Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Floyd Mayweather Vs Miguel Cotto

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭insanity50

walshb wrote: »
    Well then why the test insistence and the PPV obstacles? He must think Manny has something special that could upset him. Only Floyd knows, but Manny is the only foe that Floyd has ever asked this of.

Yes, he had tests for Mosley etc, but he had to do that then after insinuating that Manny was doping. I think Floyd wins, and wins without too much doubt. He will work for the win, but he's too good I feel.

When one studies and looks into it I think it's a fair conclusion to come to, that Floyd fears a loss. Not sating it's right, but us fans we only have a certain amount of info to go on.

Lads,

PBF has a self confidence and a belief in his skills which no other fighter comes close to possessing.

He genuinely believes in his heart of hearts that he is the greatest figher of all time. To suggest he is scared of a guy who had trouble with a fighter Floyd schooled (Marqeuz) is ridiculous. Floyd doesn't think Manny is any better or any more special than the other 42 who have tried.
    Dan_Solo wrote: »
    OMG, don't tell me you take that post-fight press stuff seriously, do you? How many times have we heard about rematches, next opponents etc and it was all waffle?
    The fight would have happened if Manny took the blood tests that PBF decided Manny and only Manny, a man never done for drugs, needed to take. This is pBF ducking. He's changed the rules jeopardising the fight, not Pac.
    Strange how he's never asked any other fighter, you know, the ones, he knows he'll beat handily, to do this. How come?
    I still think it is a blatant accusation that Pac is doped. PBF should be up before the board for it.

Starting at the Marquez fight all Floyd's opponents have undergone the random blood and urine tests.

This should be common practice in the sport.

the current testing is slack, and Floyd is picking up for it. It should be standard.

To Brendan,

Let me ask you this...

If Manny Pacquiao suddenly woke up tomorrow and terminated his contracted with Bob, how soon do you think the PBF fight would be made. [Ignoring floyd going to jail and manny having a fight in 3 weeks]

If Bob was out of the picture, guarantee this fight would be signed and sealed within a week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

insanity50 wrote: »
    Starting at the Marquez fight all Floyd's opponents have undergone the random blood and urine tests.
    Yeah, but that's only because he had to do it or else look totally embarrassed calling out Pac over it and nobody else. No Pac and he doesn't bother demanding those tests.
    The simple fact is, if he thinks he can beat Manny anyway, why does he care whether he's doped or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

100% agree with this

I don't think these lads understand what an obstacle arum is, he is a non boxing man who just wants easy money, manny is his cash cow and after this fight that is gone, open your eyes lads-Manny is not a major threat to floyd, canelo would be way harder as would Sergio Martinez.

I like Manny but he's not on floyds level, arum knows this, roach knows this and floyd knows this.

Lads,

PBF has a self confidence and a belief in his skills which no other fighter comes close to possessing.

He genuinely believes in his heart of hearts that he is the greatest figher of all time. To suggest he is scared of a guy who had trouble with a fighter Floyd schooled (Marqeuz) is ridiculous. Floyd doesn't think Manny is any better or any more special than the other 42 who have tried.

the current testing is slack, and Floyd is picking up for it. It should be standard.

To Brendan,

Let me ask you this...

If Manny Pacquiao suddenly woke up tomorrow and terminated his contracted with Bob, how soon do you think the PBF fight would be made. [Ignoring floyd going to jail and manny having a fight in 3 weeks]

If Bob was out of the picture, guarantee this fight would be signed and sealed within a week.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

cowzerp wrote: »
    100% agree with this

I don't think these lads understand what an obstacle arum is, he is a non boxing man who just wants easy money, manny is his cash cow and after this fight that is gone, open your eyes lads-Manny is not a major threat to floyd, canelo would be way harder as would Sergio Martinez.

I like Manny but he's not on floyds level, arum knows this, roach knows this and floyd knows this.
    Still doesn't answer the question... If Floyd is so confident and wants the fight, why change the rules? Keep his trap shut and this fight is over by now.
    Why did Floyd, not Manny, insist on scuppering the fight?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,617 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Yeah, but that's only because he had to do it or else look totally embarrassed calling out Pac over it and nobody else. No Pac and he doesn't bother demanding those tests.
    The simple fact is, if he thinks he can beat Manny anyway, why does he care whether he's doped or not?

Spot on. He was forced to request tests for anyone he fought AFTER he insinuated that Manny was suspect, and after he insinuated that the sport needed cleaning up. Hmm, he didn't think it needed cleaning up vs. Hatton and Oscar and many others.
    Really, Floyd would never in a milion years have requested JMM to take all the tests had Floyd not called Manny to do the tests.

Only he knows why he asked for tests, but for anyone to think it was to clean up the sport is naive. I mean, when is his career did he ever have the sports doping interests in his heart?

Most here seem to think Floyd wins. I am one. Floyd must not be as confident. If he was he'd fight Manny with or without tests and suspicions.

• Advertisement

cowzerp, what has Arum got to do with drugs tests? Floyd wants these drugs tests. That has zero to do with Arum. He wants Manny to test for drugs, to do tests that are not part of the current regime.

Remove Arum completely. That still doesn't solve the puzzle. Manny says, "I'll fight you, Floyd," and Floyd responds with, "take the tests, my tests, not the ones that the sport is implementing officially." Ok, Manny then says yes or no. If yes, Floyd responds with "Okay, but I am not willing to share 50/50." When does this become absurd?

What obstacle has Manny put up? Not Arum, what obstacle has Manny out up?

Allegations are not allowed but many feel manny has something to hide and his size despite his naturally skinny build give reason for this belief, the testing in boxing is pathetic and should be what floyd says either way, Floyd has called him out lots of times of late, manny is v quiet, whys that?!

Im pro Manny but have issue with Arum and his business module, Roach is just as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Henno30

I think if Manny did the test and offered the fight for free Floyd would come up with another excuse. Sorry, but to me, both demands he has made so far are pathetic.

The notion of a non-serious buyer comes to mind - http://www.nowboxing.com/2012/03/pacquiaomayweather-the-concept-of-negotiating-dealing-with-a-non-serious-buyer/23482/

I don't know how much the Pacquiao camp have wanted the fight. I think the fact that each member of his team came out with a different excuse when they were put on the spot early this year looked bad. I don't think Arum has wanted the fight.

But I don't think Floyd has wanted it either. He keeps throwing obstacles in the way and aggressively demanding the other side meet them. This isn't the behaviour of a serious buyer, so to speak, this is the behaviour of someone who's pretending he's a buyer. Has Floyd behaved this way in any other negotiations? No he hasn't, because he's wanted to make those other fights happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I think manny is in for a tough night with Bradley, and might even be out pointed

I think manny is in for a tough night with Bradley, and might even be out pointed

Bradley's no joke. Depends on what Pacquiao has left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭anto77

Lads,

To Brendan,

Let me ask you this...

'

Seriously, enough of the "paul", "brendan" "lads" bs - this is an internet forum.

Your fan boy posts are now less than childish considering the accusations you direct at other posters.

For posters here to comment with any degree of certainty that Paquiao is on performance enhancing drugs is both completely groundless and slanderous.

Pacquiao exposed a younger, quicker Cotto by throwing more explosive and varied combinations than Mayweather. Mayweather set up some beautiful combinations as did Pacquiao but the latter exploited them far more clinically,

Mayweather - Pacquiao is pretty close to a 50/50 fight.

But - If the Pacquiao that Beat Cotto is a clean fighter, and if he is in similar, if not better condition for a Mayweather fight, i think he will marginally outwork PBF for a points win.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Maravilla33

Its funny that its nearly impossible for people to be a fan of both Pacquaio and Mayweather. Either you're a Manny fan and Floyd is the biggest ducker the worlds ever seen or you're a Floyd fan and Manny is juiced up to his eyeballs. I'm not sure why this fight hasn't happened yet. The truth is nobody really does.

You never know what PBF's intentions are but maybe he genuinely believes Manny is on something. Maybe he never asked any of his other opponents to do these tests because he was never suspicious of them and had no need to? When he asked for these tests he didn't know that Manny would refuse. For all he knew the tests would be taken and the fight would be on. He'd be in trouble then if he was using them as a way of ducking.. On the other hand I do think he went about it the wrong way and can understand why Manny wouldn't want to bow to his demands.

I don't think either are afraid of the other. I think Floyd wins this one handily now but it was a real pickem around the time he fought Hatton and Cotto. For this fight to have happened it would have taken one of them to be the bigger man and concede something to make the fight the world wants to see. I don't think either wanted it enough. They both would have made more than they'll ever make against anybody else. Splitting the purse 40-40 with the winner getting the remaining 20 would have sorted things out.

anto77 wrote: »
    '
    But - If the Pacquiao that Beat Cotto is a clean fighter, and if he is in similar, if not better condition for a Mayweather fight, i think he will marginally outwork PBF for a points win.

anto, that version of Manny has the best chance to beat Floyd. I still think Floyd will be a luke warm favorite though. Great clash of styles. Manny to me seems to have regressed a wee bit, judging more from the Mosley fight than JMM, whom he always has issues with. The Bradley fight will tell us more.

Its funny that its nearly impossible for people to be a fan of both Pacquaio and Mayweather. Either you're a Manny fan and Floyd is the biggest ducker the worlds ever seen or you're a Floyd fan and Manny is juiced up to his eyeballs. I'm not sure why this fight hasn't happened yet. The truth is nobody really does.

You never know what PBF's intentions are but maybe he genuinely believes Manny is on something. Maybe he never asked any of his other opponents to do these tests because he was never suspicious of them and had no need to? When he asked for these tests he didn't know that Manny would refuse. For all he knew the tests would be taken and the fight would be on. He'd be in trouble then if he was using them as a way of ducking.. On the other hand I do think he went about it the wrong way and can understand why Manny wouldn't want to bow to his demands.

I don't think either are afraid of the other. I think Floyd wins this one handily now but it was a real pickem around the time he fought Hatton and Cotto. For this fight to have happened it would have taken one of them to be the bigger man and concede something to make the fight the world wants to see. I don't think either wanted it enough. They both would have made more than they'll ever make against anybody else. Splitting the purse 40-40 with the winner getting the remaining 20 would have sorted things out.

As fair an assessment as I have seen in quite a while.

anto77 wrote: »
    Seriously, enough of the "paul", "brendan" "lads" bs - this is an internet forum.

Your fan boy posts are now less than childish considering the accusations you direct at other posters.

This is a strange post and i don't get it really!

many of us get on and no each other in real life so it's not strange we use our names at times-oh and we often disagree even though some of us are pals off here, opinions make this site.

This Arum talk is crap. I asked: What has Arum got to do with the dope tests? That has nothing to do with him. Floyd wants over the top dope tests, tests that are not part of the current scene.

Arum is a promoter, there have been plenty, but never ever did a hype fight stall so badly. Arum has been involved with many big fights before.

The fighters if they want will fight. All this posturing and blaming Arum from Floyd's side is nonsense.

This Arum talk is crap. I asked: What has Arum got to do with the dope tests? That has nothing to do with him. Floyd wants over the top dope tests, tests that are not part of the current scene.

Arum is a promoter, there have been plenty, but never ever did a hype fight stall so badly. Arum has been involved with many big fights before.

The fighters if they want will fight. All this posturing and blaming Arum from Floyd's side is nonsense.

Floyd wants tests that are standard at amateur level, he is dead right and only reason why he started was because he clearly thinks Manny is/was doping, the tests should be used for all top boxing.

Arum is a major obstacle and it is well known him and Mayweather don't get on-The test reason is not there now and that's old news, Mayweather called him out, fight should have happened 5th of may but stupid stadium excuse was used, easy to forget that isn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭zindicato

Fact Manny agreed to the random blood test all the way till the day before the fight but not on the day of the fight as he said there is procedures after the fight itself,

Fact is that they started nearly in the same weight division and surprisingly if you follow boxing they are nearly in the same weight category almost at different stages of ther career and time line of thier career.

