Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Great to read all the reports. Well done everyone and especially PM. You are a hero !! Anyone else starving today? I can't stop eating. Also so stiff and blisters on feet. Stairs are not my friend today. Massage in morning but hoping I don't feel worse after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

sassyj wrote: »
    Was anyone else cold yesterday, I was fecking freezing in parts, the park, Crumlin, Kimmage. Should have worn long sleeves.

Funny I wasn't cold at all once I got moving, I dumped my black bag and gloves before I started and the only time I was cold was waiting at the start line. I was a bit worried about the cold as I was wearing a sleeveless top, but I found the movement and all that body heat around me kept me warm! That said, I hate been overheated when running, would rather be underdressed than overdressed any day. Some people were in so many layers, I just couldn't run like that, I'd be roasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

http://youtu.be/qo6mZ8zLnhI

Did a search on YouTube and there are clips of the various pacer groups coming through half way.

The link above is for the 3:45 group, and I can see myself in the first 10 secs, on the left, in an orange shirt, taking a drink of water ! Damn I looked so comfortable at that stage :)

Hope the link works as I just copied and pasted from my iPhone.

If you were following pacers, do a search for dublin marathon 2012 on youtube to see yourself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭darabbit

R O B wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

I finished the DCM yesterday and just wondered did anyone else's garmin register them as having run nearly 300 metres over a marathon and would anyone know why this was the case for my garmin? thanks:confused:

Yes, mine was over too but i blame my staggered running. I think I weaved from one side of the road to the other a few times. Sometimes to pass walkers and the rest proberly because I was disorientated:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭blockic

jprender wrote: »
    I can see myself in the first 10 secs, on the left, in an orange shirt, taking a drink of water ! Damn I looked so comfortable at that stage :)

Haha...looks like you were just out for a casual morning jog alright...not a bother on ya!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Target 4:00
    Finish 4:16:00
    Had such a great day! Impressed with all your reports. Quads like stone today. Started beside 4 hour pacers and they were a mirage by mile 3, decided I'd catch them later. Felt good up to half way 2:01 knew I'd to improve a little to get sub 4 so I started the chase. By mile 15 I was close to 4hr guys and saw younganne but the voices started telling me I needed to cool off. At mile 18 I gave in and had a walk break, the pacers left! From there it was walk/jog with two heavy legs. Thankfully the calf injury didn't lurk its head.

The last 6 miles were hard! Felt like bursting into tears but I also began to enjoy the atmosphere now that I wasn't chasing sub 4 anymore.

Every traffic light I approached turned red and it had a strange negative effect on me!

The crows were super encouraging! Loved the 'htfu' sign. The tunnels were great fun with the roars of everyone! Oggy oggy oggy.

So I was off target at 4:16 but didn't care when it was over, it was all i had and a big improvement on my first marathon in 2006 (gold coast) of 5:18.

Now I need to figure out what to do to get sub 4 next year and avoid the early wall / stiff quads.

You all helped me and kept me sane through these months, much to the annoyance of my OH. Berlin next year maybe. And maybe one in may. Thanks all.

Love the medal. Did anyone not get one? They ran out of them at the end. My large shirt fits but sleeves are bit short! But I won't take it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

I've been reading race reports all day (even made me late for work :o) and I'm thinking how did I manage to blank out so much stuff - the 'big' sign around Clonskeagh saying heartbreak hill, the entrance to the estate where I used to live (I know I ran past it but it never registered with me), some bridge in the last couple of miles (Grand Canal bridge?) and loads of those signs are new to me as well :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

Hay Guys

Did anyone sign up for the Video plus Download offer? If so.... how do we access the videos?

