Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Naas/Newbridge Bypass Upgrade [Junction 9a now open]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

tom1ie wrote: »
    HOW DARE THEY!

You might think it's funny but thousands of people have lost time with their children and other loved ones thanks to the roadworks and the traffic congestion it causes. It looks set to continue over the summer as well, probably into the autumn and maybe well into 2020 on top of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭regedit

Emme wrote: »
    What have schools finishing got to do with it?
    Think is that the volume of cars on the road will decrease. The argument for not working longer hours with this project has often pertained to heavy traffic and health and safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Emme wrote: »
    You might think it's funny but thousands of people have lost time with their children and other loved ones thanks to the roadworks and the traffic congestion it causes. It looks set to continue over the summer as well, probably into the autumn and maybe well into 2020 on top of that.
    While I tend to sing off the same hymn sheet as You Emme, I sincerely hope You are wrong here!!

On another notwe, can I ask, when they will start doing something with the bridge at KG? They closed the M7 to install the bridge, and it looks like it's exactly as it was when reopened after the closure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

While I tend to sing off the same hymn sheet as You Emme, I sincerely hope You are wrong here!!

On another notwe, can I ask, when they will start doing something with the bridge at KG? They closed the M7 to install the bridge, and it looks like it's exactly as it was when reopened after the closure.

I presume the priority is to get the lanes open, as it should be.

I presume the priority is to get the lanes open, as it should be.

You could well be right Soupy Norman, but won't there be lane restrictions on the road under the bridge while working on the bridge - surely there is a health & safety factor here?

Came on at J10 heading north this morning, and must say from J10 to about 3 kms it looks like the Mway is nearly ready for opening. Wish I could say the same for the inside lane on the SB side opposite.

• Advertisement

You could well be right Soupy Norman, but won't there be lane restrictions on the road under the bridge while working on the bridge - surely there is a health & safety factor here?

Came on at J10 heading north this morning, and must say from J10 to about 3 kms it looks like the Mway is nearly ready for opening. Wish I could say the same for the inside lane on the SB side opposite.

It does appear that the slowest work seems to be nearly done, drainage is in and the verges are looking complete.

Scraping and laying the top layer is fast work. J9 to J8 is all scraped and cleared for the laying , does look like we’ll start to see lane openings soon.

Schools finishing should see us to the finish line with lighter traffic all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭benny79

I pass at 2 am this morning on way home from airport and they were machines and lads working on the inbound side heading to Dublin so there is some night work been done.. Hopefully not long now..

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

Passing home on the Millennium Park road yesterday and there were about 8-10 gravel trucks up at the side of the bridge. Looked like they were starting to fill in the missing foundation to bring the deck inline with the ramp.

I drove to work this morning from Naas. The slip road (the future left driving lane) has been tarmacked but I noticed defects in the final layer. At least 3-4 areas with depression on the road. This is the final lawyer so, I guess they'll have to rectify it. Not sure if other noticed it and unsure if there's such defects in other sections of the motorway

• Registered Users Posts: 7,127 ✭✭✭pad199207

Spotted some new road signs on the stretch today. Destinations signs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭soundman45

What way is the M9 to M7 merge now, is it still single lane and are there any major delays there?

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Dero123

soundman45 wrote: »
    What way is the M9 to M7 merge now, is it still single lane and are there any major delays there?
    It’s only a single lane has not been any major delays thanks god, I hit it about 745 most weekdays

A big difference compared to a few weeks ago.
    A small crew of builders working today so, it must be crunch time.

ffd5r9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,713 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Nice little gap in the middle for when the 4th lane is needed!!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I assume there's a support for the bridge in that gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Tomrota

The motorway is very wide between Naas and Johnstown exits, are they putting in an auxiliary/exit lane?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,127 ✭✭✭pad199207

Tomrota wrote: »
    The motorway is very wide between Naas and Johnstown exits, are they putting in an auxiliary/exit lane?

It would make sense to yes. Remember there was a two lane off ramp for the Naas North exit outbound

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Avoid south bound now or planning on using it ...car on its roof in the roadworks just after Naas.
    Same story car flying along and had to slam on breaks when car in front was doing the 60.

harr wrote: »
    Avoid south bound now or planning on using it ...car on its roof in the roadworks just after Naas.
    Same story car flying along and had to slam on breaks when cat in front was doing the 60.

