Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where have all the old boardsies gone?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

It was better before in that there was a far lower quotient of braindead/knuckledragging/lunatic, but it's better now IMO in the sense that it's more open and inclusive, less cliquey and esoteric.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

I tend to go a week or two without posting as I hate pretty much everyone here, then I come back to vent this hatred.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

guitarzero wrote: »
    I tend to go a week or two without posting as I hate pretty much everyone here, then I come back to vent this hatred.
    You used to be cool man :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Babybuff

been here since 2004

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Posting to check my join date! I still feel like a noob most of the time :)

I used to post a lot more but it's becoming less and less every time I see how many awful people there is on boards - a lot of posters are just nasty and there's an undercurrent of agression everywhere. It's definitely not the same as it used to be (I know that makes me sound like an oul one).

However, I've found Boards fantastic for keeping up with what's going on at home, it's made me feel connected with Ireland when I've been horrifically homesick and for that I will always be very grateful. I'm moving back to Ireland in 3 months so once that draw is no longer there for me I'm not sure about continuing to post.

The number one poster I miss is Monkeyfudge!

EDIT: Hmm - Oct 2006, interesting, where has all that time gone?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Where have all the old boardsies gone

They went and got a real life

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Sugar Free wrote: »
    And let's not forget the dreaded 03 30 server maintenance!
    Jay.Sus!

I'll give a 3-Penalty-Points-waiver (3PPW) to the person who can find that thread where we'd all try and be the last poster in and first back out. A 5PPW if you remember who always won!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I've being here too long, I think it wasn't even called boards when I signed up. T'was back when spelling names like l33t, DeVore and RasTa where all the rage.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,259 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

*Looks at registered date*

My shame knows no bounds :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Posting to check my date.

Woohoo! Am I oldschool?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Shield wrote: »
    Jay.Sus!

I'll give a 3-Penalty-Points-waiver (3PPW) to the person who can find that thread where we'd all try and be the last poster in and first back out. A 5PPW if you remember who always won!

Back when tCN was cool :D

Ruu was always snatching the win

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

2002 does that make me old? Joined to spam the counter strike forum.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

Sarky wrote: »
    sexy ****.

You rang?

old_aussie wrote: »
    Where have all the old boardsies gone

They went and got a real life
    Says the guy who posts on Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Doesn't make him wrong though, does it? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Wossack

hai-gais

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

watna wrote: »
    I used to post a lot more but it's becoming less and less every time I see how many awful people there is on boards - a lot of posters are just nasty and there's an undercurrent of agression everywhere. It's definitely not the same as it used to be (I know that makes me sound like an oul one).
    I see where you're coming from W. I even see it in myself TBH. I'm certainly more edgy, well... less accepting than I used to be on here. I was the caring sharing PI mod who loads thought I was a woman. Doubt they'd think that today. Maybe I'm picking up on the overall vibe, or maybe I'm just becoming a c u next tuesday? :) Probably the latter.

I think it started to change subtly around a couple years ago. Not because of Daft coming in either. That's been a good thing IMHO. I'd pin a lot of it to the whole "Pokergate" incident. It got real serious real quick and a large community at the time upped sticks and walked. That bad/unsettling/WTF feeling trickled around the place. Lines were drawn etc. Add in a wider audience and the oft necessary officialdom/play it safe stuff that comes with a business that's employing folks made it bigger, but more fractured I suppose? Those changes are going to be odd for a lot of longer term posters unless you kinda change with it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

What's pokergate, Wibbs? I remember the feedback ****-storm but didn't read it. A tl;dr p'haps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Dudess wrote: »
    What's pokergate, Wibbs? I remember the feedback ****-storm but didn't read it. A tl;dr p'haps?

IIRC some posters used a convo thread to troll other forums. Admins lost the rag, started banning and deleted the thread. Poker mods stepped down in protest and then it really escalated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

In my opinion it's this:

A lot of the younger generation who spent their teens on the likes of bebo would be joining forums like boards now because they've grown up a bit. But in saying that, after growing up using services like bebo where there are no repercussions for what you say and post, they just like to troll really. This has resulted in over moderation and lack of proper discussion in a lot of threads, which has made people decide to leave the forums.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

IIRC some posters used a convo thread to troll other forums. Admins lost the rag, started banning and deleted the thread. Poker mods stepped down in protest and then it really escalated

And we all laughed and laughed and laughed.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

watna wrote: »

Yep! There was way too much crazy and nasty for my liking.

I have an alt account that I use for just one forum, other than that I really don't see the appeal of boards anymore at all.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I have an alt account that I use for just one forum, other than that I really don't see the appeal of boards anymore at all.

Cat pictures, memes, picking fights with strangers and hating on everything.
    Cos everything sucks. Especially pokemon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

NOT SNORLAX!! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 989 ✭✭✭MrNuked

hiding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Rabies wrote: »
    Back when tCN was cool :D

:'(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Pokemon has been a difficult topic for me since I wasted my Master Ball on Articuno.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

MONKEYFUDGE IS ALIVE!!!!!! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

My current account was set up in 2005, but I've been lurking and posting here since 2002 at least. I abandoned my original account for privacy reasons. It's been so long that I'm not even sure what the username was now.

I probably post more now then ever. Although my posting is mostly restricted to the same few forums. It wasn't always that way. I think as the site as grown over the years individual forums have developed their own communities, where as there was a time when it felt like the whole site was one big community. I guess it still, but it's become much more fragmented.

I think most of the older posters who have gone away have done so because they got a life and/or became bored with the place. I may do the same one day as well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Four off the top of my head who I miss:

Whitewashman
    amp
    Typedef
    Ecksor

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement