Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion? 2!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

Can we delay a week or two. Let me finish my exams!

And we have our comic convention that weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

Hallo!!

New name mwahaha!

Beers on a weekday may be a thing of the past for me! I'll come down for a while whenever the beers are on anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Really general question here on fines etc. from the library.

I have 2 books (standard loans) due back Monday that I borrowed at the same time; does anyone know if the 50c charge is per book or just 50c for both?

Also do the fees recur on Weekdays only or do they charge 50c a day over the weekends too?

Just wondering because i'm back in Maynooth in 2 weeks anyway and i'd rather pay a 15e fee rather than travel all the way back up there, which would cost me almost double that amount anyway.

Sounds boardsers x

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Fine is per book, so 50c each/€1 for both per day. I think weekends are safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

"All library material on loan may be recalled by the Library at any time. Please note that you may be required to return the item sooner than the original due date. If the item is not returned on the revised due date, it becomes overdue and a fine will apply.
    In order to ensure that as many library users as possible have access to library material, users are encouraged to return items on time. To support this the Library charges fines on all items not returned on the due date. You will not be able to borrow or renew books if you have overdues or outstanding fines exceeding €5. The Library will send you an overdue notice via your university e-mail address. There is a charge of €0.50 for each notice generated. The fines are:

Standard Loans €0.50 per day
    Week Loans €1.00 per day
    Day Loans €2.00 per day"

took that straight from the library website wait for the first notice if both of the books are on the same notice I'm thinking it's 50c a day, but if they come as separate e-mails it's probably 50c a day/book (which I think it actually is but I don't know for definite as I think I took out 2 books in 4 years!)

• Advertisement

Fine is per book, so 50c each/€1 for both per day. I think weekends are safe.

Thanks MCR. It'd probably still be cheaper to just pay the fine and not travel up, with the cray cray prices of Irish Rail these days, so I think i'll do that! :P
    Stinjy wrote: »
    "All library material on loan may be recalled by the Library at any time. Please note that you may be required to return the item sooner than the original due date. If the item is not returned on the revised due date, it becomes overdue and a fine will apply.
    In order to ensure that as many library users as possible have access to library material, users are encouraged to return items on time. To support this the Library charges fines on all items not returned on the due date. You will not be able to borrow or renew books if you have overdues or outstanding fines exceeding €5. The Library will send you an overdue notice via your university e-mail address. There is a charge of €0.50 for each notice generated. The fines are:

Standard Loans €0.50 per day
    Week Loans €1.00 per day
    Day Loans €2.00 per day"

took that straight from the library website wait for the first notice if both of the books are on the same notice I'm thinking it's 50c a day, but if they come as separate e-mails it's probably 50c a day/book (which I think it actually is but I don't know for definite as I think I took out 2 books in 4 years!)

Thanks! I've renewed these books already and the notice due before the renewal came as one email, so it's possible it may just be 50c p/day!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Back in '04 I borrowed Finding Nemo from the DCU library. The overdue fine is €5 a day.

I owe them roughly €18,250.

Edit: I know a guy who still hadn't returned a book after he'd graduated. They sent him three letters over the course of a year:

Letter 1: Please return the book and pay the fine.

Letter 2: Look, never mind the fine, we'd just like the book back.

Letter 3: Congratulations! As a valued alumnus, please accept the book as a gift from NUI Maynooth.

banquo wrote: »
    Back in '04 I borrowed Finding Nemo from the DCU library. The overdue fine is €5 a day.

I owe them roughly €18,250.

Edit: I know a guy who still hadn't returned a book after he'd graduated. They sent him three letters over the course of a year:

Letter 1: Please return the book and pay the fine.

Letter 2: Look, never mind the fine, we'd just like the book back.

Letter 3: Congratulations! As a valued alumnus, please accept the book as a gift from NUI Maynooth.

A valued book stealing alumni, NUIM could do with more of your kind!

Thanks MCR. It'd probably still be cheaper to just pay the fine and not travel up, with the cray cray prices of Irish Rail these days, so I think i'll do that! :P

Thanks! I've renewed these books already and the notice due before the renewal came as one email, so it's possible it may just be 50c p/day!

It'll definitely be per book. Have you tried just renewing them again?

