Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert '11/'12 Off-Topic 2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Patchy~ wrote: »
    I cant say I'd envy you even if you are lucky. Can you not even take results day off?! I mean, how are you meant to get your results at 9am if you're working? Or if its not til later...you could hardly be like "Yay, 500 odd points, off to work now", thats not fair :(

Don't start until later, love how things work out :rolleyes:

My dad's the person in charge of employment and stuff but he's so afraid of seeming to be giving me special treatment he'd never let me take the day off. Gonna be some summer...

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

Namlub wrote: »
    I know I'm lucky to have a job this summer, and I need the money obviously, but fcuking hell it's depressing to have nothing to look forward to after the lc. Like I'm literally working from the day I finish exams to the 31st of August, can't take one day off...ugh :(
    I'd prefer to be out making money rather than spending it every night on drink. Thats just me though

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

Namlub wrote: »
    Don't start until later, love how things work out :rolleyes:

My dad's the person in charge of employment and stuff but he's so afraid of seeming to be giving me special treatment he'd never let me take the day off. Gonna be some summer...
    I wouldnt call letting your daughter (you are a girl right? :pac:) off the day she gets her results "special treatment" really...I'd let anyone off that day! And everyone deserves work holidays. I think it'd be weirder for him to not give you a bit of special treatment since you're only working for the summer rather than for 40 years kinda thing :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Least you didn't work through the lc be grateful miss :P summer can get totally boring at times but work will keep it interesting :) and you won't be working every single day of the week :P you'll get at least 2 days off a week :P
    Ahh yeah, just gonna be a let-down after Oxegen and Cannes last summer :P
    I wouldnt call letting your daughter (you are a girl right? :pac:) off the day she gets her results "special treatment" really...I'd let anyone off that day! And everyone deserves work holidays. I think it'd be weirder for him to not give you a bit of special treatment since you're only working for the summer rather than for 40 years kinda thing :pac:
    Think it's just because they don't take you on as an official employee so you don't have any entitlements to time off or whatever, and my dad's not the type to let me off as a nice gesture...

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

My plan for the day?

-watch brother's football match
    -11am McDonalds
    -watch father's football match
    -home and read Morganville books again
    -Dinner
    -more reading
    -Bed.

It was good. But I shouldn't have...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

I'd love to have a job for the summer. Living in the middle of nowhere doesn't make that easy, though. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

Probably inappropriate but you did ask. :P

I make funny stories out of them or keywords. I need to revise them one thing that really stuck with me was the one I did to remember Tara Mines info for environmental sustainability, it was shameful :o

To remember that it was a big mine for lead and zinc I told myself "Tara was a huge whore" and it was polluting the environment (she was spreading STDs)...they planted trees, you can figure that euphemism out. People wanted the mine shut down (Tara had to close her legs) but workers needed employment (the men needed wimminz :pac:). Thats all I remember atm but yeah, if you're as immature and easily amused as me that might work ;)

Oh god I need to shower after this post. In before my infraction :L

imagine if you were in a rush in the exam, and by mistake you actually wrote the story that helps you remember...examiner would be like whatdafuuuuuk.

OMG :pac: I think I'd die :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Fergus_ wrote: »
    I plan to..
    1. Do a french essay on emigration, racism, Olympic Games, poverty and drugs
    2. Do a full Biology paper
    3. Research for Hamlet notes
    4. Learn a sample answer for Biomes/Soils in Geography

That went well :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

Just wrote up a plan for the 18 days off I have before the leaving. Feeling quite optimistic about the big ol' LC now. Only have five subjects to actually study for (I'm not studying for OL math or Irish, will pass them and that's all I need). Already did my LCVP exam so that just leaves me with 4 higher subjects and 1 ordinary. Not so bad at all! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Ended up going to my friends I felt guilty if I cancelled but didn't stay over in the end.
    So I guess I can wake up and study early and use the full day tomorrow.I'm glad I studied in the morning today so I didn't waste a full day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

I don't study anymore, this has gone beyond a joke. I've a pre tomorrow that I'm assuming I'll fail, some laugh. :(

Do you think I would lose marks or w/e by learning off a sample answer word for word from the Geography Exam Skills book?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

Do you think I would lose marks or w/e by learning off a sample answer word for word from the Geography Exam Skills book?

I can't see how they could take marks off you. As long as you have valid SRPs it shouldn't be a problem, most of the country will be learning off some form of sample answers anyways.

