Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential Storm Sunday April 29th , Rainy period till May 02nd

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Raining here in Wexford since about 3pm,not as windy as earlier though.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

gusty wind all day picks up and goes down again hardly any rain.......whats with all the warnings:confused:...and the southeast is meant to get the worst of it?

#contentContainer { float:none; width:640px;}Winds Cause Power Cuts As Rain Lashes UK

16218560.jpg A huge tree blown down by high winds in Sussex. Photo: Drew Robinson

seems it hit england/wales hard enough.....why not us?
    7:28pm UK, Sunday April 29, 2012

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Bitter cold breeze in Cork city, but only spits of rain. Zzzz:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

There has been a consistent spell of rain now for over an hour in Dublin 4. It's heavy enough. Mostly settled with the odd gust, although the gust are starting to become more regular.

It's a heavier spell of rain than we got with the last system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,634 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Very interesting storm evolution, we shall not see its like again. Until Tuesday anyway.

The latest model runs appear to have significantly increased the rainfall potential for the period Mon-Wed next week in the South and East - appears to be backed up by the latest British Met O fax charts too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Weylin

drove all over galway city,county,the burren today,slight cool breeze,not a single drop of rain,very sunny at times needed sunglasses :) also yesterday very dry,and cut the grass last friday :)"Slight risk of extreme event Potential Storm Sunday April 29th"total garbage and misleading thread title.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Weylin wrote: »
    drove all over galway city,county,the burren today,slight cool breeze,not a single drop of rain,very sunny at times needed sunglasses :) also yesterday very dry,and cut the grass last friday :)"Slight risk of extreme event Potential Storm Sunday April 29th"total garbage and misleading thread title.:pac:

weather is local, just because its a nice day where you are doesn't mean that it's nice everywhere...70-80 km/h gusts and driving rain for the past 5 hours where I am on an exposed area on the E Coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭eigrod

Birdnuts wrote: »
    The latest model runs appear to have significantly increased the rainfall potential for the period Mon-Wed next week in the South and East - appears to be backed up by the latest British Met O fax charts too!!

When you say "next week", do you mean tomorrow and the subsequent 2 days ?

i dont think its too advisable to be hypin up another "event" in the coming days when for a lot of people the last two events just never happened ...i understand in some parts they have seen heavy rain/strong winds... but im in the southeast and thats where the most action was to be with this event/storm.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Well your not called the Sunny South East for no reason :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Birdnuts wrote: »

ahh god no, i'm heading to dublin wednesday, could do without the rain. :(

i've looked at the radar, apparently cork was supposed to be raining, i'm not kidding there was a like a shower and that was it.

yeah the radar aint addin up it was supposed to be raining heavy in carlow most of the day but it rained for about an hour then dried up ...?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,634 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

eigrod wrote: »
    When you say "next week", do you mean tomorrow and the subsequent 2 days ?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Radar is adding up for Dublin. it says rain, and it is raining.

Maybe it's just localised to your area howlinwolf?

maybe so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

howlinwolf wrote: »
    maybe so

I presume that you are in the shadow of the Wicklow Mountains...tends to happen with a NE wind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Strange, only 5-6 mm have fallen in the Dublin area this afternoon and yet many roads have pretty bad standing water.

And it's buckin cold out there....only 4.8 °C, but a windchill of around -7 °C!

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭lostinashford

patneve2 wrote: »
    weather is local, just because its a nice day where you are doesn't mean that it's nice everywhere...70-80 km/h gusts and driving rain for the past 5 hours where I am on an exposed area on the E Coast.

In 12 years of living in my present location I have never had such sustained winds as today and highest gust on my records, plenty of local flooding as well and still bucketing down - it was an event (much more so than some of the other ones flagged) But thats only my experience today.

Theres no certainty when starting these threads, take it as it was meant - a 'SLIGHT RISK'

Sorry, meant to quote Weylin not patneve2

6oC and a wind chill of 1oC thank god i have a heater in my room. it's freezing. i'm sure it's colder now than it was during the winter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

went for a wander on the beach in Termonfeckin an hour ago with the hound .... near impossible to walk towards clogher head with the wind blowing down and the rain that was falling was like gravel flying in my face.

Needless to say ... myself and the hound had the beach to ourselves!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

whippet wrote: »
    went for a wander on the beach in Termonfeckin an hour ago with the hound .... near impossible to walk towards clogher head with the wind blowing down and the rain that was falling was like gravel flying in my face.

Needless to say ... myself and the hound had the beach to ourselves!!!!

Does your wife mind you calling her the hound?

Winds have been very strong all day here in Co. Waterford but I am in an exposed spot. Winds in Waterford City far more moderate. Thought we would get a lot more rain.

Here's a 12Z ECMWF sounding for Dublin for 18Z this evening, showing a truly saturated (cloudy) profile right the way up to around 350 hPa (around 9 km), with warm air advection occuring above the cold boundary layer (first graph). Also note the marked increase in windspeed with height within the lowest layers, and the constant northeasterly direction at all levels.

raob_368Y3690.gif

well it's raining now. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭lostinashford

42.2mm so far in Ashford, still gusting over 40kmh, rain still pounding on the windows

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Tae laidir

Carlow/Kilkenny seems to show an unusual dryness on Rainfall Radar?
    Miracle or malfunction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭DoneDL

N/NW Donegal, frost at 6.00AM, Sunny but chilly with a light breeze all day. Expecting same for tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭RoisinD

Weylin wrote: »

Don't know where in the Burren you were today but a slight cool breeze is not entirely accurate.I have just checked my figures for today and the strongest gust was 48.9mph (78km) so hardly a slight breeze. What is unusual about these winds is the direction so all precautions taken against the westerlies/south westerlies are no good in this wind.

While I agree that winds of 40mph+ (64+ kilomteres) and heavy rain are not unusual here, in other parts of the country they certainly are. I am sure the Atlantic will soon be back in action and normal service will be resumed.

• Advertisement

Tae laidir wrote: »
    Carlow/Kilkenny seems to show an unusual dryness on Rainfall Radar?
    Miracle or malfunction?

It's in the rain shield of the Wicklow mountains. Run the animation and you will see all the rain falling on the windward (northeast) side of the mountains.

Oak Park only registered 0.4 mm by 7 pm this evening, whereas Johnstown Castle, Casement and Dublin Airports were 3-5 mm.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement