Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Question for those who paid the Household Charge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

As Enda Kenny said -

It is morally wrong, unjust and unfair to tax a persons home.

- Enda Kenny on house taxes, 1994

So what if he said that, do you stand by everything you said 18 years ago ?

Things change ,times change . We are still undertaxed compared to other developed countries . This is one of the fairer taxes . What would you suggest ?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,493 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

marienbad wrote: »
    So what if he said that, do you stand by everything you said 18 years ago ?

Things change ,times change . We are still undertaxed compared to other developed countries . This is one of the fairer taxes . What would you suggest ?

Well Enda hasn't stood by ANYTHING he said in the last few years, particularly his pre-election promises and 5 point plan.
    There is nothing fair about this tax at all as not everyone has to pay it.
    I would suggest an increase in Income Tax as I resent a tax being put on the home I struggled to pay a mortgage on for many years. I agree with Enda's 1994 statement.

Well Enda hasn't stood by ANYTHING he said in the last few years, particularly his pre-election promises and 5 point plan.
    There is nothing fair about this tax at all as not everyone has to pay it.
    I would suggest an increase in Income Tax as I resent a tax being put on the home I struggled to pay a mortgage on for many years. I agree with Enda's 1994 statement.

You are just being naive now- what Enda said or did'nt say in the past is simply irrelevant . The position we find ourselves is effectively our ''zero hour'' and we have to do as best we can moving forward , and this is one of the fairer taxes out there.

By the way I have paid a mortgage all my working life and hoped to be clear of it next year, but now we have this tax - such is life.
    If I can afford to pay it I will pay it and if not I will be exempt- can't be fairer than that. As i said earlier - long overdue as long as it is applied correctly.

You are just being naive now- what Enda said or did'nt say in the past is simply irrelevant . The position we find ourselves is effectively our ''zero hour'' and we have to do as best we can moving forward , and this is one of the fairer taxes out there.

By the way I have paid a mortgage all my working life and hoped to be clear of it next year, but now we have this tax - such is life.
    If I can afford to pay it I will pay it and if not I will be exempt- can't be fairer than that. As i said earlier - long overdue as long as it is applied correctly.

Then we will have to disagree on this. I won't be paying it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

As Enda Kenny said -

It is morally wrong, unjust and unfair to tax a persons home.

- Enda Kenny on house taxes, 1994

At this stage, when I see this quote being dug up, I realise that someone has run out of arguing tactics.

If you're going to deny the official inflation figures, you could at least try to provide some proof to back yourself up.

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote: »
    At this stage, when I see this quote being dug up, I realise that someone has run out of arguing tactics.

If you're going to deny the official inflation figures, you could at least try to provide some proof to back yourself up.
    Well now !! When I see the promises that Enda made about not another cent into Anglo, doing away with cronyism, and looking for a write-down I know I am in good company. When he refuses to debate on t.v.3, instead sends on the clowns and hides his Household Tax minister I know I have made a very good decision.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Well now !! When I see the promises that Enda made about not another cent into Anglo, doing away with cronyism, and looking for a write-down I know I am in good company. When he refuses to debate on t.v.3, instead sends on the clowns and hides his Household Tax minister I know I have made a very good decision.

If you honestly think that a Labour or FF led government wouldn't have brought in a property tax, you're delusional.

If you honestly think that a ULA or SF led government would have done anything other than led the country to actual poverty, you're delusional.

You'll be paying the household charge or paying it plus some court fines - one or the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

Then we will have to disagree on this. I won't be paying it.

Still with you tayto!

If you honestly think that a Labour or FF led government wouldn't have brought in a property tax, you're delusional.

If you honestly think that a ULA or SF led government would have done anything other than led the country to actual poverty, you're delusional.

You'll be paying the household charge or paying it plus some court fines - one or the other.

No and won't pay court fines either. So its Mountjoy for me and the other million. I hear they're extending it.

No and won't pay court fines either. So its Mountjoy for me and the other million. I hear they're extending it.

If you think there's a million who haven't paid, you're not particularly good at maths.

If you do end up in a situation of refusing to pay a court fine, you'd likely end up effectively going through a revolving door at Mountjoy. Will be fun trying to go to the US, get certain types of jobs, etc afterwards though. Hence why I'd be willing to lay money on you paying as soon as a final demand comes through.

This is just bin charges Mk2 - a few wannabe heros from the ULA will go to prison, everyone else will pay, end of fight.

• Advertisement

If you think there's a million who haven't paid, you're not particularly good at maths.

If you do end up in a situation of refusing to pay a court fine, you'd likely end up effectively going through a revolving door at Mountjoy. Will be fun trying to go to the US, get certain types of jobs, etc afterwards though. Hence why I'd be willing to lay money on you paying as soon as a final demand comes through.

This is just bin charges Mk2 - a few wannabe heros from the ULA will go to prison, everyone else will pay, end of fight.

At my age I have done my travelling. My working days are almost done too. I just will not pay a tax on my home. I have always paid my other taxes but find this a bridge too far. Have never claimed the dole and have hardly any sick days in all my years of employment (two or three I think for an injury).
    My bin charges are paid to a private company too.
    I have no fear of standing up for what I believe in and if that means Mountjoy then so be it. It will be ironic however that people who see this Household Tax as unjust could end up in Mountjoy but the Bankers, speculators and other friends of the political elite will probably not and it was they who ruined this country.

At my age I have done my travelling. My working days are almost done too. I just will not pay a tax on my home. I have always paid my other taxes but find this a bridge too far. Have never claimed the dole and have hardly any sick days in all my years of employment (two or three I think for an injury).
    My bin charges are paid to a private company too.
    I have no fear of standing up for what I believe in and if that means Mountjoy then so be it. It will be ironic however that people who see this Household Tax as unjust could end up in Mountjoy but the Bankers, speculators and other friends of the political elite will probably not and it was they who ruined this country.

Will you pay water charges if they come in ?

Will you pay water charges if they come in ?

Yes I will. I will pay for my services.

Did you ( or would you have) paid household rates back in the old days ?

Did you ( or would you have) paid household rates back in the old days ?

No. Not since i bought my first house in 1977.

No. Not since i bought my first house in 1977.

would you have paid them ?

would you have paid them ?

Don't know. I have a big problem with paying a tax on my own property. A property i chose, struggled to pay for, upkeep and furnish over many years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

You're not a member of your local library, there is no public lighting where you live, or footpaths, or Council leisure centres, community centres? Bizarre!

You're not a member of your local library, there is no public lighting where you live, or footpaths, or Council leisure centres, community centres? Bizarre!

Exactly. Holes in all the roads and the mobile library doesn't stop near my house. I feel my income tax, P.R.S.I. and car tax has been wasted :rolleyes:

Bull****e argument.
    Do people who don't own their homes and are housed by LA's etc not use these services?

• Advertisement

Don't know. I have a big problem with paying a tax on my own property. A property i chose, struggled to pay for, upkeep and furnish over many years.

Any chance your objection is related to the fact that you are retiring soon and your preference for an income tax rise is related to the fact that you will be liable for less .

gerryo777 wrote: »
    Bull****e argument.
    Do people who don't own their homes and are housed by LA's etc not use these services?

Who do you think Enda will send out to apologize to Angela if it's a No vote ? My money is on Lucinda. He definitely won't go himself when he wouldn't go on the Vincent Brown show.

Any chance your objection is related to the fact that you are retiring soon and your preference for an income tax rise is related to the fact that you will be liable for less .

No. As I said it's because I object to a tax on my home.

Who do you think Enda will send out to apologize to Angela if it's a No vote ? My money is on Lucinda. He definitely won't go himself when he wouldn't go on the Vincent Brown show.

You seem to have a big problem with Enda - did he do a Lineker and steal your crisps ??:)

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Questionable?

Not sure how accurate this is but saw this earlier on the ‘net:

“You won’t get a bill because the charge is a Statute. People need to understand this: A Statute is a “legislated rule of society given the force of law by the consent of the governed.”(Black’s Law Dictionary 4th edition). Who are those it governs? Us, the public.
    This household charge is a Statute, otherwise known as an Act of Government and only carries the force of law upon you if you consent to it which means that you are legally obliged to pay if you consent or in other words go on to householdcharge.ie and register. Your silence and inaction will also give the appearance of no consent. If you do not consent, a Statute cannot affect you in any way whatsoever.
    The courts know this and the last thing they will do is tell you. In fact they will hide this from you at every opportunity they can. On the other hand, if you tell them, they will accept it because they know it is actually true. According to the above definitions a statutory instrument is a contract. If you register for this “charge” you are consenting to this statute ie: signing the contract. This is why the Government are ASKING the people to register and not just billing them instead.”

