Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

JC off topic '12

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Sentid

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Are you doing transition year or 5th year next year and why ? If going to 5th year what subjects?

Im doing 5th year because in our school I feel ty is a waste of time. Lots of dossing and a year out of study. Also i prefer learning tbh. Whats ty like in your school? Next year im doing physics biology chemistry and applied maths. German also.

TY, mostly because I was advised to and I know I'd do sweet feck all next year. It's better for boys too, we're immature and stuff etc etc :D

We do a musical (oh boy! :rolleyes: ) learn to drive, do first aid and go camping for a fortnight plus all the other things, not too bad! No trip abroad thought since the Icelandic Ash Cloud :(

Plus I want to start learning Japanese and Russian, it's a two year course but I could do with the extra year ;) Any takers to learn with me?

Indiego wrote: »
    Hahah really? thats awesome :D Spanish people are lovely :') Im friends with looadss of spanish students :L

I did w/e in the natural history museum, Amgen (a pharmaceutical research place), the Science Gallery in TCD and in a primary school..

(Im aware the last one is **** compared to the rest XD)

That's actually class work experience. :D My uncle offered to let me stay with him if I want to get work experience in Dublin. Tbh there's nothing really in Limerick :p so I'd love to get a multinational company maybe involved with computers and languages.

Or that's what this "career quiz" thingy said I should do, I quite like the idea myself ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Indiego

Sentid wrote: »
    That's actually class work experience. :D My uncle offered to let me stay with him if I want to get work experience in Dublin. Tbh there's nothing really in Limerick :p so I'd love to get a multinational company maybe involved with computers and languages.

Or that's what this "career quiz" thingy said I should do, I quite like the idea myself ;)
    I was determined to not waste the opportunity tbh :L
    I live an hour and a half out of Dublin so I had to get the bus at an ungodly hour every morning XD

You could try googles headquarters or something? Worth a try at least :P

I was determined to not waste the opportunity tbh :L
    I live an hour and a half out of Dublin so I had to get the bus at an ungodly hour every morning XD

You could try googles headquarters or something? Worth a try at least :P

I'm hoping for Google or Microsoft :p
    I don't know if they take people on though, especially google, it being a very kinda secret place and all!!

Haha in the last 3 days I've watched all 3 series of Msifits (brilliant btw!) and slept in every morning til 11 (that's stellar for me!)

I LOVE the internet :D

I don't know if they take people on though, especially google, it being a very kinda secret place and all!!

Haha in the last 3 days I've watched all 3 series of Msifits (brilliant btw!) and slept in every morning til 11 (that's stellar for me!)

I LOVE the internet :D
    Yeah.. they might though, never know :D :P

hehe thats the best way to spend summer tbh :D
    Ive stayed up till around 3am and slept till 1/2pm the past 3 weeks... >< /lazy

Yeah.. they might though, never know :D :P

hehe thats the best way to spend summer tbh :D
    Ive stayed up till around 3am and slept till 1/2pm the past 3 weeks... >< /lazy

Feck yeah! Any recommendations on TV shows or movies?
    I've watched series 1 of Heroes (not touching the rest!) , Community, Misfits, Arrwested Development, The WAlking Dead and whatever RTE show :D

Feck yeah! Any recommendations on TV shows or movies?
    I've watched series 1 of Heroes (not touching the rest!) , Community, Misfits, Arrwested Development, The WAlking Dead and whatever RTE show :D
    Ive been working my way through all the harry potter movies.. /nerd :L
    Dont really watch tv series :L

Ive been working my way through all the harry potter movies.. /nerd :L
    Dont really watch tv series :L
    Haha all the money's in TV!

I'd love to say I watch Mad Men or Boardwalk Empire or some "proper" HBO stuff but it's a bit too boring for me :D

Despise most reality TV, except for my unhealthy obsession with Survivor ;) I'm on the 24th season :eek:

What movies you seen lately? Saw Prometheus, really liked it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Haha all the money's in TV!

I'd love to say I watch Mad Men or Boardwalk Empire or some "proper" HBO stuff but it's a bit too boring for me :D

Despise most reality TV, except for my unhealthy obsession with Survivor ;) I'm on the 24th season :eek:

What movies you seen lately? Saw Prometheus, really liked it!

i heard prometheus wasnt as good as the other aliens? Any one else watch the mentalist? im addicted :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭paddyzk

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    i heard prometheus wasnt as good as the other aliens? Any one else watch the mentalist? im addicted :D

It wasn't as good but it was still class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

I applied last year for w/e (in 2nd yr) and got told nope, but they'd keep it on file for the future :(

I've been there before (long story), it would be awesome to work there, free food and sweets (yum) and generally cool decor. I sincerely hope I'm not under an NDA :/

I'll apply to Microsoft, even tho I'm a Windows hater (Linux FTW).
    Having real worries now that every Tom Dick and Harry will want to do Computer Science, driving the points up :( . CS is not for everyone, so w/e will be great for people to decide if it's for them :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Hey Peoples :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

Having real worries now that every Tom Dick and Harry will want to do Computer Science, driving the points up :( . CS is not for everyone, so w/e will be great for people to decide if it's for them :)

Friend of mine did W/E in MS, (uncle works there), he thought it was unreal. I was impressed with what he told me anyway :p And I use Ubuntu.
    I'm also thinking of doing CS, did work experience in a small computer software company. And yeah I reckon the points will be 360-380 for 2014 (What matters for me), could be 400 by 2016.

I applied last year for w/e (in 2nd yr) and got told nope, but they'd keep it on file for the future :(

I've been there before (long story), it would be awesome to work there, free food and sweets (yum) and generally cool decor. I sincerely hope I'm not under an NDA :/

Friend of mine did W/E in MS, (uncle works there), he thought it was unreal. I was impressed with what he told me anyway :p And I use Ubuntu.
    I'm also thinking of doing CS, did work experience in a small computer software company. And yeah I reckon the points will be 360-380 for 2014 (What matters for me), could be 400 by 2016.

Any idea how to apply? I presume it's online, would be a bit ironic if it wasn't :pac:

Computer Science seems to be the thing now! ATM with girls especially it's nursing or teaching :rolleyes:

Any idea how to apply? I presume it's online, would be a bit ironic if it wasn't :pac:

Computer Science seems to be the thing now! ATM with girls especially it's nursing or teaching :rolleyes:

That's the real problem. The subject is not for everyone, people don't read what the course involves before applying :(

www.codeacademy.com I think, great walkthroughs on JavaScript I believe. Learning C on my own over the summer. :/ What an exciting life I lead :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I use Ubuntu.
    High five! sudo apt-get install AtomicKoala !

So u are going in 5th Yr? I was considering not doing TY solely because the points for CS will be going up every year.

A 5th year guy know wanted to do Computer Science in TCD "because I want to make websites". I don't think he realised that that isn't really any significant part of that course :L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

High five! sudo apt-get install AtomicKoala !

So u are going in 5th Yr? I was considering not doing TY solely because the points for CS will be going up every year.

A 5th year guy know wanted to do Computer Science in TCD "because I want to make websites". I don't think he realised that that isn't really any significant part of that course :L

I wouldn't be a computer genius myself but I know the languages involved(Need to get around to learning them). Anyone know good languages to learn, I have a bit of c#, do simple loops, nearly managed a calculator but I messed up the code too much.
    Unfortunately too many people think that CS is "making sites", as if it's as easy as HTML...

I know absolutely no code, thanks for the link there dalta5billion

I want to do something with languages, because I know they're something I can and will definitely use in my life, nevermind (hopefully) a job. I don't see the point in subjects such as history tbh, you automatically forget everything after the exam unless you really like the subject

I know absolutely no code, thanks for the link there dalta5billion

I want to do something with languages, because I know they're something I can and will definitely use in my life, nevermind (hopefully) a job. I don't see the point in subjects such as history tbh, you automatically forget everything after the exam unless you really like the subject

I want to continue on doing a language in 3rd level :) German ftw.
    Same here tbh,histoy is only useful for one thing - teaching.

paddyzk wrote: »
    I want to continue on doing a language in 3rd level :) German ftw.
    Same here tbh,histoy is only useful for one thing - teaching.

I know a girl who wants to do archaeology. :confused: She's not even that passionate, just likes the idea, "finding dinosaurs and stuff".

Deutsch is klasse :D

• Advertisement

I wanna do science B) Preferably genetics/immunology/neurology/nanoscience/pharmacy :D
    /nerd

I know a girl who wants to do archaeology. :confused: She's not even that passionate, just likes the idea, "finding dinosaurs and stuff".

Deutsch is klasse :D

She will go far in life. :rolleyes:

I feel like I'm the only person who thinks that History is useful...

Troxck wrote: »
    I wouldn't be a computer genius myself but I know the languages involved(Need to get around to learning them). Anyone know good languages to learn, I have a bit of c#, do simple loops, nearly managed a calculator but I messed up the code too much.
    Unfortunately too many people think that CS is "making sites", as if it's as easy as HTML...

Well done! You probably know more than the people who are going into CS! The fact that you know what it's really all about and show persistence means you're more than suited to CS I'd say.

*Embarrassing disclosure: haven't done any HTML / CSS yet. I'm kind of crap at design...

Everyone thinks that 'making apps' means simply dragging and dropping interface elements etc.

Personally I'm probably behind you. All I've done is a bit of python and shell scripting (not very advanced languages :/ ) and I only started C days ago.

Just a quick question for everyone, out of interest.

Of those thinking of doing Computers in the future, what language (if any) did you pick?

I personally find German to be a very logical language, easy for me to comprehend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

All talk of computers on here.. Pffft.. Medicine FTW ;)

Of those thinking of doing Computers in the future, what language (if any) did you pick?

I personally find German to be a very logical language, easy for me to comprehend.

Couldn't agree more,I know more German than I do irish.Its just so structured.

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    All talk of computers on here.. Pffft.. Medicine FTW ;)
    Anything HPAT is a no no for me :D

Fair play to you that you know what you want already. Unfortunately alot of people doing medicine do it for the status or to not "waste" points, nonsense tbh. Do whst you will like!

Couldn't agree more,I know more German than I do irish.Its just so structured.
    Have to agree with both of ye, german is just a load of rules and when you have them it all comes together.

French is actually very easy too, so unbelievably similar to english imho.

Japanese though is a different ballgame. It is structured so differently you have to actually think in the language itself, translating is a headache! And thats without the 3 alphabets and completely new sounds!

German, I also do French but will be dropping it. German is almost logical. It has a pattern.

• Advertisement

Well done! You probably know more than the people who are going into CS! The fact that you know what it's really all about and show persistence means you're more than suited to CS I'd say.

*Embarrassing disclosure: haven't done any HTML / CSS yet. I'm kind of crap at design...

Everyone thinks that 'making apps' means simply dragging and dropping interface elements etc.

Personally I'm probably behind you. All I've done is a bit of python and shell scripting (not very advanced languages :/ ) and I only started C days ago.

Honestly, I find c# easier than HTML/CSS... We did it in class and my teacher was impressed I could make text scroll across the screen. I had to show her then she started teaching the rest of our year... The only thing holding me back is maths, I'm not good at it...

Wish I did french & German.
    Woodwork was the bane of my existence.

Glad I didn't do Woodwork, I'd put everyone in the class is some serious danger. French is easy enough to do well in, I nearly got a B in the mocks and I can barely form a sentence...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭KirkCheated09

French is puuuuuuure simples.. I never EVEEEER study for it! Got B in the mocks and did like 15 mins study the night before the JC and I reckon I got an A :cool:
    ..woodwork is a lovely subject :pac: My teacher never did any theory with us but it's all fairly handy :P

French is puuuuuuure simples.. I never EVEEEER study for it! Got B in the mocks and did like 15 mins study the night before the JC and I reckon I got an A :cool:
    ..woodwork is a lovely subject :pac: My teacher never did any theory with us but it's all fairly handy :P

You're back !

I just find the tenses really hard. I much prefer the French exam to the German though.

Noone ever does Spanish </3 /foreveralone

I just find the tenses really hard. I much prefer the French exam to the German though.

You don't need to know them that well for french though, just know how to say I went.. I'm going.. I will go etc :P

como estas? .. is that right?

• Advertisement

You don't need to know them that well for french though, just know how to say I went.. I'm going.. I will go etc :P

That's what I did for the JC pretty much. Dropping it, can't see myself doing well in 5th with French

como estas? .. is that right?

Muy bien, correcto :)

Mal, y tu? :P

soy buen

soy buen

Estoy bien* :P

Honestly, I find c# easier than HTML/CSS... We did it in class and my teacher was impressed I could make text scroll across the screen. I had to show her then she started teaching the rest of our year... The only thing holding me back is maths, I'm not good at it...

Literally everyone I know who has done CS has said they're crap at maths. They all say it's a different type of maths.

I don't know if Project Maths helps with more "problem solving" aspects, but they took off matrices and something else off the course, which apparently are an important part (arrays?).

On a side note, holy crap I want to go to your school. Our 'programming' module was basically us typing in the source code of a python text game. It was a 'success' if you got it to run. FFS like... :rolleyes:

Literally everyone I know who has done CS has said they're crap at maths. They all say it's a different type of maths.

I don't know if Project Maths helps with more "problem solving" aspects, but they took off matrices and something else off the course, which apparently are an important part (arrays?).

On a side note, holy crap I want to go to your school. Our 'programming' module was basically us typing in the source code of a python text game. It was a 'success' if you got it to run. FFS like... :rolleyes:

This was basic HTML, we had to make our timetable, some people couldn't make a box... I heard Python was really hard, what type of text game?

• Advertisement

Can someone explain programming to me ? :cool:

This was basic HTML, we had to make our timetable, some people couldn't make a box... I heard Python was really hard, what type of text game?
    Much easier than C or C#, trust me :roll eyes:

As in picks a random number between one and twenty, while trys<5, check if guess ==(is equal to) random number , if so print "you got it" and trys = 5. Else, print "nope" and trys =(trys + 1)

Python's handy, most of the libraries (e.g. random number generator) are easy to include.

Sure, can't sleep anyways. Fire away, or will I start?

What do you mean? It's basically writing a programme you use. Like, someone had to write your OS, someone had to write all the files you would use... It's basically a set of instructions you tell your computer to do and it does it.
    Like, in c# you do Console.WriteLine("Paddyzk");
    Console.ReadLine();
    I just wrote a "programme" to tell your computer to write Paddyzk

Right here's an "app" to tell when the temperature is too hot for you

myidealtemp = 21

if(current temp >= myidealtemp)
    print("It's too hot")
    else:
    print("It's too cold")

• Advertisement
Advertisement