Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JC off topic '12

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Indiego

Indiego wrote: »
    Noone ever does Spanish </3 /foreveralone

como estas? .. is that right?

Muy bien, correcto :)

Mal, y tu? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭KirkCheated09

soy buen

soy buen

Estoy bien* :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

Troxck wrote: »
    Honestly, I find c# easier than HTML/CSS... We did it in class and my teacher was impressed I could make text scroll across the screen. I had to show her then she started teaching the rest of our year... The only thing holding me back is maths, I'm not good at it...

Literally everyone I know who has done CS has said they're crap at maths. They all say it's a different type of maths.

I don't know if Project Maths helps with more "problem solving" aspects, but they took off matrices and something else off the course, which apparently are an important part (arrays?).

On a side note, holy crap I want to go to your school. Our 'programming' module was basically us typing in the source code of a python text game. It was a 'success' if you got it to run. FFS like... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

Literally everyone I know who has done CS has said they're crap at maths. They all say it's a different type of maths.

I don't know if Project Maths helps with more "problem solving" aspects, but they took off matrices and something else off the course, which apparently are an important part (arrays?).

On a side note, holy crap I want to go to your school. Our 'programming' module was basically us typing in the source code of a python text game. It was a 'success' if you got it to run. FFS like... :rolleyes:

This was basic HTML, we had to make our timetable, some people couldn't make a box... I heard Python was really hard, what type of text game?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭paddyzk

Can someone explain programming to me ? :cool:

This was basic HTML, we had to make our timetable, some people couldn't make a box... I heard Python was really hard, what type of text game?
    Much easier than C or C#, trust me :roll eyes:

As in picks a random number between one and twenty, while trys<5, check if guess ==(is equal to) random number , if so print "you got it" and trys = 5. Else, print "nope" and trys =(trys + 1)

Python's handy, most of the libraries (e.g. random number generator) are easy to include.

paddyzk wrote: »
    Sure, can't sleep anyways. Fire away, or will I start?

What do you mean? It's basically writing a programme you use. Like, someone had to write your OS, someone had to write all the files you would use... It's basically a set of instructions you tell your computer to do and it does it.
    Like, in c# you do Console.WriteLine("Paddyzk");
    Console.ReadLine();
    I just wrote a "programme" to tell your computer to write Paddyzk

Right here's an "app" to tell when the temperature is too hot for you

myidealtemp = 21

if(current temp >= myidealtemp)
    print("It's too hot")
    else:
    print("It's too cold")

• Advertisement

myidealtemp = 21

print("It's too hot")
    else:
    print("It's too cold")

Where did you learn to do that? What language should I focus on? I've done a bit of c# but that's it. Should I focus on any? Also, that's really cool

myidealtemp = 21

print("It's too hot")
    else:
    print("It's too cold")

Where did you learn to do that? What language should I focus on? I've done a bit of c# but that's it. Should I focus on any? Also, that's really cool
    Cough. That's probably bad Python code, its just to give him an idea of if else arguments etc.

Python is really easy and fun. Also, it's a tad inefficient, so it's not used everywhere. TBH I don't know yet the difference between C, C++, C# is, but I'd assume they're all of equal benefit to learn. Java I believe is for Android apps, and Objective-C is for iOS (iPhone and iPad).

Cough. That's probably bad Python code, its just to give him an idea of if else arguments etc.

Python is really easy and fun. Also, it's a tad inefficient, so it's not used everywhere. TBH I don't know yet the difference between C, C++, C# is, but I'd assume they're all of equal benefit to learn. Java I believe is for Android apps, and Objective-C is for iOS (iPhone and iPad).

Well, I think if I decided to do CS, they expect us to know nothing so if we're in 3rd and know this, we'd be fairly decent by college, hopefully. I think I'll try and "master" c# this summer and focus on c++ and java in TY.

Well, I think if I decided to do CS, they expect us to know nothing so if we're in 3rd and know this, we'd be fairly decent by college, hopefully. I think I'll try and "master" c# this summer and focus on c++ and java in TY.
    We'll be fine! Don't worry. Just have fun making whatever you want.

Anyways, I need my sleep, my beloved Mac has decided to stop a) booting properly b) stop accepting my admin password and c) refuse to copy any files to a backup hard drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭paddyzk

Deadly stuff.I might actually give it go tbh.
    Biggest n00b question evar. - where do you type all that stuff into :cool:

We'll be fine! Don't worry. Just have fun making whatever you want.

Anyways, I need my sleep, my beloved Mac has decided to stop a) booting properly b) stop accepting my admin password and c) refuse to copy any files to a backup hard drive.

Goodnight, also, that's unfortunate, hope it doesn't fcuk up completely.

Goodnight, also, that's unfortunate, hope it doesn't fcuk up completely.

Hah yeah, I'll have to reformat the disk :( 1 TB of my stuff had to go to 500 GB of external HD. Lot of choices were made today...

Hah yeah, I'll have to reformat the disk :( 1 TB of my stuff had to go to 500 GB of external HD. Lot of choices were made today...

Oh well, I think I have max. 40GBs of important files...

Depends on the language. If you have never done any coding at all you should spend a few days on HTML. Many people would say not to but it's an easier start. After that you should probably pick objective c, c#, c++ and java. I would recommend c#, a guy called " onlivegamer" on YouTube has the best tutorials. He tells you what to download too. I hope this was somewhat helpful

Depends on the language. If you have never done any coding at all you should spend a few days on HTML. Many people would say not to but it's an easier start. After that you should probably pick objective c, c#, c++ and java. I would recommend c#, a guy called " onlivegamer" on YouTube has the best tutorials. He tells you what to download too. I hope this was somewhat helpful

Yous are so lucky you got to learn proper programming languages in school, we did this poxy 'Scratch' programming that's designed for kids :L It's so easy, even I, who I would consider a total noob, was able to make a fairly decent/complex pacman type game B)

• Advertisement

Yous are so lucky you got to learn proper programming languages in school, we did this poxy 'Scratch' programming that's designed for kids :L It's so easy, even I, who I would consider a total noob, was able to make a fairly decent/complex pacman type game B)

We only did HTML for the last 3 classes. We did scratch too. I thought it was the best thing when I was in first year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

We never ever did any programming in school.. :/ Would have loved to though.

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    We never ever did any programming in school.. :/ Would have loved to though.

Irish schools are way behind Europe in terms of computing in secondary school. My friend says that his cousins in Eastern Europe learn proper programming and app developing in their 2nd year equivalent.

Irish schools are way behind Europe in terms of computing in secondary school. My friend says that his cousins in Eastern Europe learn proper programming and app developing in their 2nd year equivalent.
    We have a computer class once a week. All we do is go on the internet. Facebook only recently got blocked in school :( Next year is going to be such a burden.

We have a computer class once a week. All we do is go on the internet. Facebook only recently got blocked in school :( Next year is going to be such a burden.

You do know you can get past blocked sites? It's not hard, I watched Youtube for a lot of 3rd year. For example, if it says http://, just put https://
    Sometimes this doesn't work, just look up proxies or proxy sites, you'll be grand.

You do know you can get past blocked sites? It's not hard, I watched Youtube for a lot of 3rd year. For example, if it says http://, just put https://
    Sometimes this doesn't work, just look up proxies or proxy sites, you'll be grand.
    Youtube's not blocked in school neither is Twitter.. :D Just Facebook </3

I'll try that Thanks! :D

Out of curiosity, how/where would you start with programming. Tbh, I've always loved computers and would love to learn more about them, but I don't think it'd be something I'd do career wise.

Out of curiosity, how/where would you start with programming. Tbh, I've always loved computers and would love to learn more about them, but I don't think it'd be something I'd do career wise.

Well, it depends really. If you want to do web design, then HTML and CSS is where you should start, then improve it with javascript. http://www.w3schools.com/ is your resource for that.

Proper programming like c#, c++, python and java have an abundance of tutorials on the web but my favourite would be from onlivegamer. http://www.youtube.com/user/onlivegamer/videos?view=1 Here's his channel! Look through some of his tutorials and see what you like, he only shows the basics. If you search the web you'll find more. Hope this was helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭SChique00

Why am I sitting here watching The Princess Diaries when I could be doing some pilates.... xP

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

You can still access command prompt on school computers. Just use that to access websites. I guess it helps of you can write script. Another trick is to go to yahoo translator (babel fish) and translate the URL. Some blocking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Some blocking program's are very basic in schools.

Advertisement