Yeah I didn't think so, I just wanted to make sure :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Ah god I find the chemistry experiments hard to learn(the procedure that is) because we havent done some of them.. Any ideas how to learn them better?? Thanks :P

I asked my teacher before he said you can as it does show you've learnt it as it would take time to the learn the answer off. He often hands us out answers from there anyway.

My plan for today is to just do the geography human elective and have it covered as I've not gone over a lot of since last year. I have a lot of sample answers to shorten. I probably won't have time to study anything else today. I might write another biome essay I have 5 of the soil answers written out now I just need to do the biomes then learn them off.

I remember last years leaving I was only trying to write out and learn about 3 essays like a few days before I was so underprepared never again...

How would you say in French?

"This novel shows the true value of friendship and trust" or something similar?

Also, any good sites for general essay phrases?

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

God i am so screwed for OL irish :o, for the essay part anyway. Ive done no essays in it since the mock and i got a terrible mark for the essay. What topics do people think I should focus on?

• Advertisement

Got up, went to do the 2003 HL Maths P1, couldnt get the (a) parts out for algebra, got the factor theorem wrong and couldnt do a modulus inequality. Had a little panic attack (but didnt cry!) and went to town and bought grad clothes.

Looked at a P2 sample and Q8 was about satellites and incircles. Closed my exam papers.
    Perhaps OL is more my style :) :L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

How would you say in French?

"This novel shows the true value of friendship and trust" or something similar?

Also, any good sites for general essay phrases?

"Cette histoire nous montre le vraie valeur de l'amitié et de la confiance."

Idioms! IDK, when I'm writing out a practice piece I usually go onto news websites like Figaro, Le Monde, and France Inter and steal nice phrases about current topics from there. Then I stick 'em in my written pieces, works pretty well :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

Mayo_Boy wrote: »
    God i am so screwed for OL irish :o, for the essay part anyway. Ive done no essays in it since the mock and i got a terrible mark for the essay. What topics do people think I should focus on?

Immigration, the economy, and politics! I'd say there's a pretty good chance of stuff like that coming up this year, and plus Irish is a great language for complaining about people i.e politicians. :P

Hmmm...I calculated my worst possible grades (well obviously it could be lower but this is optimistically negative) with OL maths and it was something like this

English - B2
    French - A2
    Irish - B3
    Business - B3
    Geography - B2
    History - C2

Which would give me 465. I really dont think I'll get that low in English, French, Irish or geography either, which gives me a pretty much definite place in my course unless something went horribly wrong. And a C2 in history in itself is quite pessimistic, assuming I drop maths and focus more on it...

I just wish I knew if I'd pass HL or not, oh god >_>
    I'll stop posting about maths now :pac:

That's the grades I would hope to get!

Patchy, you're too hard on yourself :p

Well, I might be being a bit too hopeful with the French grade, who knows :P But you'll well get them! :D

I think I just expect too much of myself and put myself under an unnecessary amount of pressure :o Thank you for saying so, its nice to know I'm not being too easy at least :P

Well, I might be being a bit too hopeful with the French grade, who knows :P But you'll well get them! :D

I think I just expect too much of myself and put myself under an unnecessary amount of pressure :o Thank you for saying so, its nice to know I'm not being too easy at least :P

How much points do you need for your course?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Siobhnk

I don't know whether to drop down in maths :/ The teacher said I should pass it but if I get a dodgy paper on the day well I'm gone :( I'd need the extra points if I had a hope of getting my number 1, but I gave up on that dream long ago :P

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

That is actually one of the moments heart-sickening moments I've ever experienced :(:(:( 2 goal in 3 ****ing minutes ffs :(

• Advertisement

How much points do you need for your course?
    440ish as far as I remember (I should really know this haha), its languages in UCD, but I can do pretty much the exact same thing through arts, and I'm even considering just doing arts (which is 355ish) so I'm not limited to languages in case I develop an interest in other things over summer. I can definitely get it without HL maths but I've had a dream of getting over 500 points since 5th year, and to not get 500 I'd have to drop at least 30 points from my mocks, which'd be pretty embarrassing :o
    Siobhnk wrote: »
    I don't know whether to drop down in maths :/ The teacher said I should pass it but if I get a dodgy paper on the day well I'm gone :( I'd need the extra points if I had a hope of getting my number 1, but I gave up on that dream long ago :P
    I'm in the same position except I probably dont need the points. But can you imagine the horror of opening the exam, and not being able to do loads of it :eek: And then hoping P2 will save you...but it only makes it worse? Not even trying to scare you, this is just a recurrent thought of mine, its absolutely terrifying ;_;

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement