Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Injured child gets 11.5 million euros

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Let me get this right.

Mother drives her child UNINSURED, crashes the car which was her fault. Child gets injured.

Grandfather of child sues the mother and the "Motor Insurers bureau of Ireland" has to pay the bill.

Now it would be one thing if it was a 3rd party but the kid and grandfather are part of the same family and its quite clear that the settlement money is not going to only go to the kid.

You can guarantee that the mother (the one who caused the accident) will see a decent amount of this cash. So basically she is a millionaire because she crashed the car and crippled her son.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Let me get this right.

Mother drives her child UNINSURED, crashes the car which was her fault. Child gets injured.

Grandfather of child sues the mother and the "Motor Insurers bureau of Ireland" has to pay the bill.

Now it would be one thing if it was a 3rd party but the kid and grandfather are part of the same family and its quite clear that the settlement money is not going to only go to the kid.

You can guarantee that the mother (the one who caused the accident) will see a decent amount of this cash. So basically she is a millionaire because she crashed the car and crippled her son.

at every other motorists expense. The child deserves help and I feel really sorry for everyone (except the mother) but not one single cent should come out of my pocket or yours to pay for that childs care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

Ok I give up! Yes the mother set this all up, drive uninsured, crippled her son all to get her hands on a few million.

And I wonder why this country is wrecked, if the posters are a reflection of the intelligence of this country we are only at the start of the downward spiral.

at every other motorists expense. The child deserves help and I feel really sorry for everyone (except the mother) but not one single cent should come out of my pocket or yours to pay for that childs care.

Ok then as you don't want any of your money to help this child, how long will he live without medical care. You really must not have read that post before you posted it. I really give up. How long will this child survive with no state money or insurance money to provide medical care.

Ok then as you don't want any of your money to help this child, how long will he live without medical care. You really must not have read that post before you posted it. I really give up. How long will this child survive with no state money or insurance money to provide medical care.

the child should get help from our public healthcare system and every cent his mother has.

I said not a cent based on insurance, my debate about paying for public healthcare is not for this thread

• Advertisement

the child should get help from our public healthcare system and every cent his mother has.

I said not a cent based on insurance, my debate about paying for public healthcare is not for this thread

And most of this award will go into the public health care system, or provide care for the child outside the public system thereby reducing the strain on that system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

And most of this award will go into the public health care system, or provide care for the child outside the public system thereby reducing the strain on that system.

Your wasting you time here, the ignorance shown by some posters is truly breathtaking.....

A sad reflection on Irish society.

gerryo777 wrote: »
    Your wasting you time here, the ignorance shown by some posters is truly breathtaking.....

A sad reflection on Irish society.

I sadly have to agree, facts and the truth just get in the way of righteous indignation. I don't know why it surprises me.

I sadly have to agree, facts and the truth just get in the way of righteous indignation. I don't know why it surprises me.

We've always been fairly good at 'the auld begrudgery' here.

No money would compensate for what happened to that young lad.

Sure leave them at it, it must make them feel a bit better about their own sad existence. I hope they never fall off that high horse they're sitting on.

a) most , not all, id be willing to bet a brand new car 'for transporting the son' will be bought and the house will be done up to make it more 'accessible' (accessibility options include a new kitchen, new sofa and a fancy extension picked by the mother)

b) why should my insurance premium suffer for the mistake of an idiot mother

• Advertisement

a) most , not all, id be willing to bet a brand new car 'for transporting the son' will be bought and the house will be done up to make it more 'accessible' (accessibility options include a new kitchen, new sofa and a fancy extension picked by the mother)

Yup sorry I did not understand that, this mother crippled her child for a new car and sofa.

The money is held by the court and will only provide for what was put in the care report, but no the mother will get a new Porsche four wheel drive of course.

Stop showing your ignorance, it's getting embarrassing!

Yup sorry I did not understand that, this mother crippled her child for a new car and sofa.

The money is held by the court and will only provide for what was put in the care report, but no the mother will get a new Porsche four wheel drive of course.

at no point did I ever say she did it intentionally , that sarcastic argument has been trotted out multiple times in this thread, nobody ever said she meant to do it.

I didnt know that, I hope its adhered to strictly, and I hope the mother never has 2 cents to rub together ever again. Every bit of her money and time should be dedicated to offering that child the best care possible as some paltry way of an apology for what shes done.

at no point did I ever say she did it intentionally , that sarcastic argument has been trotted out multiple times in this thread, nobody ever said she meant to do it.

I didnt know that, I hope its adhered to strictly, and I hope the mother never has 2 cents to rub together ever again. Every bit of her money and time should be dedicated to offering that child the best care possible as some paltry way of an apology for what shes done.

While you may not have intended to say she intentionally did it, that is the way your post came across.

It is also been stated over and over that MIBI have a judgement against the mother for the full amount. If she ever comes into money they will get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Which mistake are you referring to?

If you or others start having crashes, then others premiums suffer also.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 extremphonixx

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Does it not? Then how come several times in the last 24 years i have seen drivers half way across the centre line on roads? Would it be lack of concentration? Or is it that they like driving on the wrong side?

oh you think, really???? more likely falling asleep, on the mobile, lighting a smioke, been drunk!! come on, if you are a driver, you know that a car will not go to the far side of the road because you breifly look into a field at some cow, horse or goat, as the mother has claimed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭For Paws

It seems that the only thing that all posters agree on are

(1) The child concerned has all our sympathy and best wishes.

(2) The MIBI system of payouts needs reform.

Scenario A. = Two cars owned & driven by Comphrehensively insured persons collide with each. Both cars are damaged, and both drivers injured.
    Result ; Each Insurer pays out for the damages & injuries sustained.

Scenario B. = Two cars owned & driven by non-insured persons collide with each other. Both cars are damaged, and both drivers injured.
    Result ; MIBI pays out for the damages & injuries sustained.

For Paws wrote: »
    It seems that the only thing that all posters agree on are

(1) The child concerned has all our sympathy and best wishes.

(2) The MIBI system of payouts needs reform.

Scenario A. = Two cars owned & driven by Comphrehensively insured persons collide with each. Both cars are damaged, and both drivers injured.
    Result ; Each Insurer pays out for the damages & injuries sustained.

Scenario B. = Two cars owned & driven by non-insured persons collide with each other. Both cars are damaged, and both drivers injured.
    Result ; MIBI pays out for the damages & injuries sustained.

Just to explain how MIBI works, if a person claims from MIBI they nominate an insurance company to deal with the matter.

The reason for MIBI is to protect third party persons who are injured by a uninsured driver.

In you above examples you are assuming that both parties are negligent. In most RTA's only one party is at fault. It would be rare that both parties are at fault but lets just say that both are 50% liable then each would most likely have 50% contrib do would only get half of the compensation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

oh you think, really???? more likely falling asleep, on the mobile, lighting a smioke, been drunk!! come on, if you are a driver, you know that a car will not go to the far side of the road because you breifly look into a field at some cow, horse or goat, as the mother has claimed

Well many of the drivers in this country dont seem to know much about driving. But the ones on here are all experts though, thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭noddyone2

Just imagine this scenario: The poor child only lives for a few more years. What happens to the leftover money? Just asking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

noddyone2 wrote: »
    Just imagine this scenario: The poor child only lives for a few more years. What happens to the leftover money? Just asking.

it goes into his estate. the MIBI can (I am reliably informed) make a claim against the estate to recover the money - they already have a judgement against the mother, so if she ever wins the lotto, they get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭Hamilcar

tbh wrote: »
    it goes into his estate. the MIBI can (I am reliably informed) make a claim against the estate to recover the money - they already have a judgement against the mother, so if she ever wins the lotto, they get it.

What are the odds of her winning the Lotto Twice?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

I wonder when the mother is picking up the 2012 BMW X5, with wheelchair access for the child of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Motorist wrote: »
    I wonder when the mother is picking up the 2012 BMW X5, with wheelchair access for the child of course.
    Its an unfortunate soul that feels jealous of the mother of a severely disabled child.

dvpower wrote: »
    Its an unfortunate soul that feels jealous of the mother of a severely disabled child.

It's an unfortunate soul that fails to see the moral dubiousness of a situation where a person who has utter contempt for the law and causes a severe accident with devastating consequences for a child manages to enjoy the fringe benefits of a back of an envelope 11.5 million award calculation, and seems to have faced no criminal charges. And all of this at immense cost to every law-abiding motorist.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

A person who will cost me the price of two pints and I never even met the bitch. :(

In her media appearances last week (and in a hospital some years ago) she appeared rather permatanned....... that insurance money musta gone on sunbeds instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

I still would :pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Motorist wrote: »
    And all of this at immense cost to every law-abiding motorist.
    Sponge Bob wrote: »
    A person who will cost me the price of two pints and I never even met the bitch. :(

MIBI wrote:
    "We have had sufficient funds earmarked for this claim and it won't have any effect on people's (insurance) premiums," John Casey, chief executive of the MIBI told the Irish Independent last night.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    In her media appearances last week (and in a hospital some years ago) she appeared rather permatanned....... that insurance money musta gone on sunbeds instead.
    The jealousy is strong in this one.

MIBI wrote: »
    "We have had sufficient funds earmarked for this claim and it won't have any effect on people's (insurance) premiums," John Casey, chief executive of the MIBI told the Irish Independent last night.

http://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/surviving-the-recession/uninsured-motorists-load-40-on-to-cost-of-premiums-2093471.html

The very same Mr. Casey of the MIBI
    "

He estimated that claims involving uninsured drivers are loading €40 per premium on honest drivers every year.

The MIBI is responsible for compensating victims of accidents caused by uninsured and unidentified vehicles.

All insurers pay into it -- a cost borne by honest motorists "

So is it admitted that uninsured drivers load €40 to premiums (the average uninsured driver claim is just €24k) , yet a record claim for 11.5 million for an uninsured driver has no effect whatsoever on premiums...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

Not one post on this thread refers to how the child feels. It's all about the mother..

So how would you feel waking up every morning looking in to the eyes of the person who had so little respect for you, they brought you in a car without insurance and ended up crippling you?

Or will having any amount of money in the bank make it easier...?

Advertisement