Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Runner 5 mile June 30 (marathon race series)

Options
  • 24-04-2012 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭

Last year's thread
    Website
    Route map

Starting this because the route map has been posted, and it's back to the 2010 route - start on Chesterfield, around North Road, down the Kyber, up Military, through the S-bends, up Upper Glen Road and finishing on Furze Road.

(I don't plan on doing it this year - anyone know how you go about volunteering to help out?)

Rate this race based on, Scenery, PB potential, Atmosphere, Value, Organisation 47 votes

5 stars (excellent)
    0%
    4 stars (good)
    29%
    tHE vAGGABONDxebecWotzitrustydrogcoalshedcarlton367milepconn062MarthastewLostnfoundmeijinfightirelandRunOnMTSnailsPace 14 votes
    3 stars (average)
    59%
    AlanmscargilldaymobrewlastbuilderssyngindubitsalltruehawkwingSeanie_HCCRliamogName ChangedKittyMittensmissyaliirishmanmickstevekavoJayd0gditedsweep22wobblemouthYounganne 28 votes
    2 stars (poor)
    10%
    willowthewispRuarl Runnerofthelordjimjamkk06sureitsgrand 5 votes
    1 star (terrible)
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

I see they put up the 5 mile/10k and 10 mile courses earlier yeah. Looks a pretty brutal course. Last mile will be a killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

4 stars (good)
    I was intending on doing all the race series this year again. Not too familiar with the park and missed the 5 mile last year, can anyone who knows the park talk me through the course? Hard, easy, PB potential?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,791 ✭✭✭corny

pconn062 wrote: »
    I was intending on doing all the race series this year again. Not too familiar with the park and missed the 5 mile last year, can anyone who knows the park talk me through the course? Hard, easy, PB potential?

Don't know whether the course is relatively difficult but i'd have thought congestion will rule out PB's. It was crazy in the 5 mile last year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Good to see it's starting on Chesterfield again though. Tough oul course, pretty much the same as the GIR route. Won't be signing up for this this year myself.

4 stars (good)
    Yeah hopefully the Chesterfield start will clear up a bit of the congestion. Just get there early to get close to the start I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

It's the same course as when I did it 3 years ago judging by the map. It's quite a tough one, pretty much the same second half as the Great ireland Run (except you don't have to go down into the furry glen).

Here's my garmin link to the 2009 race: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/9075351

It was my only my second race so obviously I got a PB, but if you had a strong 5 mile PB it would be tough to beat it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

RayCun wrote: »
    (I don't plan on doing it this year - anyone know how you go about volunteering to help out?)

PM Hardworker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

RayCun wrote: »

Didn't the BHAA organise the voluteers for this last year? If so you should know who to contact ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭chinguetti

5 mile is tough and with the crowds, i'ld say it will be very tough to get a PB.

10 mile course is a PB course in my mind once you don't get stuck in traffic.

I'ld be interested in helping out as not running the series so can you PM me the person to contact please Meno or Ray?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

chinguetti wrote: »
    I'ld be interested in helping out as not running the series so can you PM me the person to contact please Meno or Ray?

I've PMed Hard Worker, I'll let you know when he replies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

I volunteered through BHAA before, they were doing specific jobs to assist with the race. Buses, goody bags etc. They will welcome your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

The 5 miler route is alot better than last years to say the least.

I did this route before in the 5 mile series and got a good PB on it. Not my current PB but it was the first time i broke 36 mins.

Route clears out easily enough on chesterfield avenue. Wont be doing it myself but will give 10 miler a lash.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Does the Indo have a deal for the results with the race series?

4 stars (good)
    tunguska wrote: »
    Does the Indo have a deal for the results with the race series?

They didn't last year anyway, all the results were available online on the Dublin marathon website later in the day. Just the marathon results were in the Indo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,539 ✭✭✭Trampas

just over a week left for entry into this

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭OldBloke

Just signed up - glad I checked this thread or Id have missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Duzzie

Probably a silly question but I have signed up for this. The email confirming my entry said my number will be posted out to me, does that include my timing chip and goodie bag etc??

Also what is the story with getting there, is parking likely to be an issue or would I be better off trying public transport, which isnt so easy coming in from Wicklow.

4 stars (good)
    Duzzie wrote: »
    Probably a silly question but I have signed up for this. The email confirming my entry said my number will be posted out to me, does that include my timing chip and goodie bag etc??

Also what is the story with getting there, is parking likely to be an issue or would I be better off trying public transport, which isnt so easy coming in from Wicklow.

Timing chip will come with number, goodie bag will be given out after the race. As regards to driving, they advise public transport but that's not always an option, I think the race starts at 10 so if you're in the park before 9 you will most probably get parked somewhere.

Timing chip will come with number, goodie bag will be given out after the race. As regards to driving, they advise public transport but that's not always an option, I think the race starts at 10 so if you're in the park before 9 you will most probably get parked somewhere.

Thanks for the info, I'd guess that the carpark by the papal cross is probably the best place to aim for a space??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Thanks for the info, I'd guess that the carpark by the papal cross is probably the best place to aim for a space??

A good option is the car park in the War Memorial Gardens across the road from the park. I used it for the Half-Marathon last year.

The walk/jog to the start line was a perfect warm-up

• Advertisement

Thanks for the suggestion i'll look into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭meijin

4 stars (good)
    http://dublinmarathon.ie/news.php?article=402
    Last few places still available in Irish runner 5 mile - Entry open until 15th June.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Just registered for this.

Was going to register for the race series package but in reality I'll probably only be ready for the 5 mile, 10k and 10mile. Would be very doubtful of completing the half marathon.

Looking forward to it now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Lostnfound

4 stars (good)
    Has anyone received race numbers?, I don't always get my post (to my house, neighbour on hols gets mine and me his) so just on the look out for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Closing date for registration isn't until the 15th so I'd say numbers will be sent out after that date anyway.

I've recieved nothing yet. I have signed up for the whole series, I assume that they will send out a separate pack for each race rather that one pack for all the races?? Or will the same number / chip be for all the races in the series?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

3 stars (average)
    signed up for th 5, 10 & half marathon..skipping the run in July.
    I still got a discount by going for th 3 races

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Lostnfound

4 stars (good)
    I've recieved nothing yet. I have signed up for the whole series, I assume that they will send out a separate pack for each race rather that one pack for all the races?? Or will the same number / chip be for all the races in the series?

Any sign of race pack?

Lostnfound wrote: »
    Any sign of race pack?

No sign yet. The race is only 1 1/2 weeks away, I hope they haven't forgotten me. Anyone got their yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭OldBloke

I havent gotten mine yet either.

Advertisement