Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attention to those struggling to pay their bills

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭b.harte

Misleading thread title is misleading.
    What has this got to do with people struggling to pay bills?
    Unless you want do arrange for the public service fat cats to give short term credit facilities to those struggling?
    Or, maybe get those working in the P.S. to indirectly pay for those with low/no means through increases in taxes and levies and a loss of some income.
    Oh wait, THEY ALREADY DO!!!
    As do the private sector.
    Enough of the P.S bashing B.S. unless you can come up with a sensible solution.

F.Y.I. I'm struggling to pay my bills, but it's not the P.S. workers fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

With the household charge, rising fuel prices and VAT increases, I'm sure many of you are feeling the squeeze. Well, you'll be glad to know that Ireland is not broke. We need to the extra money to reward our glorious civil servants with pay increases. Source

Now before the token bleeding-heart, whose daddy probably works in the Dept of Finance, comes on here to cry "it's not the front-line staff getting these perks!" I say to you - we realize this. It's the fat cats who are already on outrageous wages getting the pay increases. When will Ireland get a right-wing leader with balls to stand up to these leeches? Sucking the lifeblood of the country as they hold us to ransom at knife-point. Fire them if they won't accept average wages. There are plenty of unemployed people willing to replace them. Incompetent, paper pushers who run crying to their employer if they are asked to do something they suspect is not in their contract, whether it be stapling two pages together or filling in a form.

Keep running on the hamster wheel, folks. Labour need your taxes to fund their Union buddies luxurious lifestyles. Great country this is - where a librarian earns more than the Prime Minister of Spain.
    Freddie59, welcome back!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

I'm going out on a limb here but I don't believe that the OP likes Public Service workers & despises their Unions.
    Lets call it a hunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Hey, I see a troll!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

true wrote: »
    nor do they deserve double the sickies the private sector gets, the longer holidays, the better pension, the shorter working hours etc.
    You are missing out, you should see your union.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

WTF has this got to do with paying your bills?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Another day, another teacher bashing thread. Do love how this one tried to be subtle for....oh...a few sentences....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Kensington wrote: »
    We don't need a "right wing leader", just a TD who isn't a teacher, or who is married to a teacher, and has a bit of balls.
    I'd seig heil to that fuhrer. Well I wouldn't as I'm not a blueshirt but as much as the dedicated public workers might not like it, Smash does have a point. Everyone can see the public sector smirking out from under Croke Park while the rest of the country goes into spasms and the economy contracts because of new taxes. It was a bad idea then and its a bad idea now.

How about we cut the cloth according to our means, bite the bullet, and take a sharp knife to the huge middle management in places like the HSE and civil service. Subcontractors, quangos, consultants, librarians earning more than the Prime Minister of Spain, a country of 46 million people. Damn the strikes and damn the political favouritism that has landed us in this mess, which isn't politics at all but interlocking rings of extortion worthy of any schoolyard.

Spending went through the roof during the bubble. Spending hasn't dropped. I'll pay my taxes merrily but you can be damn sure I'll demand value for money, which I'm not getting now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

An intellectual heavyweight, aren't you? Keep slaving away to pay for the civil servants' holidays in the Bahamas. Good man.

ha ha, so going by this quote, Mr "union", either A) doesn't work and is being paid by our tax money, or B) doesn't live in Ireland therefore doesn't contribute to our taxes

i wonder if we can get a happy day for boards.ie or maybe just After Hours, where any depressing/annoying sh1te like this isn't allowed be posted for 24 hours,

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

These people are leeches

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

smash wrote: »
    WTF has this got to do with paying your bills?

well if the state wasnt struggling to increase revenue to narrow the 15 billion gap between tax receipts and state payments we wouldnt be looking at increased taxes, water charges, household charges etc.

aside from the banking fiasco this state has a current expenditure 15 billion gap between what it spends and what it takes in. If this gap didnt exist we wouldnt be stung left right and centre with taxes be they stealth or otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

don ramo wrote: »
    i wonder if we can get a happy day for boards.ie or maybe just After Hours, where any depressing/annoying sh1te like this isn't allowed be posted for 24 hours,
    Or that those on a mission spend less time on boards trying to fight the good fight with people who arent going to do anything obviously as they are the type of people who spend time on forums :pac: or don't care.

Maybe I'll start a thread based merely on my own opinions, obviously backed up by some vague pseudo activist quotes, say everything i a mess and demand you not only to do something about it, get angry but also agree with me.

