Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seen & Found

Options
1262728293032»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Thanks, could be that. I don't see boulders or stone piles anywhere around, but there's a little river there, maybe they'd use them along the river banks. I was looking at other pics where there were furze bushes where the circles are, but it's hard to figure if the circles could be a farmer digging out the furze roots and all, or if the furze was opportunistic and settled there after.

You're right about MMoore, he's on all the records, although there was a lady assigned to another area there too more recently. I emailed the NM records anyway, we'll see.

Hi again, do you see anything in this, and what could it be? Thanks

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I feel like that's machinery derived, it closely follows the lines of the field.

I don't mean to abuse anyone's patience, but I'm in the process of looking and reporting monuments in an area, and I don't want to waste the monuments' services time reporting silly things.

Getting your feedback here helps me determine if I'm imagining things.

Do you see anything of interest in the image below? You will probably need to enlarge it. Thank you!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

It’s not the clearest image tbh. Have you tried Google Earth Pro? It’s higher quality, free and you can use the time slider to view earlier images.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

There might be a hint of an enclosure to the right of the crosshairs. In the greener area and within a possible return in a field boundary?

There are lots of animal tracks there which might give the impression of features

None of the images are clear. I've been using GeoHive, Historic Environment Viewer, Google Earth Pro, and I'm googly eyed looking at many features such as on this image.

If it's ok Slowburner I will PM you with images, I'm chickening out of putting too much online. I would not want to draw attention to the place if it is something, I'm in the process of reporting. I am hoping someone from NMS will contact me directly rather than the usual way of emailing.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭HoteiMarkii

Medieval Pottery Sherd?

I'm curious if anyone would have any thoughts on the pottery sherd I've attached below? It was a surface find on plough soil. My initial thought was that it is medieval in date, dating from the 13th to 14th Century? A Norman motte and bailey is situated 500 metres south of the findspot. However, a cursory look online has turned up similarly glazed pottery known as English Borderware (see attached images). The sherd itself comprises a buff-coloured fabric.

It's a long shot I know, but someone may have an idea.

English Borderware (16th Century):

It is definitely medieval and your initial thought on date is about right. External lead glaze and a sand tempered fabric with quartzite inclusions. You say it is buff coloured but it looks more reddish in the photos. If it was a light buff colour, I would say Saintonge but the reddish hue suggests Irish or British. I think it is Irish but need to do a bit of research

Thanks, slowburner.

I would definitely say a light buff or cream-coloured fabric. I took the images in the absence of sunshine this evening. It doesn't really have a reddish hue as the photos would suggest. I'll take a couple of photos tomorrow in sunlight. Hopefully they'll give you a better idea of what it's likely to be?

Thanks again.

• Advertisement

Saintonge pottery would fit nicely into the narrative with the presence of the Anglo-Norman motte and bailey very close to the findspot.

Here is a detailed view of the fabric of Ham Green ware. Broadly contemporary with Saintonge but with a coarser fabric and more frequent inclusions

Hi slowburner,

If that's typical of Ham Green ware, I'd be relatively confident the sherd I have is not Ham Green. The fabric is far too coarse, and the colour is not right either (the Ham Green is far lighter in colour). I'll do my best to upload images at lunchtime.

More images of the pottery sherd:

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Mousie32

Hi folks,

Just came across this forum and thought I would share. While out hillwalking I came across this stone [headstone?] with what appeared to be some rock art [cupping] and other stones around - it looks like a grave. I said I would share on here to get peoples thoughts before I report to Monuments. There is nothing in this area in the Historic Environment Viewer but there are other rock art, standing stone and a crannog in the locality. Appreciate any comments / feedback.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I'd think that is indeed worth sharing, I feel there's something there but I find it harder to tell from photos than some of the more regular posters here

The largest stone does seem to have some potentially interesting linear marks. I would prefer not to get your hopes up though: they could easily be plough marks.

The hole is far too circular to be ancient unfortunately. It is more likely to be a 'spud stone'. These were sunk into the ground with a hole bored to hold a pivot for a door or gate.

The other stones appear to be part of a low wall and are not ancient.

Apologies for bursting bubbles but thank you for sharing. It would be good to see a clearer photo of the probable spud stone that shows the linear marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Mousie32

Hi Gremlinertia and slowburner, thank you for getting back to me. It is great to get your knowledge. I never heard of spud stones or plough marks so it is a good insight. These stones are located a long way from anything so to even think someone was working the land a way back is cool. The next time I'm out that direction I will get clearer photos. Thanks once again.

Advertisement