Satanta wrote: »
    Hay Guys

Did anyone sign up for the Video plus Download offer? If so.... how do we access the videos?
    Yea I did, I'm expecting an email maybe but not sure. Will prob take a few days. Sit tight!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Willie42

Target 4:20
    Finish 4:29

Went out between 4:15 and 4:30 pacers. Very nervous - great atmosphere - no great congestion at start hence flew along with crowd and got carried away and next thing I knew I was at mile 17 wondering why all of a sudden I felt dead, legs started to feel tight, couldn't face drink or gels (only had 2), cant even remember how much I drank along the way - seems a bit of a blur! Knew my family were going to be around 18 miles and that kept me going, think they were surprised to see how rough I looked/felt. Training/LSR always went well (LSR being the operative word I guess). Kept going another half mile then started to jog/walk. Mile 20-24 was pure hardship - hammies, calves, glutes everything kicked in. The crowd and my family brought me home the last two miles - ran all the way. The crowd was fantastic. Kids said my lips were blue when finished and couldn't stomach anything for rest of day till pm. Chip didn't pick me up at finish - contacted chip co and they had me down as a DNF - have updated their records and will be up on DCM web site 2morro. Can't believe I did so much wrong and how bad I felt - but what can I say - live and learn and bring on 2013!!!!!

Great reports and a big well done to everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Keithy C

Hi alll.
    Great to read the reports from Monday.
    My first marathon completed and what an expierence. Trained really well over the past few months and listened to all the tips and advice for race day.

Race day came and went to plan and even better than planned.

Target time was to beat 4.30 and ended up being 4.11. Really happy with that. The 4.15 pacers brought me in from the Nutley Lane at some pace and was able to pull ahead at the finish.

BUT my problem is the results have me down for Gun Time of 4.31 but no Chip Time recorded. My own watch recorded 4.11. Did this happen to anyone else or who do I contact to see if there is a Chip Time available.

I know in my head I did 4.11 but would be nice to have it recorded in the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Willie42

I had to contact Chip Co www.tdl.ltd.uk re my chip time as I hadn't been recorded as finishing - I emailed them and they came back to me very quickly in fairness - they then send updated database to Dublin City Marathon at close of business

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Congratulation to everyone of you. Some of you had fantastic experiences some ofyou not so, but you are now all marathoners!! Enjoy your achievement.
    I have read most of the reports, and willfinish the rest tomorrow. I wasdelighted to meet some of you in McGrattans and some of you out on the course.
    Take the recovery as seriously as you tookthe training and plenty of fluids, carbs, easy walking and baths.
    Few questions to which you can answer onthe thread or just to yourself and some of you have already covered then intheir reports.

What do you wish you had been told before you started training forDCM?

What would you say to people who arereading this thread now and contemplating doing their first marathon next year?

What were your high points and lowpoints of the whole experience?

Do you plan on doing another marathon?

Rest this week with no running, but if yourlegs have fully recovered, and you want to stretch out the legs then Sat/Sun gentle easy run but no more than3 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tomred1N

Target 4:00
    Finish 4:16:00
    Had such a great day! Impressed with all your reports. Quads like stone today. Started beside 4 hour pacers and they were a mirage by mile 3, decided I'd catch them later. Felt good up to half way 2:01 knew I'd to improve a little to get sub 4 so I started the chase. By mile 15 I was close to 4hr guys and saw younganne but the voices started telling me I needed to cool off. At mile 18 I gave in and had a walk break, the pacers left! From there it was walk/jog with two heavy legs. Thankfully the calf injury didn't lurk its head.

The last 6 miles were hard! Felt like bursting into tears but I also began to enjoy the atmosphere now that I wasn't chasing sub 4 anymore.

Every traffic light I approached turned red and it had a strange negative effect on me!

The crows were super encouraging! Loved the 'htfu' sign. The tunnels were great fun with the roars of everyone! Oggy oggy oggy.

So I was off target at 4:16 but didn't care when it was over, it was all i had and a big improvement on my first marathon in 2006 (gold coast) of 5:18.

Now I need to figure out what to do to get sub 4 next year and avoid the early wall / stiff quads.

You all helped me and kept me sane through these months, much to the annoyance of my OH. Berlin next year maybe. And maybe one in may. Thanks all.

Love the medal. Did anyone not get one? They ran out of them at the end. My large shirt fits but sleeves are bit short! But I won't take it off.

Were you the guy i met on stillorgan dual and we said we'd surley make it now. then met u at finish as well and we just laughed and you had no idea of time and said u didnt even have a watch?

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Gavlor wrote: »

Ladies and gentlemen I present to you the senior mentor of next years novices thread ;)
    +1

tomred1N wrote: »

Were you the guy i met on stillorgan dual and we said we'd surley make it now. then met u at finish as well and we just laughed and you had no idea of time and said u didnt even have a watch?

Sorry wasn't me! But did chat to a few along the way but no boardsies! I asked a few and they said 'wha?', i assumed everyone knows boards!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Short version:
    Target = 3:54.XX
    Result = 3:54:19
    Delighted

Long version:
    Where to start? Monday morning I guess. As with Sunday night, I'd a shocking night of broken sleep, not helped by the fact that I was swilling water like a steam train and waking up at the other end of the process. Dozing from 3.30 does not a happy man make. Probably led to the crisis of confidence I had on Sunday night - could have done with an old STFU but just went to bed instead.

Up at 6.10 for a 6.30 breakfast (staying with the in-laws so no problems about being able to get anything I was used to). Several trips to the loo. Taxi arrived pretty much bang on time and we both set off with our drop bags packed from the night before and got to the edge of the race start zone at about 7.45.

Found our bearings and dropped the bags at about 8.15. Were going to queue there for another loo break but the announcer said that there were more loos nearer the start and that people should use them, so we headed off that way. I went towards green, Mrs. D towards orange. I joined the queue for the 5 (yes only 5:eek:) portaloos at about 8.35. I stayed there as the national anthem was played and the wheelchair entrants headed off and as the first wave headed off. No problem I thought, I want to go with the 2nd wave. Then they started moving up. Then they were gone. Still about 15 people in the queue ahead of me. Everyone getting agitated but reminded them that their time didn't start until they cross the start line so, in theory at least, we could start at 10am and still get an accurate time (but without the support of the pacers). Was somewhat entertained by the guy behind me who was telling all and sundry that he couldn't wait and that he was "touching cloth" and..... I'll spare ye the rest.:o Got out of the queue at about 9.18 and joined the 3rd wave about 1/2 or 2/3 way back (it was well moved forward at this stage). Plans to run between 3.45 & 4.00 pacers long gone out the window - thank God for Garmin and virtual pacer. Set that to 5:30/km (planned for 5:30 ±0:10/km).

First km was shocking slow, though maybe that's what I needed. Was 188m behind the virtual pacer by the first corner. Decided to deliberately recover that slowly (and I was well into the park before I came level). Running was going well. Down into O'Connell St and passed a young lad with "Shlow down Tommy" on a banner - I knew it was going to be a good day! Called out to him for the craic. Crowds were brilliant all along here and through Phibsboro - the drum bands at the Spar were also deserving of special mention all along the way. Felt sad for the people attending the funeral in Phibsboro church - the hearse was outside and all and here we were out for a run like it was the most important thing in the world.

Through the park and down into Chapelizod - passed the 5.00, 4.30 & 4.15 pacers at this stage and knew that I shouldn't catch the 4.00 pacers or I was going too fast (Shlow down Tommy!) and anyway I was anticipating the first major hill. Crowds were again brilliant. Most difficult thing about the hill was passing the people barbequing sausages outside their front gate - if I didn't stop for that, nothing was going to stop me! Left calf tightening a little at this stage but I wasn't too worried - certainly not enough to need to stop & stretch. Forgot to take my first gel at 6m so took it at 8m.

Inchicore, SCR, Rialto to Crumlin Road - again great support. Know this area of the city reasonably well so enjoyed running it (you'd normally get run over if you tried that!). Up past the Children's hospital was a bit of a drag but nothing nearly as hilly as what I'm used to. Got a great buzz going up to the half way mark, as well as some Natural Confectionary Company jelly snakes (my favourites!) which I was chewing when I got snapped by Pixel Pro! Gel no 2 dispatched at this stage.

