Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attention to those struggling to pay their bills

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Why on earth are librarians paid €100k+ :confused:

Books are hard to move?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Someone has to know how to put the books in alphabetic order! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

ehm Dewey ;)?

Anyway I assume if the top librarian which is effectively the manager. If its the county librarian they would be the managers of all the public libraries in eg Dublin with the budgets of each branch and staff.

Its a lot of money but its not nearly as bad as people are making out

• Registered Users Posts: 23,984 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Has the troll gone now?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,770 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

hondasam wrote: »
    Could we not just get rid of the unions instead?
    You are assuming they would want to be re-hired.
    Refuse dole by all means but allow stamp money until they get another job.

That is all.

Unions are protected by the constitution, so no we cant just get rid of them not without a referendum!

And

Dismissal for trade union activity or membership is automatically unfair and an employee dismissed in such circumstances does not require any particular length of service in the job in order to enforce his/her rights.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/industrial_relations_and_trade_unions/trade_unions.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Has the troll gone now?:confused:

yes but there are 10 more ready to take his place :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

An intellectual heavyweight, aren't you? Keep slaving away to pay for the civil servants' holidays in the Bahamas. Good man.

And it's dickhead comments like that that will ensure people like you never get support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

ehm Dewey ;)? :confused:

Anyway I assume if the top librarian which is effectively the manager. If its the county librarian they would be the managers of all the public libraries in eg Dublin with the budgets of each branch and staff.

Its a lot of money but its not nearly as bad as people are making out

County Librarian, that explains it. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Doc wrote: »
    Yea its the civil servants pay increases thats crippling the economy.:rolleyes:

Hear hear. Lets ignore all the individual things which taken on their own are not the sole cause of our current financial situation and focus on the one thing which is solely responsible... and that is..... ummmmmm. I'll get back to you on that.

Hear hear. Lets ignore all the individual things which taken on their own are not the sole cause of our current financial situation and focus on the one thing which is solely responsible... and that is..... ummmmmm. I'll get back to you on that.

The single biggest problem with this island is the people, if we simply removed all the people, the island of Ireland would have no problems.

The only obstacle I see to the above solution is getting all the people to agree on a plan to leave!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

The single biggest problem with this island is the people, if we simply removed all the people, the island of Ireland would have no problems.

The only obstacle I see to the above solution is getting all the people to agree on a plan to leave!

Have a referendum. If people vote no, hold it again, until we get the right answer

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Kensington wrote: »
    We don't need a "right wing leader", just a TD who isn't a teacher, or who is married to a teacher, and has a bit of balls.

And his/her office don't cost the state alone, 17 Million a year!

Have a referendum. If people vote no, hold it again, until we get the right answer

I think we may better off proposing the question as
    Should People stay in ireland?

Then a No vote would mean success and after we have all left there would be no one to vote yes in a second referendum and the job is a good one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

true wrote: »
    best you keep running on the hamster wheel, as Labour need your taxes to fund their Union buddies luxurious lifestyles

Being suspicious of yet another PS bashing thread is the opposite of running on a hamster wheel.
    Umm, it's in the country's interest that these overpaid fat-cats have their wages slashed. They wouldn't last 2 seconds in the private sector. It's a minuscule minority who are benefiting from the misery of the vast majority of strained tax payers.

Not necessarily. You say the fatcats are overpaid. Have you investigated their job descriptions, and matched it with other similar paid jobs in different countries (and taken in to account differences in wages and standards of living)? Nope. Neither have I, and until I do, I'm not going to buy in to the whole PS are evil.
    Maybe it's those who defend the civil servants with the agenda? They have family working for government departments maybe? Strong leadership is what's needed to expel these parasites. What are we scared of? It's not like they have valued skill sets. They are glorified paper pushers. Anyone could do their jobs.

I have no (close) friend or family in the PS, I have no affinity to Labour and I am deeply suspicious of the motives of the unions. But again, I'm going to label a whole group of people without looking at the facts.
    Because it takes a lot of time to stack all the books in alphabetical order. :pac:

Yeah, the intern working in your local public library is getting 100k/year. I reckon the head librarian is probably involved in running a fairly large network of public libraries, which would include HR, budgeting, as well as knowing and developing your knowledge of UDC, DDC, MARC21, DC and so on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

sack 'em and rehire at 40k a year. job fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

bfocusd wrote: »
    I worked for a semi state body in 2010 and they create work for themselves, for instance, if the printer needed paper, I was not aloud to touch it, the procedure was to email I.T.

It was against the rules to turn on the printer, you had to again mail I.T.

Wtf is that all about?! In other offices I'd of done it myself I am more than capable to!

Presume there's a couple of potential scenarios that lead to this type of thinking — all the menial jobs that are really easy to do, while you could do them, you're on €Xk per year. Presumably the young fella in IT who's fetching paper is on less than that. So for their productivity, it's better if you send off an email & get told when it's sorted that spend half the morning looking for where the paper is kept, finding out how to fill it, etc. (Know plenty of people who would do this type of thing given the chance).

Also, presume there's plenty of people who won't find out how to do it, they're just jam the stuff in until it breaks & then someone has to be called to repair it. OK, loading paper probably shouldn't fall into this, but if you've ever worked in any type of IT support, you'll know there's plenty of people who you could've sorted their problem in 2minutes if they'd just asked you sooner.

Regarding not being allowed move reams of paper because of H&S, that's just the dept trying not to get sued. Think it's a joke that that's the state of the country at the moment, but that's the legal system's fault (awarding big sums to idiots), rather than the public sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭tony007

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    Pretty much every capitalist country has nationalised companies at one point or another, surely a captain of industry such as yourself realises that?

If they nationalize a debt ridden institution to prop up a system, then you can't call it ''capitalist''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

tony007 wrote: »
    If they nationalize a debt ridden institution to prop up a system, then you can't call it ''capitalist''

Yes you can. There's a mistaken idea that capitalism never utilises state institutions or interventions. They will - and have done so - if it suits their end goal (more profits). Even free trade has rarely, if ever, been truly free.

The government nationalised the banks in order to protect their (ie, the banks) interests, because they felt that it served the country better to have a working bank system. Of course, you could also see it as a nice descendent of the leaders of Labour finally getting their ex-Stalinist ideal being realised. I don't think so, though: I think they've just switched their ideology.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,162 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

THIS IS MY SENSATIONALIST RANT AND ANYONE WHO DISAGREES WITH ME IS A FAT CAT PUBLIC SERVANT LEECHING THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS NATION!!!

Yes yes we've heard all before and its getting tiresome. Keep it to yourself next time eh? Or go to the politics forum. Yawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

OP has been banned for consistently soapboxing and rudeness to other posters and general uncivil posts.

You can hold right wing views and post here, you can hold left wing views and post here. It's when the discussion gets uncivil threads get shut down.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement