Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overeem Pulled Before Hearing. JDS V Mir

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

He was clearly pulled as they realise no loop hole is going to be found here and they don't want to look bad for looking for 1. This way they can pretend that they care!

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

Overeem is a cheat.... was kinda hopin the UFC could sue the **** out of em and make him paaaay!! coz I was lookin forward to this one... wanted JDS to knock the crap out of em

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5G4HxrVx20A

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Can someone please even tell me wtf Overeem has even done in MMA?

He's beaten NO-ONE of note.

He got the crap kicked out of him in Pride by anyone half decent, he got out struck by Werdum in that fight and he beat up Brock Lesnar who had no business in MMA (title shot after beating Heath Herring against a guy who walks around ~100 pounds lighter than him?) and who had 12 inches of colon removed.

He's crap and it's obvious he was on something seeing how he looked in Pride.
    Plus he likes to assault women.

Bye bye cheat.

AlistairOvereem122.jpg

ufc141_weighin_032_large.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,164 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

jayteecork wrote: »
    Can someone please even tell me wtf Overeem has even done in MMA?

He's beaten NO-ONE of note.

He got the crap kicked out of him in Pride by anyone half decent, he got out struck by Werdum in that fight and he beat up Brock Lesnar who had no business in MMA (title shot after beating Heath Herring against a guy who walks around ~100 pounds lighter than him?) and who had 12 inches of colon removed.

He's crap and it's obvious he was on something seeing how he looked in Pride.
    Plus he likes to assault women.

Bye bye cheat.

I was kinda with you until you called him "crap"

I've been saying for years that he's over rated. People were calling him the uncrowned No.1 HW in the world for a while, which is and was bullsh*t because he'd never even fought a Top 10 HW.

However, he is not "crap". He is a top guy and in the UFC had a chance to prove himself.

Pity he decided to cheat though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Kev M

MrStuffins wrote: »

Pity he decided to cheat though!

Getting caught historically hasn't stopped plenty of other 'cheaters' from coming back and doing very well.

The test for Overeem will ultimately be whether or not he can come back and pass drug tests because of the scrutiny he'll be under.

I hope he comes back next year 300lbs shredded and passes the tests with flying colours :D

• Advertisement

Kev M wrote: »
    Getting caught historically hasn't stopped plenty of other 'cheaters' from coming back and doing very well.

The test for Overeem will ultimately be whether or not he can come back and pass drug tests because of the scrutiny he'll be under.

I hope he comes back next year 300lbs shredded and passes the tests with flying colours :D

Well if he does he won't be competing in the UFC, with 265lbs being the HW limit and all.

But yeah, am I right in thinking that those who failed drugs tests in the past are required to be tested at every event? Or at least where the commissions "randomly" test, those randomly tested are indeed random but they make sure to test former failers?

Well if he does he won't be competing in the UFC, with 265lbs being the HW limit and all.

That was a joke.. implying he could put his time off to good use :)

I think it will be much more difficult for overeem than it was for sonnen, carwin and even sherk to get back into mma after his suspension (if the ufc have him back that is), basically because he's just so jacked. He won't come back smaller. When the average fan looks at him, the steroid thing is just something that won't go away. Maybe if he looked more like Carwin it wouldn't be a problem :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭roro1neil0

http://www.mmamania.com/2012/4/26/2977755/video-alistair-overeem-testosterone-doctor-molina-texas-ufc-tra-telligman

watch this video. it's from AO's video documentary website 'the reem'.

shows allistar getting some shot from the doctor. he obviously doesn't know it's got testosterone in it.

now, maybe he was juicing behind the scenes, but this video supports his claim that all he did wrong was get a 'painkiller' that turned out to have T in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,168 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

now, maybe he was juicing behind the scenes, but this video supports his claim that all he did wrong was get a 'painkiller' that turned out to have T in it.

Still doesn't explain why he travelling from vegas to texas to get some anti-inflamatories.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭p to the e

Kev M wrote: »
    I think it will be much more difficult for overeem than it was for sonnen, carwin and even sherk to get back into mma after his suspension (if the ufc have him back that is), basically because he's just so jacked. He won't come back smaller. When the average fan looks at him, the steroid thing is just something that won't go away. Maybe if he looked more like Carwin it wouldn't be a problem :rolleyes:

Carwin has never tested positive for steroids.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    Still doesn't explain why he travelling from vegas to texas to get some anti-inflamatories.

How did the quote in your reply quote get attributed to me? :confused:

Probably the best UFC Trailer he's done. Awesome angle and soundtrack.
    JDS-Mir

• Registered Users Posts: 39,168 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

p to the e wrote: »
    Carwin has never tested positive for steroids.
    Where he'd he say Carwin did.
    He said if he looked like carwin the issue would go away after the ban. Like it did for Chael for example. But because Overeem is competely jacked a casual fan will still assume he is juiced up.

Lad's as the charter say's-Let's not discuss any fighters who have not proven positive for substance abuse

I wonder will Overeem ever fight in the UFC again-and if so how stringent will he be watched, his size is almost definitely going to go down if he stop's using the substances.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,432 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

The problem for Overeem is that because he cheated, he'll be forever known for that. Even if he stops using steroids and is as clean as a whistle and was to clean out the division, people will always have that in the back of their minds. In a lot of people's minds he'll never be a legitimate champion. He has tainted his career and it's more than likely what he'll be remembered for.

I dunno about that. There's plenty of instances of fighters failing tests and then going on to be just as they were before. Sherk, Barnett, Sylvia, Diaz etc.

I think this is because UFC (for example) never ever talk about a guy failing a test after they have served their bans. This coupled with the fact that MMA is simply not reported in the mainstream sports media means that UFC can mould and shape their universe the way they want. if they don't mention it, it's not that it didn't happen but it's no longer an issue (or at least one UFC want to highlight).

Eventually this will all change when MMA is a real mainstream sport. Look at Dwayne Chambers right now, he's still being crucified for failing drugs tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Spideog Rua

Dean09 wrote: »
    The problem for Overeem is that because he cheated, he'll be forever known for that. Even if he stops using steroids and is as clean as a whistle and was to clean out the division, people will always have that in the back of their minds. In a lot of people's minds he'll never be a legitimate champion. He has tainted his career and it's more than likely what he'll be remembered for.

I understand where you are coming from, but he didnt actually test positive for any PEDs.

I dunno about that. There's plenty of instances of fighters failing tests and then going on to be just as they were before. Sherk, Barnett, Sylvia, Diaz etc.

I think this is because UFC (for example) never ever talk about a guy failing a test after they have served their bans. This coupled with the fact that MMA is simply not reported in the mainstream sports media means that UFC can mould and shape their universe the way they want. if they don't mention it, it's not that it didn't happen but it's no longer an issue (or at least one UFC want to highlight).

Exactly. But I see it being much more difficult for Overeem. The way he looks means that the steroid question is never off the table and its the first thing so many even new fans comment on. Sure his name was overoid before he ever failed anything. This isn't a problem for returning guys who are 'less jacked'.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,432 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Eventually this will all change when MMA is a real mainstream sport. Look at Dwayne Chambers right now, he's still being crucified for failing drugs tests.
    I know where you're comin from but with Overeem he had so much hype around him and was set to take over the UFC heavyweight division and he disappointed a lot of fans after just one fight in the UFC. His next fight was the title fight as you know and was being billed as one of the fights of the year. Everyone was looking forward to this fight.
    I think realistically if he wants to keep any credibility he needs to wait about a year before fighting again, and even then he shouldn't be dumped back into a no1 contender fight. He needs to win fans back and prove over and over again that he's clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭p to the e

Dean09 wrote: »
    I know where you're comin from but with Overeem he had so much hype around him and was set to take over the UFC heavyweight division and he disappointed a lot of fans after just one fight in the UFC. His next fight was the title fight as you know and was being billed as one of the fights of the year. Everyone was looking forward to this fight.
    I think realistically if he wants to keep any credibility he needs to wait about a year before fighting again, and even then he shouldn't be dumped back into a no1 contender fight. He needs to win fans back and prove over and over again that he's clean.