Down along Cromwellsfort road to the bit I was looking forward to most - my kids were waiting with my mother-in-law and Mrs. D's friend. Had a clear run down to them so they didn't miss me and I got to see their posters.:D Up to Templeogue, then Rathgar - all going grand. All the way the crowds were fantastic and having my name on my shirt again proved its worth. The buzz from being encouraged individually was massive - had to trim back my speed every time.

Knew coming down to Milltown that the dreaded hill was awaiting me. Started playing the crowds a bit - encouraging them to shout up - and they were even more brilliant. Gel no.3 at 18m. Charged up Heartbreak Hill, dodging the people who were conserving energy by walking. Solicited a high 5 and a name check from Ray D'Arcy at the top (he'd no feckin' jellies though!). To be honest I didn't think the hill was all that bad (although Mrs. Dilbert has been cursing you since Killian Byrne - I promised her you said you'd run up it in training and that it was fine but she reckons you can't have run up it after 20 miles of running because it most definitely was NOT fine!:eek:). Over the top and down the other side - feeling good. Got another bottle of water and kept on going - more crowd encouragement at the turn for a positive frame of mind going into the last stretch.

Getting towards 21m I was contemplating my 4th & last gel. Decided I'd better take it as an insurance going up the UCD flyover. The previous 2 hadn't gone down well and I'd had to wash them down with a good lash of water. Would have taken more than water to get this one down. Ended up just rinsing my mouth out with the water and whatever went down went down - the rest I spat into a bush. Without stopping.;) Still feeling pretty good, though every muscle & joint south of my navel was hurting at this stage.

Coming up towards RTE and was starting to feel decidedly less good. Started getting a cramp in my right side, from my hip to the middle of my ribcage. The pep talks that I'd been giving myself earlier ("you can finish this, you will finish this", etc.) needed a bit more punch so I was trying to think of things that I'd done well in the past and using them as justification why I would be able to keep running. The pain in my side didn't go but my legs didn't stop either. The girl near the end of the Nutley Lane with the HTFU sign made me laugh out loud and we exchanged brief banter to lighten the mood again.

Around the turn and I was in unfamiliar territory but kept telling myself it couldn't be far. Met the UK embassy, then realised we were close to the RDS - I'd have a passing knowledge of this area. Figured out how many miles I'd left and started thinking of my equivalent training routes. For 3m it was only around the block, then 2m was around the even shorter block. Mentally I was only running to the bend in my estate, then to the entrance, then to the next junction, etc. I found it was easier to convince myself that I could do it.

Before I knew it we were crossing the canal and heading for Pearse St. Saw the DART and knew we had to be close. The wall of sound from the crowd was getting louder and people were still roaring my name, as they had done all the way around. The difference was that this time I wasn't able to respond to them - it was all I could do to stay running. Gritted teeth replaced a smile, clenched fists replaced a wave. Around by Trinity and it was like I was on auto pilot. There was actually a work colleague there shouting my name but I didn't differentiate her from everyone else (the first familar face I'd have seen in 12 miles!). Passed a man sat on the ground with his two legs out in front of him about 200yds before the 26m mark - 2 spectators were with him - I hope he was alright.

Couldn't see the finish yet, was just looking for the 26m mark that we'd seen at the end of mile 1. Found it, looked up - there's the finish. Kept it lit as much as I could - no energy for a sprint but crossed the line on 3:54:20 by my watch - bang on target. Crossed the line with my arms aloft. The minute I stopped running the pain in my side went but it had been a tough 5 miles trying to convince myself that I wasn't going to barf.

In the end I must have only been 6 mins behind the 4:00 pacers but I never knowingly laid eyes on a single Boardie (barring the pacers who were surrounded every time I saw them) for the whole day, which I was disappointed about.

