Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Naas/Newbridge Bypass Upgrade [Junction 9a now open]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

MaceFace wrote: »
    Who said that?

TII did

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/m7-three-lane-motorway-to-open-ahead-of-schedule-in-april-1.3753743?mode=amp

Published in January...
    Transport Infrastructure Ireland (TII) confirmed on Thursday that the contractor, Siac/Colas JV, had informed Kildare County Council, the Department of Transport and TII, that the three lanes of the M7 motorway would be operational in both directions by April 2019. Temporary reductions in speed limits have been in force for some time.

It's delayed to at least July now.

https://amp.independent.ie/irish-news/motorists-face-more-m7-misery-with-roadworks-to-last-until-july-38019534.html

Published in April

Roadworks on the M7 were originally expected to be completed by early 2019. But in January the estimated completion date was changed to April.

Following a meeting at Kildare County Council yesterday, local Labour councillor Mark Wall confirmed the project's estimated completion date has now been pushed back to the end of July.

I'm sure I'll get attacked for posting this.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Last Stop

M17/18, Newlands Cross and Luas Cross City are all examples of projects TII have delivered on time and on budget.

Can anyone point to a similar project internationally which has been completed quicker? I mean a specific project and not a blanket claim “that China would have built it in 6 months”. If there is not a similar project then it’s probably best to trust TII rather than being an armchair expert.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Kamili wrote: »

Rest assured I won't be attacking You Kamili. In fact I thank You.

Not sure what was wrong on the M7 today. I drove up to B&Q in Naas and as I passed over the M7 just before the Nundle ofSticks, the SB carriageway was at a standstill. This was about 16h00.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,713 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Not sure what was wrong on the M7 today. I drove up to B&Q in Naas and as I passed over the M7 just before the Nundle ofSticks, the SB carriageway was at a standstill. This was about 16h00.

This is normal enough unfortunately.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Match traffic. Meath v Carlow and Dublin v Louth in Portlaoise this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Same again at 11pm last night except NB.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Be well and win

looks like most of the barriers northbound after the Newbridge exit have been removed and many stacked in a field. Just cones now which suggests they are close to final tarring that section

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Eoghanj

I traveled up the M7 this morning, and there is certainly progress north bound from Naas South onward. Most of the barriers have been removed and replaced with cones, and the tarmac laying is well under way. There are still a few places where work is still needed, particularly after Naas North, but much of the rest of it is near completion. We should see three lanes open northbound soon, but I cant see it happening by Friday with the work remaining at Naas North.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

Last Stop wrote: »
    M17/18, Newlands Cross and Luas Cross City are all examples of projects TII have delivered on time and on budget.

Can anyone point to a similar project internationally which has been completed quicker? I mean a specific project and not a blanket claim “that China would have built it in 6 months”. If there is not a similar project then it’s probably best to trust TII rather than being an armchair expert.

Yes, Luas Cross City was completed on time, just that it then was running with no additional trams for a few months, and commuters stuffed in like sardines, or left behind at stations. Please don't tell me that having extra trams ready for the new six kilometres of tram line wasn't part of the project. If it was then then sorry, the project wasn't delivered on time. That was just more spin. If it wasn't that would be a joke - what would be the point a tram line without trams to run on it (of course it was).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

On for a bit of a rant, first off it seems a good bit of progress being made. I traveled the m7 late Friday night 10.30 and again early Saturday morning 6.30 and it looks like some are working all night or late nights and very early starts.
    Lots of barriers down and lots of tar laid in the last week.
    My rant being drivers are again going full speed in certain locations where a speed van can’t be located just this morning when I was entering the 60 zone a white van doing full 120 or above all most went into the back of me and then nearly under a lorry as he swerved to avoid me and the ****er had the neck to give me the finger and drive up my arse the rest of the roads works.
    Then on way home total gird lock because another driver smashed into the back of someone else in similar circumstances and went into barriers.
    Again this evening road is at a standstill because of two small accidents In two different locations.
    No sign of speed van at any location in the last 5 days ... this usual spots are now blocked off.

Rant over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Darwin

I travelled the whole stretch northbound last Sunday morning and was one of the few cars keeping to 60kph - cars, vans, buses and even artics were passing me by. I think a contributory factor is the newly laid surface and possibly the road being slightly wider which I suppose makes it inviting to speed (plus not a go safe van in sight). Like harr I didn't feel that safe keeping to the speed limit. Sooner this project is finished the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Bindertwine

Travelled through the M7 Nass roadworks today, I set my cruise control at 63klm per hour> I was amazed that 4 vans passed me on the inside of the barrier ie the work zone, thy were doing atleast 75-80klms per hour, inside the work zone.
    Surely this is a major safety issue, when they are penalising the drivers on the road itself and the twats driving inside the work zone are going faster !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Last Stop

Yes, Luas Cross City was completed on time, just that it then was running with no additional trams for a few months, and commuters stuffed in like sardines, or left behind at stations. Please don't tell me that having extra trams ready for the new six kilometres of tram line wasn't part of the project. If it was then then sorry, the project wasn't delivered on time. That was just more spin. If it wasn't that would be a joke - what would be the point a tram line without trams to run on it (of course it was).

