Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Andy Lee v Julio Cesar Chavez Jnr in El Paso, June 16

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭makl

thats a ridiculous video.

anyway fair play to andy goin to el paso though he might as well go to mexico city itself, gona be near impossible to get a decision out of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

To hell with decision, let Andy knock him out !!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭makl

Daroxtar wrote: »

what a show that'd be.

couple of things going against andy outside of it being in el paso, chavez has a good chin, partly as he comes into the ring 20 pounds heavier than his opponent, and he is a good body puncher which will test andy's stamina.

i don't know what andy's fightweight usually is but he walks around pretty big so hopefully there won't be a sizeable weight difference and he can take chavez out.

(mind you i won't believe this fight is really going ahead til hear the bell for the first ring)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

Draw
    Daroxtar wrote: »

the only way he wins

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Henno30

The Lee by decision option :D

Would be great if he did it, but Uncle Bob and Sr must be pretty confident to let it happen in the first place. Looking forward to it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Boooourns

Draw
    Andys stamina :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Draw
    Lee could KO him and will be as big as him i feel-as said above his stamina is a real issue and could be the difference between a win or loss, I'm saying loss by late stoppage.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,709 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Draw
    cowzerp wrote: »
    Lee could KO him and will be as big as him i feel-as said above his stamina is a real issue and could be the difference between a win or loss, I'm saying loss by late stoppage.

I see it like this too. Lee has power, but JCC takes a good shot, is fitter, busier, and is a big guy too. Lee won't hear the final bell I feel, giving a very good account, troubling JCC a whole lot, but failing to maintain the pace needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭NikNak8

Chavez points win
    This is great news, two big middleweights has to end in a stopage/knock-out.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Maravilla33

Chavez stoppage win
    Lee looks good when he's given time and space to get into a rhythm. However he never looks remotely comfortable when put under sustained pressure and this is one thing JCC will bring. Be a bit worried that someone as ordinary as Brian Vera can ask all sorts of questions of him.

Not sold on Chavez by any means but hes by far the best fighter Lees fought and think he'll win by UD. Hope I'm wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭themandan6611

Chavez points win
    IF it happens, Lee will win.

The trouble for Lee in El Paso is that if he does get wobbled (which he is liable to), he might find that the ref is very quick to stop the fight.

He was on OTB this evening, spoke about the business side of the game getting him down over the last few years but also that maybe that he's more ready now than he would have been before. The thing about this match is that even if he does get robbed, everyone will be expecting it and it won't hurt his reputation.

Obviously Jr isn't rated as highly as Sergio, but like Macklin Andy has everything to gain from the platform will give him. If he performs, then it can only open more doors for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

This goes down one of a few different ways... he gets wobbled and the ref jumps in far too early. It's a close fight on points but Chavez wins by a large margin due to WBC or hometown bias

Lee really has to knock him out and even then, I wouldn't be surprised if WBC found a way of having Chavez retain the title!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭RiseToTheTop

I say the heat could affect Lee. I have looked at the map of North America many times, and El Paso is on the same distance to the equator as many parts of Mexico.

I hope Lee can train much in the hot weather beforehand.

Draw
    Is it outdoors during a hot time? If so, then that is another Chavez advantage.

Chavez points win
    pity it couldn't be on a cold autumns evening in the pissing rain in Castleconnell! :-)

Draw
    NikNak8 wrote: »
    pity it couldn't be on a cold autumns evening in the pissing rain in Castleconnell! :-)

It could be. I'm sure if Lee wins JCC will demand a rematch. Champion has the say then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Chavez points win
    walshb wrote: »
    It could be. I'm sure if Lee wins JCC will demand a rematch. Champion has the say then.

Not if there's options he doesn't, and you can bet with Arum in charge options on Lee should he win are very likely.

Chavez points win
    thought this is being billed as a Winner V Martinez (The real champion) fight

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭rebelomar

Andy needs to improve his conditioning wholesale to last the distance. If his stamina holds up then he could very well outbox Chavez Jnr...Think Lee mighn't have enough power to stop him but def has eough to earn his respect and make Chavez have to think more than he usually does.. By far and away both boxers toughest fight to date. Trying to get a decision is Texas is also going to be an absolute nightmare. Lets go Andy....

• Advertisement

Draw
    Not just his stamina, but his creativity too. He needs an inside game, more volume and a more complete array of shots. This is a big ask, as a work rate improvement and inside game will need a fitness improvement. Lee needs to become a pro fighter for this one. He has been for far too long an amateur fighter in a pro game.

Draw
    Is it outdoors during a hot time? If so, then that is another Chavez advantage.

You can bet everything will be in Chavez'es favour

Draw
    Sergio Martinez Signs: Says Chavez-Lee is 50-50 Bout
    By Rick Reeno

BoxingScene.com reached out to boxing adviser/promoter Sampson Lewkowicz, and spoke directly to middleweight king Sergio Martinez (49-2-2, 28KOs), who confirmed that he officially signed, at 7PM PST, an agreement to face the winner of Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. vs. Andy Lee - on the tentative date of September 15th. Lewkowicz, along with his wife, held a meeting with Martinez at the Bel Air Hotel in Beverly Hills, California.

As BoxingScene first reported on Tuesday, a deal was reached for Chavez Jr. (45-0-1, 31KOs) to defend his WBC middleweight title against Lee (28-1, 20KOs) in an HBO televised fight on June 16th at the Sun Bowl in El Paso, Texas.

The World Boxing Council positioned Martinez as the mandatory challenger at last December's convention in Las Vegas. The sanctioning body expects all of the required parties to sign this agreement.

"I have officially signed the agreement. [WBC President] Jose Sulaiman expects everyone involved to sign this agreement - including Chavez, Lee, [Top Rank CEO Bob] Arum and [Martinez/Lee promoter] Lou DiBella. If they don't sign the document [prior to June 16th], Jose Sulaiman has made a promise that the WBC title will not be on the line on June 16, because they will take the title away," Martinez said to BoxingScene.com.

Martinez, who plans to sit ringside at the Sun Bowl, expects a very close fight.

"It's going to be a very tough fight for both of them. I think it's a 50-50 fight," Martinez said.

Has anyone ever rocked Jr properly? I know people say Carlos Molina beat him twice but that guy (as anyone who watched him against Kirkland recently will know) has a very awkward style and would be very different to Lee. As someone has pointed out already Andy will need to show a lot of craft on the inside to win this one. Don't think he's going to be able to hold Jr off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

I think people are vastly overrating JCC. Andy is more than capable to keep him at range. And its not as if JCC is a deadly dangerous fighter on the inside anyways.

Lee has the skills to do damage, and yes he does have the power. JCC may have a good chin but feeling Andy's power may send him into his shell.

I admit, Andy may need to win 10 rounds convincingly to get a decision here. But a moral victory will be rewarded too. Nobody expects Lee to win this, most probably expect him to get robbed.

He will get big fights off the back of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

Lee stoppage win
    I am a bit surprised by the amount of compliments on here for Chavez jnr. He usually gets nothing but criticism. As far as I remember he got the better of John Duddy in the later rounds, but John's defense was always going to be found wanting.

Lee has decent skills & there is no reason why he cant dominate Chavez jnr. Chavez jnr has more to be concerned about with this fight than Andy IMO.

Good luck to him anyway.

Draw
    Andy Lee 9/4
    Draw 30/1
    Julio Cesar Chavez Jr 1/3

Paddy Power odds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Boooourns

Draw
    barney4001 wrote: »
    Andy Lee 9/4
    Draw 30/1
    Julio Cesar Chavez Jr 1/3

Paddy Power odds

Only 9/4! Very mean odds, i'd have Andy at least 5-1. I hate saying it but i just can't see where Andy wins this.

Draw
    Lee will be a bigger price in El Paso or Mexico maybe 5/1 or 6/1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

Not just his stamina, but his creativity too. He needs an inside game, more volume and a more complete array of shots. This is a big ask, as a work rate improvement and inside game will need a fitness improvement. Lee needs to become a pro fighter for this one. He has been for far too long an amateur fighter in a pro game.

He can leave learning an inside game for the next fight, he needs to stick to his tried and tested, by staying on the outside. Getting inside with Chavez would be a bad idea. It'll be won from distance.

Advertisement