Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I Love AJ Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I don't get why you seem to think the Diva's title means nothing. It is the top prize for women wrestlers in North America. AJ isn't embarrassed to be a wrestler like you seem to think she will be in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

She got a tattoo of something she is proud of. No matter how long a multi quoted diatribe you write you cannot say she did the wrong thing. She is proud of her achievement so she marked it in a way she felt fitting.

Unless we are getting into the rights and wrongs of tattoos?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I get and can appreciate all the points MNG/Meltzer/whomever are making but what else are female wrestling fans/wrestlers supposed to aspire to? The WWE is the biggest wrestling company on earth and the one most would have grown up watching. No matter how they treated the belt or champions in the past it is still the highest accolade female wrestlers can usually achieve and in the instance of AJ it can be seen as the culmination of not only her run/push in big angles etc but also her dream as a young wrestling fan. Even if she might get "cast aside" down the line she has still lived her dream.

The tattoo thing is a side issue imo as different people have differing opinions on tattoos, I personally don't think I would ever 'permanently taint my flesh' as it's been put but other people don't consider it such a big deal and in terms of what I can understand someone tattooing on their bodies, the date they achieved their goal (whether we agree that they could have had a "better" goal or not) is about as valid as you can get imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭LOTD

I can't believe all this talk about a tattoo, it's not inked on her forehead, it's on her neck no big deal. She wanted to mark a date that means something to her. It's great to see her so over and bring some life into the division.

As far as the Meltzer thing about her marking out over a fake title.He has made a nice living out of a fake sport and its fake titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,558 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

gnfrhead wrote:
    I don't get why you seem to think the Diva's title means nothing. It is the top prize for women wrestlers in North America. AJ isn't embarrassed to be a wrestler like you seem to think she will be in future.

Because the Divas Title was a second-rate women's belt that reflects a move away from treating women's wrestling with respect, and a move towards hiring pretty faces and turning them into moderately decent workers.

I admire the fact that she wants to be viewed as a wrestler first and foremost but marking her body with the date of the day she got given their token belt doesn't advance the cause of women's wrestling one bit. The fact it is the top prize in women's wrestling is an indictment of how WWE treats women's wrestling.
    gimmick wrote: »
    She got a tattoo of something she is proud of. No matter how long a multi quoted diatribe you write you cannot say she did the wrong thing. She is proud of her achievement so she marked it in a way she felt fitting.

Unless we are getting into the rights and wrongs of tattoos?

I'm not sure how you figure I can't say she did the wrong thing? Did the points I made before not have merit? Do you dispute that the company whose decision she has commemorated has a very poor history of treating its female employees? If not, then how can you say she has made a good decision? Just because she thinks so?
    I get and can appreciate all the points MNG/Meltzer/whomever are making but what else are female wrestling fans/wrestlers supposed to aspire to? The WWE is the biggest wrestling company on earth and the one most would have grown up watching. No matter how they treated the belt or champions in the past it is still the highest accolade female wrestlers can usually achieve and in the instance of AJ it can be seen as the culmination of not only her run/push in big angles etc but also her dream as a young wrestling fan. Even if she might get "cast aside" down the line she has still lived her dream.

The tattoo thing is a side issue imo as different people have differing opinions on tattoos, I personally don't think I would ever 'permanently taint my flesh' as it's been put but other people don't consider it such a big deal and in terms of what I can understand someone tattooing on their bodies, the date they achieved their goal (whether we agree that they could have had a "better" goal or not) is about as valid as you can get imo.

I think the tattoo is the whole issue here.

Let me stress, for me anyway, it's not about tattoos in general, but rather a tattoo commemorating a decision by a company with a very dodgy record of respecting employees.

I think most of us would accept that the WWE has not treated past female employees with a great deal of respect. So why honour them?

I get she feels she has lived her dream. That's great. Hang the title on the wall then as Rock, Batista, and others have done. But don't permanently ink your body when there's every chance a year from now Paige, or Summer, or even Maria Menounos will be Divas Champion and you could be wished well in future endeavours.

As I'm in danger of going round and round in circles with my multi-quoted diatribe I will shut up about it. I just want to clarify my problem with it is that I think she has made a very foolish mistake by honouring a company with a poor record of treating its workers, who decided to give her a belt they don't themselves think much of.

I'm not arguing she shouldn't have a dream.

I'm not arguing she shouldn't feel satisfied at becoming the top woman for the time being.

I'm not arguing against people getting tattoos.

I'm just saying she should not in my view have honoured a company in this permanent way which, in the past, has given women the spotlight one minute, and which has very quickly pulled it away just as quick the next.

I hope AJ in the long run winds up content with her decision to get the tattoo, and maybe she will. But it is said that the best predictor for future behaviour is past behaviour, and that tells me at some point an acrimonious split with the WWE is quite likely. And if it happens, a permanent reminder of a time when Vince and co. were all smiles and so happy with her...might not seem such a fond memory in the long run.

• Advertisement

Well let's hope she doesn't become a multi time champ so. I mean she could get it removed if she doesn't like in years to come. You seem to project a rapid downward spiral for AJ's career in WWE. You mention other Divas having the belt in the future, I'm pretty sure Aj was aware she wasn't going to hold the title forever, when management decide to put the title on her.

WWE has employed god knows how many people in its history, there's bound to be conflict at some point or another between management and talent. WWE has gotten a lot better at treating its current roster and people who use to work for them.

One last point, I think the tattoo represents the journey from homeless to the moment she reached the pinnacle of her profession. If or whenever Aj is handed her p45, I think she will still cherish the moment she won the title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

gnfnrhead wrote: »

I genuinely rate the Knockouts title ahead of it, always think the Diva's title now just looks like it was designed to be a tacky accessory.

I think the belt design is tacky, but can you really say the knockouts title is ahead of it. TNA is nowhere near the WWE in terms of history and prestige. I guess you could argue about the talent within the two companies.

LOTD wrote: »
    I think the belt design is tacky, but can you really say the knockouts title is ahead of it. TNA is nowhere near the WWE in terms of history and prestige. I guess you could argue about the talent within the two companies.

The Divas title itself doesn't have much prestige and the years of 2-3 minute matches which 70% of the time were garbage have done little to add prestige. Her matches have been good but its not like the belt is a huge deal in wwe now, if Kaitlyn had won it she wouldn't be getting promo time or anything resembling a deep storyline.

Fair point, I guess the bigger platform the WWE gets to work with. The talent itself is not that great in the division, not the same as it was say ten years ago. I think all these Diva searches really became the problem, a lot of them not actual fans. The division has suffered since.

Just want to add, agree with bounty hunter it's the biggest achievement a female wrestler can get, you can't the diminish the accolade itself. At least WWE are trying to do something with the division. Whatever you think about Total Divas, it gives them a platform. The Talent is raw and a bit green, but they can only get better with experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Somewhat irked that AJ/Kaitlyn came to an end, as with the addition of the Total Divas jazz, it was the first time in about 10 years the female roster had two feuds running.

'Feud' being an interchangeable term for 'bits of activity at all' in this instance.

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    It was the first time in about 10 years the female roster had two feuds running.
    'Feud' being an interchangeable term for 'bits of activity at all' in this instance.

Level of excitement for Natalia & Co. vs the Bella`s _/
    Level of excitement for AJ vs Kaitlyn \_

I am a horrible human being :o

I'm not bothered reading that essay but will say this. AJ wasn't awarded a title, she worked for it and was rewarded. There is a difference. Stephanie McMahon was awarded a title for storyline reasons. AJ was rewarded with the title for her efforts. She is rightfully proud of her achievements. Look at the countless female wrestlers who will never even work for the company, let alone win the title, and you can see why she would want to celebrate it.
    GTR63 wrote: »
    I genuinely rate the Knockouts title ahead of it, always think the Diva's title now just looks like it was designed to be a tacky accessory.

Personally, I would too. But, a hell of a lot more people know the Diva's title than the Knockouts title. WWE is the biggest company in the world. Being the female champion there makes you the top female wrestler.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Look at the countless female wrestlers who will never even work for the company, let alone win the title, and you can see why she would want to celebrate it.

Moreso, and I say this while pointing out I adore AJ, how many women with her look will ever win the top women's title in WWE? You can count on one hand the number of champions of her size, look and....ahem..."build".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Moreso, and I say this while pointing out I adore AJ, how many women with her look will ever win the top women's title in WWE? You can count on one hand the number of champions of her size, look and....ahem..."build".

You could make the argument she is a transformational figure when it comes to the look that WWE is looking for too. Not giving her 100% of the credit as there has been a change in talent relations from Johhny Ace's extensive swimsuit catalogue collection to Triple H. From what you see on NXT TV to the new hires during the Summer they are all fairly petite and don't have massive honkers or are anorexic looking.

The NXT diva's division is excellent. AJ has done what a lot of divas can't, a lot of her fans are young girls as oppose to just young boys and men drooling over her, which she does get but that's natural.

I might get a bit of slack for this, but what I've seen of Naomi she is pretty decent in the ring. It goes to show that sometimes you might be used in such a way that fans might not get to see how they are in the ring.

Personally, I would too. But, a hell of a lot more people know the Diva's title than the Knockouts title. WWE is the biggest company in the world. Being the female champion there makes you the top female wrestler..

Ah after reading the "We are the Champions" section of the new Power Slam I cannot buy that Shinuke Nakamura isn`t as good a Intercontinental Champion as a Wade Barrett or Curtis Axel.

I think this is another argument for a different thread. There is no denying that the WWE is the biggest wrestling organisation in the world, and if you work in that company your are probably at the top of your profession from an earnings and recognition standpoint. Does it make you the best, no.

GTR63 wrote: »
    Ah after reading the "We are the Champions" section of the new Power Slam I cannot buy that Shinuke Nakamura isn`t as good a Intercontinental Champion as a Wade Barrett or Curtis Axel.

I said top, not best ;)

Shots fired at Meltzer:

35ck70g.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

She must be so ashamed of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭cena

What does it say?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

cena wrote: »
    What does it say?

It's just a series of units reading out the date in which she won the Divas title.

A bigger snap:

Photo-+AJ+Lee+Gets+Tattoo+To+Commemorate+Title+Win.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Cool tat, that would look class in roman numerals

rovert wrote: »
    Shots fired at Meltzer:

What shots?

What shots?

Camera shots