Luas Cross City and the Green Line Capacity Enhancement are/were 2 different projects. The later involved the purchase of new trams.
    TII tend to keep infrastructure projects separate to avoid issues regarding maintenance periods and ensure the procurement of the same type of trams.
    Plus the capacity enhancement involved the lengthening of all existing trams so it made sense to make it a separate contract.
    Should it have been completed in line with LCC? Absolutely! But the fault there lies with the NTA and Lord Ross.
    So Luas Cross City was delivered on time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

harr wrote: »
    On for a bit of a rant, first off it seems a good bit of progress being made. I traveled the m7 late Friday night 10.30 and again early Saturday morning 6.30 and it looks like some are working all night or late nights and very early starts.
    Lots of barriers down and lots of tar laid in the last week.
    My rant being drivers are again going full speed in certain locations where a speed van can’t be located just this morning when I was entering the 60 zone a white van doing full 120 or above all most went into the back of me and then nearly under a lorry as he swerved to avoid me and the ****er had the neck to give me the finger and drive up my arse the rest of the roads works.
    Then on way home total gird lock because another driver smashed into the back of someone else in similar circumstances and went into barriers.
    Again this evening road is at a standstill because of two small accidents In two different locations.
    No sign of speed van at any location in the last 5 days ... this usual spots are now blocked off.

Rant over

.....drive up my arse the rest of the roads works

Were you hogging the overtaking lane by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

McCrack wrote: »

No I definitely wasn’t it just this particular driver being an absolute prick and taught he could intimidate me , bit of a dick thing to do with 3 kids in the car.
    He had plenty of opportunity to pass me but decided my bumper was the place he wanted to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

McCrack wrote: »

With the restrictions on the motorway due to the road works it's not classed as a over taking lane.it just a double laned road .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Travelled through the M7 Nass roadworks today, I set my cruise control at 63klm per hour> I was amazed that 4 vans passed me on the inside of the barrier ie the work zone, thy were doing atleast 75-80klms per hour, inside the work zone.
    Surely this is a major safety issue, when they are penalising the drivers on the road itself and the twats driving inside the work zone are going faster !!!

Not surprised in the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Roryhy

ZX7R wrote: »
    With the restrictions on the motorway due to the road works it's not classed as a over taking lane.it just a double laned road .

I don't understand that comment, you always have to keep left don't you, except in heavy traffic?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Roryhy wrote: »
    I don't understand that comment, you always have to keep left don't you, except in heavy traffic?

I think that was the point - with the road works there is heavy traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Roryhy wrote: »

What he means is that (just as with the M50 and N7), during peak congested periods, both/all lanes become effectively driving lanes.

Far better to stay in one lane and progress at the pace of the other traffic than hopping lanes to either avoid slower traffic or trying to cut in front of others to get a car length ahead

Others here will disagree because "rules are rules" but given the "be grand" approach to enforcement and life in this country generally, safety and common sense in the situation will always win out for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    What he means is that (just as with the M50 and N7), during peak congested periods, both/all lanes become effectively driving lanes.

Far better to stay in one lane and progress at the pace of the other traffic than hopping lanes to either avoid slower traffic or trying to cut in front of others to get a car length ahead

Others here will disagree because "rules are rules" but given the "be grand" approach to enforcement and life in this country generally, safety and common sense in the situation will always win out for me.

As Chief Wiggum says, “The harder we push the faster we’ll all get outta here”

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭NedNew2

From today's Leinster Leader:

M7 motorway traffic will move more freely from July

The motorway widening will be largely completed next month, according to Kildare County Council
    Motorists using the M7 between Naas and Newbridge will be able to move freely from July onwards.

That is according to Kildare County Council official Peter Minnock, who defended the progress of the project to widen the road to three lanes on either side at a Naas Municipal District meeting recently.

He said the project is significant in scale and size and is absorbing 43% of the budget for motorway road improvements. Mr Minnock added that health and safety issues have to be dealt with as the work proceeds and “there will always be unforeseen issues.” He said the project is being completed in a safe manner and he described the prospect of the work being completed in April as “an ambition.

“Those involved with the project are to be complimented,”said Cllr Seamie Moore, who said the widening is a “massive project” and is “ahead of schedule overall”.