Went and met Mrs. Dilbert and collected the bags. Had to bring her to the Physio tent to be warmed up as she'd been standing around for a while (she finished in 3.29 - many thanks to the 3.30 pacers) and must have been borderline hypothermic at that point, she was literally rattling. I felt the cold something terrible too - never really warmed up, just varying degrees of cold (which is most unlike me). Waited then for my brother who finished in 4:09, well beating his first-timer target of 4:30. Headed off in search of warm drinks and never found McGrattans (probably just as well - by the time we got a bus home the kids thought we'd collapsed somewhere. In reality freezing to death was more likely - never have run for more than a couple of mins without warming up so was shockingly cold all the way round).

Really enjoyed the whole day - a whole different experience to my actual novice marathon in Edinburgh in May this year. Reviewed my Garmin data earlier (see below) and am quite proud of how I managed my pace (even though it was assisted by technology). Was fading a bit in the last 1/2 mile but looked at the virtual pacer counting down the number of metres I was ahead of target and said no way was I going to let myself drop below target at that stage, so I found something somewhere.

Quite stiff today but the euphoria hasn't faded. Was awake at 6 this morning, dying to see how everyone else here got on. Am delighted to see so many positive stories from so many of you. Special mention to PM for a "Spirit of the Boards Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread" award. I was watching the thread with the tables and saw no finish time for you and was fearing the worst - but am truly delighted for you.

"Spirit of the Marathon" award to the spectators who came out with their jellies, oranges, drinks, signs, bells, clappers, cheering, etc. - they literally made the day for me. Mrs. D is not sure that she'd run Dublin again - she didn't like knowing where each hill and turn was going to be but that was part of the upside for me - I like to know where I'm going in advance. But I do think that, once the aches subside, I could be looking at Waterford, Cork or Limerick for the next one...

For the data geeks...
    My garmin data here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Just so you know next time if you're running Dublin, there were 4 porterloos up Fitzwilliam Lane which was directly opposite where we were standing at the start line. I was bursting to go and noticed some guys coming from the lane and was thinking it was just a lane then i seen some women coming out and i went up myself to see if there was anywhere private for women. Low and behold there were porterloos and I was delighted, thought i wouldve had to make a pitstop along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Sara2002

Would someone mind telling me where I can buy official marathon pictures? My bib number doesn't pick any up on the sites I've checked so far. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Short version:
    Delighted

Long version:
    Where to start? Monday morning I guess......
    That was a savage run and a savage race report. Well done to you and Mrs. D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Sara2002 wrote: »
    Would someone mind telling me where I can buy official marathon pictures? My bib number doesn't pick any up on the sites I've checked so far. Thanks
    Marathonphotos.com

You'll get an email once they have started tagging ones with you in but will take a while before they are all done.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

To be honest I didn't think the hill was all that bad (although Mrs. Dilbert has been cursing you since Killian Byrne - I promised her you said you'd run up it in training and that it was fine but she reckons you can't have run up it after 20 miles of running because it most definitely was NOT fine!:eek:).

Sorry!, in my defence, despite feeling like the worst runner in the world at that stage, I was determined to run up Roebuck hill and I did. I think i even did a little jump at the top in celebration.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭sassyj

What do you wish you had been told before you started training for DCM? Everyone will have an opinion on training, find people you can trust (like this thread :)

What would you say to people who are reading this thread now and contemplating doing their first marathon next year?
    Go for it, it's totally doable, I was running short distances about 2 times a week from August (2011) up to when I started marathon training. I think I surprised a few people by completing it.

Also do not look ahead at the training plan and freak yourself out looking at the long runs, deal with what you have to do on a week by week basis, that way the big numbers won't scare you as you build gradually.

What were your high points and low points of the whole experience?
    I remember breaking the hour running, that's when I knew I could do this running lark. Low points, the half marathon, all my runs were killing me around that time. Blew up on the day, was painful. However did learn from it.

HELL YES! Although at around miles 17-22 I was swearing off it, the last 3 miles were such a rush, i can't wait to do it again. And my competitive streak says I must improve :)

Thanks again Younganne, hope you got what you wanted on the day.

How is everyone now 48hrs on?

I feel quite good, and did so yesterday as well. had a swim & stretch which I think helped a lot. This is just adding to my relative disappointment with the race; I know 15mins outside target is not so bad, I know its a massive achievement to run a marathon but I really thought following 4.15 was a conservative strategy and to feel so bad from 15miles onwards and take so many walking breaks has left me really trying to think where / if / when I screwed up?

Being able to walk quite easily now has me thinking I just didn't HTFU and get on with things!

anyone else thinking this way or am I being a bit stupid about things?

I feel quite good, and did so yesterday as well. had a swim & stretch which I think helped a lot. This is just adding to my relative disappointment with the race; I know 15mins outside target is not so bad, I know its a massive achievement to run a marathon but I really thought following 4.15 was a conservative strategy and to feel so bad from 15miles onwards and take so many walking breaks has left me really trying to think where / if / when I screwed up?

Being able to walk quite easily now has me thinking I just didn't HTFU and get on with things!

Hi Killian

Sounds like we had a similar experience, from 15 miles killed me. Also walking fine today, I am chalking it down to experience though, never though I'd run a marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 dougal13

target time fr first marathon???? 3.05 to 3.10
    finish time???? 3.11

was all excited the night before as i made my way to dublin in the car with a fello runner. stop off in mullingar for the dinner on way up in the steak house and have to admit got a great 3 course meal for 14.95. as made it to the expo the nerves begin to hit. extremely well organised and got great information there. then out where i was stayin in dublin to relax for evening.

after a brill sleep from 10.30 till 5 o clock it was time for up and had the breakie.. 3 slices off toast with a banana and a energy drink. off to the baggage area at 7.30 and up to the start line around 8.30 and got chattin to few others and we waited in the cold.

then as 9 o clock approached i decided i would go ahead off the 3.15 pacers and ignore the advice i got off an experience marathon runner who told me to stay with them till 14 miles and then push on and try and break 3.10 from there.(little did i know he prove right later on) as the race started what felt and awful slow first mile i went through in 7.24 and gaps started appearing. covered the next few miles in under 7 min miles and felt great as entered phonix park. them miles in around there were lovely to say the least and was hittin under 6.40 a mile there and still felt i was well in control even got my average mile down to 7.04 and we left the park. (suffered later on for this as i guess many did)

then the next goal was to reach half way still in control which i did and went through just over 1.33 avg 7.09 per mile with est. finish time of 3.07. felt really good and with 2 gels inside me everythin going to plan.next goal i made was to get to 16miles still feelin strong and tryin to maintain 7.09 avr which i achieved. gel 3 taken and then on to the 21mile marker. as i approach 21 i could feel my hips gettin tight but everythin else was fine abd breathing felt great and mentally strong. knew after 21m i was in unknown grounds.... this is where i was told the race starts and if went out to hard you will suffer(how right they were)

as i went through 21m marker still holdin on to 7.09 ave my lower half began to seize. got through mile 22 just and on to mile 23 i new i was strugglin as i was still puttin in same effort but my aver pace for that mile went to over 7.20. mile 24 was worse and struggled with an 8.00mile. new i had to dig in as my goal off 3.10 was slippin by. mile 25 was torture and just wanted to cross that finish line as my hole lower boby was achin. from here i new was goal was gone but still told myself to finish as strong as possible.

mile 25 seem to go on for even and what a relief it was to see the mile 26 marker. new only had 300 yards or so to go but god them seem to drag. bout 100 yards out i still wanted to finish strong and some how i managed a sprint finish..... 3.11 finish and delighted.

wel went i stopped and got my medal my hole bottom half went into spasm and never in my life have i felt pain like it for 40mins or so. sore i would never do it again.... but i will be back with more than 1 month trainin done and with alot more 22mile runs behind me and will be settin a new goal off breakin 3.05

an amazing experience with the way it was organised and the support off the people was unreal. congrats to everyone who took part and achived there own goals. i always taught a marathon wouldnt be that hard but boy was i wrong. you got to respect them last 6 miles and dont get carried away. took ting i have ever done and i completed 3 duathlons and a warriors run before but nothin compears to this.

all the best and until next year and have to thank all who all who posted on this forum and big thanks to whom you are who started it. been a massive help. now im off to see i can start to try and these legs walking proper again... over and out!

