Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert '11/'12 Off-Topic 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

finality wrote: »
    I have one for literary genre! :D

omg soulmates

What so you condense your essay into a number of letters in your head?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

I have one for literary genre! :D

omg soulmates

BSMFL!!

(Boardsies Soul-Mates For Life) <3

:D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

No need. Waste of time :pac:
    +1
    rkeano5 wrote: »
    My teacher advised strongly against that, particularly if it's in red.
    Avoid red and green, examiners' colours.
    I've never done this quotes-in-a-different-colour thing. To me it detracts from the flow of the essay, both for me writing it and for someone else reading it. But it's personal preference.
    I'd agree, as someone who corrected English HL for a couple of years.
    reznov wrote: »
    Unrecommended proceduree unless you're quoting paragraphs.
    Agreed. Breaks the flow.
    Are you allowed to change the colour of pens for quotes? For example green or black?
    Yes, you're allowed, but why bother?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Diamondsandrose

NO. That'd really infuriate an examiner and it's a big waste of time swapping from pen to pen in my opinion! What i've always done to make my quotes stand out is use this method (and it makes the essay look extra long :P)

We see Polonius' cynicism regarding young love and human relationships when he utilises animal imagery to describe how Hamlet:

'Walks with a larger tether'

He also says how he will:

'loose his daughter'

Maybe it's a bad idea but I always skip lines!

Polonius babe, please be on the paper <3 :P

Polonius is a babe alright :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

How much do you write when your explaining a point in business, lets say for a 20 mark question (so 4 points). How much would you write, two or three sentences? Also could someone please tell me when you put in examples. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Eathrin wrote: »

I have about ten headings for my comparative essay, so I took the first letter of each and then made a sentence using those letters as the first letter of each word to make it easy to remember the essay. I have to learn the points under each heading too, but it's way easier now that I'm guaranteed to remember each heading!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

I actually learnt off one or two for JC history. :L I preferred acronyms though, I had one for the buildings in some type of monastery, "cacrids" and I still remember what it stood for...

I love acronyms :o
    Acronyms <3 I make them for business, but they're usually immature. For public limited company benefits my acronym is CTPMS so I remember it as 'control PMS', as in "PLCs are good for controlling PMS"...I'm odd :pac:

My JC Irish teacher made one and it was "fap", and she'd always make us say them with 'a lot of jizz!', and she'd literally be at the top of the class going "Whats point number 10? Think! Think! FAP!" :pac::pac:
    Wesc. wrote: »
    Afaik, globalisation is essentially the same as colonialism, you just focus a wee bit more on how Brazil adjusted to the world economy. But your answer on colonialism should be perfect!
    I've been confused over this lately - if it says the impact of colonialism can you say that it made it hard to adjust to globalisation, then talk about it? And if it says adjustment to globalisation could you say 'it had to recover from colonialism, whose effects were...'? Such a handy question but so ambiguous!
    I'd agree, as someone who corrected English HL for a couple of years.
    ...I thought you were like 19! :pac: Correct it this year and giz an A1 there randy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Guys for the Option Essay in Geography (Geoecology) does anyone know if a Diagram counts as an SRP? I was talking about how Plant have adapted to the Soil of the Tropical Rainforest and drew a Soil profile of a laterite and labelled the horizons, trail of nutrients when leached to B Horizon, dark upper O horizon, parent material C horizon and that?

Merci beaucoup!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Eathrin wrote: »

yes. my literary genre essay is

sdsdsfncm

:P

Guys for the Option Essay in Geography (Geoecology) does anyone know if a Diagram counts as an SRP? I was talking about how Plant have adapted to the Soil of the Tropical Rainforest and drew a Soil profile of a laterite and labelled the horizons, trail of nutrients when leached to B Horizon, dark upper O horizon, parent material C horizon and that?

Merci beaucoup!

2 Marks (1 SRP), that's if it's relevant to the question being asked. That's what our teacher says anyway.

Could you scroll up and answer mine if you don't mind. :D

• Advertisement

yes. my literary genre essay is

sdsdsfncm

:P

I doubt you'd get many marks for that, it's not even a proper word. Have you considered Ordinary? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

Hey lads. :)

Could anyone give me a really simple definition for translation in the protein synthesis part of biology?

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

Hey lads. :)

Could anyone give me a really simple definition for translation in the protein synthesis part of biology?