KCC official Evelyn Wright said it was her understanding that nothing had gone substantially wrong with the project and a considerable amount of public services and lighting had to be accommodated. The contractors have indicated that they will “achieve substantial completion” by the end of July. The contractor had also indicated that they expect to have three lands available between Junction 8 (Johnstown) and Junction 10 (Naas south) in advance of this date. And if the three lanes become available for use on parts of the road, the existing temporary speed limit will be reviewed in conjunction with the gardai, Transport Infrastructure Ireland and the contractor.

Ms Wright also said the public will be kept informed in advance of any changes.

https://www.leinsterleader.ie/news/home/420384/m7-motorway-traffic-will-move-more-freely-from-july.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

NedNew2 wrote: »

The motorway widening will be largely completed next month, according to Kildare County Council
    Motorists using the M7 between Naas and Newbridge will be able to move freely from July onwards.

That is according to Kildare County Council official Peter Minnock, who defended the progress of the project to widen the road to three lanes on either side at a Naas Municipal District meeting recently.

He said the project is significant in scale and size and is absorbing 43% of the budget for motorway road improvements. Mr Minnock added that health and safety issues have to be dealt with as the work proceeds and “there will always be unforeseen issues.” He said the project is being completed in a safe manner and he described the prospect of the work being completed in April as “an ambition.

“Those involved with the project are to be complimented,”said Cllr Seamie Moore, who said the widening is a “massive project” and is “ahead of schedule overall”.

KCC official Evelyn Wright said it was her understanding that nothing had gone substantially wrong with the project and a considerable amount of public services and lighting had to be accommodated. The contractors have indicated that they will “achieve substantial completion” by the end of July. The contractor had also indicated that they expect to have three lands available between Junction 8 (Johnstown) and Junction 10 (Naas south) in advance of this date. And if the three lanes become available for use on parts of the road, the existing temporary speed limit will be reviewed in conjunction with the gardai, Transport Infrastructure Ireland and the contractor.

Ms Wright also said the public will be kept informed in advance of any changes.

https://www.leinsterleader.ie/news/home/420384/m7-motorway-traffic-will-move-more-freely-from-july.html

Thanks for posting this NedNew2, but anything from KCC to do with this project, I'll take with a pinch of salt.

https://www.kildarenow.com/news/end-april-finish-date-m7-roadworks-optimistic-transport-infrastructure-ireland/274808

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

NedNew2 wrote: »

:D:D:D

In a few weeks they will substitute July with August, September, October and so forth. The most likely reality is that people will be sitting in the same or worse gridlock after the Hallowe'en bank holiday as they are tonight after the June bank holiday while machinery sits idle in the ripped up roadworks beside them. The local Kildare media should be roasting those behind the project for lack of progress, not pushing end of roadworks deadlines ahead like a carrot on a stick in front of an ass. Do they really think people who use the M9 and N7 are fools?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,127 ✭✭✭pad199207

Brexit will be in quicker than this finishing

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Kevtherev1

We where told by kildare CC and the contractors the 3 lanes to naas south (substantially complete) would be ready end of may. Now they are saying 3 lanes to naas south end of july. Pathetic really these contractors should not be given the next major project.

On a positive note the quality of their construction has been very high, very good standard what has been completed so far. But far far too slow, deliberately dragging out the contract timelines, that is the optics.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭regedit

There seems to have been a fair amount of progress. Tarmac laid from the Newbridge exit heading toward Naas (inbound) on a good chunk. Nothing in the opposite direction but, landscaping etc completed so, it's probably a matter of days before they start this. Someone was criticising people for daring to ask about the finish deadline. People asked because timelines were given here by the builders via media (be it radio or newspaper interviews).
    Back to the project. To me (from an uneducated point) landscaping seems decent enough. Not sure how patchy tarmacking will end up. Much easier and better quality me thinks if they were to do a large strip rather than short sections-we all know small strips will be the norm here for obvious reasons. A lot of work Friday focusing around the new exit (Newbridge) with machinery and visible work. Fingers X, they'll get their act together and intensify work now that schools will start finishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

regedit wrote: »
    Fingers X, they'll get their act together and intensify work now that schools will start finishing.

What have schools finishing got to do with it?

If their track record is anything to go by they will shift down a gear when the schools finish. They contractors will be taking holidays and wanting to spend more time with their children. In the meantime the Leinster Leader will keep putting finish dates off by a month at the end of every month.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Joey Joe-Joe Jr

Emme wrote: »

I’m guessing it means you’ll have more time on your hands to post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,137 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Emme wrote: »

If their track record is anything to go by they will shift down a gear when the schools finish. They contractors will be taking holidays and wanting to spend more time with their children. In the meantime the Leinster Leader will keep putting finish dates off by a month at the end of every month.

HOW DARE THEY!

Advertisement