Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Poets 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭_pure_mule_

AnnaKin wrote: »
    So: question for anyone like me who is doing three or less poets:

What will yas do if no one comes up? I think i'd waffle one on a poet i had done but didnt study. But it would be a veeeerrry poor essay!
    That's what I'll do too:)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Enda93

I know I've posted this already on a different thread but I'm told that they pick names out of a hat so realistically it could be anyone.

*Edit* Just thought about that again, if you look at the list of poets, 3 are Irish, 3 are female and 3 are none of the above, so my estimation is that they randomly select one from each of these categories and then add one more. I'm studying 6 poets just to be doubly sure, but this seems to me to be the most logical selection process.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Astrozombies

AnnaKin wrote: »
    So: question for anyone like me who is doing three or less poets:

What will yas do if no one comes up? I think i'd waffle one on a poet i had done but didnt study. But it would be a veeeerrry poor essay!

but in fairness plath/heaney HAS to come up, there'd be uproar in Ireland if they didn't. Imagine all those angry parents on the phone to Joe Duffy over how the leaving cert is a disgrace :P they will come up, don't worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Astrozombies

Enda93 wrote: »
    I know I've posted this already on a different thread but I'm told that they pick names out of a hat so realistically it could be anyone.

*Edit* Just thought about that again, if you look at the list of poets, 3 are Irish, 3 are female and 3 are none of the above, so my estimation is that they randomly select one from each of these categories and then add one more. I'm studying 6 poets just to be doubly sure, but this seems to me to be the most logical selection process.

definitely not picked from a hat anyways. My english teacher knows people in the department and he's certain the way they choose poets is logical and based on things like, how often they come up and who has been in the public eye recently, or anniversaries.

Enda93 wrote: »

definitely not picked from a hat anyways. My english teacher knows people in the department and he's certain the way they choose poets is logical and based on things like, how often they come up and who has been in the public eye recently, or anniversaries.

Well, my English teacher is in a similar situation in that he also knows people in the dept. and this is what they've been telling him, either way, prediction is never safe, there has been plenty of times when a poet certain to come up hasn't, and it doesn't really matter whether there's uproar about it or not seeing as the leaving cert is based on knowledge of the course content rather than prediction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

Just study all the poets in the world. You'll be safe then!

I am the department for education by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Raeone

I have half studied one poet, and one poet only. If anyone else comes up I'll have to leave it blank and even if the poet I studied comes up, I'll struggle to write a decent essay. I actually am ****ed for all these exams and don't even think I'll scrape 200points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Raeone wrote: »
    I have half studied one poet, and one poet only. If anyone else comes up I'll have to leave it blank and even if the poet I studied comes up, I'll struggle to write a decent essay. I actually am ****ed for all these exams and don't even think I'll scrape 200points.

Well why don't you study more than one poet then?

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

but in fairness plath/heaney HAS to come up, there'd be uproar in Ireland if they didn't. Imagine all those angry parents on the phone to Joe Duffy over how the leaving cert is a disgrace :P they will come up, don't worry.

Just wondering, why do you say those two have to come up? Everyone seems to think Plath is coming up, I dunno why though :confused:? I'm not doing Heaney so that doesn't affect me.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭silversky

I dunno why people keep giving out about making predictions.

Yes it is a risk but it's your own descion.

Seamus Heaney, is tipped to come up. Why? He hasn't come up since 2003 AND he's not on next years course. IMO he is the most likely to come up. If he doesn't the examiners for the English paper have completely changed the way they put the exam together.

Plath is tipped to come up. Why? It's her 50th anniversary. BUT she is on next years course. She's likely but not as likely as Heaney.

The only problem is, our exams were being put together when Ruairi Quinn was ranting and raving about the LC being too predictable, so really it could go either way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

silversky wrote: »
    Plath is tipped to come up. Why? It's her 50th anniversary. BUT she is on next years course. She's likely but not as likely as Heaney.

I completely forgot about that! :o She's on the course for the next two years though, so I don't think she'll be on. Rich is on just next year, so she has a decent chance, and Boland's not on for the next two years, so they could put her on two years in a row to make it less predictable or whatever. That's what I'm hoping anyway! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Ack, all this talk about Poetry. Plath, Larkin and Heaney will be on the paper- or at least 2/3. Without a doubt..

My proof?.. None..:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

How many poems have ye guys covered for each poet? And in general do you use all of them, barring that they apply to the question?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

silversky wrote: »

Seamus Heaney, is tipped to come up. Why? He hasn't come up since 2003 AND he's not on next years course.
    He is. I think he'll still appear though, but I doubt Kinsella will.

poets coming up on the exam aren't decided on the basis of whether or not they're coming up on next year's course, if anything, they'll be decided on for reasons such as anniversaries etc..
    not a fact, just my opinion, but if the leaving cert poets were decided on just because they wont be on next years exam then it would be far too easy to predict.

Lads when was young Plath last up?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

For some reason I think that Plath , Rich , Heaney and Larkin will be the ones on the paper. I don't know why . But Boland could possibly appear again but I don't think she will.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Ash3070

Keeping in mind that a female poet and an Irish poet have always come up do you think it'd be okay to just learn Plath, Rich and Boland? x x x

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Togepi wrote: »
    Lads when was young Plath last up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

oh its so gonna be boland:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Most likely. You have to ask yourself are you able to confidently answer on each poet, regardless of how difficult the question is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

Ah sure, YOLO.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Ash3070 wrote: »
    Keeping in mind that a female poet and an Irish poet have always come up do you think it'd be okay to just learn Plath, Rich and Boland? x x x

I'd so yeah xoxo

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭NoHarm1994

Kinsella is a great shout ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭treely

IF the poets were picked randomly, and you did 3, you'd have a 7% chance of not getting a poet you've studied. However, I doubt they are picked randomly, which make the chances slimmer.

In other words, yeah, you'll be grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭silversky

Patchy~ wrote: »
    He is. I think he'll still appear though, but I doubt Kinsella will.

According to This Is Poetry 2013 he's not :confused:

2013 Poets: William Shakespeare,William Wordsworth, Gerard Manley Hopkins, Elizabeth Bishop, Thomas Kinsella, Adrienne Rich, Sylvia Plath
    Derek Mahon.

http://www.schoolbooksireland.ie/This-Is-Poetry-2013-Leaving-Cert-Higher-Level-Forum-Publications/9781906565138/

Anyway if I could put my money on any poet to come up it would be Heaney.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

heaney lads!! hasnt been on the course in years, and hes on this year and off again next year!! he has to be on the paper!!

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

If Boland is the only one I can do I'll actually cry.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Lynchy747

Sunny!! wrote: »
    oh its so gonna be boland:D

Boland was on last year ??

• Advertisement

Lynchy747 wrote: »
    Boland was on last year ??

Exactly. ;)

Advertisement