RNA --> Protein :D :L

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Patchy~ wrote: »
    I've been confused over this lately - if it says the impact of colonialism can you say that it made it hard to adjust to globalisation, then talk about it? And if it says adjustment to globalisation could you say 'it had to recover from colonialism, whose effects were...'? Such a handy question but so ambiguous!

That's exactly what I do yeah, but I've about 18 SRPs in my answer so I should definitely get full marks. Just for globalisation I say one extra thing about Brazil adjusting to new trade routes, and I leave out the fact that they were exploited as a source of raw materials. It's fine sure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

Boeing777 wrote: »
    RNA --> Protein :D :L

A1. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

A1. :P

Thats the plan alright :p It's all about being concise :rolleyes: :L

Wesc. wrote: »
    That's exactly what I do yeah, but I've about 18 SRPs in my answer so I should definitely get full marks. Just for globalisation I say one extra thing about Brazil adjusting to new trade routes, and I leave out the fact that they were exploited as a source of raw materials. It's fine sure!
    Would you mind explaining how to link them? :P I looked in the Sue Honan book and she just kind of launches into it but it seems irrelevant :o My books not the best either!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

My JC Irish teacher made one and it was "fap", and she'd always make us say them with 'a lot of jizz!', and she'd literally be at the top of the class going "Whats point number 10? Think! Think! FAP!" :pac: :pac:
    Bet ye remembered it though! :pac:
    ...I thought you were like 19! :pac:
    I was a child prodigy!! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

We see Polonius' cynicism regarding young love and human relationships when he utilises animal imagery to describe how Hamlet:

'Walks with a larger tether'

He also says how he will:

'loose his daughter'

Maybe it's a bad idea but I always skip lines!

Its not a bad idea! :) That was how I always did out my quotes, along with indenting slightly either side so the quote would stand out. For some shorter quotes that fit into a sentence, I would just leave them on the same line so that it would flow better, usually if you had more to add to the sentence after the quote. Swapping between pens just wastes time in a time consuming exam like English.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Martin_94 wrote: »
    How much do you write when your explaining a point in business, lets say for a 20 mark question (so 4 points). How much would you write, two or three sentences? Also could someone please tell me when you put in examples. Thanks.
    For a 20 marker in Business you do 4 points @ 5 marks each. The 5 marks are broken down into: 1 mark- Name, 2 marks explain, 2 marks example. You always put the example at the end of the statement you've made. All together i'd be doing 5-6 lines for every 5 marks. So about 3/4's of a page for a 20 marker!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Would you mind explaining how to link them? :P I looked in the Sue Honan book and she just kind of launches into it but it seems irrelevant :o My books not the best either!

Oh my answer is based on the one in Sue Honan's book. Well I just start off by saying that brazil was once a colony like a bit of background info., then go on to say how it's economy has developed. Y'know stuff like the Mercosur and the Import Substitution Programme. My answer on globalisation is practically identical to my one on colonialism, but just throw in the word globalisation a few times instead of colonialism. You don't really have to link them, because then answer deals with both! All the stuff about colonialism is relevant in a globalisation answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Incompetent

For a 20 marker in Business you do 4 points @ 5 marks each. The 5 marks are broken down into: 1 mark- Name, 2 marks explain, 2 marks example. You always put the example at the end of the statement you've made. All together i'd be doing 5-6 lines for every 5 marks. So about 3/4's of a page for a 20 marker!

Are examples necessaryall the time? If so could ya give me an example of an example? haha

Haha grand then I'll do that! :D Thanks Wesc! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

On the topic of quoting, what way does everyone do it for poetry? If I'm quoting something that spans over 2 lines, I usually put a / in between the two lines, but is it necessary if what you're saying kind of runs on to the next line anyway? For example, here's an extract from a Plath essay I did: A startling image is presented to us - "I'm no more your mother / Than the cloud that distils a mirror to reflect its own slow / Effacement at the wind's hand." We've never really been told how to quote, and any time I've seen quotes in a book or anything it's been like that, but it can be a bit of a pain so just wondering if it's necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Ally7

Translation- the conversion of a sequence Of bases on mRNA into a sequence of amino acids.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

Someone just cycled past my house on a unicyle.. In other news got 98% in my first and only English short story :D Paper 1, come at me!

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭AnnaKin

keep having moments where I panic way too much, then half an hour later i'm "sure it'll be grand" when it reeeeaaaallllly isnt! Ugh its awful!

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Diamondsandrose

I'm certainly leaving this thread soon.

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

I'm certainly leaving this thread soon.

:cool:

Poor attempt, C2:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Deserves more than a C2.

Maybe a....
    C-Ul8r? :D