Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Runner 5 mile June 30 (marathon race series)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

4 stars (good)
    the kyber road the closed road thats half bike lane that goes from near the papal cross car park to the foot of the magazine fort? Little stream running alongside it. I'm not familiar with the park much and did a jog of the route but heard people saying it was a really tough road but I didn't think it was that bad
    If Im reading the map right, we are going down the Kyber, and not up - so not that bad...

The Military Road, and the rise at the very end as you approach the S Bends will be a tough shock to the system after a couple of K's of speedy downhill :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Any word on the number of entries? Last year I think they got 6000 for this race.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

5,800 apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 CS_Runner

tunguska wrote: »
    Any word on the number of entries? Last year I think they got 6000 for this race.

Just checked my steward info email, there are 4.400 running.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Duzzie

CS_Runner wrote: »
    Just checked my steward info email, there are 4.400 running.

Any idea how many ran last year.

Good luck to everyone running, got my kit all ready to go in the morning. Looking forward to it so probably wont get much sleep tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭hawkwing

3 stars (average)
    Duzzie wrote: »
    Any idea how many ran last year.

Good luck to everyone running, got my kit all ready to go in the morning. Looking forward to it so probably wont get much sleep tonight.
    5095 finished last yr,4866 in 2010,4437 in 2009,2905 in 2008,about 2400 in 2007 which was my first one.Just hoping to finish injury free tomorrow after several months of almost constant injuries that may be getting fixed now hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭lastbuilders

3 stars (average)
    Hi All,

Signed up for this tomorrow though a bit nervous as have not done as much training as I would have liked. Is there a bag storage point like the GIR at this event?

Lastbuilders

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

4 stars (good)
    Hi All,

Signed up for this tomorrow though a bit nervous as have not done as much training as I would have liked. Is there a bag storage point like the GIR at this event?

Lastbuilders

Yes there is.

Well, how did ye all find it?

Found it very hot at certain points but the rain was lovely and cooling. I went at the start of the second wave, was disappointed to still have to weave between walkers, didn't think it would be that sort of race.
    Hills were tough but I do most of that loop on my training runs so I was used to it. That's the first time I've run to actually race instead of going to just finish it. Did 10km in 65minutes a few weeks ago and finished this in just over 45 minutes by my watch, delighted. Normally run 7km in 46 mins so to do 8k in 45 was amazing for me!

Big thanks to the guy running beside me on the finishing straight who heard my dad cheering 'Michelle!' and cheered me on as he ran beside me. Legs and feet were burning and I really needed it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭fungirl1

Rain was great but found it tough....agree there were WAY too many people in the wrong waves...first miles was very slow as a result. Disappointed that all small and medium t shirts were gone at the finish...large is way too long on little me....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭scheister

Whoop chip timing has me running it in 48:58. Really good course. For me the rain came at just the right times. From the people I was talking to not a lot seem to be doing the fingal 10k but sticking to the 3 runs in the park.

3 stars (average)
    Wasn't going to do this all week as in bits with an ongoing injury for months but after a chiro visit on Thurs decided to chance it as i thought i might manage 5m for the first time in ages.Started at the back of wave one and delighted to realise after a few strides that i was pain free for the first time in years running :). Was hoping for to possibly get under 40 and was amazed to do mile 2 and 3 under 7'30,fitness cost me after that due to a hideous few weeks of almost no training cos of injury and alcohol to ease the depression.Found the last 2 tough as fitness is almost gone of course but came in 38'36" in a race i couldn't envisage completing 48hrs ago.nearly 5 mins off a pb but over the moon to be able to complete it and realise how nice it is to be able to run when not in pain again:) 2 months to get ready for the 10 miler and DCM '12 is back on the cards!!:)
    Thought the field was a lot smaller than recent years which was better--i think the running boom is def starting to fade slightly,too many races i think..

3 stars (average)
    results up already-- http://www.tdl.ltd.uk/ :)
    4044 finishers--well down on last 3 yrs--5095-4866-4437 in that order...

hawkwing wrote: »
    results up already-- http://www.tdl.ltd.uk/ :)
    4044 finishers--well down on last 3 yrs--5095-4866-4437 in that order...

Reckon the weather played a big part in that. They were taking late applicants up until last night who would have just paid cash this morning, I'd say there were a lot of people who hadn't handed over any cash who just though 'fcuk it' when they saw what kind of day it was.

Just saw the results, just over 47 minutes by the chip. Thought it was quicker than not. Still happy though. 710th female over the line and 360th in my category, woo!

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Buck

Just saw the results, just over 47 minutes by the chip. Thought it was quicker than not. Still happy though. 710th female over the line and 360th in my category, woo!
    Where did you see your position? I have checked the site and only shows me my time. I checked here
    http://track.rtrt.me/e/TDL-IRISH5M-2012

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Alanm

3 stars (average)
    Buck wrote: »
    Where did you see your position? I have checked the site and only shows me my time. I checked here
    http://track.rtrt.me/e/TDL-IRISH5M-2012
    check out http://www.tdl.ltd.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

Good enjoyable race bar the usual idiots starting in the wrong wave. I started towards front of wave 2 and spent first mile weaving in and out of people. Actually passed people walking after not even half a mile, ridiculous!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

zefer wrote: »
    Good enjoyable race bar the usual idiots starting in the wrong wave. I started towards front of wave 2 and spent first mile weaving in and out of people. Actually passed people walking after not even half a mile, ridiculous!

Its amazing how many people still do this and dont go into the correct section. Some clown standing in front of me wearing a spartan challange T-shirt, alongside another eejit in a bootcamp shirt, both right up the front, literally on the very first line. They were swamped after 20 yards. How they thought they belonged there boggles the mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Name Changed

3 stars (average)
    I really enjoyed that race. I broke my pb getting 36:19 (on the Garmin) which is 7 seconds better than my Raheny 5 mile. Plus this course according to the way I ran it on the Garmin was 5:07miles. I have to stop running on the outside.

It was the first time I thought the wave start actually worked. I did start in the first wave, but I hardly saw anyone in the wrong wave. Usually I spend the first mile running around joggers or walkers. There were still a few though, are people actually stupid?

One little gripe I have is the t-shirts. They are tiny. I got one in medium which is usually perfect. Last years t-shirts in medium actually swim on me. The difference in the sizes is enormous and no, I haven't gained weight. I won't be able to wear it to be honest. It had annoyed me.

Anyway, great race as per usual with the race series.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

tunguska wrote: »
    Its amazing how many people still do this and dont go into the correct section. Some clown standing in front of me wearing a spartan challange T-shirt, alongside another eejit in a bootcamp shirt, both right up the front, literally on the very first line. They were swamped after 20 yards. How they thought they belonged there boggles the mind.

It will always happen i'm afraid. I'm not slow but i know my place in a race start. I buried an Italian lady doing the half last year in the park, she was part of some walking group doing the race. Going along with 1.40 group then bang, straight into her. Never seen her cause she was small. People starting in wrong place ruin races for alot of others i'm afraid.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

3 stars (average)
    Enjoyed the run, achieved my goal of sub 40 mins. Weather wasn't too bad bit of rain just before the start of the race.

I enjoyed the course, although all the training I've done in the park meant I knew what was due around each corner.

A number of people were curious about the FiveFingers so made for a very sociable race.

Well done to everybody who took part.

P.S Anybody notice they didn't put the date on the TShirt this year, I guess they didn't want to make the same mistake as last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Did it in 52 minutes. Started at the last wave as I arrived late. Probably should've gone in the middle one but I enjoyed it. Was worried that heat at the start would last all race but it was a nice mix with a bit of rain at the end to cool us down. One think I thought was a bit of a pain was so many people running in 2s and 3s. I know its beneficial for the group of them but it can often make it tough to get past them on the narrower sections of the race. Overall very good fun though, looking forward to the 10 miler.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,539 ✭✭✭Trampas

On wrong waves

3771 Dessie Phillips M60 21 01:05:56 01:06:04

So started 8 seconds after the gun.

Another thing I notice is you can have a wall of runners running together which can make it hard to get by. Can be 4/5/6 a breast.

3 stars (average)
    Would wave starts by colour make any difference? For example a green number for the first wave and so on?

Did anyone else find the t-shirts tiny?

3 stars (average)
    Trampas wrote: »

Another thing I notice is you can have a wall of runners running together which can make it hard to get by. Can be 4/5/6 a breast.

I just ran through a couple of groups like this, gently barging them out of the way. It can be very annoying. I lost a fair few seconds stuck behind slow groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

2 stars (poor)
    I really enjoyed that race. I broke my pb getting 36:19 (on the Garmin) which is 7 seconds better than my Raheny 5 mile. Plus this course according to the way I ran it on the Garmin was 5:07miles. I have to stop running on the outside.

It was the first time I thought the wave start actually worked. I did start in the first wave, but I hardly saw anyone in the wrong wave. Usually I spend the first mile running around joggers or walkers. There were still a few though, are people actually stupid?

One little gripe I have is the t-shirts. They are tiny. I got one in medium which is usually perfect. Last years t-shirts in medium actually swim on me. The difference in the sizes is enormous and no, I haven't gained weight. I won't be able to wear it to be honest. It had annoyed me.

Anyway, great race as per usual with the race series.

Agree, very frustrating!

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

Would wave starts by colour make any difference? For example a green number for the first wave and so on?

T-shirts are tiny! Took a medium, same as last year and it's like a tank top on me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

4 stars (good)
    Enjoyed this, course is tough but manageable if you run it right. Excellent organisation as usual from the Race Series team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Private Joker

zefer wrote: »

T-shirts are tiny! Took a medium, same as last year and it's like a tank top on me :)

I have a large that's like a tank top too. Will swap for an xl or proper sized large from another race . ( hopeful thinking I know)

Advertisement