If any of you comes form a medical background you will understand me when i say this that when you have bloods taken from you or even if you just get a vaccine jab you feel afterwards that there is a certain amount of weakness in that arm...

if you follow boxing for a long time now Manny never answer's call outs from other boxer's even before when he was fighting in lower weights his line is always ''im a boxer i fight whomever my manager gets for me'' so stop with this ''floyd call out thing''.

Floyd is brilliant at what he does he says he doesnt care bout pacquiao but every fight promotion he does he always mentions him.

Regarding Bob arum for a person to state that if Pacquiao leaves top rank than the fight could be made quickly that is just pathetic.

Floyd and Bob has had bad relationship between them for it to spill over into the negotiations regarding the fight is dumb as you know promoters at the end of the day will sell thier mother if the financial gain is good.

heres the breakdown of floyds requests so far.
    1. random blood tests( before)
    2. Olympic style drug testing
    3. no to 50/50 and he keeps the PPV sales
    4. Pacquiao to leave Arum before they fight.

Pacquiao's request to floyd
    1. ???????????

As ive said before we wont know till they fight what will really happen, All of the opinions bout the other fighter beating the other easily are just that ''OPINIONS''.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭zindicato

Floyds Tests shouldnt even be mentioned in the same breath as Olympic drug testing as they are just random drug tests that he wants he just coined the term olympic style into his promotional babble and many people think its legit.

Fact OLYMPIC DRUG TESTING IS DONE 24/7 365 DAYS A YEAR NOT RANDOM DRUG TESTS FOR A COUPLE OF WEEKS WHICH IF YOU FOLLOW HIS FIGHT AGAINTS MOSLEY, MARQUEZ AND VICTOR ORTIZ WERE ACTUALLY A COUPLE OF TIMES THAT BLOODS WERE TAKEN DURING THE TRAINING AND CUT OFF POINTS WERE FAR FROM '' TIL THE DAY OF THE FIGHT'' AND ACTUALLY THEY WERE INFORMED PRIOR TO THE SO CALLED RANDOM TESTS.

http://www.boxingscene.com/conte-mayweather-not-olympic-style-testing--44297

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

cowzerp wrote: »
    Floyd wants tests that are standard at amateur level, he is dead right and only reason why he started was because he clearly thinks Manny is/was doping, the tests should be used for all top boxing.

Arum is a major obstacle and it is well known him and Mayweather don't get on-The test reason is not there now and that's old news, Mayweather called him out, fight should have happened 5th of may but stupid stadium excuse was used, easy to forget that isn't it.

Why do I still hear "take the test" every time Floyd speaks despite everyone on the planet knowing it has nothing to do with the negotiations anymore?

Why do I still hear "take the test" every time Floyd speaks despite everyone on the planet knowing it has nothing to do with the negotiations anymore?

1. People remember slogans
    2. Most of his fans are idiots

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

Henno30 wrote: »
    1. People remember slogans
    2. Most of his fans are idiots

Yeah but it's not just the fans, Floyd said it after the Cotto fight. It's embarrassing at this stage

Pacquiao has created quite a stir today with his new-found religious mission moving onto a new level - http://thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/nike-sponsored-bible-quoting-top-boxer-slams-obama-gays-must-be-put-to-death/news/2012/05/15/39644

He quoted the Leviticus verse on killing gay people in an interview with a news outlet, and criticised Obama for his stance on gay marriage. I think he might get away with this in a third world country like the Phillipines, but this is going to do massive damage to his image in the US.

There is no way a sponsor like Nike could stay in business with an American athlete is he said something like this, if the story takes off in the States they won't stick with Pacquiao either.

Pacquiao has created quite a stir today with his new-found religious mission moving onto a new level - http://thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/nike-sponsored-bible-quoting-top-boxer-slams-obama-gays-must-be-put-to-death/news/2012/05/15/39644

He quoted the Leviticus verse on killing gay people in an interview with a news outlet, and criticised Obama for his stance on gay marriage. I think he might get away with this in a third world country like the Phillipines, but this is going to do massive damage to his image in the US.

