Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Runner 5 mile June 30 (marathon race series)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

3 stars (average)
    Nope haven't got mine yet either :(

Was tempted to say I got mine weeks ago and have you all worried :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Glad to hear its not just me who hasnt received the pack yet. Was only logging on here to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Duzzie

Got my number through this morning, all set to go now.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭OldBloke

Got my race pack this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭stevekavo

3 stars (average)
    Havent recieved anything yet. Hopefully its in todays post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭paulb79

got my number this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭dub8

I got mine as well today! just wondering if everyone just got there number for the 5 miler and not the rest? They all came together last year ! :)

dub8 wrote: »
    I got mine as well today! just wondering if everyone just got there number for the 5 miler and not the rest? They all came together last year ! :)

Mine was just for the 5 miler, Ive signed up for the whole series

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

dub8 wrote: »

Only the 5 mile numbers sent at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭stevekavo

3 stars (average)
    Got my number for the 5 mile also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

3 stars (average)
    Anybody doing the 5 mile in Phoenix Park this weekend as part of the Dublin Marathon Series? I missed this race last year but did the other races in the series and found them excellent. Very well organised. Hoping to get under 30 minutes for this one. What times are people hoping for? Is the course suitable to posting a Personal Best over the distance. From what I remember of Phoenix Park, there are some hills on the back stretch of the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

3 stars (average)
    Anybody doing the 5 mile in Phoenix Park this weekend as part of the Dublin Marathon Series? I missed this race last year but did the other races in the series and found them excellent. Very well organised. Hoping to get under 30 minutes for this one. What times are people hoping for? Is the course suitable to posting a Personal Best over the distance. From what I remember of Phoenix Park, there are some hills on the back stretch of the race.

There's one or two short steep hills this year with a gradual climb for the last 2 km or so. Plus it's a pretty crowded race so it might not be the best race for pb

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Lostnfound

4 stars (good)
    Is the Papal Cross car park accessible before the race?, got number and mentions shuttle bus from Parkgate Street.

Lostnfound wrote: »
    Is the Papal Cross car park accessible before the race?, got number and mentions shuttle bus from Parkgate Street.

Someone suggested parking in the War Memorial car park earlier in the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Don't think you'll get neat the papal cross car park to be honest. It's along part of the route so access probably wouldn't be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Lostnfound

4 stars (good)
    Duzzie wrote: »
    Someone suggested parking in the War Memorial car park earlier in the thread.

Had a look online and it mentioned opening hours from 10am Sat and Sunday so assumed that you couldn't park there before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Had a look online and it mentioned opening hours from 10am Sat and Sunday so assumed that you couldn't park there before.

I'm fairly sure that the car park is outside the locked gate so would be accessible before 10am.

I parked there before the half marathon last year and I arrived well before 10am and the car park was open.

Update - Just checked on google map, the car park is still accessible when the gate is locked.

huskerdu wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure that the car park is outside the locked gate so would be accessible before 10am.

I parked there before the half marathon last year and I arrived well before 10am and the car park was open.

Update - Just checked on google map, the car park is still accessible when the gate is locked.

Is this a public car park or is it part of War Memorial where you'd run the risk of getting clamped or ticketed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Duzzie wrote: »
    Is this a public car park or is it part of War Memorial where you'd run the risk of getting clamped or ticketed.

Its a public car park. Have a look at in in Google Maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SnailsPace

4 stars (good)
    For those of you who did this race last year, do you think the course is easier this year? i.e. more potential for a PB versus last year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

SnailsPace wrote: »
    For those of you who did this race last year, do you think the course is easier this year? i.e. more potential for a PB versus last year?

After covering this years course I'd say they are much the same, but with this years being slightly faster early on.

Both years the first 3 miles are very fast, almost no climbing.
    The "hills" in both years are within the last miles but the Kyber is probably more of a test than the 20m or so of a drag on the Upper Glen Rd. in the last mile this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,539 ✭✭✭Trampas

Road & Gate Closures, Saturday June 30th

In order to ensure the safety of participants in the Irish Runner 5 mile challenge the following restrictions will apply:

Gates to be closed:

Chapelizod Gate 10.00 am - 11.30 am (except hospital traffic)

Knockmaroon Gate 9.45 am - 11.30 am (complete closure)

Castleknock Gate 9.45 am - 10.45 am

Ashtown Gate 9.45 am - 10.45 am

Cabra Gate (Exit Only) 9.45 am - 10.45 am

Roads to be closed to vehicular traffic:

Main Road (Phoenix - Mountjoy) 9.45 am - 11.00 am

Ordnance Survey Road 9.45 am - 11.00 am

Acres Road 9.45 am - 11.00 am

Back Road (Mountjoy - Odd Lamp Rd) 9.30 am - 11.00 am

Upper Glen Road 9.45 am - 11.30 am

Military Road 9.45 am - 11.30 am

Main Road (Phoenix - Lord's Walk) 9.45 am - 11.00 am

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Is the kyber road the closed road thats half bike lane that goes from near the papal cross car park to the foot of the magazine fort? Little stream running alongside it. I'm not familiar with the park much and did a jog of the route but heard people saying it was a really tough road but I didn't think it was that bad so I'm unsure I was on the right rd

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Yep, that's the Kyber pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SnailsPace

4 stars (good)
    Does anyone know the specific time bands for each wave ?

I'll be coming in around 38mins and I'm wondering where I should position myself to avoid congestion??:)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 CS_Runner

SnailsPace wrote: »
    Does anyone know the specific time bands for each wave ?

I'll be coming in around 38mins and I'm wondering where I should position myself to avoid congestion??:)

5 min pace 10.00
    8 min pace 10.05
    15 min pace 10.10

• Registered Users Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Question on the waves and the clock ?

I know everyone gets an accurate time by their chip in the results. I'm wondering though is there 3 seperate clocks at the finish line, or would the clock be reset back 5 minutes after the expected time for that wave to have passed. It's just on a 50 minute race time starting in the proper wave 3 to have the clock showing over an hour at the finishing line seems a bit disheartening if you get me !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Your chip is only activated when you cross the start line.

Question on the waves and the clock ?

I know everyone gets an accurate time by their chip in the results. I'm wondering though is there 3 seperate clocks at the finish line, or would the clock be reset back 5 minutes after the expected time for that wave to have passed. It's just on a 50 minute race time starting in the proper wave 3 to have the clock showing over an hour at the finishing line seems a bit disheartening if you get me !

AFAIK, you will get 2 times, the gun time and chip time. The gun time is the time shown on the clock at the finish which is the the time after the start of the race, which is the same for everyone, whereas the chip tip is your actual run time. If you start in wave 3, the clock time will be your run time plus the stagger time for your wave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I'm wondering though is there 3 seperate clocks at the finish line, or would the clock be reset back 5 minutes after the expected time for that wave to have passed.

There's just one clock, and it isn't reset, so if you start in wave 3 and run 50 minutes it will be showing an hour when you finish.

Advertisement