Younganne wrote: »

What do you wish you had been told before you started training forDCM? Mental preparation is as important for this as the physical running. Marathon race day is like nothing a novice will have ever experienced before, both in a good way and not. The emotion when hearing the support coming from the crowd was at times so encouraging it was overwhelming. ( nearly lost a contact lens going over the bridge at Grand Canal street I was crying so much!)

[/B][/B]
    What would you say to people who arereading this thread now and contemplating doing their first marathon next year?
    Do it, you will learn so much about yourself and achieve so much. preparing properly with other like minded individuals will assist a novice in being as good as they can be. your life will change with training so much you will not know yourself, both health wise & in your relationships. Try not to miss the opportunity.

What were your high points and lowpoints of the whole experience?

High - going from not being able to run 200meters in january to running 42,000 meters on Monday.
    High - learning that putting on the runners and just getting out the door actually isn't that bad once you do it.
    High - learning that there is always time for a 10k run - it takes less than an hour.
    High - Being able to call myself a 'distance runner' we are all part of a very select group, no matter what our times and experiences were.
    High - having my name on my shirt and feeling at times like I was the only person in the race.

Low - theres a slight feeling of "what if"
    Low / High - I told a lot of people I was doing the marathon, I felt a huge amount of expectation on my shoulders at all stages of the race, however the response when I switched on my phone with all the messages was just brilliant.

Absolutely, I am now a runner, it is part of my life and will never let that go.

Theres a lot more highs than lows, I may be a bit disappointed, but I'm incredibly proud of what I did and to understand that my kids can see the results of hard work and dedication is a massive reward. I think I may just have a bit of a marathon 'void' in my life after the race. nows the time to HTFU and get on with things :D

If your thinking of running 26.2 for the first time, then don't hesitate, go for it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Sara2002 wrote: »

I just got my email this morning, some great pics in fairness, I'm tempted to buy one. Although I'm not sure if the one I like was taken at the start or the finish. I'm either fresher than I thought at the finish or looked like sh1t at the start :D
    Short version:
    Delighted
    That is fantastic running Dilbert, to start at the back like that and make your way forward through those crowds is incredible. You so easily could have pushed too hard too fast, so you did really well to pace yourself. I was in the toilet queue at about the same time as you, but I left after a minute or two, it would have knocked me off my stride to start further back, I know I would have burst a gut trying to get back to the 4 hour pacers. Also there was no queues for the loos at the water stations so it didn’t kill much time to nip in.

Did you pass the 4 hour pacers in the end? I missed all the Boardsies, turns out Career Move and Younganne finished almost the exact same time as me and I saw nobody! Think I had my tunnel vision on at that stage!

Just my two cents Killian, but the brain has a way of protecting you from bad memories, it’s why women have more than one child! So what was an incredibly difficult experience at the time kind of mellows and you begin to think, what if, what if. It’s totally pointless, you did your best at the time. You in particular have had an incredible journey from OT just 10 months ago to a marathon…. That’s amazing! Don’t beat yourself up about it, you had a fantastic time. Just take what you’ve learned from this marathon and use it to improve your time next year. But you should be very proud of yourself

If anyone wants to swap , I got a large finisher t-shirt, would swap for small or medium. If not, i will be boiling to shrink, is a lovely t-shirt :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭blockic

Down into O'Connell St and passed a young lad with "Shlow down Tommy" on a banner - I knew it was going to be a good day! Called out to him for the craic.

Haha..that's mad! That was my brother!

Advertisement