Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Snooker Championship 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Can't figure out how Ali won more than two frames in that session. I reckon tomorrow he should focus on playing the table rather than playing O'Sullivan - he tied himself up majorly today, and it's a minor miracle that he's come out of it only 10-7 down.

Tomorrow should definitely be interesting - especially the first four frames in the afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

I can't believe it's ended up 10-7. Luckily for Ali he won a few frames that kept him in the match. It could so easily have been 12-5, or worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

indiewindy wrote: »
    remember the Dott win, that was a late one as well, a tough slog. Woudlnt fancy watching a Dott Carter(Ebdon influence) final:eek:

That's the one I was on about I think. Dunno why I stayed up for it. 2.30 it finished I think. Double Irish the next morning at 9 was torture :P.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

might as well mention at this stage that higgins won last year after being 10-7 down overnight
    Indeed... and after Dennis Taylor came back to win the infamous 1985 final after being 8-0 down, I think anything is possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,314 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I remember it too - a rather dreary final at the end of a rather dreary tournament, I'm afraid. :(

Indeed, there were only 46 centuries that year, and just one of them was 140 or over.

And without any disrespect whatsoever to Dott, he made just one century in the whole tournament - and his highest break in the final was just 68... :eek:

Ebdon/Dott, That was one of my favourite finals. Raw stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Silvio.Dante

A Rod 'The Plod' Lawlor/Ebdon final would be my ultimate crucible experience...:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭zack01

There's an Aussie pro named Robbie Foldvari, guys this player would make Dott, Ebdon, Lawlor and even our own Fergal look like Tony Drago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Carter is playing like a clone of Ebdon rather than himself, turning down viable pots in the interests of trying to disrupt O'Sullivan's fluidity with prolonged tactical exchanges. I think one of the commentators summed it up well by saying that Carter is playing not to lose rather than playing to win.

All these shots of Ebdon sitting in the box, exuding a Svengali-like aura, only contribute to the impression that Carter is not playing his own game.

To some extent it's working. In all of his previous matches in this tournament, O'Sullivan reeled off at least 6 frames in a row to take a commanding lead -- and he has not done that yet to Carter. But if O'Sullivan steps up that extra gear this afternoon and wins the session 6-2, it's all over.[/Quote]

Exactly - Ronnie's biggest asset is that he plays what's on the table, whereas Ali's focus is on playing Ronnie. It's a difficult call, but I think Ali has proven that he has enough talent and skill to play his own game over the last couple of weeks. He perhaps doesn't have enough belief in his straight game to beat Ronnie with it alone, hence why a number of frames were very fragmented. Ronnie has shown excellent patience though, I'm very curious to see if there is a change of tactics.

zack01 wrote: »
    There's an Aussie pro named Robbie Foldvari, guys this player would make Dott, Ebdon, Lawlor and even our own Fergal look like Tony Drago

*Silvio goes to youtube*

• Advertisement

In other news, we're coming up to our tenth century post on this thread. Did one of the bbc commentators say that Bet Fair are donating 200 quid to charity for every 100 posts we make?

Daddio wrote: »
    In other news, we're coming up to our tenth century post on this thread. Did one of the bbc commentators say that Bet Fair are donating 200 quid to charity for every 100 posts we make?

Yes. Our chosen charitty is the 'Silvio Dante Beneficial Fund' I do believe...:D

If Carter just played his normal game and stopped trying to play the killer safety shot each time he may have more of a chance. Every time he gets a chance he's under so much pressure to do something because he knows if he misses it could well be another frame gone.

Something tells me Peter Ebdon may have had the wrong influence on him in this final.

Thats what i said yesterday, if you look at the game Carter was playing against Davis, Trump, Jones and even Maguire there was none of this negativity going on. He's showing O'Sullivan too much respect and although that respect is rightly deserved Carter must remember he's in the world final also, he's played this format yesterday and he's only 3 frames behind, he needs to revert back to the original Carter and not the Ebdonesque player we saw yesterday. It's not Ebdons final it's his.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Hopefully o sullivan does that. It wont be the best man winning if carter wins, in my opinion.

O'Sullivan has undoubtably played the best snooker of the championships so far and on route to his fourth final he's beaten 3 ex world champions and a two time runner up without really being in much trouble in each match.
    Carter meanwhile had his biggest test against tournament favourite Trump and from 12-9 down he won the last four to prevail 13-12.
    Again in his quater final he prevailed against Jamie Jones who is possibly a future champion here, in his semi final I felt from the start that Maguire was tailor made for him and Carter proved this by playing superb match play over the four sessions to win.

The final over four sessions I feel will all boil down to the first session, Carter needs to win this at least 5-3 to stand any chance of holding a lead going into the final day.
    O'Sullivan has been composed and professional throughout this tournament and no matter what Carter throws at him, including what his new found mentor Peter Ebdon teaches him I feel this is O'Sullivans final to lose.

My prediction O'Sullivan to win 18-10

I still fancy 18-10 O'Sullivan but Carter needs to start well today.

The extra incentive not that Carter needs one in a world final, but if he was to win he will be back in the top 16 at number 16 for the new season. Ronnie will be up to 9th if he wins.

I dont think I've seen Ronnie O'Sullivan as laid back and happy in his life. Something tells me today will be O'Sullivans finest hour in snooker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Definitely not the start that Carter wanted...

But he only needs one frame for us to come back this evening. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Very conservative approach by Ali. He's refusing reds that really he should be taking on.

Edit :And now he just missed a pottable pink.

• Advertisement

Jernal wrote: »
    Very conservative approach by Ali. He's refusing reds that really he should be taking on.

Edit :And now he just missed a pottable pink.

That's what's going to cost him this final.

Agreed, O'Sullivan just won another frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Terrible miss from Ali. The match is getting away from him. One miss and Ronnie gets a frame winning break.

This session will become a complete slaughter unless Carter can exert some sort of pressure on O'Sullian.
    It makes O'Sullivan's task so much easier when he know the guy following him is struggling.

12-7 needs without doubt the next two before the interval.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

I lost some respect for Ronnie in recent times when he wasn't going to tournaments and just the way he was coming across in interviews.

But the way he has played in this WC has been outstanding. Most definately hope he wins. Would like to see a bit closer finish, but don't think it'll happen.

Had to laugh at the commentary: "All the celebs come out for this final, look, there's Darren Day"

Since the Masters in January O'Sullivan has been a completely different person, he's enjoying his life more, he sees his kids every weekend and that in turn has reflected on his snooker.
    Everyone knows what a talent he is, but talent doesn't count for much when the mental side of things are not right.
    He battles for every frame now, he's not on the verge of winning his fourth crown just by potting balls, his safety play throughout these championships has been world class.

As I said earlier this may be his finest hour in snooker but it may also be his final hour too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

This is a very scrappy frame, looking like O'Sullivan to take it.

13-7 and you have to feel this final has now run away from Carter. He had three chances in the last frame and still couldn't convert them.
    Worrying times indeed for the Captain.

That frame is going to hurt Ali he had two really good chances to win that frame and one half chance. Have to hand it to Ronnie though, punished Ali for his profligacy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,020 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Rubbish from Ali, nearly as bad as his effort in their previous final.

Shame that we have had such one sided semi finals and final after a fun few weeks.

Advertisement