It'll definitely be per book. Have you tried just renewing them again?

I've renewed them once before but ill try renewing them a second time! :) says you can only do it once but I'll try it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,083 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Post them and your student card to someone you know up in or near Maynooth get them to return them and post your card back, will be cheaper than train fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

Post them and your student card to someone you know up in or near Maynooth get them to return them and post your card back, will be cheaper than train fare.

If theyre a student they wont need your card! You dont need to present the card when returning!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

I think for outside of term, there should be a facility where we can just mail the books back. It may cost money to post, but for many people it'd be nowhere near the cost of travelling all the way there ... unless they already allow that?

And on the subject of the library... anyone notice any of the databases missing? After finally finding a list of them (and don't you press any of the alphabetical links cause they don't work!) I went scrolling down the list and at least one of the ones I used regularly isn't there anymore.

mickstupp wrote: »
    I think for outside of term, there should be a facility where we can just mail the books back. It may cost money to post, but for many people it'd be nowhere near the cost of travelling all the way there ... unless they already allow that?

And on the subject of the library... anyone notice any of the databases missing? After finally finding a list of them (and don't you press any of the alphabetical links cause they don't work!) I went scrolling down the list and at least one of the ones I used regularly isn't there anymore.

Did you try search for it through the subject pages instead?

mickstupp wrote: »

that's true! it'd cost me well over 25 quid to get up for the day so i'll leave it t'feck until orientation week when i'm heading back up, the fine will only be 15 at the most so it'll be alright!

Sorry for adding the unnecessarily boring topic of library fines to the general discussion page lawds

Did you try search for it through the subject pages instead?

If I could find where the subject pages have been moved to...

Anyway, it shouldn't be this hard. It wasn't immediately obvious where to find things previously, but it was a damn sight better than it is now. In the name of progress, they've moved backwards. Usability thrown out the window. And it's one thing for those of us who've been around a while to go searching for things in out of the way places, because we know what we're looking for. Try telling a first year in a few weeks where to find something... they'll be looking at me like I've three heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Carey9

Hi guys,

I'm due to graduate next week. I've a 100quid outstanding library fee. Can I still graduate or does it have to be paid up? They said make sure you've paid all fees but nothing about not being able to graduate.

Cheers

Carey9 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I'm due to graduate next week. I've a 100quid outstanding library fee. Can I still graduate or does it have to be paid up? They said make sure you've paid all fees but nothing about not being able to graduate.

Cheers

https://www.maynoothuniversity.ie/conferring/before-conferring

They make a point of saying you'll be ineligible to graduate if you owe tuition fees, but they just say you should pay your outstanding library loan fees. Bad form not to, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

story with car parking this year ? The (impossible to use ) site says their "improving" the permit system this year but there's no other details or when they're available etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭Dickie10

cant wait to get back this year! whats the plan for the first week back? socially I mean?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

aaabbbb wrote: »
    story with car parking this year ? The (impossible to use ) site says their "improving" the permit system this year but there's no other details or when they're available etc.?

lol. Read; Gonna charge you mo money.

Going blind squinting trying to read your avatar. What it is, an avatar for ants?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

Funny, as I just noticed the zone signage missing from a few of the car parks when driving in this morning. Unless that was caffeine withdrawal.

lol. Read; Gonna charge you mo money.

Dunno why they can't just do it like DCU and use our student cards ?!

banquo wrote: »
    Going blind squinting trying to read your avatar. What it is, an avatar for ants?

It's this and I forgot it was there tbh :pac:

uyrOTcI.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

10401977_805552066131574_7459156493581220788_n.jpg

tumblr_static_tumblr_mfejjwnoyg1qfrrv2o1_500.png

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭breakfasttime

is anyone else having difficulty with online registration? I accept the terms and conditions but when I click "next step" a pop up box tells me I must complete step one before I continue. Had the same problem yesterday left it and tried again today with no luck.

is anyone else having difficulty with online registration? I accept the terms and conditions but when I click "next step" a pop up box tells me I must complete step one before I continue. Had the same problem yesterday left it and tried again today with no luck.

I don't think it's open yet. Calendar says next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭breakfasttime

I don't think it's open yet. Calendar says next week.

Thank you so much just back from picnic my brain isn't with!

Advertisement