He's going to have to do something exceptional to try and prove he's a clean fighter. There were always rumours and in-jokes about Overroids steroid use and it is almost as if everyone was just waiting for him to be caught. I would honestly like to see him get some great fights but as you say he's going to have to prove he deserves them.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Poor old Linford Christie never hears the end of it either.

And don't get me started on Ben Johnson.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jossul1179

Overeem has been cheating for years. That is why he likes to fight in Japan. They don't do the same amount of testing there. He kept saying that it was the horse meat, but c'mon he looks like a body builder. They finally caught him, and they should make an example of him.

simpsons-villagers-pitchfork-torches-275x189.jpg

Make an example of him, lynch him, burn him.....moral outrage!!!!

I'm moderately suprised that the mods have allowed this to continue as long as it has considering allegations of cheating, using PEDs and fighter bashing are against the forum charter.

There is no evidence yet ie he hasn't tested positive for anything.

You DO realise he failed a pre-fight drug test right? Failed, like, the opposite of passed!

simpsons-villagers-pitchfork-torches-275x189.jpg

Make an example of him, lynch him, burn him.....moral outrage!!!!

I'm moderately suprised that the mods have allowed this to continue as long as it has considering allegations of cheating, using PEDs and fighter bashing are against the forum charter.

Get a grip-he has failed testing, what exactly has yet to come out but it is clear that the UFC accept it is undefendable.

If it comes out that he is cleared we will go back to regular no accusation rules. It won't though so don't worry.

You DO realise he failed a pre-fight drug test right? Failed, like, the opposite of passed!

What PED was he caught for?

cowzerp wrote: »
    Get a grip-he has failed testing, what exactly has yet to come out but it is clear that the UFC accept it is undefendable.

If it comes out that he is cleared we will go back to regular no accusation rules. It won't though so don't worry.

I'm not worried at all. The moderation is as retarded as the discussion itself. He didnt get caught for any PEDs, yet you like everyone else here is happy enough to break the rules in the charter. carry on :rolleyes:

What PED was he caught for?

It has yet to be revealed publically what exactly he used to enhance his performance, but what is for sure is that he used something to enhance his performance, hence the failed drugs test.
    I'm not worried at all. The moderation is as retarded as the discussion itself. He didnt get caught for any PEDs, yet you like everyone else here is happy enough to break the rules in the charter. carry on :rolleyes:

He failed a drugs test though, did he not?

Your argument is stupid! It's like you're saying "Yes he was convicted of murder. But you can't call him a murderer unless you know what the murder weapon was!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

He failed a drugs test though, did he not?

Technically, no. His samples showed an abnormal T:E ratio. It never stated what caused the change. He never tested positive for any PED. The evidence at had suggests PED but it's not the only explanation.

Unfortunately Overeem doesn't seem to be able to explain the abnormal result which leads us all the speculate PED. At the end of the day he didn't fail a drug test.

To use your scenario. The murder weapon was found on him but that doesn't mean he used it. It's highly likely but not conclusive.

• Advertisement

It has yet to be revealed publically what exactly he used to enhance his performance, but what is for sure is that he used something to enhance his performance, hence the failed drugs test.

I'm embarrassed for you. Pure speculation on your part.

The only fact here is that he was denied a licence. He hasn't been banned because he didn't test positive for using PEDs.

Your argument is stupid! It's like you're saying "Yes he was convicted of murder. But you can't call him a murderer unless you know what the murder weapon was!!!"

No, it's not even similar. Carry on ;)

Advertisement