Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Question for those who paid the Household Charge

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

marienbad wrote: »
    Still smaller than the jackboot that will descend on you for not paying :)

Yes "jackboot" is a very appropriate word considering the Germans are putting it on poor wee Enda's neck and the wee lapdog is still smiling up at them waiting to be petted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Yes "jackboot" is a very appropriate word considering the Germans are putting it on poor wee Enda's neck and the wee lapdog is still smiling up at them waiting to be petted.

Yeah, I though that might appeal to you, the fact that it is'nt true I suppose won't make a difference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Enright wrote: »
    has anything been done to the people who haven't paid yet? it a bit unfair to expect people to pay it again when such a large amount have yet to pay it once.

We are to get letters apparently...... http://www.independent.ie/national-news/letter-plan-to-target-household-tax-dodgers-3126782.html

It has taken them 2 months at least and they still haven't processed all those that have registered and paid the charge. So good luck rounding up the rest....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

mikom wrote: »
    We are to get letters apparently...... http://www.independent.ie/national-news/letter-plan-to-target-household-tax-dodgers-3126782.html

It has taken them 2 months at least and they still haven't processed all those that have registered and paid the charge. So good luck rounding up the rest....

Jesus, Gotta say I'm really bricking it now.... I might get a letter in the post!

Soft, strong and thoroughly absorbing!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Hijpo

dvpower wrote: »
    Hijpo wrote: »
    Obviously they will favour there own towns/upper class localities over others, lets be honest about it.
    Claptrap.
    Show me the evidence.

Lol, what a fantastic come back. Its the government, surely thats evidence enough going on past experiences. Oh wait you want solid concrete proof of something that hasnt happend yet, clever boy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Lol, what a fantastic come back. Its the government, surely thats evidence enough going on past experiences. Oh wait you want solid concrete proof of something that hasnt happend yet, clever boy.

Can you give me the solid concrete proof of where the government, in the past, have diverted council funds to favour there own towns/upper class localities over others?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Can you give me the solid concrete proof of where the government, in the past, have diverted council funds to favour there own towns/upper class localities over others?

I can show you evidence of a dishonest, under handed, swindeling, dodgy dealing government and that line i read covering there actions on household tax spending opens the door for them to look after themselfs even more. To believe they wont take advantage of it is nonsence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

I'd suggest a fairer taxation. Listening to Joe Duffy the other day he stated that farmers pay less than 1% of the total tax take. Nobody contradicted his figures and I don't know where he got those figures from but if he's right then the country reeks of favouritism. There are many farmers driving around in 30k plus Mercs. They seem to be getting life very easy. Their children get free education grants etc while they get most of the European grant money.

Hitting the same people for everything will not work. Its time to spread the tax net.

You lost me at Joe Duffy...

Enright wrote: »
    has anything been done to the people who haven't paid yet?

Big Phil was on about it today, saying Local Authorities will soon start sending out letters. Hopefully Rich Boy Barrett and Mick the Wally will be first up against the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Anna Nicole

I'd suggest a fairer taxation. Listening to Joe Duffy the other day he stated that farmers pay less than 1% of the total tax take. Nobody contradicted his figures and I don't know where he got those figures from but if he's right then the country reeks of favouritism. There are many farmers driving around in 30k plus Mercs. They seem to be getting life very easy. Their children get free education grants etc while they get most of the European grant money.

Hitting the same people for everything will not work. Its time to spread the tax net.

I dunno where your farmers are but they are not round my part of the country. ' they seem to get life very easy?' as opposed to who? People on the dole sitting on the jacks all day, popping out children and getting all paid for from uniforms to medical cards? And I'm not talking about the people who are in the unfortunate situation these days that would love to work, I'm talking about the people who didn't work even when it was plentiful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Big Phil was on about it today, saying Local Authorities will soon start sending out letters.

It will be fascinating to see who the letters do and don't go to.
    A very public display of records kept by inter departmental civil servants will be out for everyone to see.
    I for one, am extremely confident in our civil service/ public sector employees that those records will be very accurate and complete :pac:

I actually envisage a lot of dead people receiving letters for starters...

Zamboni wrote: »
    I actually envisage a lot of dead people receiving letters for starters...

I doubt it, all they have to do is check with the General Registrar's Office to see if the person in question is deceased or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

I doubt it, all they have to do is check with the General Registrar's Office to see if the person in question is deceased or not.

I know. It sounds so simple :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

*flashback to a few months back when all the pensioners got the scary revenue letters*
    The Revenue Commissioners last week wrote to 150,000 people, warning 115,000 of them that they might owe more tax than they thought. Even though they were factually correct, they handled the entire exercise so badly that they created a major embarrassment and unnecessarily frightened the vast majority of recipients who owe little or nothing in the way of extra tax. By their own admission, the number of people likely to owe anything significant is probably a few thousand. On top of this, they wrote to thousands of people who have no pensions or who are still in work.

As a consequence of the mass mailing, the Revenue has had to set up a help line to explain the situation to frightened pensioners. Cabinet ministers have made public statements about it. It occupies the top slot in the news.
    http://bocktherobber.com/2012/01/revenue-letter-to-pensioners-presents-opportunity-for-better-communication-between-government-and-people/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭flutered

happy days for some of the public service, overtime or other perks, wondering will it be akin to the passport saga of recent times, oh yeah, when their own names and addys appear, will they dissapear thro the cracks in the floorboards.

Big Phil was on about it today, saying Local Authorities will soon start sending out letters. Hopefully Rich Boy Barrett and Mick the Wally will be first up against the wall.

I wonder does James Reilly pay the €100 on his luxurious country home which is grant funded by the taxpayer?

Solid, concrete proof an any favouritism / wrongdoing by anyone in public office seems really hard to come by in our little country.

Masters of the art of corruption, they cover their tracks well.

Mind you, while they are the legislators, it's hardly surprising that no 'crimes' are committed.

You lost me at Joe Duffy...

I thought that might happen to you alright :rolleyes:

I thought that might happen to you alright :rolleyes:

Should change his username to CanNotCompute......:D or even better WillNotCompute....

I dunno where your farmers are but they are not round my part of the country. ' they seem to get life very easy?' as opposed to who? People on the dole sitting on the jacks all day, popping out children and getting all paid for from uniforms to medical cards? And I'm not talking about the people who are in the unfortunate situation these days that would love to work, I'm talking about the people who didn't work even when it was plentiful[/QUOTE

Farmers are not immune from freebies either, grants from Europe, education etc.
    I do agree with you on the rest of your post though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

I can show you evidence of a dishonest, under handed, swindeling, dodgy dealing government and that line i read covering there actions on household tax spending opens the door for them to look after themselfs even more. To believe they wont take advantage of it is nonsence.
    gerryo777 wrote: »
    Solid, concrete proof an any favouritism / wrongdoing by anyone in public office seems really hard to come by in our little country.

Masters of the art of corruption, they cover their tracks well.

Mind you, while they are the legislators, it's hardly surprising that no 'crimes' are committed.
    I'll take that as a No.

I'll take that as a No.

Thought you would ok.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I wouldn't be surprised at all if the charge on Barrett's residence paid by its owners - his parents.

Potential shades of Noel Edmond's "I don't have a TV licence" / BBC TVL - "There is a TV licence issued for his property" thing here. Person making the campaign claim doesn't pay for it themselves, but it gets paid none the less.

Advertisement