Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intermittant Fasting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

greendom wrote: »
    Has anyone bought the book yet - "The fast Diet" - wondering if it's worth getting or if there's anything better out there to use as a guide ?

I guess it depends where or what area you want to use a a guide, the leangains webby is really good, if it's food orientated, all i can say is use a site like myfitnesspal, and punch in the numbers, build up your days ahead of you, and have the food ready, i have both meal's ready for my pre work out time's to morrow, and it took me all of 20 mins .. ( most of which was waiting for sweet potato )

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭AH92

Gonna stick my oar in here also, i'm 33, 5' 10, just over 83kg's at the mo, bf% is some where about 16/17 % or so i'd say ( around december it was 18% )

Anywho, worked out the macro's and then looked at IF as a way to drop a 1 lb a week, started on saturday, sat down, worked out what i needed on a daily basis, two means in the afternoon, 12 / 3:30, totaling about 400 cals, then in to the gym, for 4:30, home for 6:30 , protien shake after it, then cook the mother load of dinner, at the moment steak seems to be the winner, altho it's expensive, plus veg etc, obv ..

Feeling good so far altho working out what to eat on mid week non training days is tough, given i'm in the office, so still a bit sketchy there, but i'll figure that out .

Over all, we'll see how it goes, i'm on it for the moment to drop BF%, 3 days resistance, 1 day cardio circuit ( 47 mins )

I should start a log really ...

General Question, is it really a requirement to eat 60% of your cals post training, if you are going for weight loss, on training days

I am on an intermittant fasting diet but I have been doing it for over 4 years. I only realised what it was properly called around a year or so ago :D It doesn't matter when you eat the majority of your cals either post or pre workout in regards to weight loss because you will still remain in a calorific deficit so fat loss will happen either way.

Just a word of note I've been doing long intensity cardio over the past 2 weeks and results have been amazing for fat loss. Eg. 1 hour jog on treadmill at 7.1 pace or 1 hour on the stair step machine at resistance 5. I've ordered some ephedrine so will be hoping fat loss continuous for the next few weeks. Im 14% bf sitting at around 98 kg.

AH92 wrote: »
    I am on an intermittant fasting diet but I have been doing it for over 4 years. I only realised what it was properly called around a year or so ago :D It doesn't matter when you eat the majority of your cals either post or pre workout in regards to weight loss because you will still remain in a calorific deficit so fat loss will happen either way.

Just a word of note I've been doing long intensity cardio over the past 2 weeks and results have been amazing for fat loss. Eg. 1 hour jog on treadmill at 7.1 pace or 1 hour on the stair step machine at resistance 5. I've ordered some ephedrine so will be hoping fat loss continuous for the next few weeks. Im 14% bf sitting at around 98 kg.

Thanks for the nod there chief, i managed 60% intake to night, it wasnt bad, but, christ that was a lot of food!!

Just on your Long intense cardio, i'm curious, could you maybe attribute this to a rash change in training ? i.e were you doing any cardio before hand, generally you see result's if you make a change to you're training / food etc ..

I'm not picking hole, i'm genuinely interested to see if there's a specific reason why the longer session is burning more now, ( actually, it could be the heart rate is at the right level for fat burn, given the intensity is low ..)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Okay, I've read quite bit through this thread. And what I can grab outta it is;

1. Fast for 16hours, eat for 8?
    2. Fast for 24 hours, eat for 24?

I'd like to do this on a slow bulk till May if I can figure it out right. Stats are as follows- 5'11, 75kg circa 12% BF. Is this just a case of finding an amount of calories that maintains my body on a rest day and then more calories on a training day? Or in my case on a bulk, slightly more calories needed to maintain BW on a rest day and the same amount more on a training day?

I think if I were do this I'd fast using the 16/8 way of doing things. From 8pm-12pm, but that only leaves me with 6 hours eating?:confused:

Someone help? :pac:

Okay, I've read quite bit through this thread. And what I can grab outta it is;

1. Fast for 16hours, eat for 8?
    2. Fast for 24 hours, eat for 24?

I'd like to do this on a slow bulk till May if I can figure it out right. Stats are as follows- 5'11, 75kg circa 12% BF. Is this just a case of finding an amount of calories that maintains my body on a rest day and then more calories on a training day? Or in my case on a bulk, slightly more calories needed to maintain BW on a rest day and the same amount more on a training day?

I think if I were do this I'd fast using the 16/8 way of doing things. From 8pm-12pm, but that only leaves me with 6 hours eating?:confused:

Someone help? :pac:

http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/

1. Input figures,
    2. Select drop down's from list based on your requirement ...
    3...??
    4. Snap Shít up

Hardest bit is the fasting, and working out your food in advance, prepare to be frustrated a little, depending on your working day ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ant11

Yep the calculator above is very handy ^^^. I'm slow bulking on IF at the minute and I'm roughly +30% on training days and -10% rest days. It takes a bit of getting used to but after that its a piece of piss. Play around with your eating windows and see what suits you. You can move it around an hour here n there it doesn't have to be regimented.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Bennybeau

I'm 14 stone athe moment after losing 3 stone. 1 stone 8 of this was from IF. I find that although I am lighter I am not terribly strong.
    Any advice on what I should do next? I want to get down to around 12 and a half stone. But I'd rather be a strong 12 and a half stone rather than a skinny one if that makes sense.

Bennybeau wrote: »
    I'm 14 stone athe moment after losing 3 stone. 1 stone 8 of this was from IF. I find that although I am lighter I am not terribly strong.
    Any advice on what I should do next? I want to get down to around 12 and a half stone. But I'd rather be a strong 12 and a half stone rather than a skinny one if that makes sense.

Gym .. weights ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Bruce7

http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/

1. Input figures,
    2. Select drop down's from list based on your requirement ...
    3...??
    4. Snap Shít up

Hardest bit is the fasting, and working out your food in advance, prepare to be frustrated a little, depending on your working day ..

Is there a resource anywhere that translates the suggested macros into an actual meal plan.

E.g. what would I need to eat in order to hit 300g of protein, 128g of carbs, 57g of fat, etc.

Bruce7 wrote: »
    Is there a resource anywhere that translates the suggested macros into an actual meal plan.

E.g. what would I need to eat in order to hit 300g of protein, 128g of carbs, 57g of fat, etc.

Yes and no, Personally I use myfitnesspal.com, Other use fitday.com and i spotted another fancy one mentioned earlier.

Dont be fooled however, it's not just pumping in % , and it giving you meals, you need to pick the food's, and work on them until you get the right figures..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Surprisingly yes!

http://www.eatthismuch.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Bennybeau

Gym .. weights ?

Yes, doing circuits three times a week and some upper body stuff. Should I be doing anything specific? Should I be taking any supplements or shakes (protein bcaa's and the likes)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,130 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

swole.me is another site that does this. You can tweek your macros and also the foods it selects from.

Edit: Actually it looks like eatthismuch and swole me are the same site. Swole me is the original generator and eat this much is the new front page. Results should be the same.

Bennybeau wrote: »
    Yes, doing circuits three times a week and some upper body stuff. Should I be doing anything specific? Should I be taking any supplements or shakes (protein bcaa's and the likes)

Start off with the stickies on here, In relation to training, there are hundred's of program's available etc, but if you feel they are to complicated, perhaps consult a personal trainer .. one external to your in house trainers.

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Mellor wrote: »
    swole.me is another site that does this. You can tweek your macros and also the foods it selects from.

Edit: Actually it looks like eatthismuch and swole me are the same site. Swole me is the original generator and eat this much is the new front page. Results should be the same.

Now If only they could eat the food for us we'd be laughing :)

Handy site(s), my only issue is, they recommended PB and jelly to me as a meal, and melon for part of my dinner ...

Sure the PB is in my own meal plan, maybe i'm just nit picking here, but i'd much rather do it the old fashioned way, discover the food's learn what work's based on listening to my body, and what doesn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Bruce7

I asked swole.me to generate a meal plan for 2199 calories, 50% protein, 25% fat and carbs across 2 meals.

Its suggestion:

Meal 1: 23 slices of bacon.

Meal 2: 3 avocados, a can of tuna, a cup of spinach and 2 cups of cucumber.

Yum!

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭AH92

Thanks for the nod there chief, i managed 60% intake to night, it wasnt bad, but, christ that was a lot of food!!

Just on your Long intense cardio, i'm curious, could you maybe attribute this to a rash change in training ? i.e were you doing any cardio before hand, generally you see result's if you make a change to you're training / food etc ..

I'm not picking hole, i'm genuinely interested to see if there's a specific reason why the longer session is burning more now, ( actually, it could be the heart rate is at the right level for fat burn, given the intensity is low ..)

Crap I thought I posted a reply to this a few days back. In a way the heart is at an optimal rate where it's not too demanding for the body to convert fat to glycogen. If you do higher intensity cardio for a long period it will be more inclined to utilise energy from the muscle and break it down although this does happen during LISS cardio as well but not as prominent (Called protein turnover).
    I remember seeing this phrase from a fitness expert "Most of the people's problem nowadays regarding cardio is they don't do it long enough"(If your goal is to reach low bf%) and I can see some sense in it. Anyhow to each their own, It's working great for me i've been alternating between jogging and using the stair machine for at least one hour on my day's off and roughly burn around 400 - 600 depending on what machine I use.
    Lastly so far I've had little or no strength decrease still deadlifting 180kg + and benching 100 + despite doing long intensity cardio and on a low carb cut while on IF. Hope this helps :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,305 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Giving this serious consideration now, want to try something new and this appeals to me.

Had a quick glance over at Leangains and his structure of eating in a certain window a day and fasting the rest of it seems that it would suit me the best. At least I hope I am reading it like that.

In relation to diet, is it just a question of getting your macros down and then going with it?

And do you do it each day, so say I eat between 12pm-9pm each day and fast for the rest of it, or is there more to it than that?

Thanks

EDIT: more or less just what this guy says http://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/basics-intermittent-fasting

Gintonious wrote: »
    Giving this serious consideration now, want to try something new and this appeals to me.

Had a quick glance over at Leangains and his structure of eating in a certain window a day and fasting the rest of it seems that it would suit me the best. At least I hope I am reading it like that.

In relation to diet, is it just a question of getting your macros down and then going with it?

And do you do it each day, so say I eat between 12pm-9pm each day and fast for the rest of it, or is there more to it than that?

Thanks

EDIT: more or less just what this guy says http://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/basics-intermittent-fasting

Yep that's it in a nutshell. Just pick your eating window, set your macros for training n rest days to suit your goal n train away.

Leangains recommends a 16/8 window. 12-9 is 9 hours just to let you know :).

Ant11 wrote: »
    Yep that's it in a nutshell. Just pick your eating window, set your macros for training n rest days to suit your goal n train away.

Leangains recommends a 16/8 window. 12-9 is 9 hours just to let you know :).

Haha, whoops.

Thanks 16/8 window would be good, there is room for slight maneuvering as well on it from the looks of it. Will read into it a bit more.

Is Leangains the best site to get the info from?

Haha, whoops.

Thanks 16/8 window would be good, there is room for slight maneuvering as well on it from the looks of it. Will read into it a bit more.

Is Leangains the best site to get the info from?

Yeah leangains has loads of info. Rippedbody also has a simplified version of IF but he links everything back to leangains if you want more detail. Yeah the window can be adjusted to suit your day or whatever your plans are. I regularly move it an hour or 2 to suit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Does anyone here have a meal close to bed? I'm trying to figure out how id fit a meal in after training...its 9pm when i get off the mats most nights..

Does anyone here have a meal close to bed? I'm trying to figure out how id fit a meal in after training...its 9pm when i get off the mats most nights..

I've had a meal as late as 10 and in bed for 11 but it wasn't a PWO meal. Have you tried having a meal after training?

Have not tried anything yet . trying to figure out a suitable widow to fit around work and training!!!

Have not tried anything yet . trying to figure out a suitable widow to fit around work and training!!!

The best thing to do is to play around with it and see how you go.

Yip thats the plan. i'd be looking at a 1pm-9pm window. The thoughts of me not eating before 1pm scares me :P

Yip thats the plan. i'd be looking at a 1pm-9pm window. The thoughts of me not eating before 1pm scares me :P

It's not too bad once you get used to it. My normal window is 12-8 but tomorrow I won't eat until 2pm and it won't make any odds. I don't get hunger pangs anymore since I started IF.

Had another read through this and noticed one thing.

When people are asked about what their goals are, its either cut/recomp/bulk.

Can I ask what eating for Recomp is? and how it is different from the other 2?

Had another read through this and noticed one thing.

When people are asked about what their goals are, its either cut/recomp/bulk.

Can I ask what eating for Recomp is? and how it is different from the other 2?

My understanding of it is, if your happy with your level of leanness and don't want to cut or bulk then you choose a body recomp. It's +20% on training days and -20% on rest days so in essence they balance each other out and your neither in a deficit nor surplus. It's supposed to be a v slow process of building muscle while losing fat, whether that's true or not I don't know I've never tried it. It does say on website if your over 15% bf to do a cut first n then choose recomp or bulk. Cutting is easy on IF so you could cut for a month then slow bulk for a while and if you felt you were putting on too much bf you could do a short cut again. It's really down to personal preference.

There's a FAQ section here that might have more info for ya. http://examine.com/leangains-faq/#summary17

• Advertisement

Good read. I do something very similar to his staples of 1 lb of meat, 6 eggs n protein powder. I prefer more meat less powder but the general idea is the same. I think playing around with meals and eating windows is important for anyone who wants to do IF. Everyone has different preferences, it's only by experimenting that you find what suits you.

Advertisement