Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low Blows Wrestling Parties: WrestleMania at Buskers On The Ball!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

leggo wrote: »
    Yeah, if people remember Woolshed was where I initially hoped to host the events; I think it's the natural home for them. However, they've twice now expressed reservations about hosting them due to the late closing times (and also expressed interest at other times...talk about mixed messages).

Tbh I'm not going to beg them. We bring great business for places like this, so if they choose not to take it then it's their loss really. To me, you're a bit foolish in 2013 if you turn down potentially up to 500 customers on an otherwise quiet Sunday night. It's a great spot but we really need a business who'll get either get behind the idea and support us or, as was initially the case with Captain's, get out of the way and let us do our thing and just hold up their end of the bargain. With a place like Woolshed hmm-ing and haw-ing, I'm not sure they'd do so and give us the flexibility we'd need to provide as good a night for you guys as possible.

There are some great, central spots - each with their own unique benefits - that I have in mind and at least two of them are completely viable and interested too. So we'll see how it all pans out.

Thats weird about closing time since they show the Superbowl aswell dont they? Ah yea there is prob loads of places that will work

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

That's exactly what I said to them. So, reading between the lines, I can only assume they've some issues with pro-wrestling. Ah well, their big event last night according to their FB was the Valencia vs Valladolid match on the big screen, so I'm sure they got huge business for that anyway. :pac:

That's exactly what I said to them. So, reading between the lines, I can only assume they've some issues with pro-wrestling. Ah well, their big event last night according to their FB was the Valencia vs Valladolid match on the big screen, so I'm sure they got huge business for that anyway. :pac:

Ha do we have a bad rep:eek: , if they would have been in Captains last night there is no way they could say no ha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭srm23

Ha do we have a bad rep:eek:

from "The boys"

If its in Woolshed them tiered stadium seats they do in front of the screen for big events would be all reserved for leggo and the boys!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

you should have a look at 4 dame lane man - the upstairs would be f*cking ideal, massive screen, dj area for yourself, bar at the back - lovely jubbley!

just get on to lianne - she does the bookings for 4dl, odeon, and dakota! lovely girl too!

id get on to them soon, just to see if it is a possibility, with the popularity of the previous events and you have the business model and plan now you could show them how foolish they would be to not go with it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

So, reading between the lines, I can only assume they've some issues with pro-wrestling.

Pure ignorance if so. I've been to the last couple of Captains nights and they have proven what a lively but easy going crowd pro-wrestling fans are, not one hand bag thrown that I could see, considering the amount of drink consumed over a fair few hours.

you should have a look at 4 dame lane man - the upstairs would be f*cking ideal, massive screen, dj area for yourself, bar at the back - lovely jubbley!

just get on to lianne - she does the bookings for 4dl, odeon, and dakota! lovely girl too!

id get on to them soon, just to see if it is a possibility, with the popularity of the previous events and you have the business model and plan now you could show them how foolish they would be to not go with it!

Grames must be in cahoots with 4 Dame Lane in some way

Ha do we have a bad rep:eek: , if they would have been in Captains last night there is no way they could say no ha
    D-FENS wrote: »
    Pure ignorance if so. I've been to the last couple of Captains nights and they have proven what a lively but easy going crowd pro-wrestling fans are, not one hand bag thrown that I could see, considering the amount of drink consumed over a fair few hours.

For the record, that's just me assuming they don't like the idea of hosting pro-wrestling events. But just on the basis that they do run after hours events with the Superbowl etc and given the reaction that you sometimes get from businesses as soon as you say the word 'wrestling' (when I used to do the promo and marketing for IwW, people would sometimes hang up the phone as soon as it was said. I'm not even exaggerating. People can be snobby pricks about it).

Like I said, though, if that snobbiness is what makes them decide between having a full house serving drinks non-stop for 7 hours and showing an obscure La Liga match that even Spanish people aren't interested in to the sound of crickets ****ing...then that's where that snobbiness gets them so it's really their loss.

Interesting, I'll look into this place too, cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Les Ferdinand

I was there on Sunday night and fair play to Leggo for organising it. There is no such as "the boys". They just helped out. Srm23 was slightly funny the first time but he's getting tiresome now.
    . Hopefully the Woolshed jump on board. Surely if the see the crowd you can get for Captains on a Sunday they'd jump at the chance of hosting events.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

First time at this last night and had a great night. Atmosphere was great . We ended up arriving just after 9:30 and it was already jammed so we just qued up got a few drinks each then went down to Burger King for food then came back up and went into the Main Area place but obviously there were no seats so we just stayed and stood just after you come up on the stairs . Great fun with the people around us .
    Agree with people saying its prob not the best layout for a big event like WM but still fair play to Leggo for all the hard work and hopefully the new venue will work out . Think someone else said The Woolshed would be perfect imo

Aw man! I seen you guys come in and look bewildered at the prospect of no seats. Felt sorry for you but glad to see you had fun irregardless.

• Advertisement

CMpunked wrote: »
    Aw man! I seen you guys come in and look bewildered at the prospect of no seats. Felt sorry for you but glad to see you had fun irregardless.

Ha yea , after awhile i didnt mind not having a seat once the PPV started

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Joe24

First time at this last night and had a great night. Atmosphere was great . We ended up arriving just after 9:30 and it was already jammed so we just qued up got a few drinks each then went down to Burger King for food then came back up and went into the Main Area place but obviously there were no seats so we just stayed and stood just after you come up on the stairs . Great fun with the people around us .
    Agree with people saying its prob not the best layout for a big event like WM but still fair play to Leggo for all the hard work and hopefully the new venue will work out . Think someone else said The Woolshed would be perfect imo

Myself and my brother were in this area as well but were lucky enough to have seats. Got there at half 8ish just before it started to fill up. It was great craic with the people in that area. Loads of back and forth chanting.

Fair play to leggo and whoever else is involved in putting these events on. Fair bit of work in organising it i'd imagine. It was great fun and and we'll definitely go to the next one. No comparison to just watching it at home.

Only complaint was the queue for the bar between 9 and 12 but it's only a minor gripe. Looking forward to the next event, where ever it is.

There will never be another Leggo event that won't be dominated by Fandango chants

Pics will be online later!

Great video Leggo. I can see myself in it the odd time! Fair play to them for getting up on stage

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Unclebumble

Have confirmation from the Woolshed that we will be hosting a SummerSlam Party at the Woolshed along with 3 other PPVs ( Survivor Series, Royal Rumble,
    Wrestlemania XXX).

On the big screens, full coverage, pre-party DJ and more...

I will be putting more details up on Monday and The Woolshed will be putting information on their website/Facebook page then.

Thanks to Jayhunter for giving me permission to post this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

and so begins the wrestling party equivalent of the Monday Night Wars.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

D.Q wrote: »

Sunday Night Wars?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

D.Q wrote: »

I look forward to hearing reports of 'the boys' invading the Woolshed :pac:

Leggo vs Unclebumble. 'Contract for the Woolshed' Ladder Match.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Which of the big two will take advantage of the lucrative Galway territory?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

"the boys"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Sounds good, and I wish you the best of luck with it since anything that is good for wrestling fans is awesome, but personally if I'm going to see a wrestling PPV in a bar I'll be going to wherever leggo is hosting it. I haven't been to one of his events yet for various reasons, but based on the way he has gone about involving people on this forum and the awesome reports that they have all gotten from fans (despite Captains apparently dropping the ball in a big way) I'll be going for a party organised by fans rather than a venue that is looking to cash in on what he busted his arse creating.

To be honest it makes sense for Leggo and whoever sorted out the Woolshed to come together and joint promote these nights in the same venue. Zero point in having 45 fans in the Woolshed for Summerslam and another 45 across the city in some other place for Leggo's night out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

To be honest it makes sense for Leggo and whoever sorted out the Woolshed to come together and joint promote these nights in the same venue. Zero point in having 45 fans in the Woolshed for Summerslam and another 45 across the city in some other place for Leggo's night out.

It would do but usually what tends to happen is that one person busts their balls doing the legwork to set something up and when its proven that it can work somebody else with more clout comes in to try to cash in without doing the previous legwork.

This probably explains all the hmming and hawing Leggo was getting from the Woolshed though

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

It's a swerve, I hear orestes already has seats earmarked at the Woolshed!

Seriously though, it's not like they tried to swoop in the week of Mania, they're giving plenty of notice, and more options, more venues = a win for wrestling fans. Captains was sold out a week prior to the show so an alternative would be welcomed. If the late 90s taught us anything is that fans win when there's choice.

Sounds like its Dr. JaykHunter vs DJ. Leggo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

The deise is where the big bucks are to be made though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

15hh74m.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

orestes wrote: »
    Sounds good, and I wish you the best of luck with it since anything that is good for wrestling fans is awesome, but personally if I'm going to see a wrestling PPV in a bar I'll be going to wherever leggo is hosting it.

Yeah that's my feeling too, leggo deserves so much credit and respect for not only organising the parties, but he always made boards his first port of call when discussing the parties and any ideas or arrangements.

Woolshed on the other hand had been ignoring our e-mails for three years.

I won't lie though, it's amazing to actually have two options where to go now. Great to see a Pro-Wrestling vibe is alive and well in Dublin.

Advertisement