approaching the draft in the right way and taking Lewan was the back up plan.
    However, I worry now that we are going to have too much money tied up in our Offensive Line. That being said considering we couldn't trade out of 11, I think other than Mosley, there was no one else I was comfortable taking at 11 considering the premier pass rushers had already been taken and although a deep class at CB, I don't think any including Gilbert are worth the 11th pick.

2.22 (54) Bishop Sankey, HB

When this pick initially happened I was far to reactionary in claiming my distaste. I was annoyed about the terrible value we got in trading back and didn't look at this pick clearly enough. Contrary to what I said earlier, we took the most suitable HB for us. Now I still don't believe like some that he is the best HB in this draft, but I do think considering who we already have on our roster, and considering Whiz is going to want a HB that can block and catch, Sankey is the right choice with this pick.
    With Carr off the board the Titans were right to trade back and take whatever they could get. Sankey is very good pick, he is going to be a 3 down back, will be great on screens and catching out of the backfield. He plays tough and will be a threat both between the tackles and to the outside. I really do like this pick.

4.12 (112) Da'Quan Jones, DT

This very well might be our best pick in the draft. We got second round talent in the 4th round. Now I don't know why he dropped so far, but I'm happy he did.
    From what I hear, we will be playing both 3-4 and 4-3, Jones can play in both schemes which gives us flexibility with whatever scheme we want to play at any given time. Jones and Casey together is a very exciting prospect!

4.22 (122) Marqueston Huff, DB

This is not a particularly good pick, he won't start but he'll be a good back up to both our safeties and corners. Can play numerous positions, better at corner but a good safety all the same. Technically not great but makes up for it with his physicality and speed.
    This is the pick that should have been used with our 7th to move up and take Logan, for that I'm disappointed with how this pick turned out.

5.11 (151) Avery Williamson, ILB

This is a position of need for us that I was hoping would have been addressed much earlier. Williamson is a 5th round talent, so there is a reason he was taken now and not before. He is very poor in coverage, has no versatility, he can not play the outside, and is not good enough to play ILB in a 4-3. Now, with that being said, he is a very very good tackler and will excel with the run-stopping roll as 3-4 ILB. He may be a one trick pony but that trick is very good! He is also a good leader, great football intelligence and is capable of calling the adjustments for the titans if he gets on the field.

6.2 (178) Zach Mettenberger, QB

I wish he was as good a QB as he was at sexually assaulting young women.

I don't like this pick, but it's a 6th rounder so if he fails, which he will, it doesn't matter.

Mettenberger is a better QB than Logan, but with less upside. His arm isn't as good but he is a more polished QB in other areas.
    I suppose it's not his talent, that puts me off Mettenberger, he has got a lot of talent, but he's a low character guy, not the first player to be drafted who's been convicted of a crime, but "sexual battery" is a quite a bit worse than drugs or fighting in my opinion. On top of that, he has had two serious injuries in college, so his health is also in question.
    With all that being said, if I was to ignore everything else, and just look at talent this would be a good pick. He has a good arm, can make all the throws but has a slow release and his footwork is not great.

I think we've had a good draft, I think it makes us a slightly better team, but we have lost a lot of cornerstone players in FA, so it was always going to be hard to improve.

I think we've found starters in the late rounds and added some depth.

Sankey, and whoever start's at QB have no excuses. we should have a phenomenal Offensive line that should be making lanes for Sankey and giving our QB a lot of time in the pocket.

I think we've had a B- draft.

My opinion on each pick is similar enough, although I think I'm a bit happier with Mettenberger than you. I understand the concerns in regards to the Sexual Battery, but while getting ridiculously drunk and feeling up a girl in a bar was an incredibly stupid thing to do, he was 18 or 19 at the time so hopefully he's learnt from it.

I have a really good feeling about Sankey and Jones. I wasn't particularly impressed by Huff or Williamson from what I saw of them, but we've done very well in the recent past taking CB's late on, so hopefully Huff can continue that tradition.

I think we did ok with UDFAs as well. I found tape for a few of them and Josh Stewart from Oklahoma State strikes me as someone who suffered because of the WR depth this year. Made some great catches in the games I saw, can make people miss after the catch and returned punts. I think his lack of top-end speed might make it difficult for him to create separation in the NFL, but he could be a good back-up for Wright.

Gabe Ikard the centre is someone who I remember playing quite well against Louis Nix and he supposedly played well against Alabama in the bowl game last year as well. I've seen him rated as the 5th or 6th centre a couple of places.

James Gayle from VT had a decent college career and put up good numbers at the combine for his size. Should at least be someone to develop as a Pass rusher.

Although early days, Kiper gave us a C+ draft. Have to say probably a fair assessment

Quinn Johnson FB released, not surprising was on a salary only deal as mooney was injured last season and Mooney is the FB they want.

Lewan had his court date pushed back to June sometime, hopefully it doesnt prove much of a distraction during camp.

As Locker is injured Mett has been taking a lot of reps and his arm strength is showing it seems, he has said his knee is a bit sore but nothing too bad..

It's so frustrating to hate a QB so much and have your team draft him.

• Advertisement

the mett has signed his deal..

Advertisement