Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Poets 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I'm gonna study
    - Sylvia Plath
    - Eavan Boland
    - Adrienne Rich
    - Patrick Kavanagh
    - Philip Larkin

(I have Heaney done but I find it hard to answer questions about him so I'm picking up Larkin and Kavanagh)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

My problem if Heaney comes up is that we only finished him the other day and if I handed up an essay know I'd never get it back (seeing as my teacher averages a month to correct things), so I have no idea whether I can do a good essay on him or not. Bah, c'mon Sylvia.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Aomame

We've done Boland, Plath, Rich, Heaney and Kavanagh. Would love Heaney or Plath but especially Plath, I'm a tad obsessed :L Studying them all though not taking any chances! The main thing is to concentrate on the poems themselves and not rely on notes or essays!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 BritBrit

Ugh we just did Robert frost inside out and no one thinks he's coming up :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 88 ✭✭skanger

I'm only doing Larkin, i'll upload the pic of my A in August

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

All I'm doing is Plath and Larkin, wish me luck :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

ScareGilly wrote: »
    All I'm doing is Plath and Larkin, wish me luck :D
    I'm going to do Rich, Plath, Heaney <3, Kinsella and Larkin

I have an A1 essay on Heaney and then A2 answers on Rich + Kinsella and B1 answers on Larkin and Plath. Hoping for an easy couple of poetry questions this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭NoHarm1994

I am willing to bet anyone top dollar that at least 3 of..

-Phillip Larkin
    -Seamus Heaney
    -Sylvia Plath
    -Thomas Kinsella

...will come up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Will focus on Plath, Heaney and Rich

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

Think I'll focus on Plath, Heaney, Larkin and Rich, while also studying the other 3 just in case :) We didnt do Kinsella, oh well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭earwax_man

We've done:
    * Plath
    * Heaney
    * Rich
    * Kavanagh
    * Kinsella
    * Boland

I hope that either Rich or Plath come up; I dislike Kinsella's complexities involving psychology :o

I am definitely not doing Plath. If she comes up I know that my whole class will pick that question, hence to be different I will do another one regardless of who the poets are ;)
    Also I think it would be foolish not to study all 8 poets because at the end of the day, the more choice you have on the 7th of June the better :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Doing all 8 is just unnecessary tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

We only have done Boland,Larkin,Plath and Heaney but I am confident my answers on these are A standard :D

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

Am definetly studyin Larkin, Plath, Rich and Kavanagh! I actually really enjoy reading and writing about Plath and Larkin, don't ask me why :p probably will do Heaney too just really cba atm :pac:
    Plath seems to be really popular this year and lots of people I know are dead set on answering on her. Might stay away from her if she comes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Princessxx

Studied plath, Kavanagh, heaney , rich ,boland. I see heaney and plath coming up. But personally would love to see rich as I can practically quote her poetry word from word and she is easy to write about

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭AllyMcFearless

If Plath or Heaney come up, I will actually cry with happiness..

• Registered Users Posts: 7 condaly101

doing plath heaney and kinsella im praying atleast one of these will come up!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭aarond280

Heaney was on the news before Christmas, about the time the papers are made, so by my sense Heaney will be on. Hopefully, but to be sure to be sure, I am going to the three female poets Plath, Boland and Rich and hope Plath comes up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7 condaly101

wonder if u studied all the female poets would u be safe?

• Advertisement

condaly101 wrote: »

Risky business :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Raeone

condaly101 wrote: »

To this day, a female as always come up. People always say that a female has to come up but this isn't a fact, its just chances are that it will. So you will be taking a risk but chances are a female will come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Hoggy1000

I genuinely can't study poetry, and it's getting closer and closer and I still haven't done anything productive on them. I want to study Larkin, Plath, Heaney and kinsella but I just don't have a clue where to begin!

Hoggy1000 wrote: »
    I genuinely can't study poetry, and it's getting closer and closer and I still haven't done anything productive on them. I want to study Larkin, Plath, Heaney and kinsella but I just don't have a clue where to begin!
    Yeah same with me at English trying to do it now but just can't seem to find where to start did a bit of Hamlet. Any suggestions people on where to start :?

aarond280 wrote: »
    Yeah same with me at English trying to do it now but just can't seem to find where to start did a bit of Hamlet. Any suggestions people on where to start :?
    What I did when I was starting to study poetry was analysed at least 4 poems per poet. Discuss the theme and imagery etc. in the poem. Once you understand each poem you can make up a kind of essay plan thing. I find the easiest way to write a poetry essay is to discuss each poem separately in relation to what was asked in the question. Some people, however, swear by taking a theme by theme approach i.e discussing imagery referring to a number of poems then discussing realism or something. You'll have to find out what suits you though! Sorry if this doesn't make a whole lot of sense, I'm in a bit of a rush! :o

What I did when I was starting to study poetry was analysed at least 4 poems per poet. Discuss the theme and imagery etc. in the poem. Once you understand each poem you can make up a kind of essay plan thing. I find the easiest way to write a poetry essay is to discuss each poem separately in relation to what was asked in the question. Some people, however, swear by taking a theme by theme approach i.e discussing imagery referring to a number of poems then discussing realism or something. You'll have to find out what suits you though! Sorry if this doesn't make a whole lot of sense, I'm in a bit of a rush! :o
    Yeah kind of makes sense :D ha thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Guys, i'm starting to freak out a little bit. I know Rich, Heaney, Plath and Larkin fairly well at this stage. Kinsella I need a bit more work on but I think i'll be fine. I'm really considering just learning off a fairly broad, basic sample answer for Patrick Kavanagh incase he comes up. Do you think there's need to do 6 poets? I'm slightly freaking out at this stage at the sheer volume of material I need to learn in 3 weeks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Guys, i'm starting to freak out a little bit. I know Rich, Heaney, Plath and Larkin fairly well at this stage. Kinsella I need a bit more work on but I think i'll be fine. I'm really considering just learning off a fairly broad, basic sample answer for Patrick Kavanagh incase he comes up. Do you think there's need to do 6 poets? I'm slightly freaking out at this stage at the sheer volume of material I need to learn in 3 weeks!

I'm in the same predicament. I've only 4 poets done pretty much. Not doing larkin but kav instead. same three as you too. I'm not going to do a 5th i think. too much extra work. no need to do 6 as only 4 will come up and with the poets you are doing, you'd have loads of choice. But in saying that, do it if you're overly worried. I'll probably end up writing a kinsella essay the day before! =S

Ya shouldn't stress so much! You have the most likely poets covered! That will give you loads of options on the day. I really don't think you'll need 6 poets! It's putting more stress on yourself. I'm covering Larkin, Kav, Rich and Plath and leaving it at that! I think if you know your poet and his/her poetry inside out you should be able to formulate a high end answer every time :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

If either Heaney, Plath or Kavanagh don't come up, then I may wipe my arse with the exam paper cause that's what i'l think of it :****

Advertisement