Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Poets 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 cg123

I honestly think il have a heart attack in the middle of the exam if Plath doesnt come up

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭aarond280

cg123 wrote: »
    I honestly think il have a heart attack in the middle of the exam if Plath doesnt come up
    which poets have you studied ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

Plath and Rich Hopefully.

Would discussing just 3 poems on a poet be enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Zaffy

Martin_94 wrote: »
    Plath and Rich Hopefully.

I usually try discussing 6 O.o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Martin_94 wrote: »

Yes, if you discuss them well and thoroughly and they relate to the question asked well. My Teacher told us me the amount of poems you discuss isn't that important, but try and show that you've studied at least 6. Maybe by saying, 'I have studied the following poems, A, B, C, D, E, F by Poet and will use a number of them in my discussion of the above statement'

My last poetry essay got 96% (Seamus Heaney) and I discussed 3 poems- Mossbawn 1: Sunlight, The Forge and A Constable Calls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭123 LC

I'm studying plath, heany, kinsella, boland, and probably look over rich !

I NEED Plath or Boland to come up :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8 cg123

aarond280 wrote: »
    which poets have you studied ??

I've studied Plath, Larkin, Kinsella, Frost and a bit of Rich.
    But I don't know the rest of them nearly as well as Plath and I doubt I'd be able to answer a question on them well enough at all.
    My next best after Plath is Kinsella but it would be my luck that neither of them would come up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

I'm going to go over Heaney,Kavanagh,Plath and Rich.Theres a small chance none of them will come up and if that happens I will cry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Chavways wrote: »
    I'm going to go over Heaney,Kavanagh,Plath and Rich.Theres a small chance none of them will come up and if that happens I will cry.

I'm doing the same... I'd say the chance'll be less than 1% so hopefully we'll be fine. Rich or Plath <3

ChemHickey wrote: »
    I'm doing the same... I'd say the chance'll be less than 1% so hopefully we'll be fine. Rich or Plath <3

I might use bernouli trials to see what the chances are.

• Advertisement

I did that a while back, it's something along the lines of
    1 poet - 50%
    2 - 79%
    3 - 91%
    4 - 98.6
    5 - 100

Something along those lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭smithy77

Im learning Plath, Heaney and Larkin.. 4 poems on each:)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Scarlett Scout

David1994 wrote: »
    We only have done Boland,Larkin,Plath and Heaney but I am confident my answers on these are A standard :D

Think that's a bad idea on your teachers part. . have ye even looked at a 5th poet? you haven't done all the female poets so your not guaranteed that or you haven't done all the Irish poets:pac:

aMc5g
    http://imgur.com/aMc5g

Not a great photo, but basically, starting from left, probability 1 comes up/2 come up/3 come up/4 come up/0 come up
    going down, 1 poet, 2 poets, 3 poets, 4 poets, 5 poets

Zaffy wrote: »
    aMc5g
    http://imgur.com/aMc5g

Not a great photo, but basically, starting from left, probability 1 comes up/2 come up/3 come up/4 come up/0 come up
    going down, 1 poet, 2 poets, 3 poets, 4 poets, 5 poets

So the chances that none of the 4 poets I'm going to study not coming up is 1.4%? Am I correct in that?

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭FreeFallin94

I know Frost, Heaney, Kavanagh, Boland well and I have also studied Rich (Really hope she doesn't come up). Seriously hope that Heaney or Kavanagh come up!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

So the chances that none of the 4 poets I'm going to study not coming up is 1.4%? Am I correct in that?

Nope its 50%

• Registered Users Posts: 26 johnson901

Would I be safe if I left out Larkin, Frost and Rich? We've only done Kavanagh, Kinsella, Plath, Boland, Rich and Heaney. What are the chances Rich will come up?? Hate her :mad:

Nope its 50%

Are you sure about that? Are you taking the 4 poets as a whole or each one seperately.I think you get different results if you do each seperately.

Yup, if you study 4, then you have a 1.4% chance of being screwed over.

• Advertisement

what about 3? I've studied Plath, Heaney and Larkin.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭bobjimmy

smithy77 wrote: »
    what about 3? I've studied Plath, Heaney and Larkin.

You have a 9% chance of being screwed over.

Thanks, thats not too bad:D .. I bet 1 is a bit dodgy though:p

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Scarlett Scout

Study 5 poets :D(at least have a good idea of them and the names of the poems)!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭aarond280

if you study 4 poets you have a 69/70 chance that one of them will come up
    if you study 3 poets you have a 65/70 chance that one will come up

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭xclw

study 5 poets, you've put so much work in for 2 years do you know how angry you'll be at yourself if you can't write about one on the day!!

xclw wrote: »
    study 5 poets, you've put so much work in for 2 years do you know how angry you'll be at yourself if you can't write about one on the day!!

I'm happy with the 98.6% chance of success.I'm struggling with 5 poems and 5 quotes each for 4 poets.If I add a fifth I'll forget everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

What poets do people think will be on the ordinary level paper ? Will they be the same as the ones that will appear on the higher

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

Arent there more/different ones at OL?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭NoHarm1994

Controversial, but I hope Plath doesn't come up. There I said it.

Advertisement