... that's one fast cat :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

BuzzFish wrote: »
    ... that's one fast cat :D
    :):):)

• Advertisement

Plenty of work now on the J9 part of the site. Been closing it overnight over the past week, I got diverted myself through Johnstown last Thursday morning at 5am

http://kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/PressReleasesAdverts/M7NaasNewbridgeBy-PassUpgradeRoadworksNotifications.html

I wonder if they have left this area to last purposely to keep the area from looking "finished" and thus attempt to encourage the slowing traffic into the works site at J9.

The rest of the carriageway is really looking to be completing out at this stage. J9A seems to be coming back into focus for the teams now too with a lot of activity over the past week again.

Progress is definitely being made but I can only see the first half, from junction 9 to 10, being completed fully by July. We will get all three lanes, the whole way out to Junction 11 by September 1st though I predict.

Does anyone know what the speed limit will be, after the 60km restriction has been lifted?

I think it is vitally important that the speed is reduced to 100km at J11 and then down to 80km at Junction 9 (and vice versa) or the benefits of the third lane will be negligible due to traffic volume as traffic backs up from the M50 and causes the accordion effect out to Junction 5/6/7 and beyond.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

It's motorway outbound from Junction 8 right?

The only motorway I've driven with 80km, is the northern section of M50, with the crazy interchange onto/off of the M1. Unless there's a complex junction being designed around there, I doubt it'll have an exceptionally low rated speed limit in those sections. As it doesn't change that the honus should always be on the driver to be in the proper lane for entering/exiting the roadway (even though we know in reality that's often not the case).

As it is, they have been increasing speed limits outbound right off the M50. Trying to get a relatively high speed of traffic traffic as soon as they can. I doubt they'd reduce it for a stretch a small bit further out.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

It's motorway outbound from Junction 8 right?

The only motorway I've driven with 80km, is the northern section of M50, with the crazy interchange onto/off of the M1. Unless there's a complex junction being designed around there, I doubt it'll have an exceptionally low rated speed limit in those sections. As it doesn't change that the honus should always be on the driver to be in the proper lane for entering/exiting the roadway (even though we know in reality that's often not the case).

As it is, they have been increasing speed limits outbound right off the M50. Trying to get a relatively high speed of traffic traffic as soon as they can. I doubt they'd reduce it for a stretch a small bit further out.

Motorway starts at J9.

Progress is definitely being made but I can only see the first half, from junction 9 to 10, being completed fully by July. We will get all three lanes, the whole way out to Junction 11 by September 1st though I predict.

Does anyone know what the speed limit will be, after the 60km restriction has been lifted?

I think it is vitally important that the speed is reduced to 100km at J11 and then down to 80km at Junction 9 (and vice versa) or the benefits of the third lane will be negligible due to traffic volume as traffic backs up from the M50 and causes the accordion effect out to Junction 5/6/7 and beyond.

Why would You think an 80kph is vital? Especially going SB, surely when the project is complete it ought to be 120kph?

On an aside, I still forsee speed restrictions being enforced ( J9A ) around KG while the bridge is being worked on.

Finally, can see the end in sight. North bound (from what I could see) J10 inward was pretty much complete apart from road markings and cat's eyes. Southbound more work required, but getting there.

Finally, can see the end in sight. North bound (from what I could see) J10 inward was pretty much complete apart from road markings and cat's eyes. Southbound more work required, but getting there.

Feels like there is more of the road without barrier than with.

Feels like progress for sure.

Some great news (except for the speed limit!):

Subject to favourable weather conditions and completion of all necessary activities, 3 lanes will be available to traffic on the M7/N7 eastbound carriageway from Junction 10 (Naas South) through to Junction 8 (Johnstown) from Sunday 16th June. Westbound looks to be the week after from the pic below

Motorists are advised that an enforced reduced temporary speed limit will remain in place while works are ongoing in certain locations to the verge/hard shoulder area.

23d67ebd-3ac4-4411-bbce-68e9de4424ed.JPG

http://www.m7upgrade.com/

BuzzFish wrote: »
    Some great news (except for the speed limit!):

Subject to favourable weather conditions and completion of all necessary activities, 3 lanes will be available to traffic on the M7/N7 eastbound carriageway from Junction 10 (Naas South) through to Junction 8 (Johnstown) from Sunday 16th June.

Motorists are advised that an enforced reduced temporary speed limit will remain in place while works are ongoing in certain locations to the verge/hard shoulder area.

http://www.m7upgrade.com/

Eastbound... Is that North for us using old money :) Good news for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Eastbound... Is that North for us using old money :) Good news for sure.

West is southbound
    East is northbound

Advertisement