Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Naas/Newbridge Bypass Upgrade [Junction 9a now open]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Thats a great photo Mr. Brennan. Looks like the J10 bridge, right?

Reason for me asking is that in the photo both sides of the Mway are 3 lanes. I have just come home from work, and the SB side is 2 laned. Did something happen that they closed one lane?

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Pablod

Just an FYI
    Source: KildareCoCo
    M7 Naas-Newbridge By-Pass Upgrade Notification of Traffic Management Works
    Temporary off-peak (overnight) slip closure and diversion on Monday/Tuesday 17/18 June

From 11pm tonight, 17 June 2019, on the N7/M7 Westbound carriageway, the Junction 9 (Naas North) off- slip will be temporarily closed, with traffic diverted westbound to exit at M7 Junction 10 (Naas South) and rejoin the M7 Eastbound and exit at Junction 9 Eastbound.

Traffic will be advised to use Junction 8 (Johnstown) off-slip for Naas on approach. The slip lane will be re-opened before 5am on Tuesday 18 June. This closure is necessary in order to facilitate essential works on the M7 Upgrade project.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,668 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Thats a great photo Mr. Brennan. Looks like the J10 bridge, right?

Reason for me asking is that in the photo both sides of the Mway are 3 lanes. I have just come home from work, and the SB side is 2 laned. Did something happen that they closed one lane?

I'm guessing photoshop as the outbound stretch is indeed still 2 Ianes for now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Knowing Beat FM it might not even be the M7.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,668 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Knowing Beat FM it might not even be the M7.

Actually, looking at it closer I think you may be on to something there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

That isn’t the M7 lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

That isn't even in Ireland! Look at the style of the gantries!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭JohnC.

It's a Getty Images stock photo. I see it being used in articles from US to India, sometimes mirrored.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭prunudo

Just shows you, take anything you see or read on the internet with a pinch of salt. Lazy journalism at its finest.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

Pablod wrote: »
    Was on it around 7:00 this morning,
    Flowing much better - majority of traffic stuck to lanes 2 & 3

obviously hard to gauge impact it will have at the moment until full stretch is 3 lanes and when schools are fully open etc.

But its a good start! :)

Good to see lane one being completely unused. It looks like the M50 already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

markpb wrote: »
    Pablod wrote: »
    Was on it around 7:00 this morning,
    Flowing much better - majority of traffic stuck to lanes 2 & 3

obviously hard to gauge impact it will have at the moment until full stretch is 3 lanes and when schools are fully open etc.

But its a good start! :)

You don't appear to be using it yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭ScallionAyter

Says he, taking a picture from the middle lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭rameire

You don't appear to be using it yourself?
    Says he, taking a picture from the middle lane.

if you look back this is Pablod picture that markpd used.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

I can guarantee that poor lane useage will not be address. Millions basically wasted without doing so.

No doubt they’ll prob increase speed enforcement though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I can guarantee that poor lane useage will not be address. Millions basically wasted without doing so.

Don't worry anyone driving in the left lane and overtaking will soon be accused of "skipping lanes" and "cutting out" in front of the middle lane hoggers.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Don't worry anyone driving in the left lane and overtaking will soon be accused of "skipping lanes" and "cutting out" in front of the middle lane hoggers.

This is where variable speed limits with enforcement work. All three lanes would travel at the speed limit - exactly - so no-one needs to change lanes and all three lanes are used.

[Well, that is how it works in any of the UK ones I have experienced.]

Of course, enforcement is required.

This is where variable speed limits with enforcement work. All three lanes would travel at the speed limit - exactly - so no-one needs to change lanes and all three lanes are used.

[Well, that is how it works in any of the UK ones I have experienced.]

Of course, enforcement is required.

People will inevitably drive below the limit, in the middle lane of course. Infuriating.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Frankly I'm not concerned about lane behavior. The left lane will be used by mainly trucks and those exiting at the junctions. And whilst lane behavior is very good in the uk, it's poor in many countries and difficult to change it in any meaningful way.

Therefore, I simply ignore it and don't let it upset me.

Darc19 wrote: »
    Frankly I'm not concerned about lane behavior. The left lane will be used by mainly trucks and those exiting at the junctions. And whilst lane behavior is very good in the uk, it's poor in many countries and difficult to change it in any meaningful way.

Therefore, I simply ignore it and don't let it upset me.

Are you serious? Poor lane usage hugely reduces the capacity of the road. Why on earth did we spend millions adding an additional lane if no one is using the bloody thing.

Are you serious? Poor lane usage hugely reduces the capacity of the road. Why on earth did we spend millions adding an additional lane if no one is using the bloody thing.

It doesn't.
    When it's busy you can be sure that lane one will be filled.

It was busy at 8am this morning and plenty of vehicles using lane one.

• Advertisement

It doesn't.
    When it's busy you can be sure that lane one will be filled.

It was busy at 8am this morning and plenty of vehicles using lane one.

I was on it too and it was utterly frustrating being in lane 1. It was half empty at that time with lane 2 being jammed.

Proper enforcement is required on this road and fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I think the reason is that the official speed restrictions apply to both carriageways and you can't change one carriageway without changing the other. Hence the change next week.
    .[/QUOTE

The N11 has different speed limits on each carriageway at the Glen of the Downs and at Kilmacanogue

I think the reason is that the official speed restrictions apply to both carriageways and you can't change one carriageway without changing the other. Hence the change next week.
    .[/QUOTE

The N11 has different speed limits on each carriageway at the Glen of the Downs and at Kilmacanogue

That's either a permanent limit or if it's in roadworks it was applied for on a separate basis.

On M7 the application did not differentiate between the carriageways so I presume that's the primary reason

No place for speed vans at present anyway :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,060 ✭✭✭✭beertons

There's a ramp at Osberstown to pull in, but holy moley there was some bang there today. Warm weather, and the need to open a window, they wouldn't be long hanging around!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The three lanes eastbound from J10 is most welcome. The 60km/h limit had zero compliance at 6pm today.

Westbound looks like it's almost ready to go.

Lots of new signage up also, ADS for J9A is up and uncovered just west of J9. Signed Kilcock/Clane/Sallins/Millenium Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Drove it yesterday again and delighted to have the 3 lanes open. I was the only car in left lane and quiet happy to plod along at around 60. As others have mentioned the other few cars that were doing 60 were hogging the middle lane.
    So they build an extra lane and people won’t won’t use it .
    No speed vans the last couple of days but they do have plenty of new locations they can park up.

Junction 11 (m9 merge) overnight closures schedule for 13th & 14th July. With additional closure possible the following weekend if the planned works are not completed.

That suggests that the entire length will be open by end of July

That suggests that the entire length will be open by end of July

That was the most recent completion date. It would be soooo good. If you travelled up and down in the same day at peak you're going to get back an hour of you leisure time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

marno21 wrote: »
    The three lanes eastbound from J10 is most welcome. The 60km/h limit had zero compliance at 6pm today.

Westbound looks like it's almost ready to go.

Lots of new signage up also, ADS for J9A is up and uncovered just west of J9. Signed Kilcock/Clane/Sallins/Millenium Park.

Any chance of getting images of these new signs up onto the thread?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

pad199207 wrote: »
    Any chance of getting images of these new signs up onto the thread?
    I doubt it for the near future, as the new sign that I referenced is where there are 2 lanes with barriers up just west of J9. It'd be quite difficult to get a picture until the 3 lanes + shoulder opens (unless there's an overbridge nearby).

Advertisement