Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert '11/'12 Off-Topic 2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Namlub wrote: »
    Probably a stupid question but what does it mean on the timetable when it says 'The examination sessions highlighted in red include 20 minutes over and above the time traditionally allocated for the papers concerned'? (the red ones are English, Maths, Geography and History)

It's said that for a couple of years, they should really change it back to normal black font. Basically in the ye olde Leaving Cert of a couple of years ago, all those exams had 20 minutes less.

Eathrin wrote: »
    Has anyone ever remarked that the phrase is be grand?
    Grand is alright, things will always be grand. Now what ambitious me wants is great, or fantastic even.
    Study your ass off for 6th year? Be fantastic
    Doss the year? Be grand.:pac:

My brother always told me that 'grand' is anywhere between 40 and 85%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Togepi wrote: »
    It's said that for a couple of years, they should really change it back to normal black font. Basically in the ye olde Leaving Cert of a couple of years ago, all those exams had 20 minutes less.

Ohh, thanks. History used to be even shorter?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Where do yous reckon you'll be sitting in the exams? I hope I'm not near the front. I'm usually near the back . I don't even know which areas they use as the exam hall.

Ooh, thanks. History used to be even shorter?!

Apparently! :eek: :eek: :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

In relation to the comparative, how many points do you guys use and then elaborate on? 4 or 5, or could you get away with maybe 3 detailed elaborations?

And do ye use all 3 texts in each of your points?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Togepi wrote: »
    Apparently! :eek: :eek: :eek:

That's insane, whoever is responsible for the lenghth of the history exam is a cruel, cruel person :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Where do yous reckon you'll be sitting in the exams? I hope I'm not near the front. I'm usually near the back . I don't even know which areas they use as the exam hall.

I know my desk, in the classroom without blinds facing the school entrance and yep I'm at the window. So yeah I'll have the sun glaring on me for the duration of the exams while I'm looking outside the window at the people coming in and out of the school.
    Could not be worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Joey.

Geography with 20 minutes less? G'luck :pac:

The front, more than likely. I'm always at the front. My name is crap for the whole alphabetical order thing :mad:

I'll probably be near the door of the gym, and it opens a lot and tends to bang loudly. Yay.

I was put beside the leak last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

If I write a short story do I (i) have to title it? and (ii) have to include the given quotation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Meowth

I've finally snapped outta my I'm gonna be repeating attitude :D just thought ye should all know :P leaving cert come at me bro :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

If I write a short story do I (i) have to title it? and (ii) have to include the given quotation?
    I do neither :L But (ii) is preferable so I might try to do it.
    I've finally snapped outta my I'm gonna be repeating attitude :D just thought ye should all know :P leaving cert come at me bro :D
    Yaaaaaaaaay :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

Have been wondering about the quotation, I'm pretty sure you give it a title

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Has anyone ever remarked that the phrase is be grand?
    Grand is alright, things will always be grand. Now what ambitious me wants is great, or fantastic even.
    Study your ass off for 6th year? Be fantastic
    Doss the year? Be grand.:pac:

Few naggins...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

This forum is so active, procrastination :L

I usually title it with the question. I asked my teacher that the other day she said you can include it if you want or just make it somehow relate to the quotation. I always thought you needed to include it up until then. It doesn't even need to be focused on the quote it could just be something small.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

That's insane, whoever is responsible for the lenghth of the history exam is a cruel, cruel person :(

So do we actually get a tangible extra 20 mins?
    Our teacher said that was just to do with bureaucracy and/or paperwork.

An extra 5 mins per essay though would be class. Thats another paragraph, a lengthier conclusion.

I might also be able to salvage my hand for the next day too!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

No - we still have 45 mins per essay or whatever, its just that it used to be 40 before. Even an hour per essay would be reasonable but noooooo.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Afaik, I'm pretty sure you don't. But it'd probably be best to ask an expert like Patchy or something :P But I didn't do that in my mock and I wasn't marked down for it!

On a serious note, I think as of tomorrow night, I'm going to drop my Boards.ie usage. I've literally spent hours on this forum over the last few days and it's getting to the point that I can't help BUT be on boards every hour or two :( Sure, it's a great way to get away from the study but I've so much to do in my subjects and I don't want to jeopardise my chances of getting good grades, it could come down to the last few marks that could make me miss out on an A1 and that's 10 points! I think I'll just try get banned or something (I don't know how to block websites :( ) until French is over, then I've just Physics and Applied Maths anyway.
    Argh it's so frustrating because when I'm studying I just say "sure I'll just go on boards for a few minutes" and then I spend ages on it doing nothing and I just can't get into the mood to study :(

EDIT: Patchy already got there :P

• Advertisement

Sorry guys I'm posting this again, it's just I'm getting the comparative done now so I could use a bit of help :(.
    In relation to the comparative, how many points do you guys use and then elaborate on? 4 or 5, or could you get away with maybe 3 detailed elaborations?

And do ye use all 3 texts in each of your points? And do you need quotes?

Wesc. wrote: »
    Afaik, I'm pretty sure you don't. But it'd probably be best to ask an expert like Patchy or something :P But I didn't do that in my mock and I wasn't marked down for it!

On a serious note, I think as of tomorrow night, I'm going to drop my Boards.ie usage. I've literally spent hours on this forum over the last few days and it's getting to the point that I can't help BUT be on boards every hour or two :( Sure, it's a great way to get away from the study but I've so much to do in my subjects and I don't want to jeopardise my chances of getting good grades, it could come down to the last few marks that could make me miss out on an A1 and that's 10 points! I think I'll just try get banned or something (I don't know how to block websites :( ) until French is over, then I've just Physics and Applied Maths anyway.
    Argh it's so frustrating because when I'm studying I just say "sure I'll just go on boards for a few minutes" and then I spend ages on it doing nothing and I just can't get into the mood to study :(

Blocking websites is quite easy if you have a mac download self control or if it's a windows for firefox or google chrome download stay focused they really work :). Except I block everything but boards.

Hayezer wrote: »
    Sorry guys I'm posting this again, it's just I'm getting the comparative done now so I could use a bit of help :(.

And do ye use all 3 texts in each of your points? And do you need quotes?

You just write about the three texts like keep switching from one to the other in each paragraph and point out the differences and similarities , using the layout of whichever mode. You don't need quotes but it's good to have a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

How are ye planning on spending tomorrow seeing as Paper 1 is the day after?
    I think I will do this:
    • 9-12 Geography
    • 1-2 Look over English Paper 2 stuff
    • 2-3 Maths
    • 3-6 Going over Paper 1 essays and Section B's

Probably take a break from studying in the evening. I might watch a movie or something :D Brings back memories of the JC watching an aul film before Paper 1 :cool:

Story of my life. :( I think I'm going to have to get banned (again). :rolleyes: Unless... I learn self-discipline - pahaha not likely! :P :(

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

Gonna go for the ban too.. Boards isn't helping me I just end up feeling guilty, trying to convince myself that a marathon session stalking threads was helpful! Really don't wanna be around for the post-mortems either :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

How are you all preparing for English Paper 1?

I just think of a story or 2 and some nice sentences to put in and that's it really

Let's ALL get banned - that way we won't be missing out on any off-topic goss! :D :P

You just write about the three texts like keep switching from one to the other in each paragraph and point out the differences and similarities , using the layout of whichever mode. You don't need quotes but it's good to have a few.

Yeah but we did like 5 or 6 general vison points in class that are to make up the points in our essay of comparison. I was just wondering if you did 3 very well, including all 3 texts, would that be enough?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

Just requested the ban.. Already missing the banter :pac: See y'all in 3 weeks :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement