Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intermittant Fasting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Bennybeau

Going back to IF in the morning after the Easter break.
    Like an earlier poster all my cravings were back. Potatoes chips chocolate coffee pastries etc. like a fool I have in to them too often. I have a lot of work to do. Also going off alcohol and hope to lose a stone in a month.
    Watch this space.
    All the best to anyone restarting or IF and also the die-hards who have been doing it for months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

Bennybeau wrote: »
    Going back to IF in the morning after the Easter break.
    Like an earlier poster all my cravings were back. Potatoes chips chocolate coffee pastries etc. like a fool I have in to them too often. I have a lot of work to do. Also going off alcohol and hope to lose a stone in a month.
    Watch this space.
    All the best to anyone restarting or IF and also the die-hards who have been doing it for months

best of luck, I'm in a similar stage as yourself I did have a really bad march but back on track now!

yeah defo give up the alcohol for a bit as you will get results quicker! I gave it up after last weekend so had none the weekend just gone and hopefully go most of april without any as it can easily knock you off track. I don't find its the drink I find the next day or even couple of days has me without much energy and not eating right. that's unless I don't have much of a hangover and im able to train the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

started it, went unreal.

Lost my way totally.

Went TERRIBLY bad for a while.

trying to do 7/8 good solid weeks now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ant11

started it, went unreal.

Lost my way totally.

Went TERRIBLY bad for a while.

trying to do 7/8 good solid weeks now

How it go so bad, what windows were you using? 16/8 is so easy to follow, I don't even realize I'm doing it.

Ant11 wrote: »
    How it go so bad, what windows were you using? 16/8 is so easy to follow, I don't even realize I'm doing it.

same here, I don't even notice when im doing it these days, a good few say they fall off track don't how they do, even though id a bad month in march I I still kept up the 2 days per week fasting. it helped with not putting on weight

• Advertisement

not sticking with my windows. Eating crap during the windows.

Was doing 6 hour windows. 1pm - 7pm.

Great effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Is one of the pillars of IF training while fasted or is that more of a leangains notion ?

its not a pillar.

Not even a pillar of leangains.

You can train whenever you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

I've held a steady 87kgs for the past few months while eating loads of fruit and whatever. Tweaked my macros a bit and have already lost a 1kg in the past 2 weeks while being slightly indulgent on the weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Bennybeau

madma wrote: »
    best of luck, I'm in a similar stage as yourself I did have a really bad march but back on track now!

yeah defo give up the alcohol for a bit as you will get results quicker! I gave it up after last weekend so had none the weekend just gone and hopefully go most of april without any as it can easily knock you off track. I don't find its the drink I find the next day or even couple of days has me without much energy and not eating right. that's unless I don't have much of a hangover and im able to train the next day.

Totally agree. Even two days after a drinking session I'd find I'm in no mood to train.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,206 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

For the last while went from lifting 4 days a week to lifting 1 or 2 (plus my other training). At first I was able to maintain my lifts with reduce training but it got harder when I dropped down a weight division, towards the end I lost a little on some lifts. So to combat this, I decided to eat more on my lifting days. The last two weeks have been great so I'm going to stick with it for a while.
    Although I arrived here on my own, the similarities with a Leangains +/- 20% are obvious, just without the 16/8hr format. Which is strange because I've just made weight, so recomp is ideal from here.
    So basically im looking for any tips from anybody who follows +/-20% cals?

Plan is to lift tues morning and thurs evening. And eat a small surplus on both those days (9am to 9pm). Deficit on rest days. And other training will vary depend on how I feel.

Mellor wrote: »
    For the last while went from lifting 4 days a week to lifting 1 or 2 (plus my other training). At first I was able to maintain my lifts with reduce training but it got harder when I dropped down a weight division, towards the end I lost a little on some lifts. So to combat this, I decided to eat more on my lifting days. The last two weeks have been great so I'm going to stick with it for a while.
    Although I arrived here on my own, the similarities with a Leangains +/- 20% are obvious, just without the 16/8hr format. Which is strange because I've just made weight, so recomp is ideal from here.
    So basically im looking for any tips from anybody who follows +/-20% cals?

Plan is to lift tues morning and thurs evening. And eat a small surplus on both those days (9am to 9pm). Deficit on rest days. And other training will vary depend on how I feel.

To be honest I'm not sure you need any advise. Sounds like you know what your doing. I agree with the above, surplus on Tuesday n Thursday, deficit on rest and other training days will vary. That should keep you balanced over a week. if you notice weight up or down you will know whether you need to eat less or more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

REALLY struggling to hack 18/6 this time. Removed my morning coffee with cream and am SERIOUSLY suffering...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Hanley wrote: »
    REALLY struggling to hack 18/6 this time. Removed my morning coffee with cream and am SERIOUSLY suffering...

Just no. Removing morning coffee is an awful idea...

I am a cranky **** at the best of times, take away my coffee and I will rip heads off.

Is the coffee a habitual thing? Or do you actually need it?

I think on Leangains he says you can have tea with a tiny bit of milk and it will not break your fast. I assume the same goes for coffee. Don't quote me on that but I did read it somewhere.

6 hour eating window must be tough at your weight. I did it before taking in 3200cals, I wouldn't fancy the amount you have to eat in 6 hours.

Just no. Removing morning coffee is an awful idea...

I am a cranky **** at the best of times, take away my coffee and I will rip heads off.

Hahaha fact. I nearly went apocalyptic this morning because traffic sucked.
    Is the coffee a habitual thing? Or do you actually need it?

I think on Leangains he says you can have tea with a tiny bit of milk and it will not break your fast. I assume the same goes for coffee. Don't quote me on that but I did read it somewhere.

Ant, typically I get up at 5.30am, coaching 6.30am-8.30am and then tutor from 9am-1pm. My eating window is 11am to 5pm, after which I coach for 4-5 hours, and might even train during that period too. Suffice to say I'm running on empty by the time I "start" the day, and no other window would work to get the kcals in.

6 hour eating window must be tough at your weight. I did it before taking in 3200cals, I wouldn't fancy the amount you have to eat in 6 hours.

Try doing it while cutting :(

Ant, typically I get up at 5.30am, coaching 6.30am-8.30am and then tutor from 9am-1pm. My eating window is 11am to 5pm, after which I coach for 4-5 hours, and might even train during that period too. Suffice to say I'm running on empty by the time I "start" the day, and no other window would work to get the kcals in.

Could you not lengthen your window to 8 hours and do 8:30/9 - 4:30/5? You could eat something quick before you start tutoring at 9 or do you want the 6 hour window for cutting?

Edit: just seen your cutting above.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,206 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

To be honest I'm not sure you need any advise. Sounds like you know what your doing. I agree with the above, surplus on Tuesday n Thursday, deficit on rest and other training days will vary. That should keep you balanced over a week. if you notice weight up or down you will know whether you need to eat less or more.

I think I've a good grasp of it. I suppose the issue I want to avoid is getting too used to the surplus days and creating habits I on other days. The difference between the two days is 600-700. So I'm gonna throw in a protein shake for 200-300 cals. So I just need and easy 400. Extra meal?

• Advertisement

Could you not lengthen your window to 8 hours and do 8:30/9 - 4:30/5? You could eat something quick before you start tutoring at 9 or do you want the 6 hour window for cutting?

Edit: just seen your cutting above.

I've always found that the sooner the fast is broken, the easier it is for things to fall apart.

Was trying to keep the coffee out so not as to disrupt cortisol release and aid fat burning, but it's just not worth it!!

Mellor wrote: »
    I think I've a good grasp of it. I suppose the issue I want to avoid is getting too used to the surplus days and creating habits I on other days. The difference between the two days is 600-700. So I'm gonna throw in a protein shake for 200-300 cals. So I just need and easy 400. Extra meal?

Sure you could throw anything you wanted into that shake to make up the extra cals and don't have it the other days and you should be fine.

I've always found that the sooner the fast is broken, the easier it is for things to fall apart.

Yeah I agree, as soon as I break my fast I want to eat a big meal. Something small wouldn't be enough for me.

Was trying to keep the coffee out so not as to disrupt cortisol release and aid fat burning, but it's just not worth it!!

Yeah it's not worth it and let's face it you will still get to the bf% you want whether you have your coffee or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭superfrank

Is the surplus on lifting days required? I’m trying to lose weight and build muscle but having 1800 cals on both rest AND lifting days.

The calculator says that I should be having 2200 cals on lifting days.

How important is the surplus to losing fat and gaining muscle?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

superfrank wrote: »
    Is the surplus on lifting days required? I’m trying to lose weight and build muscle but having 1800 cals on both rest AND lifting days.

Why don't you just eat in a surplus, gain your muscle that you want and then get super shredded with IF?

superfrank wrote: »

Cals seem v low. What weight are you?

To lose fat and built muscle is extremely difficult to do at the same time. Leangains calls this body recomp but also explains that's its a very slow process. IIRC he said that you should not do a recomp unless you are already lean and under 15bf% or maybe it was 12% bf can't remember which.

I think if you've a bit of bf to lose its best to do a cut first and lower your bf% and then do a slow bulk. That way you will be able to stay relatively lean while slowly bulking/building muscle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

I am doing the body recomp at the moment! Working like a charm. I estimate I am eating at most 2.4k cals on training days

ferike1 wrote: »
    I am doing the body recomp at the moment! Working like a charm. I estimate I am eating at most 2.4k cals on training days

You already have plenty of muscle and your relatively lean and your cutting bf% slowly so your recomp will be a lot different to what super frank would have to do.

ferike1 wrote: »

You're not far off 90kg? 2.4knis almost cutting level if so!
    Yeah it's not worth it and let's face it you will still get to the bf% you want whether you have your coffee or not.

Yeah that's it. May as well make it as easy as possible.

• Advertisement

for anyone wondering about coffee, I drink a couple of black coffee's on long fasts like 24hr-40hr if I do that. I switched back to doing 2 x 24hr this week as the 40hr is a bit extreme although I find it grand. I used to drink just water but I find the coffee a great boost and I read off a few different places that its actually helps boost fatloss during a fast. also having it without the milk ya don't need to worry about breaking the fast

Advertisement