Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Injured child gets 11.5 million euros

Options
1212223242527»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

b) why should my insurance premium suffer for the mistake of an idiot mother
    what mistake ?

She chose to drive uninsured.

Had she been paying for insurance like the rest of us then it would have been just an unfortunate incident.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

igwe wrote: »
    Please i need an advice for a friend, on Saturday my friend was driving and had a bit of drink on him, while he was driving few blocks from his house he got stopped by the garda and was breathalysed. He failed and was brought to the police station for full breathalsyed test. He was 12mg and the legal limit is 9. the garda told him he his 3 months disqualified and 300euro fine and was told to provide his liecense and insurance with in 10days but he wont be summoned to court. The problem is that he thought he was insured in his wife car which he was driving at the time and called the insurance company to confirm the next 2days (monday). The insurance said no he was not so he added his name as a name driver to his wife on a monday. Please i will like to know if his goes to station with his licences and his wife insurance certificate will he still be summoned for driving without insurance.

He will be summoned. He could get out of it if he uses a proper lawyer. I have seen people get out of situations like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Anyone who has car insurance is contributing to that payout and i would not deny the youngfella a cent of it

11 million euro...that's an astronomical amount of money for a personal injury case (albeit a serious injury).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

Motorist wrote: »
    [/B]

Yeah, that's exactly what I just said considering we were talking in the context of the individual case of this boy and the 11.5 million award.

The judge approved the award according to established legal principles.
    An alternative system would have annual payments for life with provision to increase or decrease as needs be. This would not suit the insurers who just want to write one cheque and walk away. A method of securitising the annual payments would have to be found in order to avoid the vagaries of the current system. E. G. the entire award is handed to the state or a bonded insurer to administer for life and the state or bonded insurer effectively underwrites the risk of a longer life or gets the benefit of early death. Across a large number of such cases the state or bonded insurer should break even or if there are not a sufficient number of cases, the State could enter into re-insurance arrangements.

Advertisement