Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Andy Lee v Julio Cesar Chavez Jnr in El Paso, June 16

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭insanity50

Draw
    jesus that went downhill very fast!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Chavez just mentioned that Lee has not got any power, he wanted to see if he had and he realised quite quickly that Lee doesn't hit hard

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭celticcrash

Chavez points win
    leg cramps from the steroids

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

That was coming. Once Chavez felt his power and was unimpressed Andy was in trouble. Thought it was pretty one-sided myself. Chavez just too big for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Lee stoppage win
    Lee's face is puffed up badly!

• Advertisement

Chavez points win
    I wonder can he give a urine example now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

Draw
    Lee is there to be TKO'd in every fight.

No movement, no defence, no stamina.
    decent chin, good jab. nothing to back it up though.

Too limited a fighter.
    I don't think I'll watch another of his fights. He's finished as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭geurrp the yard

Id reckon chavez would slaughter martinez, way too big for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Lee just kept letting Chavez in with the same punches, no defence, he had the start of the fight but once Chavez realised he didnt have that much power he destroyed Lee.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

Lee just didn't have the 'juice' to win the war of attrition he was inevitably going to be dragged into.
    Chavez definitely had the 'juice'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

always looks like he has no energy does Andy Lee

He is limited sure, but im convinced he is simply too weight drained at middleweight to function properly. You can forgive limited skills but such a consistent stamina problem can point to one of 2 things 1)poor preparation or 2)he is not at his equilibrium weight.

he may have no problem making 160, but he is not strong at the weight.

168 would suit him i reckon, he wouldn't pull up many trees there, but it may be a case he is just weak as a kitten at the weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 paulmcn888

It was a gutsy showing, but Lee was just utterly outclassed. The stats told it all really, Lee landed 121, Chavez Jr 122, but Chavez' were telling punches. Here is Grannykiller's view on it anyway. Feel free to comment on it
    http://grannykiller.com/2012/06/17/chavez-overpowers-brave-lee/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Draw
    So I guess that's the end of the current generation of Irish fighters competing on the world stage, Dunne is finished, Duddy finished, Macklin finished and now Lee finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

I think people need to bear in mind just how big a middleweight Chavez is. That makes a massive difference in a fight like last night's where is becomes impossible for the boxer to maintain the distance. I'd accept that Lee has a lot of flaws but I would still like to see him against another top middleweight who's more natural at the weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Kaizer Sosa

Id reckon chavez would slaughter martinez, way too big for him.

Couldn't disagree more. Martinez is athletic as fook. He wouldn't keep getting backed into a corner and playing Chavez's game in the same manner Lee did. Martinez has excellent movement and can bang as Paul Williams will testify. I think he'd box the head off Chavez.

I reckon we'll get to see it soon enough. Sooner the better though. Martinez isn't getting any younger.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,010 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Draw
    I saw nothing special with Chavez. Lee simply has little to offer once it becomes a close inside fight. His stamina is pretty poor, blowing after rd three. The body shots were only beginning and Lee was tiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Chavez points win
    So I guess that's the end of the current generation of Irish fighters competing on the world stage, Dunne is finished, Duddy finished, Macklin finished and now Lee finished.

Surprised you didn't mention Paul McCloskey. Macklin isn't finished imo, I think we'll see him competing at the top end again, not sure if he'll manage to come out on top against them but he's in or around the level needed to compete for World titles at that weight. Lee might be able to gain a version of a World title, but not beat any of the top lads, I still see him beating the likes of Barker and Murray.

Don't forget one fighter from the generation before this lot, Brian Magee. He'll be having at least one more fairly high profile fight before he's done.

Also of the next generation, Carl Frampton looks set to jump up to European level and fringe World level very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Sadly, as we saw with Jermaine Taylor, if you have stamina issues, it can't be easily adressed. I recall Taylor saying he felt he had resolved his lack of stamina by changing his diet and training routine after his defeat to Froch, but it was all to no avail. Although, unlike Taylor, as we all know the problem with Andy is not just his poor stamina.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Draw
    leg cramps from the steroids

bollocks talk! what have you got to back that shít up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Chavez isn't on steroids. He just cuts alot of water weight. He's well able to take a shot, and has the mental fortitude to be a champion. Andy unfortunately doesn't. You could see his heart wasn't in it as soon as he realised he wasn't hurting Chavez. Then again, Chavez could just have a very good poker face, and sometimes you just have to keep drilling him regardless.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭insanity50

Draw
    what does

'el dinero de vaca'' mean

saw it on another boxing site, apparently they call chavez it.

Dinero is money. Maybe it means he's a money maker, etc... Not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

insanity50 wrote: »
    what does

'el dinero de vaca'' mean

saw it on another boxing site, apparently they call chavez it.
    Cash Cow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

I would think that whoever calls him that is referring to him as a cash cow. Cow is vaca and money is dinero, i think?

**edit, me = slow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Wild_Dogger

Draw
    Whats all this about Chavez being 'unable' tp provide a urine sample after the fight ?

Didn't he try the same thing against Rubio ?

just sayin'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Whats all this about Chavez being 'unable' tp provide a urine sample after the fight ?

Didn't he try the same thing against Rubio ?

just sayin'

He was unable to piss before the fight which is strange but was supposed to produce some after it.
    Lee was just unable to cope with the strength and conditioning of Chavez but is probably a little short of world class. Alex Ariza makes a serious contribution to his fighters.

Lee can still be proud of the heart he showed and despite being stopped twice in his career now has a seriously impressive chin. He conducted himself well after the fight too.

He was unable to piss before the fight which is strange but was supposed to produce some after it.

It's not strange at all. I have the same problem anytime I had to give a urine sample in hospital for kidney problems. For some reason when under pressure, I couldn't go. It's called paruresis. When you feel more relaxed, it's easier to go. He was probably stressed before the fight, which could have brought paruresis on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

dlofnep wrote: »
    It's not strange at all. I have the same problem anytime I had to give a urine sample in hospital for kidney problems. For some reason when under pressure, I couldn't go. It's called paruresis. When you feel more relaxed, it's easier to go. He was probably stressed before the fight, which could have brought paruresis on.

It is a small bit unsatisfactory all the same considering his history.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

Draw
    Big Ears wrote: »
    Surprised you didn't mention Paul McCloskey. Macklin isn't finished imo, I think we'll see him competing at the top end again, not sure if he'll manage to come out on top against them but he's in or around the level needed to compete for World titles at that weight. Lee might be able to gain a version of a World title, but not beat any of the top lads, I still see him beating the likes of Barker and Murray.

Don't forget one fighter from the generation before this lot, Brian Magee. He'll be having at least one more fairly high profile fight before he's done.

Also of the next generation, Carl Frampton looks set to jump up to European level and fringe World level very soon.

Magee has been the best one around from ireland for years travels anywhere to fight

• Advertisement

Chavez points win
    P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    bollocks talk! what have you got to back that shít up?
    Sorry Paddy, no hard evidience, its just from my training days in the jym, bodybuilders who were taking steroids were always complaining about cramps. And the fact that Chavez did not provide a urine sample before the fight, if I was dehydrated I could still manage to fill a little beaker.

Advertisement