Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JC off topic '12

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

Sentid wrote: »
    I'm hoping for Google or Microsoft :p
    I don't know if they take people on though, especially google, it being a very kinda secret place and all!!

I applied last year for w/e (in 2nd yr) and got told nope, but they'd keep it on file for the future :(

I've been there before (long story), it would be awesome to work there, free food and sweets (yum) and generally cool decor. I sincerely hope I'm not under an NDA :/

I'll apply to Microsoft, even tho I'm a Windows hater (Linux FTW).
    Having real worries now that every Tom Dick and Harry will want to do Computer Science, driving the points up :( . CS is not for everyone, so w/e will be great for people to decide if it's for them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Hey Peoples :)

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

Having real worries now that every Tom Dick and Harry will want to do Computer Science, driving the points up :( . CS is not for everyone, so w/e will be great for people to decide if it's for them :)

Friend of mine did W/E in MS, (uncle works there), he thought it was unreal. I was impressed with what he told me anyway :p And I use Ubuntu.
    I'm also thinking of doing CS, did work experience in a small computer software company. And yeah I reckon the points will be 360-380 for 2014 (What matters for me), could be 400 by 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Sentid

I applied last year for w/e (in 2nd yr) and got told nope, but they'd keep it on file for the future :(

I've been there before (long story), it would be awesome to work there, free food and sweets (yum) and generally cool decor. I sincerely hope I'm not under an NDA :/

Friend of mine did W/E in MS, (uncle works there), he thought it was unreal. I was impressed with what he told me anyway :p And I use Ubuntu.
    I'm also thinking of doing CS, did work experience in a small computer software company. And yeah I reckon the points will be 360-380 for 2014 (What matters for me), could be 400 by 2016.

Any idea how to apply? I presume it's online, would be a bit ironic if it wasn't :pac:

Computer Science seems to be the thing now! ATM with girls especially it's nursing or teaching :rolleyes:

Any idea how to apply? I presume it's online, would be a bit ironic if it wasn't :pac:

Computer Science seems to be the thing now! ATM with girls especially it's nursing or teaching :rolleyes:

That's the real problem. The subject is not for everyone, people don't read what the course involves before applying :(

www.codeacademy.com I think, great walkthroughs on JavaScript I believe. Learning C on my own over the summer. :/ What an exciting life I lead :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I use Ubuntu.
    High five! sudo apt-get install AtomicKoala !

So u are going in 5th Yr? I was considering not doing TY solely because the points for CS will be going up every year.

A 5th year guy know wanted to do Computer Science in TCD "because I want to make websites". I don't think he realised that that isn't really any significant part of that course :L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

High five! sudo apt-get install AtomicKoala !

So u are going in 5th Yr? I was considering not doing TY solely because the points for CS will be going up every year.

A 5th year guy know wanted to do Computer Science in TCD "because I want to make websites". I don't think he realised that that isn't really any significant part of that course :L

I wouldn't be a computer genius myself but I know the languages involved(Need to get around to learning them). Anyone know good languages to learn, I have a bit of c#, do simple loops, nearly managed a calculator but I messed up the code too much.
    Unfortunately too many people think that CS is "making sites", as if it's as easy as HTML...

I know absolutely no code, thanks for the link there dalta5billion

I want to do something with languages, because I know they're something I can and will definitely use in my life, nevermind (hopefully) a job. I don't see the point in subjects such as history tbh, you automatically forget everything after the exam unless you really like the subject

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭paddyzk

I know absolutely no code, thanks for the link there dalta5billion

I want to do something with languages, because I know they're something I can and will definitely use in my life, nevermind (hopefully) a job. I don't see the point in subjects such as history tbh, you automatically forget everything after the exam unless you really like the subject

I want to continue on doing a language in 3rd level :) German ftw.
    Same here tbh,histoy is only useful for one thing - teaching.

paddyzk wrote: »
    I want to continue on doing a language in 3rd level :) German ftw.
    Same here tbh,histoy is only useful for one thing - teaching.

I know a girl who wants to do archaeology. :confused: She's not even that passionate, just likes the idea, "finding dinosaurs and stuff".

Deutsch is klasse :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Indiego

I wanna do science B) Preferably genetics/immunology/neurology/nanoscience/pharmacy :D
    /nerd

I know a girl who wants to do archaeology. :confused: She's not even that passionate, just likes the idea, "finding dinosaurs and stuff".

Deutsch is klasse :D

She will go far in life. :rolleyes:

I feel like I'm the only person who thinks that History is useful...

Troxck wrote: »
    I wouldn't be a computer genius myself but I know the languages involved(Need to get around to learning them). Anyone know good languages to learn, I have a bit of c#, do simple loops, nearly managed a calculator but I messed up the code too much.
    Unfortunately too many people think that CS is "making sites", as if it's as easy as HTML...

Well done! You probably know more than the people who are going into CS! The fact that you know what it's really all about and show persistence means you're more than suited to CS I'd say.

*Embarrassing disclosure: haven't done any HTML / CSS yet. I'm kind of crap at design...

Everyone thinks that 'making apps' means simply dragging and dropping interface elements etc.

Personally I'm probably behind you. All I've done is a bit of python and shell scripting (not very advanced languages :/ ) and I only started C days ago.

Just a quick question for everyone, out of interest.

Of those thinking of doing Computers in the future, what language (if any) did you pick?

I personally find German to be a very logical language, easy for me to comprehend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

All talk of computers on here.. Pffft.. Medicine FTW ;)

Of those thinking of doing Computers in the future, what language (if any) did you pick?

I personally find German to be a very logical language, easy for me to comprehend.

Couldn't agree more,I know more German than I do irish.Its just so structured.

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    All talk of computers on here.. Pffft.. Medicine FTW ;)
    Anything HPAT is a no no for me :D

Fair play to you that you know what you want already. Unfortunately alot of people doing medicine do it for the status or to not "waste" points, nonsense tbh. Do whst you will like!

Couldn't agree more,I know more German than I do irish.Its just so structured.
    Have to agree with both of ye, german is just a load of rules and when you have them it all comes together.

French is actually very easy too, so unbelievably similar to english imho.

Japanese though is a different ballgame. It is structured so differently you have to actually think in the language itself, translating is a headache! And thats without the 3 alphabets and completely new sounds!

German, I also do French but will be dropping it. German is almost logical. It has a pattern.

• Advertisement

Well done! You probably know more than the people who are going into CS! The fact that you know what it's really all about and show persistence means you're more than suited to CS I'd say.

*Embarrassing disclosure: haven't done any HTML / CSS yet. I'm kind of crap at design...

Everyone thinks that 'making apps' means simply dragging and dropping interface elements etc.

Personally I'm probably behind you. All I've done is a bit of python and shell scripting (not very advanced languages :/ ) and I only started C days ago.

Honestly, I find c# easier than HTML/CSS... We did it in class and my teacher was impressed I could make text scroll across the screen. I had to show her then she started teaching the rest of our year... The only thing holding me back is maths, I'm not good at it...

Wish I did french & German.
    Woodwork was the bane of my existence.

Glad I didn't do Woodwork, I'd put everyone in the class is some serious danger. French is easy enough to do well in, I nearly got a B in the mocks and I can barely form a sentence...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭KirkCheated09

French is puuuuuuure simples.. I never EVEEEER study for it! Got B in the mocks and did like 15 mins study the night before the JC and I reckon I got an A :cool:
    ..woodwork is a lovely subject :pac: My teacher never did any theory with us but it's all fairly handy :P

French is puuuuuuure simples.. I never EVEEEER study for it! Got B in the mocks and did like 15 mins study the night before the JC and I reckon I got an A :cool:
    ..woodwork is a lovely subject :pac: My teacher never did any theory with us but it's all fairly handy :P

You're back !

I just find the tenses really hard. I much prefer the French exam to the German though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Indiego

Noone ever does Spanish </3 /foreveralone

Troxck wrote: »
    I just find the tenses really hard. I much prefer the French exam to the German though.

You don't need to know them that well for french though, just know how to say I went.. I'm going.. I will go etc :P

Indiego wrote: »
    Noone ever does Spanish </3 /foreveralone

como estas? .. is that right?

• Advertisement

You don't need to know them that well for french though, just know how to say I went.. I'm going.. I will go etc :P

That's what I did for the JC pretty much. Dropping it, can't see myself doing well in 5th with French

Advertisement