..or I could do something that would make a difference like posting in the comments of the Daily Mail about how everythings gone down the swany.
    wo0t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭bfocusd

There are many people being paid for doing nothing in government positions, I worked for a semi state body in 2010 and they create work for themselves, for instance, if the printer needed paper, I was not aloud to touch it, the procedure was to email I.T. They would then mail facilities who would bring the block of paper to the required floor as I.T. Were not aloud to carry it, they hadn't sufficient training! Then I.T. Would fill the printer and I could collect my documents!

It was against the rules to turn on the printer, you had to again mail I.T.

Wtf is that all about?! In other offices I'd of done it myself I am more than capable to!

If sh!t hit the fan and someone screwed up the only thing ever said was try better next time! There was never any disciplinary action no matter how bad people were because no one has the authority.. That's it all over! No one has the right to tell people off because they are all in it together..

Personally I hated working there, I can't sit back for three hours waiting for I.T. To arrive to turn on the printer!

It's just one joke after another and very frustrating but the sector I am in has been known to be like this for a very long time.

people I know whom worked in other areas during the boom, often told me if how they would receive an email, open the document and print, thats all they done a few times a day, they were on in excess of 45k a year!

It cannot be justified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Don't SIPTU want to build a new union headquarters on the Liberty Hall site? Skyscrapers aren't cheap!! Run faster hamsters.

Way to alienate, well, everyone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Nobody can blame a PS employee from hiding behind the CPA, they're not idiots, they know it was the deal of the century.
    Those of us in the private sector are envious that we weren't in the same position to strike such a deal.

The only sanction they will suffer is zero public sympathy when the inevitable cuts & strikes fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    Those of us in the private sector are envious that we weren't in the same position to strike such a deal.
    If those of us in the private sector had tried it the company would have gone bankrupt and there would be jobs for none. It just takes a lot longer to bankrupt a country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

i often wonder if the government did slash the PS pay bill and erased their pensions ect ect... and the country is still in shyte whos fault would it be then

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

syklops wrote: »
    Way to alienate, well, everyone.

Except Gerbils

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

My girlfriends father would have been classed as a senior civil servant. He retired a couple of years ago on a big pension, golden handshake all the usual perks. However, he still works for them part time, because apparently no one else has his "expertise". Now, in his defense, he is the diligent, straight as an arrow type, but this situation is plainly ridiculous. Paying retired people to do the work that current employees can't do, or wont do for some reason or another is idiotic. Somehow private companies always seem to manage to avoid these type of situations. For example they ensure that a replacement has been brought up to speed before the first one retires. People don't retire on a whim in the vast majority of cases. This guy retired almost 3 years ago, not yesterday! The civil service seems to exist largely to haemorrhage money as far as i can tell. Efficiency is a dirty word to them.
    Presumably if this guy gets hit by a car the fúcking country will have to stop.:confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Now before the token bleeding-heart, whose daddy probably works in the Dept of Finance, comes on here to cry "it's not the front-line staff getting these perks!" I say to you - we realize this.

Well, as you are the one who said it i guess you are the bleeding-heart.

Hope your daddy enjoys his job with the Dept of Finance.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

anyone that is in a union in the public sector should be fired.
    Anyone that disagree's with the above statement should be fired.

IN fact I would fire every single person that works in the public sector and then re-hire them all for half the salary.

If they don't like it they can starve to death.
    They should also be refused dole

that is all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Stiffler2 wrote: »

IN fact I would fire every single person that works in the public sector and then re-hire them all for half the salary.

that is all

i get the feeling you dont work in the public sector?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

davet82 wrote: »
    i get the feeling you dont work in the public sector?

I get the feeling he is a big Jeremy Clarkson fan.

You know your brand of trolling is outdated when a middle aged well to do English tosser has already ploughed the furrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

An intellectual heavyweight, aren't you? Keep slaving away to pay for the civil servants' holidays in the Bahamas. Good man.

Or how about you just get a sense of humour and save me the bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

never mind /thread, /country, we're too dumb and getting dumber by the minute

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

that is all

In one post you've gone from firing all public sector employees who are union members, to firing all public sector employees regardless of whether they're in a union or not, to starving them all to death. I know that people are supposed to get more right-wing as they get older, but I didn't realise that it happens so quickly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

Doc wrote: »
    I'm sure there are people in the public service that don't deserve the pay they receive. I know that there are in the privet too. But to beat them all with the one big stick and say they are all bad is stupid.

33% of them are incompetent, according to recent reports

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

that is all

Could we not just get rid of the unions instead?
    You are assuming they would want to be re-hired.
    Refuse dole by all means but allow stamp money until they get another job.

That is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

Why on earth are librarians paid €100k+ :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Why on earth are librarians paid €100k+ :confused:

Because it takes a lot of time to stack all the books in alphabetical order. :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement