Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Injured child gets 11.5 million euros

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Hayte

boobar wrote: »
    Completely agree with this post, the young guy is quadraplegic now as a result of the accident. 11 million seems a lot of money, but no amount of money can give this youg guy back the life that he had ahead of him.

As regards the point about the mother being uninsured, regulations needed to be tightened up here to lessen the exposure. I think this is currently being looked at.

I've worked on cases where the plaintiffs have had horrific, life changing injuries like this one. In those cases we had actuary reports so the use for the money has already been planned long into the future until such reasonable time as the child is expected to die. Its mainly for long term professional medical care and medical technology that would enable them to lead as close to a normal life as is possible (prosthesis, movement aids etc.).

It sounds like a lot of money when you just say 11 million but its to cover the rest of this lad's expected life, with needs far greater than you or I. Its not alot of money.

I have sometimes been surprised at how the award can differ so greatly but its based around life expectancy and how much professional care is required and for how long. Infants involved in horrific accidents that are expected to die young probably won't get large awards, because the cost of professional care into the future won't be high.

Whichever way you look at it, its a tragedy. Has the child been made a ward of court? It would appear so if the award is paid into court and managed by it. (Edit: confirmed above. Thanks)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 extremphonixx

DonQuay1 wrote: »
    Actually, my thoughts turn to her driving ability and her honesty.

- Did she just have one lesson (and was not capable to drive at all - as a result)? and any learner driver shouldn't be on the road without another person with a full licence beside them anyway?

- Has she ever done a test and if not - how many years has she been driving without doing one? If she has never done one - is this because she would not be capable of passing? and any learner driver shouldn't be on the road without another person with a full licence beside them anyway?

- Did she fail her test so is not capable of driving and any learner driver shouldn't be on the road without another person with a full licence beside them anyway?

Why are we to believe someone that who got behind the wheel of a 'lethal weapon' - after breaking a number of laws to do so - is telling the truth about her 6 year old 'distracting' her? The child can hardly say 'that's what happened'!!!

Was she reaching for a smoke? Fiddling with the radio? Or from my personal obs. on the Mickey Marbh Dual Carraigeway most days of the week -with infants strapped in and not ...... doing make-up whilst driving at speed!??!! Blaming a six year old and casually posing for photos whilst extolling the qualities of the poor child whom you've very badly crippled for life is also a tad sick!!

indeed!!! As a motorist a "momentary lapse in concentration" does not bring the car to the other side of the road!!! also how did the booster seat fail?? theses questions remain unanswered!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

firedancer wrote: »
    as i previously said if she had been insured this thread would've died along time ago. the accident was going to happen whether she had insurance or not. the problem that i and alot of posters have is this. she broke the law by making a clear cut decision to drive with no insurance. had she paused for min to think" i dont have insurance i cant drive, i wont drive" then yes this would've been avoided. she knowingly and willfully drove her car when she knew it was illegal.
    my only problem has always been this. she took a gamble and drove without insurance. if she had insurance then i'd have a pinch of sympathy for her. but the fact is she made a deliberate decision to break the law which led to tragic consequences. unfortunately when people like her deliberately and knowingly break the law it's always the innocent who come out the worst. she has ruined someone else's life because of her selfish actions. shes no-one else to blame but herself. the fact that it was her sons life she ruined doesn't wash with me. she ruined A life sorry i'll rephrase that shes ruined alot of lives incl her parents, husbands ( hope he got some sense and left her) the people she crashed into theres a whole list. i couldn't care about hers. and yet most of you dont see a problem.:rolleyes:

the only problem is people like you who don't recognise she was a mother who was only taking her child to school, like any good parent, and that insured or not, that accident would still have happened.
    You have the law on your side, but morally speaking your words are deplorable. Righteousness will turn and bite you some day, are you so perfect?
    do you have insurance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

Maudi wrote: »
    do you have insurance?

I cancelled mine first thing this morning;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

as i previously said if she had been insured this thread would've died along time ago. the accident was going to happen whether she had insurance or not. the problem that i and alot of posters have is this. she broke the law by making a clear cut decision to drive with no insurance. had she paused for min to think" i dont have insurance i cant drive, i wont drive" then yes this would've been avoided. she knowingly and willfully drove her car when she knew it was illegal.
    my only problem has always been this. she took a gamble and drove without insurance. if she had insurance then i'd have a pinch of sympathy for her. but the fact is she made a deliberate decision to break the law which led to tragic consequences. unfortunately when people like her deliberately and knowingly break the law it's always the innocent who come out the worst. she has ruined someone else's life because of her selfish actions. shes no-one else to blame but herself. the fact that it was her sons life she ruined doesn't wash with me. she ruined A life sorry i'll rephrase that shes ruined alot of lives incl her parents, husbands ( hope he got some sense and left her) the people she crashed into theres a whole list. i couldn't care about hers. and yet most of you dont see a problem.:rolleyes:

Have you ever driven over the speed limit, or are you yet another flawless boards poster?

• Advertisement

indeed!!! As a motorist a "momentary lapse in concentration" does not bring the car to the other side of the road!!! !

Does it not? Then how come several times in the last 24 years i have seen drivers half way across the centre line on roads? Would it be lack of concentration? Or is it that they like driving on the wrong side?

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Truman Burbank

micropig wrote: »
    This women has proven she is not a responsible adult-by knowingly driving her child without insurance

Yet the state leaves a vulnerable & disabled child in her care.

I don't begrudge the child the money, it will be needed for their care and the accident was not their fault, but I would have reservations about leaving the child in the care of it's mother

Today - a shiny, new jeep pulled up beside me at the lights. Dashing dad with boy of around 7 in the front passenger seat, and girl of about 4 not in a car seat

Yesterday - a helicopter was flying above. Looked in the rear-view mirror to see a grandfather have a little girl in the back, about 4/5, unbuckle and come between the front 2 seat to have a look...........at 25 miles an hour

The day before yesterday - my neighbour, a responsible member of An Garda Siochana apparently, took his 1 year old child out on the back of his bicycle and came bombing back down the road an hour later. No helmets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

Today - a shiny, new jeep pulled up beside me at the lights. Dashing dad with boy of around 7 in the front passenger seat, and girl of about 4 not in a car seat

Yesterday - a helicopter was flying above. Looked in the rear-view mirror to see a grandfather have a little girl in the back, about 4/5, unbuckle and come between the front 2 seat to have a look...........at 25 miles an hour

The day before yesterday - my neighbour, a responsible member of An Garda Siochana apparently, took his 1 year old child out on the back of his bicycle and came bombing back down the road an hour later. No helmets.

Sickening:mad:

Is it part of the driving test how to carry a child in the car, attach seats, different seats for different children etc?..it should be

micropig wrote: »
    Sickening:mad:

Is it part of the driving test how to carry a child in the car, attach seats, different seats for different children etc?..it should be

http://www.herald.ie/news/four-out-of-five-parents-cant-fit-child-car-seats-3082489.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

dvpower wrote: »
    That irrelevant - the only crime she committed is driving without insurance (unless you have more information about the case that isn't in the public domain).

No it is not, i am pretty sure she has also committed wreckless driving, driving without due care and attention and any other offenses that would come up on behalf of the other injured parties.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

The old "everyone else does it" excuse!!! Are you serious???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

No it is not, i am pretty sure she has also committed wreckless driving, driving without due care and attention and any other offenses that would come up on behalf of the other injured parties.
    And what evidence have you seen on this four year old case that supports this? Read a newspaper article, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

dvpower wrote: »
    And what evidence have you seen on this four year old case that supports this? Read a newspaper article, right?

From some of what I have read on this and other thread some people require no evidence to condem a person to prison.

From some of what I have read on this and other thread some people require no evidence to condem a person to prison.

Yes thats the way it is. Posters believing they are immune from killing or injuring someone in an accident, because they believe they are perfect, dont ever make mistakes, and even if they do admit to the odd mistake, they are never made while driving. This forum is where the perfect people are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

I tipped my wing mirror off my gatepost yesterday while backing out of my driveway, causing the pastic casing to come loose.

What's the food like in Mountjoy?

The old "everyone else does it" excuse!!! Are you serious???

You completely mis-interpreted my post, and the linked highlighted quote.

I make no excuses for anyone* thank you.

(*irresponsible adults)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

anyone wants to swap with that kid for 20 million ???even 100million wont change anything for him as he is basically a potato for the rest of his sad life,which will be reminded to his parents everyday till they die.As for insurance companies they make that money probably in half days time,so $hit happened and now they gonna have to live with the consequences no matter how much money they got.
    Plus theres a really good movie now out called Intouchables must be seen to feel how kids life gonna go on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭doubletrouble?

do you have insurance?
    maudi who is directed at me or firedancer.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭firedancer

[HTML][/HTML]
    [HTML][/HTML]it already has by an uninsured driver.

in todays star: the mibi crowd got judgement against the mother, so in future if she comes into money they can re-coup it back. also a lovely pic of the mangled corsa on page 4.
    [HTML][/HTML]

sick, sad, voyeuristic, devoid of humanity and smacks of envy that you didn't get some kind of massive payout yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭Hamilcar

Wonder what happens if 2 uninsured drivers hit each other? Both sue each other and jackpot!!
    It's a mad world

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

do you have insurance?
    maudi who is directed at me or firedancer.?
    no not you.firedancer..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Why do we bother getting insured?

That sum of money is nonsense.

Why take seven plus years to become a judge and make a ridicules generous award Reward like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭KamiKazeKitten

Chinasea wrote: »

As is your attitude.
    Why take seven plus years to become a judge and make a ridicules generous award Reward like this.

Would you like to swap places with that child for 11.5 million?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Award was not made by the judge, they simply approved it.

Ask the child if the 11.5 helps?

But that's not my point tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭KamiKazeKitten

Ask the child if the 11.5 helps?

But that's not my point tbh.

I'm sure the 11.5 million will help provide that child with a decent quality of life, but a choice between the money or being able to have a normal life?
    He's paraplegic ffs, no 10 year old (or anyone really) would choose a life like that.

Alright, then what exactly is your point? You seem to think this money is a reward to the mother for disabling her kid, correct me if I'm wrong. Now, I don't have children myself, but if I was in her shoes all the money in the world wouldn't lessen the guilt for me.

We bother to get insured because no insurance can lead to a conviction and driving ban fine and possible prison. While the reports of this event don't say if the mother was prosecuted neither does it say she was not.

Why is the sum nonsense, I will not explain on this website again because people dont read it, how damages are calculated or the fact that most of this award will go to the health service but I suppose facts get in the way of indignation sorry for that.

7 plus years to become a judge, wow really, it is at least 16 years to become a high court judge. 12 years in practice as a solicitor or barrister, 3 years in university to get a degree and between 1 and 3 years to qualify as solicitor or barrister.

Also as has been pointed out the judge did not make the award it was a settlement agreed between the plaintiff and the defense, and ruled by the judge.

11.5 - way to much money regardless however this decision was arrived at be it a judge, a jury etc.

No one should be driving around without insurance.

11.5 - way to much money regardless however this decision was arrived at be it a judge, a jury etc.

No one should be driving around without insurance.

Ok I give in the award is made up of general and special damages. Generals are limited to €450,000 by a 2009 court case. That is to cover pain and suffering of the plaintiff.

The remainder €11,000,000 is what the experts calculate is required to give care for the remainder if live in this case on average the next 65 years. That is to provide all care 24/7 to allow this child to live a some what independent life as possible. The figure is not just pulled out of a solicitors ass, the plaintiff gets a care report which sets out all the care he needs, together with a actuary report which works out how much this will cost with inflation etc. over the next 65 years. Then the defendant gets the same reports. Damages are trying as best as possible to put the person in the same position as if the accident never happened. Or would you rather he only had care every second week only or only till he turns 40.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭firedancer

no not you.firedancer..

Yes I have insurance, house, car, life, and I am delighted that the injured boy's family life has been made a little easier.

Money isn't everything , as I'm sure that young lad's mother would be the first to say.

Some of the begrudgers on here are just incredible.

Advertisement