Big phil?

You seem to have a big problem with Enda - did he do a Lineker and steal your crisps ??:)

No. He made promises that he had no intention of keeping. He even e-mailed me for my vote promising more junk, as did Phil Hogan. Believe me when I say I have no time for politicians of any hue for many a year. They have dedicated followers but only look after themselves in the end. None of them with a shade of honour at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

Not sure how accurate this is but saw this earlier on the ‘net:

“You won’t get a bill because the charge is a Statute. People need to understand this: A Statute is a “legislated rule of society given the force of law by the consent of the governed.”(Black’s Law Dictionary 4th edition). Who are those it governs? Us, the public.
    This household charge is a Statute, otherwise known as an Act of Government and only carries the force of law upon you if you consent to it which means that you are legally obliged to pay if you consent or in other words go on to householdcharge.ie and register. Your silence and inaction will also give the appearance of no consent. If you do not consent, a Statute cannot affect you in any way whatsoever.
    The courts know this and the last thing they will do is tell you. In fact they will hide this from you at every opportunity they can. On the other hand, if you tell them, they will accept it because they know it is actually true. According to the above definitions a statutory instrument is a contract. If you register for this “charge” you are consenting to this statute ie: signing the contract. This is why the Government are ASKING the people to register and not just billing them instead.”

this is absolute nonsense and it's peddled by the 'Free Men' or what ever they call them selves.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Weylin

RATM wrote: »
    I was just talking to my pensioner aged mother yesterday and had asked her if she paid the household charge. She said she hadn't and also that she didn't intend to, regardless of fines or penalties. She is a completely law abiding citizen (up until now at least), I remember laughing at how mortified she was at once getting caught speeding for doing 56kph in a 50kph zone. Since then she always has one eye on the speedmeter so it doesn't happen again !

Anyway I asked her why she didn't pay, given that she is not one to go around flouting the law, etc. She said it is not the €100 but that she is worried sick about what is coming down the line. Her situation is probably not unlike that of a lot of pensioners in the country- she lives in a large five bedroom house and now all the kids have moved on. It is home to her (and us) so there is no question of her ever downsizing to a 2 bed apartment or something similar.

Her main worry is how they are going to calculate the property tax next year and she is fearful of it being done on square footage of the house and the surrounding gardens, which total about 3/4 of an acre.

It got me thinking that tons of other people are in a very similar situation as my mother. We already have heard a figure of circa €600 mentioned as next years household charge. Ultimately the household charge is going to be somewhere in the region of €1k-€2k per household which would be in line with what citizens in other countries pay, I know a 3 bed semi in Islington, London comes in at £1,300.

My mothers fear is that becuase the house and gardens are on the large side she is going to get hit at the upper end of the €2k range, a sum of money that she just doesn't have lying about the place.

So my questions is specifically to people who have paid the €100 Household Charge. Are you ready and willing to pay a charge (be it next year or thereafter) of €1k-€2k per year ? Or are we going to see even more mass disobedience when those who have paid €100 begin to realise that it is only a small sum compared to what they are expected to pay annually ?

Interested to hear peoples thoughts please.
    why dont u pay it ? obviously u are living there, probably rent free as well,and no mortgage repayments ,how long more are you going to freeload off her,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

NB we rent and thus this is for the landlord, who if he tried to add to our already high rent would get short shrift.

After living in the Uk until ten years ago, we are used to rates, water charges tec, but built into the system there are reductions for eg pensioners, the disabled etc on low incomes.
    ie means tested.

The system there also is that if you do nto pay, they can claim you assets and property... I was late paying once and got a bailiff's letter saying they would take my sheep and goats, and they did put a lien on my bank account to the amount they said I owed.

Seems that folk objecting spent far more on travelling etc to protest than they would have paying the charge. But then this seems a way of life for some here?

Advertisement