There is no way a sponsor like Nike could stay in business with an American athlete is he said something like this, if the story takes off in the States they won't stick with Pacquiao either.

Silly lad it must be said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

really irresponsible reporting on the part of the man who first ran this story, Granville Ampong. Pacquiao never quoted the leviticus passage in question, but Ampong inserts it into his article in a way that makes it easy to misread it as Pacquiao having referenced the quote himself.

Here's the original report

http://www.examiner.com/article/pacquiao-rejects-counsels-obama-god-s-words-first

and here's Ampong "clearing things up"

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/sports/05/16/12/scribe-owns-pacquiao%E2%80%99s-%E2%80%98anti-gay-remark%E2%80%99

To be honest, I don't see it being a huge issue that Pacquiao has said that he is against gay-marriage. he's a conservative politician and it goes without saying that he's not going to be in favour of same-sex marriage. It's the cynical insertion of the leviticus quote that makes this look really bad, and in reality he never said that. So much ado about nothing if ya ask me.

Fall_Guy wrote: »
    really irresponsible reporting on the part of the man who first ran this story, Granville Ampong. Pacquiao never quoted the leviticus passage in question, but Ampong inserts it into his article in a way that makes it easy to misread it as Pacquiao having referenced the quote himself.

Here's the original report

http://www.examiner.com/article/pacquiao-rejects-counsels-obama-god-s-words-first

and here's Ampong "clearing things up"

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/sports/05/16/12/scribe-owns-pacquiao%E2%80%99s-%E2%80%98anti-gay-remark%E2%80%99

To be honest, I don't see it being a huge issue that Pacquiao has said that he is against gay-marriage. he's a conservative politician and it goes without saying that he's not going to be in favour of same-sex marriage. It's the cynical insertion of the leviticus quote that makes this look really bad, and in
    reality he never said that. So much ado about nothing if ya ask me.

I disagree.

This is the relevant segement of the original article:

"God's words first ... obey God's law first before considering the laws of man," says Pacquiao, addressing Obama's pronoucement on legalizing same-sex marriage during an exclusive interview Friday night with the National Conservative Examiner in his residence at the Palazzo Complex in Los Angeles here in California.

Engaging a radical shift as manifested by his insights shared during Bible studies which lasted more than one hour, around 10:00 p.m., with a song and his substantive prayer, Pacquiao counsels people to "just believe" what the Scripture says.

Pacquiao's directive for Obama calls societies to fear God and not to promote sin, inclusive of same-sex marriage and cohabitation, notwithstanding what Leviticus 20:13 has been pointing all along: “If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.”

Notwithstanding the fact that the above is dreadfully written and could easily be construed as Pacquiao endorsing Leviticus, the extracts below pretty much seal the deal:

"It should not be of the same sex so as to adulterate the altar of matrimony, like in the days of Sodom and Gomorrah of Old."

Pacquiao believes same-sex marriage is an abomination and its advancement should be stopped starting from the high offices of the U.S. to block possible legalization.

I think poor old Granville Ampong is trying to save his own ass in his 'attempts to clear things up'. There's no ambiguity about that article at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

but we already knew that Manny was a conservative Christian, so what is the big problem there? I would imagine a very large proportion of the U.S. would agree with him, its a fairly conservative country. Now if he actually had quoted the passage from leviticus and was endorsing it, I think he would obviously be in hot water and rightly so.

Now I'd like to point out that I have no issues with same sex marriage, but there are a huge amount of people who still do (the world is full of "devout christians") so its not like his views are THAT crazy, especially in the U.S.

I definitely agree that the original reporter is trying to save his own ass.

• Advertisement

Fall_Guy wrote: »
    Now I'd like to point out that I have no issues with same sex marriage, but there are a huge amount of people who still do (the world is full of "devout christians") so its not like his views are THAT crazy, especially in the U.S.

I definitely agree that the original reporter is trying to save his own ass.

But, does one have to be a devout christian not to agree with same sex marriage?

Advertisement