Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert '11/'12 Off-Topic 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Incompetent

rkeano5 wrote: »
    I don't know about the exam skills book, but it's easy enough to talk about the effects of Globalisation using China as an example. Do you have ''Today's World''?

I'm doing Brazil, and no I don't think so. Our teacher didn't use the book, so of course I don't have his notes any more!

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

All male poets are easy :) Never did see why so many people enjoy Plath's. Poppies in July is an awful poem

Also why do we have English as our first exam in the Leaving Cert? Surely it would make more sense to have Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭skyscraperblue

All male poets are easy :) Never did see why so many people enjoy Plath's. Poppies in July is an awful poem

Also why do we have English as our first exam in the Leaving Cert? Surely it would make more sense to have Irish.

The order of the exams is done in such a way as to get as many people as possible finished as quickly as possible. They start with English because EVERYONE takes English, whereas there's a significant number who are exempt from Irish. (But both Englishes aren't on the same day anymore to stop our hands falling off. :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

Do we need quotes for comparative? Just realised I long lost my How many Miles to Babylon and Hamlet yay.
    If we don't need quotes, Hamlet in comparative is the job :D. Dancing at Lughnasa is our single text and thats fairly easy

Ah I see. Brings to mind another question. Why is English a compulsory subject? I honestly couldn't care less about the language. It's a shame we don't speak Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭The High Crusade

The order of the exams is done in such a way as to get as many people as possible finished as quickly as possible. They start with English because EVERYONE takes English, whereas there's a significant number who are exempt from Irish. (But both Englishes aren't on the same day anymore to stop our hands falling off. :p)

I like English P.1 first because what I noticed from the mocks, as I was reading through the comprehensions at the very start it calmed my nerves. Found it so helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

Lads what's your opinions on only writing about two texts for the comparative when they say "With reference to at least two texts you have studied"

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭rkeano5

Question: Am I the only leaving cert that doesn't learn off essays for any of my subjects?

I look over previous answers in English, Geography and History but mainly just rely on knowing notes for writing the essays.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Question: Am I the only leaving cert that doesn't learn off essays for any of my subjects?

I look over previous answers in English, Geography and History but mainly just rely on knowing notes for writing the essays.

Nah I don't even write old essays, I think of new essays based on the question, obviously that's not a good thing though for the LC.
    Maybe I should learn some plans.

This counts as studying, right?

• Advertisement

Eathrin wrote: »
    Nah I don't even write old essays, I think of new essays based on the question, obviously that's not a good thing though for the LC.

Making out plans is the most I ever do,but hey, it's worked so far for me:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

Haven't learned off a single essay since the beginning of 5th year. Pointless to do so when questions are specific. Use your creativity and maximise potential marks. You'll be safe for the purpose aspect instantly.

Eathrin wrote: »

Respect for creativity and imaginaitive, original answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

M&S* wrote: »
    Lads what's your opinions on only writing about two texts for the comparative when they say "With reference to at least two texts you have studied"

Bad idea. I don't even know why they say "at least 2", I think they actually say in the marking scheme to deduct marks if less than 3 texts are used.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭skyscraperblue

finality wrote: »
    Bad idea. I don't even know why they say "at least 2", I think they actually say in the marking scheme to deduct marks if less than 3 texts are used.

They don't - the marking scheme also says 'at least two'. Seems like a reeeeeally dodgy strategy though... :/

Use three texts if it is the 70 marker.
    If 30/40, reference one in the 30 marker and two in the forty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

They don't - the marking scheme also says 'at least two'. Seems like a reeeeeally dodgy strategy though... :/

Yeah I think I imagined that. :L But you definitely lose marks :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

reznov wrote: »
    Haven't learned off a single essay since the beginning of 5th year. Pointless to do so when questions are specific. Use your creativity and maximise potential marks. You'll be safe for the purpose aspect instantly.

Does that mean you learned off essays for the Junior Cert? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭smithy77

Just a quick question:p :

Would a persuasive essay be the same as a persuasive speech (2003 composition q.2 = Write a persuasive article or essay in which you attempt to convince people of the meaning and importance of heroes in life)

Togepi wrote: »
    Does that mean you learned off essays for the Junior Cert? :eek:

No of course not. Don't be silly. :P I did feck all for JC.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

No of course not. Don't be silly. :P I did feck all for JC.

Good! I was getting worried there. :P

Togepi wrote: »
    Good! I was getting worried there. :P

As if anybody takes the JC seriously. "Sure it's just the junior."

*2 years pass*

"Ah sure I'll repeat the leaving."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Happy happy birthday :) Don't study too much today :) Little break can't hurt :)

Oh Joey I member you telling me that :( we have to do something after economics, like our whole class :P last class to have an exam in that school :P
    ha btw did you hear the roof is coming off while we are doing the leaving ? :rolleyes: our school truly hates us :P

Thanks haha I did much less than planned only learnt one geography essay and spent 2hours learning sequences and series. I still have a lot more to do today :).

Human Elective for Geography is done. 13 essays, took me 5 hours to learn them all! Now I have 4 Geoecology essays to try and get done today, if I get them all covered i'll be happy! Physical is fairly handy so i've only Regional to do and I should be covered for the A hopefully!

How do you learn off 13 essays in 5 hours? do you just recite them and memorise them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Just did an Irish listening there....
    Feel like a boss for nearly getting everything right :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Diamondsandrose

Here for the Hamlet essay does anyone write quotes in a different colour to make them stand out? Only just thought of it there but I'm not sure if it'd be appropriate for an English exam?

Here for the Hamlet essay does anyone write quotes in a different colour to make them stand out? Only just thought of it there but I'm not sure if it'd be appropriate for an English exam?

Always have done so. Don't use a red coloured ink.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭The High Crusade

I just put the quotation marks in red to make them more noticeable.

Always have done so. Don't use a red coloured ink.

oh :(

No need. Waste of time :pac:

My teacher advised strongly against that, particularly if it's in red.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Diamondsandrose

Woah mixed messages! :p Dunno, I've been told to do it in the likes of ABQs in business but obviously that's not an english exam!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement